Looking for Employment in the Electronic and Computer Field

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Matthew

88 months ago

Thank youi for your information. I will start looking in florida for a small company and may decide to venture out to Texas.

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

larry in Wichita, Kansas

64 months ago

I am starting my schooling at ITT TECH. What would be a good way for me to get experience while I am going to school. I'm studying computer electronic engineer technology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

techgrad in Davison, Michigan

56 months ago

What is the most effective method of tracking down small electronic companies, and building up skills in lieu of employment? Every electronic job post either ask for an Associates(which I have) with two years or more experience(can't even get my foot in the door). More commonly, Bachelors with 3-5 experience and most know a bunch of esoteric design programs just to qualify! Any advice?, I'd kill to make $10/hour alone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

e148 in Austin, Texas

56 months ago

Part 2,

I do not know how a company can define entry-level as 1-3 years of experience. How does one get the 1 year when that or more is what is needed to get the job? It is a contradiction. Again it is DRE not just any electronics experience. Most other areas of life consider zero years of experience as entry-level. An entry-level home buyer is a first time home buyer, for example, no experience buying a home.

I have been told that skills transfer but I can tell you that they do not (Unix-Linux experience).

I went to college beyond by electronics schooling. My academic adviser said that college was just to see how trainable you are and that the company you go to work for will train you on what they want you to do.

This has not been true for me.

I have been turned down for jobs because I have education beyond an Associate's degree.

I have worked for a small company recently I probably will not do so again. It was hell. I also quit working for a major corporation as a tech to go to work for a small company as a Test Engineer. Abut a year and a half later they lay me off and I have had a hard time getting any job since, even a tech job job that I did for almost 25 years.

Good Luck trying to get into the field!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

e148 in Austin, Texas

56 months ago

The number of electrical and electronic engineering technician jobs is expected to decline by 2 percent between 2008 and 2018, signifying little or no change. Despite rising demand for electronic goods—including communications equipment, defense-related equipment, medical electronics, and consumer products—foreign competition in design and manufacturing, together with increased efficiencies in the design process, will reduce demand for these workers.

So I am not sure why people are going into the field at all.

I am sorry to say that the Military maybe the best alternative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

e148 in Austin, Texas

56 months ago

Once in the military try to get a security clearance, i.e., a job whereby the military will get you a clearance. There are some good paying electronics tech jobs that require security clearances once you get out. I am talking in the neighborhood of $75-100K a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kramer in Calgary, Alberta

54 months ago

I am looking for a job in the electronics industry. I have a good background in Card Access and CCTV systems. I also have experience in low voltage audio and video installations. Work in the Calgary, Alberta, Canada area is pretty slim right now. But, I feel that every little bit helps. If the salary is right, I will move to a different location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

harry in Elk Grove, California

54 months ago

larry in Wichita, Kansas said: I am starting my schooling at ITT TECH. What would be a good way for me to get experience while I am going to school. I'm studying computer electronic engineer technology.

i am going to itt tech too in sacramento for my electrical and computer engineering

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jerald rhodes in Pottsboro, Texas

53 months ago

Go back to school and get your Bachelors Degree imediately!
Most jobs reqire minimum BS degree these days.
Fewer employers are hiring ASEET when they can have BSEET for the same price.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ScatCat in Beaverton, Oregon

53 months ago

jerald rhodes in Pottsboro, Texas said: Go back to school and get your Bachelors Degree imediately!
Most jobs reqire minimum BS degree these days.
Fewer employers are hiring ASEET when they can have BSEET for the same price.

BSEE in a bench tech position. Overqualified, worker with big student debt,low wages angling for a engineering job that will not come.

tonya williams in Meridian, Mississippi

52 months ago

EET in Corpus Christi, Texas said: Matthew, i dont know about Florida, but in Texas the electronics jobs are plentiful,Houston, Dallas, Austin, SanAntonio areas. However the entry pay maybe low (12.00 - 15.00) in the southern part of Texas Corpus Christi. You have no prior experience, so I would suggest starting with a small company to get experience, then move on. I work for BakeHughes Oil Field its a fortune 500 company in Texas troubleshooting electronics to curcuit board level and it pays great. Well good luck hunting.

i am also in school with Devry University online and I need a job in computer and electronics I live in meridian MS

ejjean81 in Fort Myers, Florida

52 months ago

I just started school at ITT Tech in ft myers FL, i am taking computer electronics. i would like to know did i make the rigth choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

how much is the entry level for electronic tech wiht and AS degree

nortash15@aol.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

52 months ago

No one can tell you if you made the right choice you just have to work hard prepare to start at the bottom when you graduate and continue working hard to reach to the top. It see like Texas has a lot of jobs in the field in Florida entry level electronic tech with an AS degree pay no more than $12.00 per hour.

