Electronics certificate or A.S. degree?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Erik S. in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

I have a certificate in Elec. Tech. and I have been without a job since Feb. Get a A.S. degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ferd in Winston Salem, North Carolina

82 months ago

Ask your career guidance counsler at your school (hope you have one). They should know local companies who might hire people with these certificates. They should also be able to help you set up interviews, prepare resumes and cover letters, and prep you for appearance and how to answer questions.

However, the A.S. degree will open more doors and help you advance your career. Many companies, especially those outside your local area, may not recognize your school and may be leery of its certificate. An A.S. from and accredited school is easier to sell to HR folks who really don't understand the techie world.

Since you've almost completed your certificate, finish it. Then through your job hunting experiences you can probably answer your own question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stan Middlebrooks in Birmingham, Alabama

82 months ago

You will find many doors closed to anything
less that an Associate Degree, especially in
governmental, unionized, and high tech areas. The openings available to non A.S. job candidates tend to be entry level, simple, boring and the people in them considered non-promotable and therefore deadended. Take what you have and add to it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Hoggin512 in Austin, Texas

80 months ago

Which inconvenience would you rather have, driving 20 miles to obtain an AS degree, which would better your chances of finding a decent job or obtaining a cerc, which would lessen your chance of getting a job period in the field? Think!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

nyamekye joseph in Accra, Ghana

80 months ago

i want to lean how to use it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

i want to know how to use it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

i need certificate pls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John Doe in Point Pleasant, West Virginia

59 months ago

Jackson in Santa Clara, California said: I am about to get a certificate from a inexpensive vocational school which is close to me. Is a certificate enough to get to get a job in electronics or do I have to get an A.S. degree? The closest community college which offers an electronics A.S. degree is a 20-30 minute drive, so it's sort of inconvenience, but I will do it if I have to.

I drove over an hour to goto a tech school. I have been employed ever since, thankfully. It will be worth it if you can do it. The job you get will pay for the tuition many times over. It's bad economic times right now, but I was able to get rehired into a new job after being laid off in the middle of this recession. Good luck. You probably have the basic fundamentals down pat and getting that degree would probably be pretty easy for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

wanzam in Accra, Ghana

55 months ago

i took certificate in telecom engineering in Ghana Telecom University i am now seeking for job can you help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Harvey in Woonsocket, Rhode Island

17 months ago

I have this experience and my current company will not let me work on digital circuits because I am not an electronics technician, but the person with the degree in IT was trained to. SO get one.

June 2004 to present not an Electronics Technician Rhode Island
*Troubleshoot switching mode power supplies to component
1995 to 2004 Worked for a number of companies as a per diem, to include the following duties.

Senior lead technician
Supporting Pro Pallet 8000 production.
*Troubleshoot digital and analog boards to component level.
*ECO rework to prototype surface mount circuit boards.
*Designed a watch board circuit to overcome a microprocessor boot failure.
*Reduced repair backlog from a nominal 120 plus units to 20 units or less, while reducing
percentage of boards scrapped.
*Developed new technical procedures, and trained personal in their use..
Supporting emergency lighting.production
*Redesigned existing lead acid / incandescent emergence lighting system into new unit
utilizing NiCad batteries and LEDs.
*Created a design fix for an unstable shutdown of the existing lead acid battery /
incandescent based emergence lighting system.

MILITARY SERVICE

1979 to 1985 UNITED STATES AIR FORCE (U.S. and Europe)
Integrated Avionics Communications, Navigation and
*Troubleshoot F-16 system problems in communication, navigation, and
EDUCATION:

Currently: attending college, and executing a course of self-study with certification.
*Brainbench Transcript ID#:
1973 to 1979 HARVARD H. ELLIS TECHNICAL SCHOOL (Danielson, CT)
*Certified in Industrial Electronics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.