Environmental Jobs and Travel...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Blake K in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

43 months ago

So I recently encountered a brick wall. I left the consulting firm I have been working for the past two years in search of an environmental based position that would not require me to travel all the time. I was hoping to find something in a state that could offer beautiful scenery and a variety of outdoor recreational activities. My wife and I love to camp, hike, bike, and anything else that might carry us away from the noise of everyday life. I grew up outside of a very small town in Oklahoma, so big cities are not really my thing. I have only been married for two years and a couple of months. I have animals at home and hate leaving my wife for hotels and long hours.
So far, I have had absolutely no luck with the job search. I am used to environmental consulting on the RI/FS level for the EPA. It is the only real work that I know. I can do the Phase I/Phase II work as well, but it is hard to find companies solely dedicated to that type of work. I only have three years under my belt and two B.S. degrees to help me get in the door somewhere.
Is there anything out there that might work? Is there such a thing as an environmental position that doesn’t require travel at my level in the business? I am ready and willing to switch industries. I would have joined the Peace Corps with my wife if we didn’t have the animals hanging out. Outdoor education was another possible route, but good luck paying the bills with that. Seems sad that educating our youth in regards to the importance of our natural world should be considered a job for burn-outs who barely graduated and are content making less than minimum wage and living in commune style housing.
I’m looking for answers or suggestions people. Any and all are welcomed!
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Blake K in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

43 months ago

Oh yeah... Also been trying to get into a graduate program that isn't completely horrible. The only programs I like are located in the NorthWest and NorthEast. Out of state tuition is a killer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.