Electronics Technician with component level troubleshooting experience in R&D and manufacturing looking for work in Houston

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Real Tech in Willis, Texas

62 months ago

I am an Electronics Technician with 13 years experience in LWD/MWD. I worked in R&D for 6yrs assisting engineers in the development of digital and analog circuitry. I participated on a fast track project team in 2005 and I received a bonus greater that my years salary for the completion of a Density/Neutron Tool in a timely manner. I also worked in a fast paced production environment troubleshooting the more difficult problems.
I worked in A NASA environment for more than 10 yrs maintaining and repairing Space shuttle Launch Processing Systems. I have a strong personal interest in Electronics and over the years I have built many types of electronic devices with some of them being my own design.
The company I was working for was recently acquired by Smith and with the downturn in the industry I was laid off on the 3rd round. They kept some of the technicians who were recently hired in the last year who had very little experience and were not able to do much without assistance. I suspect they are trying to lower the average wages.
I am not having much luck finding any job in Electronics at any pay these days in Houston. Even the temporary staffing agencies have nothing. I have never had any problems finding an Electronics job before in my life. Any info or comments from others present experiences would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Good Tech in Colorado Springs, Colorado

60 months ago

Your comment is over a month ago, but I will still give it a shot. I loved your style and comments. You are not alone my friend. I have been an Electronic Tech for over 20 years. I too have never had trouble finding a job.
Until now. I was laid off in April in the 3rd or 4th round of layoffs at my company. (I lost count) The economy is making employers really leery. I lost out on a job recently by an engineer that had worked at the company and took the technician job! (talk about the kiss of death for HIS career).
I have built and tested innumerable boards, systems, and have supported and worked alongside many, many engineers. I think right now they are keeping the lid on hiring and that slows the economy even further.
Keep your head up. Keep looking and hopefully the economy will turn. Shoot for companies that have engineers you can trust and ask them to "create" a job for you.
Good luck amigo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

michael jackson in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

52 months ago

how did u do it all...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

pmorris in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

I am also in the same boat. I worked for AT&T for 14 1/2 years, I started as a telecommunications technician in 1996 with Ameritech in chicago and worked provisioning and maintenance on DS1's or 1.544 megahertz and DS3's 45 megahertz circuits and then I worked on OC3's, OC12's, OC48's, OC192,OC768's and some densewave division multiplexors trouble-shooting and testing and turnups accessing circuits remotely. I accepted a management position for Manager Technical analysis after 8 years and trained other technician to work on telecommunication circuits. Then SBC purchased Ameritech and I was transfered to SBC Long Distance here I worked as a Senior Network Control Engineer ordering and testing and turning up long haul circuits. Then SBC bought AT&T and I was transferred over to AT&T long distance as an Associate Tech Provisioning Manager and after 14 1/2 half years and above average reviews or A&D's I was surplused and was given severance but I wanted to work. We cleared up all backlogs that they had and even worked with their routers to perform disconnects. I guess we just worked ourselves out of a job and because they couldn't find enough work for us.
They won't hire me back at the same salary even thou when I started working for AT&T they were a 20 billion dollar a year company and per the CEO Randall Stephenson they are now a 120 billion dollar a year company.
Now they can hire someone at a cheaper rate and straight out of College and the people who got them where they're at will struggle to find other employment. Forgive me for my attitude but it hurts to know that it's so easy to be set aside after so many years of loyal work. I f anyone wants to hire a loyal employee who will work at a superior level please send me the info. Signed desparate!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hightechanalog in Raleigh, North Carolina

10 months ago

Interesting to see that this thread was started over 4 years ago. Although a short thread, a very relevant topic--especially now more than ever.

As an electronics technician with 22 years experience in high-tech, professional audio manufacturing / engineering, biomedical engineering, etc., I have come to a conclusion that this career is done and over. In fact, it has been for quite some time. Call me stubborn or perhaps naive about this so called career path.

Adaptation is important.
However, not all current day "electronics technicians" can adapt. Besides the economics that fuel the simple idea that items or equipment that once required service were worth repairing are now so far tipped on the wrong side of the scale (i.e., the old TV or VCR repairperson lost their line of work long, long ago). Now, those of us in the remaining industries find ourselves not only competing for the few jobs that are left--most of them pay at an insulting hourly rate! Few exception can be made. If you have a job in the very-high-tech industry and are lucky enough to have job security, perhaps you are making $52k or thereabout.

However, most electronics tech jobs today pay so little that is is laughable. You can get a job at Whole Foods for $14/hr and yet, a tech like me with over 2 decades of work experience can now expect to make $10 - $16 / hr (for most jobs out there).

My advice to anyone who is considering a career in electronics: don't. Go with software dev. Geez, just look out there you'll see that the pay is anywhere between $40k to upwards of $125k.

My advice to anyone who is currently an unemployed Electronics Technician still looking for work: give up and change careers. You'll be glad you did in the long run. I promise you that no matter how excellent a tech you are (discrete, I.C.s, analog, digital, component level troubleshooting, surface-mount rework under a microscope, complex circuit analysis, prototyping), your skill (and mine) is no longer needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Becki in Greensboro, North Carolina

4 months ago

Hi, my name is Becki and I am the HR from Little Creek Electronics in Greensboro NC. My company is a small but stable company growing every day. I currently have 3 positions available for electronic technicians. If North Carolina is an option for you, please email your resume to jobs@littlecreek.biz. my number is. Thank you very much, Becki

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.