52 months ago

i heard that if someone is graduate from itt-tech it is hard to get a job, because they are not an accredited school is that true?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nortash15@aol.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

51 months ago

DeVry is a good University

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bennymo3388 in Apo

47 months ago

I am currently in the US Air Force and I am thinking about getting out soon. I have a Secret Security Clearence and currently working in Satellite Communications. I am going for my Bachelor's degree and deciding if I should go for the Engineering or Technician route. Any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dramondeantoine in Virginia Beach, Virginia

47 months ago

Hey I have 6 years in industrial, commercial, and residential electrical installations. I just finished a 4 year apprenticeship in the process of getting my state certification. I just currently enrolled at Devry for an Associates in Electronic Computer Tech.My question is, considering my background what is a ideal job to start looking into?

Ashton in Boynton Beach, Florida

43 months ago

I am currently working in the IT field but have a level of entry experience and entry level experience in electronics and live ine florida. I am looking for a better job, I have an associates degree in electronics, if I can get an oppertunity from an employer it would be great for me. I need a job in the fort lauderdale, westpalm beach and miami area thats going to give me a chance.

khan3378 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

43 months ago

Steve S. in Jupiter, Florida said: Matthew - are you still out there? I'm an employer in Fort Lauderdale looking for someone with an electronic background, less for bench work but more for systems & sometimes site work locally and sometimes nationally and internationally. We're in the marine field.
If you're interested email me you CV
jobs@thalest.com

Mr. Steve if your still looking for any techs I would be interested in working for your company and even paying for my own relocation expenses. Please email me at khan3378@yahoo.com. This also goes for any companies in the Texas area as well.

Electronics Tech in Blackwood, New Jersey

42 months ago

bennymo3388 in Apo said: I am currently in the US Air Force and I am thinking about getting out soon. I have a Secret Security Clearence and currently working in Satellite Communications. I am going for my Bachelor's degree and deciding if I should go for the Engineering or Technician route. Any thoughts?

I was in the Marine Corps. I went from radio repair to satallite communications. I obtained a top secret clearance while I was in. I'm currently enrolled in college getting a degree in Engineering Technology to add to my vocational high school education in electronics. I currently make $15 an hour (in New Jersey) repairing/modding rf cable amplifiers. This is one of the routes of a technician.

The question you have asked is one I have asked myself many times. The answer depends on you. Do you want to be the brain thinking up the idea or the hands manifesting the brains thoughts in the physical world? Do you want to think of an idea, draw it up and then hand it over to someone else to build/test/repair and then get back to you on what to do in order to improve it? If so then you should become an Engineer. If you want to take someone else's idea and build/test/repair it and then suggest to them how they can improve it then be a technician.

The difference is: one is more theoretical (engineer) while the other is more hands on (technician). Can an Engineer do the job of a Technician? From what I've seen a great Engineer can but most cannot. They don't think linearly, they think abstractly. Can a Technician do the job of an Engineer? From what I've seen a great Technician can but most cannot. We don't think abstractly, we think think linearly. Take a look at an engineering course in science vs an engineering technology course in applied science at your local college. The differences you see in the math classes required for each will be the differences between an engineer and an engineering tech that you see when you get into the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Forgot to add that when it comes to a good job with good pay the difference between an engineer and an engineering tech is 5k a year. Don't do what you do for the money. Do what you do for the love of what you do and the money will come.

42 months ago

another addition- I do not have a good job with good pay. I am currently a temp for a good company trying to get my foot in the door. 8 months and still waiting. The economy is hard for everyone. Keep your head up and follow your dreams.

