how long did it take you to get a job as an electronics tech, with your A.S.?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

nathanielfirst in Austin, Texas

58 months ago

not certificate, assuming a fairly determined search

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John Doe in Point Pleasant, West Virginia

58 months ago

I got a job right out of electronics school with Lucent Technologies which later became Alcatel Lucent. I worked there 10 years as an "radio frequency tester" until they closed the plant and outsourced the work to China and Mexico. When I knew they were closing the plant I immediately began a job search and got hired at a local power plant as a control technician before Alcatel Lucent closed their facility. I am thankful that I went to school, it's worked out well for me. I have made a comfortable living. I think the power plant job will last hopefully until I retire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

eric in East Orange, New Jersey

57 months ago

i went to school for electronics too. i have an A.S degree. unfortunately, i was never lucky with employment. i went to numerous interviews, was given tests, passed highly, but no job... i was only lucky to find a $12.00 position. its so humiliating that i worked so hard to earn this degree but get so despised at the job market. good luck to anyone going to school for electronics or looking for a job in this sector.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mmwells66 in Davenport, Iowa

56 months ago

Anyway, beyond venting here, I'm weighing out my options:

On the one hand, there's a school here that does offer a BS in EET, and they have already accepted my AAS in transfer. I'm one year away from the second piece of paper. Finding a daytime job that pays the bills so I can go to school in the evenings is turning out out be a challenge. (I deliver pizzas in the evenings to make ends meet)

My second option is to leave my kids here with "her" while I return to Texas and use my veteran benefits for school (Hazelwood Exemption - pays tuition but not books and fees). The job market has much more to offer there, and all of "my" family are there. Education-wise, I may be starting over from scratch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NinjaServo in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

Forget Devry and ITT. Check your local state universities for baccalaureate degrees, and the community colleges for associates. They're a much better value, and the instructors at most state schools are superior.

Also, if you wish to work as a design technician or technologist, you need to take whichever option in your program that allows you to complete math up through technical calculus, as well as some physics as well, at a MINIMUM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan Greene in Denver, Colorado

44 months ago

As a current student at the itt here in aurora i can most certainly tell you its not the school that matters so much as it is of what you get out of it. In todays job market it is just rediculous to just get an associates while i do have many class mates already working in their field making from 60 to 90k a year this includes over time. I have not had any luck so far but im not really looking either there are so many oportunities for electronics students and even more so for those with experience after my bachlors i plan to persue my masters but im not sure in what though. I can not blame the school though they have taught me very well and i would recomend them to anyone who has the option to go.

Excuse my spelling its 6am and i havent slept yet and am very bad at english sorry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Allen in Warner Robins, Georgia

43 months ago

Both Devry and ITT tech are better than nothing but don't expect a degree from there to work miracles. It will probably help you get an ENTRY level job somewhere. When I say ENTRY I mean it too. If you really want a job that pays decent money starting out then you are going to have to get your Bachelors from somewhere accredited by your states university system. Yes it will cost more, yes it will be harder... but thats why you get paid more when you get out (don't ask me why I didn't invent the system I just went through it and I know what I'm talking about). I lucked out as a local electronics co-op program has nabbed me a $22/hr job starting out and the more I look around the more I realize... wow, this is pretty good.

Good luck all, and don't listen to those recruiters from ITT and Devry... of course they are going to tell you that there school has students employed at this place or that place but every school has a few lucky students. Your best bet is going to be a four year degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cmextech in Moreno Valley, California

43 months ago

ya man i agree. getting a job in the electronics field is pretty damn hard. Especially after getting a degree from ITT Tech. I graduated in June of last year and still have not had any success in getting a job in the electronics field. I kind of almost feel like I just wasted 2 years of my life on a degree that doesn't mean anything to companies. Not to mention the fact I have a ridiculous amount of loans I need to pay but can't afford to pay right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FOAD in Houston, Texas

