Are environmental engineer job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 66)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most environmental engineer opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

enviroscientist in Johnson City, Tennessee

48 months ago

The 40 hour OSHA 1910.120 Hazwoper cert. is certainly helpful in the environmental field and the consulting firm I worked for paid the 800 bucks [@ 2000], for me to take the course [which was kind of fun actually, especially getting to wear the Level A suit with SCBA], and that later got me a short term gig with an Army weapons destruction subcontract job after I got laid off with the consult. firm.
In my area of eastern TN a Q clearance would be absolutely GOLDEN with all the DOE work in the Oak Ridge area. I may break down and pursue that myself but I believe that is in the 4 grand range, maybe more now.
Taking Environmental Health and Safety courses in school could help you get a job too as there are lots of job postings for that type of work although that would be more like Human Resources than enviro. engineering in a way but sure couldn't hurt.
I'm guess you have also noticed numerous job postings that mention GIS skills. That would be also be very good to pick up while in school along with other CAD courses that you already probably have to have to be an enviro. engineer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Braggs in Abington, Massachusetts

47 months ago

I was considering getting an MS in environmental engineering, after reading these posts I am now reconsidering. I have a BS in biology and a pretty decent job as a lab technician at a biotech company, which I can continue to do and they will pay for me to take classes. What was everybody's concentrations for your Masters? What was the eventuality of the other people in your class?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

anisha in New York, New York

47 months ago

My focus was Water quality. Most of the jobs poated these days are either related to Water or Site Remediation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Braggs in Norwood, Massachusetts

47 months ago

Are there any oppurtunities in the military ( army corps of engineers) or maybe the peace corps?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

anisha in New York, New York

47 months ago

There are. Infact the Peace Corps hires at some campus events too, maybe you could check with your old school...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

enviroscientist in Kingsport, Tennessee

47 months ago

A classmate from my master's program got her start doing lab work, then ran the lab, then got on with a consulting firm that worked with the Army in Aberdeen. She has since become a civilian Army employee working with Demil, weapons disposal programs and makes a very nice living at it from what I can tell. She got me a contractual gig once working on an in-situ weapons destruction project in DC. Demilitarizing out dated weapons, biological and otherwise is an ongoing area. At least for a few more years then it may peter out. Bechtel, SAIC etc. are company names you will see in this arena and involved in DOE work which should also have a fairly good future if and when the government gets money again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

OSHA Guy in Murrieta, California

47 months ago

enviroscientist in Johnson City, Tennessee said: The 40 hour OSHA 1910.120 Hazwoper cert. is certainly helpful in the environmental field and the consulting firm I worked for paid the 800 bucks [@ 2000], for me to take the course [which was kind of fun actually, especially getting to wear the Level A suit with SCBA], and that later got me a short term gig with an Army weapons destruction subcontract job after I got laid off with the consult. firm.
In my area of eastern TN a Q clearance would be absolutely GOLDEN with all the DOE work in the Oak Ridge area. I may break down and pursue that myself but I believe that is in the 4 grand range, maybe more now.
Taking Environmental Health and Safety courses in school could help you get a job too as there are lots of job postings for that type of work although that would be more like Human Resources than enviro. engineering in a way but sure couldn't hurt.
I'm guess you have also noticed numerous job postings that mention GIS skills. That would be also be very good to pick up while in school along with other CAD courses that you already probably have to have to be an enviro. engineer.

Agreed. The 40 Hour HAZWOPER course is a must if you are going to be working as an environmental engineer. www.easysafetyschool.com/courses/hazardous-waste/hazwoper-40-hour-training.asp has some good information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

EnvEng in West Chester, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

Regardless of what you read about job market for Environmental field; reality is that finding a stable well paying job is very difficult if not impossible UNLESS you are extremely smart and VERY hardworking. Clients are usually not very eager to pay big bucks for environmental jobs and so salary in this field is usually lower than other engineering fields. I know a lot of people who were extremely frustrated after working in the environmental field as an engineer/geologist/scientists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Calgary, Alberta

45 months ago

Hi, I read your comment on internet about env engg. Where are you, in Calgary? I cannot believe that having a masters you dont get job opportunities. I will graduate this term, my master is energy and env but is pretty close to env egg. Could you please write to me? thank you! cpnavarr@ucalgary.ca

Ariel in West Warwick, Rhode Island said: I really dont know...I graduated with my masters in Environmental Engg (top of my class) and have a good internship experience but still i dont get calls for job....Everyone keep talking about environmental related stuff which soothes your ears but where are the jobs ???? I dont see much expect for the one which ask for 5 - 7 yrs of experience. I feel fustrated. Its a very good field with loads of interesting work but i feel the recession has really made the jobs limited. I really dont know when will the job market will pop up......