Ngong123 in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

I will be graduating from Calstate Northridge with a bachelor of science in Electrical Engineering in June 2012. I am very independent. I have to work very hard to pay my tuition and survive as I don't qualify for financial aid or student loan. I have been looking for a job or an internship in the field. I don't really have any related experience and I am willing to work very hard to gain it. Any offer will be very appreciative.
My email is enyou60@gmail.com
Emmanuel

Golfe in Trenton, New Jersey

40 months ago

I am a woman, I have 6 years of Aeronautical radio technician experiance as a Jr level. naturaly am made for electronics. I have passion and big dream,after I move to USA from my home country I dont know how to get to the field.I start online study in electronics engineering for my Associate. I also belive I need technological advancement cources to upgrade my self for the challenges by taking short cources which can help me to find job as soon as possible. I do maintenance, installation etc. Can any one tell me very short cources from 1-3 month? any advice how to get a repair technician job in NJ?

J_Millz in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

I currently have combined 1 year experience as an Electronics Technician. I was working as a tech almost a full year before I got out of school, so it is possible to secure employment in your field of study before leaving school. I left the field to resume my educational endeavors in business and it is ROUGH trying to get back into field. If anyone has any advice, I would be glad to receive it. Thank you all in advance.

Ayan22 in Arlington, Virginia

40 months ago

I am currently have Electronic Engineering Tech. AS Degree and Electrical Technician Diploma. I was working as a tech. for fixing copy mach., fax, and printers. about 6 years

I want to work on my field and trying to get job out there in Washington,DC areas with any pay I can not find any entry lever or etc

If anyone has any advice, please let me know. Thank you so much!!

QuisVin82 in columbus, Ohio

39 months ago

Hi everyone! My name is Marquis and I am a newly graduated A. A. S. electronics degree holder with 6+ years of combined experience in digital circuitry. I am trying to network as much as I can in order to become more experienced in this field, and of course to land a job. I am in Columbus, Ohio to further education. Any suggestions and/or job offers are greatly appreciated; thank you in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wukongxiang in Colorado Springs, Colorado

38 months ago

Hey all, My name is Luke and like most from this posting I'm currently also just trying to get my foot in the door into the electrical engineering field. I've been an electronic tech for 6 years in the Navy and currently trying to get my bachelor's in the engineering field. If my memory serves me correct, I still have a secret clearence from the military if not atleast a confidential (might of missed my window on renewal of my clearence). I keep looking for work in these hard times, along with continuing with schooling, but almost every field seems to want too many years already associated in the field or completion of your degree (sadly to say that with the cuts in VA benefits is too much and now I desire to find a job) I'm at the point that even just a $10-$12 per hour is enough for me. I would go onto unemployment, but I set my standards higher then people that just don't want to search for all possibilities. If anyone knows of any job offers in something close to this field it would be much appreciated. Thank you for all your hard work and time.

Skippy77d in Kansas City, Missouri

38 months ago

My name is Richard, and much like most of the other posters, I am searching for that much needed " Real World Experience ". I have been a Tech for over 10 years but have just receintly acquired my A.A.S.C.E.E.T. I did my best and graduated top of my class, but the career change leaves me with no employment records in this field, and it is difficult to get that foot in the door. Internships and part time gigs will be researched and evaluated as well as any full time employment offers. I am working full time, but will adjust my schedule to suite the needs of the right opportunity. For more information and/or a current resume, please contact me at Richard.Vaughn2011@yahoo.com

Jessica Kniss in Casper, Wyoming

35 months ago

I finished my BSECET in March from ITT and I am now employed with Halliburton as an Electronics Technician making 17.00/hr. (looking at 60-90 hours a week) I have had no work in my field, so this is an entry level job. The jobs are out there, just gotta look. Good luck!

Carl DeArmond in Maineville, Ohio

35 months ago

Steve S. in Jupiter, Florida said: Matthew - are you still out there? I'm an employer in Fort Lauderdale looking for someone with an electronic background, less for bench work but more for systems & sometimes site work locally and sometimes nationally and internationally. We're in the marine field.
If you're interested email me you CV
jobs@thalest.com

I'm looking for a job in Electronics I have my AS Degree in Computer Electronic Enginneering I live in Cincinnati but I'm willing to move if giving job + houseing

QuisVin82 in columbus, Ohio

35 months ago

I am also curious for any volunteer programs that work with DeVry students and the VA.