43 months ago

I worked in College Station, Tx as a repair technician. I quit the industry because I realized that without a degree, that's all I'd ever be. I went into the oilfield as a roughneck. I quit doing that to go back to school. I chose ITT and must say, go to any university you can. Start at Community College. It will help more than ITT. I get jobs now because I have experience in the field. Right now I'm about to graduate from ITT and I work in the electronics industry. A lot of the guys that are making 4.0's at ITT think they should be engineers when they leave but five minutes in a room with a real electrical engineer proves that they just flushed forty grand on an AAS. I'm still there just because I've put so much time in and would be wasting money if I quit. When I finish, I plan on going to university and forgetting I ever went to ITT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mybit in Bellevue, Washington

42 months ago

I made the mistake of going to the local college for a electronic program, but I was naive thinking because I was smart, a company would hire me. While it's better then nothing, you have to get a CS/BS/EE to really get on the ladder. I found my two year program helped me a little, but most places look for a 4 year cert and I was lucky to have electronics and programming as hardcore hobby.

I make $30/Hr as a software tester (contractor) for Microsoft in Redmond, WA, but wish I could find a nice paying electronics job. I know tons of people that have degrees in EE, but almost all work in the software field in Western Washington.

Some kind of cert is better then nothing, but not much with so much competition for India whihc MS hires by the boat load. And they all work like mad men to get citizenship. Yeah, that part suck...even worse is working for one them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

itt_instructor in Dallas, Texas

41 months ago

(Regular words which are in ALL CAPS below are for emphasis only)

I know of some folks who have gotten their associate degree from ITT Tech and have gone on to work for the federal government, etc, because it is technically a valid degree as far a hiring requirements (block check) go.

ITT Technical Institute is just that, a ‘Technical Institute’. Although it is accredited by the Department of Education, that accreditation is by a National Accreditation agency. What that means is the degree/credits earned ARE NOT GENERALLY accepted by an institution which is Regionally Accredited.

With that being said I know of other FOR-PROFIT institutions (Kaplan University being one) which will accept an associate degree from ITT Technical Institute as credit towards one of their Regionally Accredited bachelor degrees. If an ITT Tech degree was not accepted by an organization, that could be due to the lack of Regional Accreditation, which seems to happen quite a bit.

The reality is very few, if any, of those poor folks get to move up in their careers because of the ITT Tech degree. Rather, the few that do excel do so in spite of having an ITT Tech degree because they were quality applicants to begin with.

Good luck and hang in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan Greene in Denver, Colorado

41 months ago

I just graduated with my Associates degree from ITT-TECH on friday and i have a job at ICBS as an electronics technican also i am going to an interview tuesday for a job at Advance Energy for 17 a hr i make 15 right now and just got hired monday. Just hang in and there have some faith also KEEP YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE! if i had done that i would have my pick of the litter of jobs. I have had so many offers for Repair techs for medical companies but without a license i cant drive anywere so thats not an option for me. Still i enjoyed my time at itt-tech and look forward to furthuring my degree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ca1212 in Houston, Texas

29 months ago

Jonathan Greene in Denver, Colorado said: I just graduated with my Associates degree from ITT-TECH on friday and i have a job at ICBS as an electronics technican also i am going to an interview tuesday for a job at Advance Energy for 17 a hr i make 15 right now and just got hired monday. Just hang in and there have some faith also KEEP YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE! if i had done that i would have my pick of the litter of jobs. I have had so many offers for Repair techs for medical companies but without a license i cant drive anywere so thats not an option for me. Still i enjoyed my time at itt-tech and look forward to furthuring my degree

Im in ITT Tech student on my 7th quarter with no work experience. Whenever i receive my Associate Degree I kept wondering If i should stay in ITT Tech for my bachelor or try to find a job with only a Associate degree. Any Advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mto458 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

I think the school you attend and the area in which you are looking have a lot to do with whether you find a job or not. My son attended a rather unique state-owned school in PA where we live and received an associates in Electronics Technology. This school has an excellent reputation here and most of its graduates in any field are able to find good jobs after graduation. My son graduated in May and started a job in late June at a steel manufacturer and is making over $20 an hour with excellent benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ca1212 in Houston, Texas

23 months ago

Hello, I would like to know where this steel company is located so i can apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mto458 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

ca1212 in Houston, Texas said: Hello, I would like to know where this steel company is located so i can apply.