Hopeing for the best

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Evan in Duluth, Georgia

45 months ago

Did anybody enter this field before the financial collapse? There are an extreme lack of jobs in every field compared to 3 years ago. Right now if you didn't graduate from a leading engineering school, finding and Environmental Engineering job is going to be tough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anisha in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

True. The only people I know who got entry level positions are either into Computers (software) or Construction management. After many months of job hunting, I am finally applying for a PhD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

enviroscientist in Silver Springs, Florida

45 months ago

This forum lists me in a different location every time I sign in but still in N/E TN. Anyway, All I can add is the old quote "Things are tough all over" My oldest brother has been a pulp and paper engineer for 32 years and have VERY marketable experience from most of those years designing and improving pulp systems for industry. He now works for a consulting firm and things are tight. He told me over a year ago they had laid so many people off it was practically him, the receptionist and a few other engineers left and lots of empty offices. Now whenever they tell him to jump somewhere he says "when, how often and how high?" He and other engineers are also responsible and valuable for their past business contracts since they must also kind of be salesman and try and drum up business. If they can't bring in business thy run the risk of being laid off or told to take some time off [w/out pay of course.]
I wonder if getting your PhD will help that much if you haven't been able to find work with your masters or if it will just put you further in debt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Well, I'm only going to pursue it if I get funding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Wish I had done the same with my masters. Many of my classmates' masters classes were paid for by their employers at the time so it doesn't bother them that much that it hasn't improved their employment situation measurably. Some of us were working in the field but our employers didn't reimburse us and borrowing at least some of what we needed to get through. Some folks borrowed everything, tuition and living expenses! I paid most all of my tuition each sem. but borrowed some for books and other expenses that arose. Not a huge amount but still stings making those loan payments each month since I graduated 8 years ago with little hope of ever working in Environmental Mgmt. at this point. The whole time I was in school my boss and co-workers encouraged me with talk of being able to earn 40K a year to start when I finished my masters so not to worry about the expense of it all. Sounded reasonable enough at the time from what I saw around me at the consulting firm until me and a bunch of other full and part-timers got let go right after I graduated in the summer of 2002 for lack of work and never got called back. Good luck with your funding search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rahul in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

So what might be the solution,we all know it's gonna be long and cold winter for enviros but staying home waiting make problems worse or even going back to school doesn't help much.With the skills learned in this field,where else can we apply them till it gets better..financial sector,NGOs,Marketing/Sales in Environmental or Energy field,Teaching, Freelancing...any idea folks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Well, NGO's don't pay much, but its better than nothing. I wonder how effective it might be to try job hunting at career fairs. I'm sure everyone's tried it, or maybe still is. As for teaching, I don't think with just a Master's any of us is gonna land a faculty position in a good University. There's this recruiting agency called Aerotek that hires for Part-time/contract jobs which could lead to full-time offers. I had an interview for a company in NY a few months ago, but they wanted someone more experienced. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

I'm anxiously awaiting replies that may tell me how to salvage my college education too Rahul and in spite of having a few years head start on you...no clue yet, other than going from job to job and getting by. Hope someone has a better solution than I've come up with. I personally have been doing all sorts of different jobs. The market doesn't need environmental professionals so I take whatever jobs the market offers.
If you don't want to just roll over and get a teaching certificate and go teach science or math in the public schools [and these days teaching is flooded too], then I would think your best bet would be finding any environmental work whether it's doing mind numbing Phase I assessments, construction inspection or sharpening pencils for free for someone who works in the environmental field and constantly putting your face in front of theirs while you pay your bills waiting tables or painting houses or staining decks, etc. so forth, so that if and when this failed America economy ever sputters back to life then you may be in the right place at the right time to accept an assignment.If you have a better idea than that please let me know about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rahul in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

Well what I feel is trying new things at least where you get paid(there are lot of people with fake promises who see $$ sign over your head).I won't start a training like ESAs,Phase I etc unless I see the returns at the end of tunnel..what do you think.