RecruitGR in Concord, California

34 months ago

Hello,
I'm the in house recruiter for Game Ready. We're a small medical devise company geared towards the Orthopedic and Sports & Rehab field. I'm currently conducting a search for a Sr. Electronics Technician for our Concord CA office. Medical devise experience and LabVIEW a plus. Experience with trouble shooting on the board level, A MUST. We want to interview ASAP. Please review specs below.

Local Candidates Only
Position Title: Sr. Electronics Technician
Company: Game Ready
Recruiter: Sal Castillo

The candidate must have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.

Responsibilities Include:
• R&D
o Help with R&D, prototyping, testing and refining new product ideas, components and products.
o Identify and implement methods of testing new components and systems.
o PCB and system testing
o Writing and executing verification protocols, including defining acceptance criteria
• Sustaining Engineering
o Establish and implement testing procedures that prove product design reliability, safety and efficacy
o Suggest, prototype, test and implement design improvements on existing products
o Test fixture design, build, calibration and documentation
o Root cause and failure analysis
o Write work instructions for service and repair
o Train service personnel in new procedures

Minimum Education/Experience Requirements:
• Associates degree in electronics or equivalent
• First hand experience solving electromechanical problems in the real world
• System, subsystem and component/board level trouble shooting
• Strong understanding of Analog and Digital circuitry
• Surface mount and thru hole soldering proficiency
• Proficient in MS Word and Excel

Other desired experience
• Medical device experience under FDA design control, CGMP and/or 13485 regulations strongly preferred
• Electromechanical devices, mechanisms, fluidics experience
Lab view a strong plus
• Test fixture design and developmen

Greg S in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

34 months ago

GE Healthcare hires electronic techs to be 'biomeds' repairing hospital Biomedical equipment for $15 an hour (internship) and then bumps them up to $18 an hour including benefits/retirement when hired full-time. BTW, once hired we have an amazing benefits package including tuition reimbursement if you plan on furthering your education.

Call around your area and find out which biomed shops are GE, then you can ask them for their DOS (Director of Service) info and they could give you a better idea of when they are going to be looking for paid interns. You will have to fly down to Jupiter FL for one week training/GE orientation (all expenses paid for hotel, travel, food, airfare) to get a better understanding of how the 'wheels spin' at GE and what is expected of you as a new Biomed Tech.

I notice GE has LOTS of ex-military folks working on the biomed side and doing field service such as Diagnostic Imaging (CT, MRI, X-ray, Ultrasound, C-arms,.... etc). We also repair laboratory equipment.

All you need is to be ex-military or have a 2 year degree in electronics from a Community College or a school like Devry. Hope this help.

Greg S

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

leroybowmanairborne in Atlanta, Georgia

29 months ago

My name is sabrina ,recently laid off after 10 years at panasonic;are there any companies hireing electronic technician in georgia .The pay scale has droped from 18.00 to 8.00 dollars a hour .please help willing to relocate out of state or international.

mto458 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

My son just graduated from a two-year college in our area with an associate degree in Electronics. Just a month after graduating, he will soon be starting a very good job.I think this company was really looking for someone with at least 3 years of experience, but they couldn't find anyone and called the school. Luckily for my son, the college he attended has an excellent reputation in our area, and even in this bad job market, boasts a 96% rate of employment for the students.

mto458 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

Yes, I think it depends on where you live. We actually moved from southern California several years ago, and the job market there is far worse than the job market here.

tom in Knoxville, Tennessee

22 months ago

lauraj in San Francisco, California said: My name is Laura and I am one of the expert recruiters with JustAnswer®. We are currently seeking experts in the field of electronics , who have strong knowledge and expertise, and wanted to extend an invitation to any qualified experts to become an expert with JustAnswer®!

JustAnswer® is the largest Q&A website featuring qualified, credentialed professionals in hundreds of categories, like Electronics. As a Quantcast Top 200 site, we get thousands of questions from customers every day, and we need Experts to provide great answers!

Answering questions on JustAnswer.com is a great way for you to use your electronics expertise to help people online and earn additional money on your own schedule. Last month, our top electronics expert earned just over $10,000.

