Are environmental scientist job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most environmental scientist opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

joe in Pontiac, Michigan

47 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most environmental scientist opportunities?

They are declining. worst in over 20 years. Decline began in Bush years due to cuts in oversite spending. What you see happening in the Gulf w BP reflects the "coziness" that has developed with all regulated industry and the pervasive lack of oversite and compliance nationwide. Getting the EPA to respond to real issues is a non starter. if you speak "non compliance" its considered inappropriate. With over 20 years of diverse experience, I am working barely above minimum wage because there are so few jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

me in indiana in Fort Wayne, Indiana

38 months ago

Must still be declining. I have a degree plus 40 hour HAZWOPER and still can't find an entry level job after 2 years!! I have sent resumes to nearly every environmental company I could find in 3 states and daily search for openings. Is anyone else having the same problem or am I just unlucky??

Even most entry level positions require at least a year's experience! I never thought it would be so ridiculously hard to find an entry level job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

still trying in Cleveland, Ohio

37 months ago

it is hard for this degree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

and things are harder here in the midwest, you need to network with the people who know people in your interest area, I guess good luck let me know I have also been looking I dont understand what is going on maybe just things are picking inches at a time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

I meant picking up inches at a time. Indiana should be better then Ohio. Have you thought of Minnesota or North Dakota. Broaden your scope.

still trying in Cleveland in Rossford, Ohio

37 months ago

You might try and get an internship with a company in your area. Some times it can turn into something. Make sure you have in your classes what companies want, some of the environmental degrees are weak(my opinion). You also need to know what you want to do that is reflected in the material you send an employer. However, I think some companies are in a freeze until they feel comfortable.
Definitely keep looking especially something for the summer.

Texan in Odessa, Texas

37 months ago

They are tough in Texas unless you are lower level. Too many people entered the field prior to the recession and now they have no place to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Canal Winchester, Ohio

31 months ago

I have heard nothing over the past 5 months in my job search. I have about 25 apps in between state agencies and private companies spread across Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. I have a military background and environmental health and safety experience along with an AA in management, an AAS in munitions, and a BS in environmental science (with honors magna cum laude). From the other posts it sound like the jobs market is getting pretty bad, good luck with everyone in their search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Milee in Seattle, Washington

30 months ago

me in indiana in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: Must still be declining. I have a degree plus 40 hour HAZWOPER and still can't find an entry level job after 2 years!! I have sent resumes to nearly every environmental company I could find in 3 states and daily search for openings. Is anyone else having the same problem or am I just unlucky??

Even most entry level positions require at least a year's experience! I never thought it would be so ridiculously hard to find an entry level job.

You're not the only one. I've applied for jobs in several states and haven't heard anything form most of them. On top of that a lot of entry level positions are now requiring more experience than should be necessary because they know they will get more experienced people to take the lower level pay (Thank you dwindling economy).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Natalia in Parlin, New Jersey

27 months ago

I also can not find an environmental job. I graduated the University with Master degree in Environment Scince. I was looking for the job almost 4 years. I gave up because i did not receive any respond on my resumes, even sorry but you are not a right candidat or, something simular.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HazMatt19382 in West Chester, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

me in indiana in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: Must still be declining. I have a degree plus 40 hour HAZWOPER and still can't find an entry level job after 2 years!! I have sent resumes to nearly every environmental company I could find in 3 states and daily search for openings. Is anyone else having the same problem or am I just unlucky??

I have 3 1/2 years of experience, 2 of which are project oversight for the EPA, all of the required OSHA trainings, I'm looking to relocate and I can't find anything even entry level. I've been looking for over a year now. The job that I managed to land 2 years ago lowballed me on salary by about $14k when compared to the mean entry level salary for the area. Its rough man. Really rough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Flemflamman in Midland, Texas

26 months ago

The consulting industry has a glut of very qualified folks, and even they are working on the cheap or without a pay raise, so trying to break in is tuff allover. I think things will turn around and never underestimate the power of networking and internships.

Penny in West Sacramento, California

14 months ago

I have a Masters of Environmental Science and I applied for jobs with the state departments of Environmental whatever in Maine, New York, New Jersey and am even considering Maryland; no dice so far. And that was two-three years ago so by now they've probably lost my application or my eligibility on the "list" has expired. So much for state governments hiring. Even "trainee" level jobs don't want you without years of industry experience on top of having majored in it. Not even to so much as fill petri dishes or wash laboratory glassware.

14 months ago

And because this is the way the science job market has been since the 90's when I got that degree, I've been scraping by as a substitute teacher and agency temp-data-entry-clerk type ever since then, which then makes it so I can't answer the interview questions properly on the off chance I DO make it to the interview process for an "entry level" job in my field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

HazMatt19382 in West Chester, Pennsylvania said: I have 3 1/2 years of experience, 2 of which are project oversight for the EPA, all of the required OSHA trainings, I'm looking to relocate and I can't find anything even entry level. I've been looking for over a year now. The job that I managed to land 2 years ago lowballed me on salary by about $14k when compared to the mean entry level salary for the area. Its rough man. Really rough.

The state of New York doesn't care if you live in New York when you apply, but you'll sit on an eligibility list for years and years. And the jobs are all in the state capital so there wouldn't be the "cost of living" problem.

14 months ago

still trying in Cleveland in Rossford, Ohio said: You might try and get an internship with a company in your area. Some times it can turn into something. Make sure you have in your classes what companies want, some of the environmental degrees are weak(my opinion). You also need to know what you want to do that is reflected in the material you send an employer. However, I think some companies are in a freeze until they feel comfortable.
Definitely keep looking especially something for the summer.

Internships require that you be CURRENTLY enrolled in an undergraduate program and "know someone." Even unpaid; even those things are still wanting "references" before they let you VOLUNTEER. Yeesh.

jay in Kansas City, Missouri

9 months ago

You have to start out with a crappy low wage government technician job for a couple of years and gain some certifications along the way. 99% of consultant companies will never hire anyone with little experience or certifications that prove knowledge and experience. There are some small consultant companies in places where most people dont want to live or move to that will hire. However, i suggest u move to an environmentally friendly or environmentally strict city like chicago.

9 months ago

Penny in West Sacramento, California said: Internships require that you be CURRENTLY enrolled in an undergraduate program and "know someone." Even unpaid; even those things are still wanting "references" before they let you VOLUNTEER. Yeesh.

Internships are such a racket and take away paid jobs to others that are experienced.

9 months ago

All the environmental scientist jobs that came easy to me were to ones i applied to while I was already employed as an environmental scientist. They dont seem to hire if you ALREADY dont have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.