By the way has anyone tried State environmental agencies,these are the only places from where you get some response from my experience apart from usual automated replies when you apply elsewhere.But they take like ages to progress,I got interview and Job Inquiry letters in California but eventually the positions were cancelled or put on hold.Again in Connecticut,got an Interview,wasn't that technical(the usual HR stuff),I think I was smooth but results(zero,zip,nada).My friend who was really sharp(3.8 GPA) also got same interview but nothing happened...What do they actually want.Does anyone know as I am expecting another from Maryland Dep of Env Protection

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Good luck with MDEP. I moved from Maryland and tried for years to get on there. There was a hiring freeze there for a long time. There are hiring freezes in many, many states these days. I had to go to the MDEP to research files twice when I was doing Phase I ESAs for the firm I was working at. The mess there, both bureaucratic and physical was kind of eye opening. I applied for a stormwater permitting, inspecting position with TN DEC in spring 2008, would've taken the job and not quibbled over the 29,000 dollar salary in a heartbeat. I was interviewed by three employees for over an hour, they told me my project experience in the two years at the consulting firm was broader than most of theirs in their 20 years, seemed to get along well with them but....like I said before, one of them let slip that they'd never interviewed someone who wasn't already a state employee. After that I decided to try and get any state job even mowing grass since it's easier most places to move around once you're internal but have had no luck.
Phase I's are boring projects but you will be working for a consulting firm and you will be working in your field when [if] things get better in the economy. Otherwise the only lucrative thing going these days is my girlfriend's associate degree as an RN earns her over 60 grand a year and she can pretty much go live anywhere in the country that she wants. If I thought I could stomach it there's absolutely no doubt in my mind I'd be trying to get into an RN program. Medical is getting very competitive these days as others in our boat figured it out two years ago and went back to school for X-ray tech, PTA/ OTA, RN etc. Nowadays I understand it's gotten tough for brand new nurses to find much besides night shift nursing home gigs. It's a tough call. I've tried TN and NC and Federal government but right now there's nothing out there really. The Fed has lots of job postings but my congressman found out for me that they're postings but not real job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in Aurora, Ohio

43 months ago

Evan in Duluth, Georgia said: Did anybody enter this field before the financial collapse? There are an extreme lack of jobs in every field compared to 3 years ago. Right now if you didn't graduate from a leading engineering school, finding and Environmental Engineering job is going to be tough.

Well, I graduated in Ohio back in May 2008 with a Master of science in Environmental Engineering,before graduation I received phone cal and interviews from top engineering firms, so I worked for Midsize consultant firm (Top 500 ENR)by the end of May 2008, the benefits were great so the salary. I losted my job Dec 2009, and I have been looking for a job from 14 months. It's very hard to get even an entry level position with 2 years solid experience, osha, master degree, FE. My advice to the new grads is to get an engineering intern position, networking and search nationwide and good luck. For future students I 'll say civil/Environmental Engineer = long waiting list

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Adam, I have to concur with your advice to Evan on the job outlook. The recession was a total game changer for so many fields. Maybe for the next decade. The original labor and statistics figures on careers like engineering have not been updated in years except to add a sentence at the end saying 'in the event of a major economic collapse, you mileage may vary.' Those figures were predicated upon a healthy, growing economy and Boomers retiring from the jobs they've held for the last few decades. Neither of those things is reality for the foreseeable future.
I hope others are having better luck than I have these last few years of searching but I'd also have to advise grads not to fall into the trap of thinking what they need is more education debt in the same field. My masters coupled with a few years of job experience gets me zero calls and for unrelated jobs like Home Depot it's best to leave the masters off the application as it works against you. If you are dead set on going back to school I would have to advise reviewing the new realities of this world and go to school for something else that you are more certain you can get gainful employment. Otherwise, you may trap yourself under a debt load that will prevent you from moving away from home and starting a life. Ask anyone who is advising you to get a masters in the field you currently can't find work if they will be willing to pay the loan off if the world is in no better shape when you finish your next degree in two years. I really haven't even looked for work in the environmental field for most of this year and have been searching for other businesses/industry to get into some kind of management track if possible. It's tough since manufacturing is dead, retail is struggling. I won't take on any more debt at my age but if I was younger I would be looking carefully at health care related careers but those programs are getting harder and harder to get into now too as others all crowd that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Something some folks may wish to look into came to me from a friend I made in grad school who has been a civilian employee of the Army for a number of years and was never in the military. I understand they are concerned to try and get interns/entry levels to learn the ropes in anticipation of pending retirement vacancies. I'm probably too old for any shot at this but for more recent grads and younger laid off folks there may be environmental work to be had here. The pay can be quite good eventually too.
Maybe there is something here for some folks to consider...

acpol.army.mil/employment/working_career.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Prats in Jersey City, New Jersey

39 months ago

How are the chances of a fresh college graduate with the Masters in Environmental Technology to get an entry level position in any Environmental Firms?

