Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing engineer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Shedrick Cole in Lancaster, Texas

73 months ago

Excellent question! I am a new college graduate who is seeking a position as an entry level electrical engineer. I would like any guidance/advise for beginning my career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sphutch001 in Arlington, Virginia

69 months ago

There are so many choices these days. It depends on your interests. Not all EE's are interested in the same thing. I was always interested in Power Generation. I started as a Construction Engineer, building Power Plants, moved to startup then into Design. Now I work for a large electrical utility doing what I always thought I would do as an Engineer. If for interests are in smaller projects, I would look at one of the OEMs. If software, there are always positions available in all type of companies. Just think about what you really liked about your EE Courses. Most likely, you will wind up in a management position in about 3-5 years, so have fun at it while your starting out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marty Costello in Garden City, Michigan

68 months ago

I would scour the EE ads (and other engineering positions) on Indeed or a company you would be interested in working for. Find a company you read about a lot in your particular interest - say like music (electric guitar or music recording) or hunting, or military for example. Hit their website and look at the CAREERS section to see what they available. You can gather some information as to what you would need from the job requirements they post. If you don't know what they are talking about (especially the acronyms), just Google it up and read all about things I don't know. I do this all the time and I've been at it nearly 15 years. As soon as you learn something, some smart guy comes up with another application or Quality system that replaces it and every company falls for that new system and wants their engineers to be experts in it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.