The best part is...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

What do you enjoy most about enrollment counselor work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Tares Figueroa in Mesa, Arizona

65 months ago

What do you enjoy most about enrollment counselor work?
The fact that I can do no wrong. I help people learn the facts about education and teach them how to find "real" funding for school, not just shooting them into Financial Aid.

What do you dislike the most?
The people in the industry that have no respect for the fact that we do not deal with "typical students". A typical student goes to school themselves; they have no need for us, they get it all done on their own. The people I speak of have no real patience, respect or understanding for the difficulty and lack of commitment our students posses. Think about it... If they were true students, they would not need us! Geez... Amatuers! IT'S... A... SAlES... JOB... you have to close them constantly through their first class. After that, it should be smooth sailing.

Is it challenging?

Uhhh, yes; quite challenging. The mistake most people make, and I mean most; is that "it's education", "who does not want education?". Well, when your asking them to pay for it and go into debt for it, and show them the investment of it, not the expense; it gets a bit difficult. Your un-doing some very "instant gratification" thinking. It is possible to overcome it and even get referrals. That is how I attain raises and stay in the industry.

Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?
I have been in sales for over 15yrs; in 6 different industries and many different contract sales assignments. There are very, very few industries with the breadth of opportunity that for-profit education represents.

What keeps you at your job?
My commitment to keep myself informed, know the school, study the competition, and produce results above expectation. If your asking for my motivation for staying, that would be the substantial income, the constant opportunities and the solace of knowing this: no matter how hard I sell someone on education and attending, I can do no wrong. they helped themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.