Replies would help me.

Thanks !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

superadamhsu in San Antonio, Texas

38 months ago

Envirochemsean in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Exactly, same is my case. I have been looking for a job for the past one year. The search has been futile. Can someone help? I have a Masters degree in environmental engineering with 2 years of remediation experience. Any useful lead / contact is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sean

I thought New Jersey is a good place for environmental engineering related job employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rougneck in Madison, Mississippi

35 months ago

You have to be willing to move and know you aren't going to make $100k a year with no experience. Try some of the national firms working entry level. Companies like URS will hire you out of college. Without significant air or Title V experience, you will have a hard time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RankineCycle in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Most environmental-related work I have seen advertised in the Mid-Atlantic region comes with either that dreaded "Sr." prefix, or "2 years experience" which screams "WE DON'T WANT NEWBIES". Few want to take any risk spending time and money training/investing in an entry level engineer. They want their cake and they want to eat it now, as that seems to be what is necessary to compete.

As was mentioned, businesses see environmental and safety to be extra costs that exist only because the government tells them they have to comply. This can obviously be seen as it manifests itself in politics all of the time, especially now with the failings of growth-based economics and a saturated market of suburban strip mall parking lots - no more simple storm water plans to be developed by entry-level engineers in training!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

No eng in Decatur, Georgia

34 months ago

Envirochemsean in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Exactly, same is my case. I have been looking for a job for the past one year. The search has been futile. Can someone help? I have a Masters degree in environmental engineering with 2 years of remediation experience. Any useful lead / contact is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sean

The Seem situation, I have a MS of Environmetal, the FE, 2 years full time experience in the water/wastewater and I can't find a job. It's been 2 years now. And now I am looking for job at the gas station.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

roughneck in Madison, Mississippi

34 months ago

No eng in Decatur, Georgia said: The Seem situation, I have a MS of Environmetal, the FE, 2 years full time experience in the water/wastewater and I can't find a job. It's been 2 years now. And now I am looking for job at the gas station.

If you are looking for a good job (valid until Nov 1) jobs.centerpointenergy.com/sap%28bD1lbiZjPTkwMCZwPTMyNjQ3%29/bc/bsp/sap/hrrcf_pinstappl/application.do?rcfContext=01&PARAM=UElOU1RfR1VJRD00RUE2MzE3Q0QyOEEwMTg2RTEwMDgwMDAwQTBEMTQxOQ%3d%3d in Little Rock AR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

undergrad in La Jolla, California

33 months ago

I'm an undergrad, just started my first year. I am currently an electrical engineering major, but have been considering switching to environmental. My logic is just that I want to do meaningful work that helps the environment, or helps "green" causes. I'm going to be taking on about 80k in loans, but don't really mind living frugally when I graduate. Is the job market really this bad out there? I just dropped out of a military ROTC program (guaranteed job) because I hated it and thought I should pursue my passion at school, trying to doing more environmentally friendly type stuff. I'd been agonizing the decision for awhile, but told myself it would be okay as long as I worked hard to outperform my peers. Now I'm not so sure if I should switch to enviro eng since apparantly there are more jobs in electrical

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Shekar in Bangalore, India

33 months ago

It is disheartening to read about the market condition for Environmental Engineers. I was planning on pursuing my Masters in Env Engg from US. I quit a Environmental Risk Management firm after 27 months of experience so that I could prepare for the tests. Given the financial crunch public universities have little money to offer aids to international students (and the few ho receive it are the best among the best) and to top it, given to the same reason, tuition and fees are being increased by 10-20 per. So its a goodbye to my dream of pursuing a Masters in US.

