Are electronics engineer job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most electronics engineer opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

angelo in Indianapolis, Indiana

77 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Noah in San Antonio, Texas

71 months ago

I'm not an engineer but my wife is an electronics engineer with SMT and PCB Assembly experience and I have been helping her find a job. Surprisingly, it is harder to find good positions for manufacturing engineers in the US than it is overseas...oh...and the overseas positions pay a lot less...outsourcing is a pain for Americans. However, if you want to live in developed modern country the majority of the jobs are in California...particularly southern (San Diego area) and northern...by San Fran. There are also a spattering of good jobs to be found in the midwest like Wisconsin (look in Milwauke and Green Bay) and North Texas. (Dallas/Ft. Worth). The most unfortunate thing is that most companies are outsourcing the manufacture of printed circuit boards to countries in Asia and India. Another option, if your interested in living overseas is England. There seems to be quite a few jobs in more rural areas of England. Finally, for the East Coast, consider searching Masachutsetts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melb_Guy in Melbourne, Australia

62 months ago

Hi Noah

I am planning to come to US on work & travel visa for 12 months. I graduated from last year. I have a Bachelor Of Engineering degree in Electronics. I have about 2 years experience working in SMT and PCB assembly area and Electronics board level repair from Australia. I have some knowledge and experience in embedded programming as well.
What is the best way to find a job in this field?
Can I directly contact companies and hand over my resume?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Melb_Guy in Melbourne, Australia

62 months ago

Noah in San Antonio, Texas said: I'm not an engineer but my wife is an electronics engineer with SMT and PCB Assembly experience and I have been helping her find a job. Surprisingly, it is harder to find good positions for manufacturing engineers in the US than it is overseas...oh...and the overseas positions pay a lot less...outsourcing is a pain for Americans. However, if you want to live in developed modern country the majority of the jobs are in California...particularly southern (San Diego area) and northern...by San Fran. There are also a spattering of good jobs to be found in the midwest like Wisconsin (look in Milwauke and Green Bay) and North Texas. (Dallas/Ft. Worth). The most unfortunate thing is that most companies are outsourcing the manufacture of printed circuit boards to countries in Asia and India. Another option, if your interested in living overseas is England. There seems to be quite a few jobs in more rural areas of England. Finally, for the East Coast, consider searching Masachutsetts.

Hi Noah

I am planning to come to US on work & travel visa for 12 months. I graduated from last year. I have a Bachelor Of Engineering degree in Electronics. I have about 2 years experience working in SMT and PCB assembly area and Electronics board level repair from Australia. I have some knowledge and experience in embedded programming as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter

62 months ago

Melb_Guy in Melbourne, Australia said: Hi Noah

Coming from overseas, if you know what companies that you want to work for, go to their websites and apply on-line. Then follow up with a phone call in a few days. You can use Indeed or Careerbuilder or Monster.com and look for jobs there too, but they are crowded. Make sure to note that you already have a visa and do not require sponsorship. Most companies will not take resumes in person anymore. Your best bet is to network with people that you may know here through friends and clients at your old job. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.