Jobs for Navy Aviation Electronics Technician

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Brian in San Diego, California

68 months ago

I'm currently in the Navy as an Aviation Electronics Technician and looking a job when I separate in about six months. Where is a good place to start my job hunt?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

James Sirles in Media, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

Brian,
I am a retired Master Chief workiing as Operations Manager for a small manufacturing company in southern NJ. I am looking for someone with your skill set to fill a service technician position. If you are interested, please send an electronic copy of your resume to:
jsirles@bioclimatic.com

Thanks and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

TJ

66 months ago

Brian in San Diego, California said: I'm currently in the Navy as an Aviation Electronics Technician and looking a job when I separate in about six months. Where is a good place to start my job hunt?

I seperated over a year ago, same rate.

I am currently the 2nd shift electronics tech for the most sophisticated meat processing plat in the world. You might be like "Meat precoessing? wtf?" but it is a very complicated system, almost rivaling the hornet... Very challenging and spontaneous. You never know what will break down.

I started my job search based on where I wanted to live, close to home. If you don't mind being a ways from home, I'd suggest searching for a position that has the best salary to cost of living ratio.

Anyways, hope this helps.
--TJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jet in Hampstead, New Hampshire

63 months ago

Get your (FCC general radiotelephone operator license), if you don't already have it. This will be an extra on your resume and may give you an edge over another similarly qualified applicant.

Also stay brushed up on your basic electronic theory and formulas, the stuff you don't use everyday on the job and only use for tests! You probably know what I mean. You'll most likely have to take a qualifications test for any tech job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJB in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

There is a lot of work for electronics technicians at the Air Force bases near Las Vegas.

JT3 LLC is looking for a bunch right now. www.JT3.com

So is Arcata Associates, INC. www.arcataassoc.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJB in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

Also, for the San Diego Area, check out General Atomics. www.ga.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Murrieta, California

63 months ago

Thank you very feedback. I really appreciate it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CJB in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

Hot off the press...Avionics Tech in San Diego...Pay is just under $27 an hour.

go to www.l-3com.com/careers/search.aspx

Job Description:

Position requires flexible shift work and ability to travel. Pays AWD (currently $23.12/hr) plus $3.24/hr as a health and welfare benefit.

Maintains, repairs, and installs various types of electronic equipment and related devices such as electronic transmitting and receiving equipment (e.g., radar, radio, television, telecommunication, sonar, and navigational aids); personal and mainframe computers and terminals; industrial, medical, measuring, and controlling equipment; satellite equipment; and industrial robotic devices. Applies technical knowledge of electronics principles in determining equipment malfunctions, and applies skill in restoring equipment operations.

Applies comprehensive technical knowledge to solve complex problems by interpreting manufacturers’ manuals or similar documents. Work requires familiarity with the interrelationships of circuits and judgment in planning work sequence and in selecting tools and testing instruments.

Receives technical guidance, as required, from supervisor or higher level technician, and work is reviewed for compliance with accepted practices. May provide technical guidance to lower level technicians.

Minimum 7 years maintenance and modification experience with Marine Corps rotary wing aircraft required. Ability to work flexible schedules. Extensive travel may be required.

Must be able to obtain and maintain security clearance.

We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.

POSITIONS AVAILABLE IN JACKSONVILLE, NC AND LEXINGTON, KY AS WELL!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJB in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

I don't want to overload your email, but I found some more openings. I'm just trying to help out. I was a Navy ET for 6 years and I've been a civilian Electronics Technician for another 6. I know how daunting it is to find a civilian job, when you're coming from the military. But believe me, the demand for your services is out there. You just have to look.

Check out these places:

www.navair.navy.mil/nawcwd/nawcwd/employment/index.html

careers.northropgrumman.com/ExternalHorizonsWeb/getCareerHome.do

www.lockheedmartinjobs.com/jobsearch_all.

www.careerjet.com/

www.dcscorp.com/default.aspx

textron.recruitmax.com/main/careerportal/default.cfm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJB in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

When you log on to the career search of the big companies like LM or NG, diversify your search terms. You could search for "avionics", "technician", "electronics technician", "engineering technician", "test technician", and so forth. You'd be surprised whats available for your specialized skillset.

CJB in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

One last website. I promise.

www.aea.net/Careers/default.asp

Tony in Lewisville, Texas

62 months ago

Brian in San Diego, California said: I'm currently in the Navy as an Aviation Electronics Technician and looking a job when I separate in about six months. Where is a good place to start my job hunt?

Dallas TX...contact Aerotek staffing as they the main contacts with this industry. I am an electronics technician myself, but have no avionics experience and therefore do not qualify. So give them a call and good luck.

Techman in Austin, Texas

62 months ago

mcolasacco in Greeley, Colorado said: Do not separate, until you retire: life outside right now is hard on this industry; You have good benefits and a place of work, I know it seems like a long way away at times, but 20 years goes by fast. and if you started like i did,
@ 17 or 18 you will still be young enough to get a govt job and retire again.

He didn't ask that. Brian I am a prior Navy Electronics Tech, and this guy is either one of two people you will encounter:
1. A guy that thinks there is nothing outside the military, since he has been sheltered by the military for 20 years.
2. An unemployed angry technician that wants to discourage you from seperating because military Techs run circles around civilian Techs.
Back to your question, All you really have to do is pick the city you want to live in, then search on indeed. Orion international, Lucas Group, these recruiters love guys with our backgrounds. You will be okay, you will probably have a job within days of seperating. If your resume shows your still active, some companies may just be waiting. Good luck!

jsirles in Riverside, New Jersey

62 months ago

Brian, I am still looking for a service tech and you are within one month of EAOS. See below. The job market is getting tight, but I have hired seven new employees within the last six months. Our business is good. The job involves travel throughout the US. We are based in NJ, just east of Philadelphia and about 50 miles from Atlantic City and the Jersey Shore, so there are plenty of leasure activities.

Brian,
I am a retired Master Chief workiing as Operations Manager for a small manufacturing company in southern NJ. I am looking for someone with your skill set to fill a service technician position. If you are interested, please send an electronic copy of your resume to:
jsirles@bioclimatic.com

Lorri Porcincula in Seattle, Washington

62 months ago

Brian,

I work for a company called Vertical Path Recruiting in Seattle, WA.

We specialize in placement of military folks.

www.verticalpathrecruiting.com

Regards,

Lorri

SH in Vista, California

53 months ago

I'm a prior Navy Aviation Electronics Technician that transitioned back into the civilian realm working for a company as their network administrator and managing all other electronic systems (audio visual, security surveillance, etc) within the building and for clients. You’re doing the right thing by not waiting until you’re out of the service to start the job search process. There are opportunities available, just put yourself in the position you want to be.

KeenanAT in Springfield, Missouri

16 months ago

Hoping this forum isn't dead. I recently separated from the Navy as a Aviation electronics technician 3rd class and am some difficulties finding a career. I was in for 4 years and have a good amount experience. Visited some of the site above and applied but nothing. I've been out almost 12 months now and fear my key time zone to find a career is running out. Any current advice or known positions available?!?!?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.