Anyhow, the situation is similar in India. In most consulting firms and industries Environmental Engineers are treated ill. Luckily, I got recruited at a really good firm. We get paid peanuts, at times not even that. And most of the jobs have absolutely nothing to do with saving the environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bb in Chatham, New York

32 months ago

New York is the most beneficial state for anytime of environmental field. There the top "Green" state. I'm currently attending college for Environmental Engineer and every day the DEC or ENCON has postings. There aren't many states out there that are as concerned with the Environment as New York state, sorry guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Really_Annoyed in Randolph, New Jersey

32 months ago

Thanks,
Sean

Envirochess, check out Transitioning to Green networking group which meets in Morristown each month. It's a good group and you will make some useful contacts. It's specific to the field. I have a Master's in Environmental Policy, Natural Resource concentration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Undergrad in Sindelfingen, Germany

32 months ago

This is really discouraging

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Undergrad in Sindelfingen, Germany

32 months ago

This is really discouraging

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shadman in Toronto, Ontario

31 months ago

I don't really think its declining. I am studying at University of Toronto & jobs are pretty good here. One of the biggest problem for people with MS in Environmental Eng is that the MS degree is mainly thesis based & that kind of degree was developed to have career in Teaching or having further Education (like Ph.D or Post Doc). You can't really expect an entry level job with a MS in Env.Science or Env.Eng. Nowadays, companies want something with a combination of Business & Management. One of the senior alumni I recently met, graduated from U of T in Environmental Science focusing on Geoscience & did an MBA from Schulich school of Business. Now, he works for a Nickel Mining Company as Chief Environmental Advisor. So, an MBA on the CV gives a very different outlook. I'm focusing on Environmental Physics & Sustainability and doing a minor in Meteorology. So, after I finish up, I am also targeting an MBA or an MS in Environmental Economics. and One of the recent journals that I saw, USA has the 3rd Largest job field in Environment after Bio-Med & IT. So, its not really true that USA don't have jobs in Environment. As I said, companies look for for something different in new graduates ! So, I would definitely say, Go for an MBA or Post-Diploma in Project Management or a certificate in GIS-GPS. I hope it will help !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

enviroengineer in Edmonton, Alberta

31 months ago

What are Job propects for Phd in environmental engineering; I do not see too many courses taught in this field at least in Bsc degree of Civil Engineering where I am planning to get my Phd. What kind of departments I can apply for; my Undergraduate is in Agricultural engineering (major in Irrigation Engineering), but not too many schools offer this discipline. I am too environmental.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

enviroengineer in Edmonton, Alberta said: What are Job propects for Phd in environmental engineering; I do not see too many courses taught in this field at least in Bsc degree of Civil Engineering where I am planning to get my Phd. What kind of departments I can apply for; my Undergraduate is in Agricultural engineering (major in Irrigation Engineering), but not too many schools offer this discipline. I am too environmental.

I am not really sure why do you want a Ph.d in that field anyway (unless you are completely into becoming a professor !). It has such a great job field with almost no competition. University of Guelph has the biggest Agricultural Department in Canada. I would recommend you go there; if it is possible for you. & Yes, Civil Engineering does not have that much environment related courses because they spend more time on structural design related areas. But, if you are really interested in Environment, it would be wise to go in the Department of Earth Science which has a combination of both Environment & Agriculture........ cheers !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Dutch Harbor, Alaska

31 months ago

You could consider hitting the recruiting firms heavily as part of your job search, they aggressively try to fill positions because they get a cut of your salary and a sign on bonus when you roll over to the company. Keep calling them to, especially if you have other competing interviews. Secondly entry level positions are looking for go getters who will be billable, that means they are interested in someone who can write, will meet deadlines, and will have a full time card every week that they can bill to the client.

The people making the decision to hire you are likely project managers, regardless of education or title, and they likely work under stressful crushing budgetary pressures and many are very jaded. They don't want to hire someone who turns simple assignments into science projects, reinventing wheels that don't need to be reinvented, and burn up budgets doing it. You may not be inspired by what work that company does, but it is still valuable experience, and it is easier to get that next better job if you are currently employed. At least you will make valuable contacts in the office, those people move on to other companies, and that's a reference you have in another firm now. So read up on what the interviewing company does, and feign interest in project management when they ask where you see yourself in 5 years. They will probably be more impressed that you brought a copy of a Phase 1 report you read to the interview to discuss and ask how much it costs to do one etc, than you telling them about your senior thesis in college on the effects of deforestation on aboriginal fertility rites (unless some of your college work relates directly to the job, then by all means, that's how I got my first job).

