Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable electronics technician? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective electronics technician?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

John Doe in Point Pleasant, West Virginia

60 months ago

I went to a tech school and got an associates degree in electronics and computer engineering technology. It took about 19 months. I got hired immediately out of tech school to a company called Alcatel Lucent as an "RF tester". I worked there 10 years until they outsourced the work to China and Mexico. Since I knew I was going to get laid off, I started job searching and got a job as a control technician in a power plant. I have been consistently employed after getting my degree. I'd recommend it to anyone. There are quite a few people that are retiring right now in the power plant industry. It's a good time for people right out of college, and experience will help, but I have seen them hire people right out of college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

gander627 in Detroit, Michigan

59 months ago

Can you tell me about what salary you are making ? I am seriously thinking of going for an associate degree in this area and changing from retail. I make so little, I need something with decent money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.