Interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Kare in Whitmore Lake, Michigan

58 months ago

I have to interview an environmental scientist for a class in high school and I would like someone to answer my questions, If you think you are well qualified please respond!
1. What does a day in the life of an environmental scientist consist of?
2. How many years of college are required to be well paid in this field?
3. Is the demand for this job high or low?
4. Apart from math and science, what other subjects are related to environmental science?
5.Are there any creative aspects to environmental science?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

cspencer in Lees Summit, Missouri

58 months ago

Kare in Whitmore Lake, Michigan said: I have to interview an environmental scientist for a class in high school and I would like someone to answer my questions, If you think you are well qualified please respond!
4. Apart from math and science, what other subjects are related to environmental science?

Hi, Kare.

I am a consulting geologist who has worked for environmental companies over the years.
1. The kind of work you do depends on who you work for to some extent. Field work includes site inspections (for compliance with regulations and permits) and investigations of soil, water and air contamination. But most of the time environmental professionals are in the office writing reports of one kind or another, either workplans for future investigations, or reports of past investigations.
2. A four-year degree is required for entry-level jobs. People are often promoted to higher-paying positions with more responsibility with only a Bachelor's degree, but a Master's degree might make you more marketable. Experience is more valuable than graduate work, though.
3. Right now the demand is pretty low due to the economy in general, and the fact that there has been a reduction in the amount of federal and state money funding cleanups of abandoned hazardous waste sites. But there are jobs out there if you are willing to relocate.
4. Being able to write clearly and concisely and organize thoughts is a valuable skill. Environmental law is another area that is important. Some environmental professional major in political science or economics if they want to do policy work.
5. There are times when you need to come up with a creative solution to a problem; something that hasn't been tried yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kare in Sterling Heights, Michigan

58 months ago

Wow! thank you so much, I was on a tight deadline and you answered my questions quickly and efficently. Thank you very much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Bronx, New York

55 months ago

Kare in Whitmore Lake, Michigan said: I have to interview an environmental scientist for a class in high school and I would like someone to answer my questions, If you think you are well qualified please respond!

1.Each day is an opportunity to sustainably manage the environment for present and future generation.
2.4Years BSc and 2 Years MSc
3.Fairly in demand,but one would need to do lots of internship for more field work.
4.Management courses,geology and economics are invloved.
5.Yes,developing solutions and preventive outlines in water,air,noise etcncan be very creative when more ideas come together,also worksenvironmental engineering can be creative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Bronx, New York

55 months ago

Preserve the environment,live longer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.