Lastly, environmental is a regulatory driven concern. Regulations vary from state to state, so if you are willing to relocate to an area where environmental is booming, then your chances are that much better. Move back home later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kontogiwrgis Anastasios in Athens, Greece

31 months ago

I have graduated Geo-Environmental Science and Engineering (bachelor degree) and i have no experience in "our" area. I am one year without a job trying to find something-somewhere to start my career... i am able to relocate to UK also i am making Papers for UAE (dubai,Abu dhabi) if there is a place for me there . If someone needs a trainee please Email me at Akontogiwrgis@windowslive.com .I would be most pleased to have the chance to work hard, learn and develop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sowmya in Bangalore, India

30 months ago

undergrad in La Jolla, California said: I'm an undergrad, just started my first year. I am currently an electrical engineering major, but have been considering switching to environmental. My logic is just that I want to do meaningful work that helps the environment, or helps "green" causes. I'm going to be taking on about 80k in loans, but don't really mind living frugally when I graduate. Is the job market really this bad out there? I just dropped out of a military ROTC program (guaranteed job) because I hated it and thought I should pursue my passion at school, trying to doing more environmentally friendly type stuff. I'd been agonizing the decision for awhile, but told myself it would be okay as long as I worked hard to outperform my peers. Now I'm not so sure if I should switch to enviro eng since apparantly there are more jobs in electrical

hi there, my situation is kinda similar, i'm currently doing my electronics and communication engineering and will graduate in one and a half years .i realized a few months back that i'm really passionate about the environment and want to switch to environmental sciences after i graduate. but is it really that difficult to get decent jobs , even with masters in this stream?? now am really confused , frustrated and i don't know for sure what i should do . i was thinking of applying in the US or UK ..i'd like some advise regarding this. please do let me know asap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sowmya in Bangalore, India

30 months ago

undergrad in La Jolla, California said: I'm an undergrad, just started my first year. I am currently an electrical engineering major, but have been considering switching to environmental. My logic is just that I want to do meaningful work that helps the environment, or helps "green" causes. I'm going to be taking on about 80k in loans, but don't really mind living frugally when I graduate. Is the job market really this bad out there? I just dropped out of a military ROTC program (guaranteed job) because I hated it and thought I should pursue my passion at school, trying to doing more environmentally friendly type stuff. I'd been agonizing the decision for awhile, but told myself it would be okay as long as I worked hard to outperform my peers. Now I'm not so sure if I should switch to enviro eng since apparantly there are more jobs in electrical

hi there, my situation is kinda similar, i'm currently doing my electronics and communication engineering and will graduate in one and a half years .i realized a few months back that i'm really passionate about the environment and want to switch to environmental sciences after i graduate. but is it really that difficult to get decent jobs , even with masters in this stream?? now am really confused , frustrated and i don't know for sure what i should do . i was thinking of applying in the US or UK ..i'd like some advise regarding this. please do let me know asap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

resh in Madras, India

29 months ago

hi my situation is similar too,im currently doing my electronics and communication engineering and will graduate in an year.im interested in doing my masters in environmental engineering but i heard it is dificult to get a job unless we have a phd.i have no idea as to how i should go about it now,i would apreciate it if i could get some advise.i would also like to know what are the best colleges that offer masters in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

hey, if you guys are in Electrical Engineering, then I would recommend not to move from that area. I am studying at University of Toronto doing my Environmental Physics degree. It is hard for us to get jobs in this area because most of the companies hire Industrial Engineers or Civil Engineers in this category because they go through some similar type of courses like us. & as I said before, after your Engineering degree, its better to go for an MBA. It will at least give you a high paid salary job !! I'm going to do that too. If you get opportunity in the future, you can finish off your Master's degree part-time ! that's the best review that I have found from the current Environmental Engineers of Canada. BSc/BASc/MBA gives a very different outlook. & for best institutions for Environment, there are certainly a few. In Canada, McGill University is undeniably the best, No doubt on that, but you need to learn French for that !! U of Toronto & U of British Columbia is also fast paced but the living expense is beyond imagination !! so don't come here ! In USA, if you can manage the tuition fees, Yale U & U of Michigan are fantastic ! & as for UK, if you go there you'll get bankrupted, there is nothing for Environment People !!!...........hope this will help ! Cheers !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