How it Works
Once you’re accepted as a JustAnswer Expert, simply log on to our website to see new questions posted in real time.
Answer any questions you think you can give an outstanding answer to.
Get paid every time a customer accepts your answer.

Apply Today
Qualified JustAnswer Electronics Experts must have a relevant educational degree, license or certification or at least 2 years of professional experience providing technical support or repair to electronics.

<a href=" www.justanswer.com/expert/credential/become_an_expert.aspx?r=er |indd&amp;fid=50">Learn More</a>

It's free to apply, so <a href=" www.justanswer.com/expert/credential/application_login.aspx?r=er |indd&amp;fid=50">Apply Now</a>

This is ridiculous, I just show my degree and experience

tom in Knoxville, Tennessee

22 months ago

mto458 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania said: My son just graduated from a two-year college in our area with an associate degree in Electronics . Just a month after graduating, he will soon be starting a very good job.I think this company was really looking for someone with at least 3 years of experience, but they couldn't find anyone and called the school. Luckily for my son, the college he attended has an excellent reputation in our area, and even in this bad job market, boasts a 96% rate of employment for the students.

Better if his college is accreditated from a national recognized accreditation like Middle schools and such.
www.msche.org/

mporchia91

21 months ago

Hey my name is malvin and i just graduated from itt- tachnical institute with my associates degree computer electronics engineering technition i have been searching and searching for jobs since i moved here to jacksonville fl. Do anybody have leads on how i can find a job in my field of study? I know the degree is not accredited but its a degree so i should be able to get a job in my field of study somehow? Do anybody know what i could do ?

Scott in Washington, District of Columbia

21 months ago

mporchia91 said: Hey my name is malvin and i just graduated from itt- tachnical institute with my associates degree computer electronics engineering technition i have been searching and searching for jobs since i moved here to jacksonville fl. Do anybody have leads on how i can find a job in my field of study? I know the degree is not accredited but its a degree so i should be able to get a job in my field of study somehow? Do anybody know what i could do ?

I'd suggest not limiting yourself. Our field of study is BROAD! In 15 years the only time I've been without work is when I want really looking. I've repaired computers, AC and DC generators, cable and audio amplifiers, HVAC units, I've done residential and commercial electric and now I install/troubleshoot electronic equipment on city buses. Not all have been great, some anyone could do...but because of my experience I'm usually hired at the interview.

mporchia91

21 months ago

Scott in Washington, District of Columbia said: I'd suggest not limiting yourself. Our field of study is BROAD! In 15 years the only time I've been without work is when I want really looking. I've repaired computers, AC and DC generators, cable and audio amplifiers, HVAC units, I've done residential and commercial electric and now I install/troubleshoot electronic equipment on city buses. Not all have been great, some anyone could do...but because of my experience I'm usually hired at the interview.

Ok thanks can i ask what jobs do i look to apply for?just to get started ?

Scott in Pitman, New Jersey

21 months ago

mporchia91 said: Ok thanks can i ask what jobs do i look to apply for?just to get started ?

that depends on what you're into. I'd start with a quick Craig's list job search on the words electronic/electrical tech. with only a two year degree and no other relevant experience Craig's list is your best friend for contact jobs to pad your resume and get you acclimated to the field. In this field the only limit is you. Be as creative as you want. Damn near everything done today has an electronic system involved.

mporchia91

21 months ago

Scott in Pitman, New Jersey said: that depends on what you're into. I'd start with a quick Craig's list job search on the words electronic/electrical tech. with only a two year degree and no other relevant experience Craig's list is your best friend for contact jobs to pad your resume and get you acclimated to the field. In this field the only limit is you. Be as creative as you want. Damn near everything done today has an electronic system involved.

Ok ok yea il try that then. But i thaught alot of craiglist jobs are not reliable sources?

Scott in Pitman, New Jersey

21 months ago

mporchia91 said: Ok ok yea il try that then. But i thaught alot of craiglist jobs are not reliable sources?

There are alot of fakes out there. There are companies like that every where. Gotta be able to spot the waste of time. That can only be learned first hand though. The only things I can say about that are things like: don't give out your personal info like it's free, because there are companies that party for it, or don't sign up for a free credit report...and other common sense things like it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.