Coatesville, PA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ca1212 in Houston, Texas

23 months ago

it took me 2 years to complete my associate program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Experience but no job in Geneva, Illinois

22 months ago

[I graduated in 1988 with an associates degree and I've worked for several companies. Beltone Electronics 2 plus years then I started working thru a temp firm and worked for williams bally electronics and v-tech computers. Williams actually hired me on permanently and I worked for them 2 years. the I worked for methode electronics a couple of months then I got hired by Ameritech telephone company which later merged with SBC and then SBC acquired bellsouth and AT&T long distance. I work at the phone company 14 1/2 years but now I can't find nothing and my whole world of struggling is slowly crumbling to nothing. I applied to numerous positions and all I get is they're considering me but they would prefer someone with a bachelors degree even if that person has no experience. one company said that out of all the applicants I'm the only one who knows how to use the equipment but no call!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Experience but no job in Geneva, Illinois

22 months ago

I graduated in 1988 with an associates degree and I've worked for several companies. Beltone Electronics 2 plus years then I started working thru a temp firm and worked for williams bally electronics and v-tech computers. Williams actually hired me on permanently and I worked for them 2 years. then I worked for methode electronics a couple of months then I got hired by Ameritech telephone company which later merged with SBC and then SBC acquired bellsouth and AT&T long distance. I work at the phone company 14 1/2 years but now I can't find nothing and my whole world of struggling is slowly crumbling to nothing. I applied to numerous positions and all I get is they're considering me but they would prefer someone with a bachelors degree even if that person has no experience. one company said that out of all the applicants I'm the only one who knows how to use the equipment but no call!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RosasG in Homestead, Florida

22 months ago

I graduated from ITT tech with my A.S in Computer Electronics in Jacksonville, Fl and landed a job in Miami with Raytheon. What the hell are you guys crying about? You basically have to go where the jobsare. You cant stay home and complain because the job market sucks. I also just finished my B.S at ft. lauderdale and and I am going to go work at Northrop grumman ans an electronics engineer II. Nobody cares about where you go to school. I have been to state colleges that where a joke. On test days all we did was take a test and go home. Ridiculous!!! At ITT Tech I had to finish up the day and there was only 4 student that graduated with me. Very good I say, so that you can get more attention. Also ITT Tech has become stricter on their professor and their credintials. Most of my professors have their masters in that field and are working in that same subject like circuit design and circuit analysis. So now it doesnt really matter what schools you go to , I know people that go to online schools and have great jobs. Who wants to g to schols where there are like 50 students in your class and have lectures for 3 hours straight. Get it together people and find where a good jobs market is like Texas, California, Ohio.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

washburn41 in Manassas, Virginia

11 months ago

It was nice to hear that you know people that are going to online school for electronics and they have good jobs. That is what I am doing and it going pretty well right now. Thanks for the encouragement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Chandler, Arizona

4 months ago

NinjaServo in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Forget Devry and ITT. Check your local state universities for baccalaureate degrees, and the community colleges for associates. They're a much better value, and the instructors at most state schools are superior.

Also, if you wish to work as a design technician or technologist, you need to take whichever option in your program that allows you to complete math up through technical calculus, as well as some physics as well, at a MINIMUM.

I disagree with this comment. I went to MCC in Arizona for Electronics. It was horrible. The lab assignments were written for different equipment. The equipment was well over 20 years old. The instructor couldn't help with the labs because he hadn't used the equipment in over 30 years. There was little, if any, hands on. I would definitely avoid community colleges for Electronics. ITT and Devry are much more current and involved with the private sector.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.