joey in Newark, New Jersey

29 months ago

i gotta be honest, ive read on this site and other sites numerous postings about how people cannot find jobs and i gotta be honest....I think it's just your own faults of either not wanting to move or not looking in the right places. Just in the past month alone i have a list of 12+ companies ive found online alone that are hiring in the area and if not within my immediate area, not to far of a relocation...many of them looking for environmental students straight out of college. I guess its all relative to where you live...over here in NJ, we already screwed up our waterways and landscapes and now have many regulations and orders being passed for big companies to help reverse the damage and for new companies to not damage...im not even in school and im 26 years old about to make the jump from construction to environmental science an couldnt be more confident in my future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Really_Annoyed in Randolph, New Jersey

29 months ago

Joey, tell me about the opportunities you found. I'm in New Jersey and I go to Transitioning to Green networking group in Morristown each month. I'm interested in green building. I've been looking for places in the area who could use some help, even for free to get a foot in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Enviro Engineer in San Francisco, California

27 months ago

I would say to all who are thinking of going to Graduate School for Environmental Engineering, please don't. Unless the school is paying for it through Graduate Research or Teaching Assistanships it is complete waste of money. The Enviromental field is all about Government funding. There is some private work for permitting, but a normal company will do at least 70% of its revenue from State, Local and Federal Governments. This funding is drying up fast. No matter how big the issue, you cannot do anything without funding. Most Enviro companies are not hiring much, most ads are resume collectors, just to see what is out there...

My company runs ads like this to see if a top player from a competitor would apply or to gauge how low they can pay entry level staff..Many Enviro people have not seen a raise in the last 4 years and in real terms (if you count for inflation) thier salaries are lower. Most people agree that everyone peaked in salary terms around 2009.

The industry is shrinking with layoffs a daily occurence. If you still want to pursue Grad Studies, lower your starting salary expectation. Normally if you are lucky to find a job you will get around 35-40k a year..and will be on the field non stop. I know plently of civil and enviro graduates from good regional public schools who cannot find any work and are working odd shifts at bars and fast food places...3.25/hr + tips, just enough to make rent, utilities, gas and watch one movie a month and drink some Coors light..

I dont know if things will turn around. But there is hella over-capacity at this point of time...too many civil engineers unemployed..
If you are still reading this and want to get into this field here are some helpful tips
Set your sites on small mom+popp startups. These will treat you with respect and maybe hire you. Stay away from gaints like AECOM, CH2MHill, URS, AMEC etc..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rlee in Baytown, Texas

26 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most environmental engineer opportunities?

Environmental tends to be separated by media ie. Air (includes Leak Detection), Waste (includes remediation) and Water/Waste water (includes treatment/water quality).

The most difficult and hence the one with the most demand is air.
This can include doing emission calcs/tracking emissions, air permitting, compliance and leak detection. Texas and California have the most stringent state laws so there is always a great demand in those states they also have a significant amount of industries oil/power etc.

I have found that there is a high turnover in these jobs as it is less glamorous and very tedious at times. In terms of stability and longevity environmental engineering provides that opportunity.(For those who stick with it)

However one has to be flexible in terms of geography (you may have to live in places that may or may not be close to cities),you must be able to be on call (accessible at all hours of day and night according to the industry you support) and last but not least you have to be able to learn quickly and delve outside your area of academic specialization in environmental. As it is highly probable what you learn in college may not be linked closely to what you will be doing at your job.

Anyway don't let other people discourage you environmental engineering has many opportunities. Be flexible and you should be successful. My background is in civil engineering and I learnt everything I know about air pollution and compliance on the job. (Oil refinery /Chemical Plant)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

belle in Bangalore, India

26 months ago

hi,can anyone please tell me if doing a masters in green technology is any good?? please do suggest some good universities .. i'd also like to know about the job opportunities ? .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Malvika in Delhi, India

25 months ago

Really_Annoyed in Randolph, New Jersey said: Envirochess, check out Transitioning to Green networking group which meets in Morristown each month. It's a good group and you will make some useful contacts. It's specific to the field. I have a Master's in Environmental Policy, Natural Resource concentration.

Hi
I even i was also thinking of pursuing masters in environmental economics and policy from US, but i am again unsure about job opportunities in this field. Can you suggest me if this is good course to pursue in terms of jobS>
I am doing environmental engineering from India

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.