HOW TO BECOME A HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

francisco in Tijuana, Mexico

70 months ago

there is a school in san bernardino ca, is called southern california college of construction. Being honest with you these is not a good time to get train there is no work and the training is 14,000 dollars.I graduate in august is time that i havent find a job,most companies ask for more than 3 years of experience...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

francisco olivares in Tijuana, Mexico

70 months ago

Operator bill in west linn, Oregon said: check with your local union. international union of operating engineer's. they have apprenticeship programs where they teach you. you don't have to know a thing

thankyou bill i really apreciate your time in answering me.Being honest with you i went to the local 12 union in san diego and they did´t tell me nothing about that.I will ask them tomorrow..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Operator bill in west linn, Oregon

70 months ago

oh,,san diego,,,

I don't have much good to say about them,, not to disuade you in any way. perhaps it was just my circumstances.

They seem to be very political. I was on their "C" list (being new to town) for 8 months as a journeyman. while they were telling me it was slow, no work..... of course i had to get a job elsewhere while i was waiting for them to dispatch me.
a lot of the sub contractors we used were union... they were telling me opposite.. that the hall was empty, there is lots of work..

Dan Hahn is the head guy at local 12. we have had a few words and i have found out from other locals that he has never pulled a lever. I have no respect for the man. I don't think he wanted me in because i was an "outsider".

like i say, that was just my experience....

Yours may be different. What area do you live in? I lived in carlsbad for 5 years. worked for a company called west coast. we did all of the trolley road renovation between c street and the ball park downtown..., intersection improvement at torrey pine/lajolla shores drive... worked on railroad stabilization around del mar and lajolla. carlsbad airport taxiway addition.. lots of parks and fed building
I just moved from there last year cause the work situation got worse.. alot of my friends were construction business owners,, they had to close their doors.

anyway, i moved to oregon because of this,,, not much better here. but at least it is cheaper to live.
i miss being there though...

let me know what they say.... just ask for the "training center number.. or who you talk to about apprenticeship opportunities.........good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

francisco olivares in Tijuana, Mexico

69 months ago

Operator bill in west linn, Oregon said: oh,,san diego,,,

hello bill
Thank you so much for your advice i really needed. I went the other day to the local 12 office but they did not tell me anything about the program.The only thing they told me it was that the only members that are getting most of the jobs where the class "A and "B Because of the state econonomy.
By the way i live in the chula vista area, but right now i am staing most part of the week in tijuana....
Thanks again for your comment it is really helpfull for my situation. I hope things get better and good luck in oregon..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

francsico olivares in Spring Valley, California

69 months ago

Operator bill in west linn, Oregon said: oh,,san diego,,,

I don't have much good to say about them,, not to disuade you in any way. perhaps it was just my circumstances.

They seem to be very political. I was on their "C" list (being new to town) for 8 months as a journeyman. while they were telling me it was slow, no work..... of course i had to get a job elsewhere while i was waiting for them to dispatch me.
a lot of the sub contractors we used were union... they were telling me opposite.. that the hall was empty, there is lots of work..

Dan Hahn is the head guy at local 12. we have had a few words and i have found out from other locals that he has never pulled a lever. I have no respect for the man. I don't think he wanted me in because i was an "outsider".

like i say, that was just my experience....

Yours may be different. What area do you live in? I lived in carlsbad for 5 years. worked for a company called west coast. we did all of the trolley road renovation between c street and the ball park downtown..., intersection improvement at torrey pine/lajolla shores drive... worked on railroad stabilization around del mar and lajolla. carlsbad airport taxiway addition.. lots of parks and fed building
I just moved from there last year cause the work situation got worse.. alot of my friends were construction business owners,, they had to close their doors.

anyway, i moved to oregon because of this,,, not much better here. but at least it is cheaper to live.
i miss being there though...

let me know what they say.... just ask for the "training center number.. or who you talk to about apprenticeship opportunities.........good luck

Hello bill it is me again i went today in the morning to the local 12 office and the lady in the front desk, she told that the next day for the apprenticeship program it is going to start until next year. That the only thing i can do is wait for october to do a test.. i wait for your answer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

francsico olivares in Spring Valley, California

69 months ago

did any body from the operators know anything about the aprentership program at the local 12 union in san diego

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bobby in Sun City, California

68 months ago

I was part of the first graduating classes. I have resigned myself to paying the 21,000 dollar loan I have now with no hope of ever having a heavy equipment operating job. The Sallie Mae loan has increased in interest in one year by 1000 dollars with all payments made every month on time. I cannot wait for this school to go belly up because it will. Jehovah the trainer had a friend that did equipment work to the tune of 3,000 dollars for the school and never got paid. This was absolutely the worst decision I have ever made. Studentloanjustice.org This school is a scheme and everyone feels it sitting in that classroom. The instructors knew it too. I pray that the Lord breaks that place and all those condescending people who knew there was no future for any of the people paying for this training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

LW in Deland, Florida

67 months ago

francisco in Tijuana, Mexico said: there is a school in san bernardino ca, is called southern california college of construction. Being honest with you these is not a good time to get train there is no work and the training is 14,000 dollars.I graduate in august is time that i havent find a job,most companies ask for more than 3 years of experience...

$14,000.00 dollars? WOW National Training in Florida
is a much, MUCH better school, accredited, lots less expensive and 7 peices of equipment to train on!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LW in Deland, Florida

67 months ago

National Training in Jacksonviell, Fl. is a much better training facility, cost WAY less, train on 7 different types of equipment and cost way less.. $14,000.00 was WAY TO MUCH TO PAY !
National Training is less that even if you travel from California!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dirtride in Daly City, California

61 months ago

francisco olivares in Tijuana, Mexico said: thankyou bill i really apreciate your time in answering me.Being honest with you i went to the local 12 union in san diego and they did´t tell me nothing about that.I will ask them tomorrow..

Just get on with a good company/company's start as a labor and work your way up thats how you will gain knowledge and respect. If you think your gonna go to school and learn how things really go on the job and being the best operator you can be head to the east coast mainly south and learn there spend the time 4 years will do ya fine to feel very comfortable operating on any site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dirtride in Daly City, California

61 months ago

Operator bill in west linn, Oregon said: check with your local union. international union of operating engineer's. they have apprenticeship programs where they teach you. you don't have to know a thing

Reason why i say east coast they will give you the chance to get on bigger equipment as in out here on the west the will not ever really give you the chance unless your fiends with a owner but theres to many scared company's from the insurance issues and being sued out on the east they dont give a @@#7% get in and operate if you show them heart you want to within 4 years you can come up big time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

opbill55 in Oregon City, Oregon

59 months ago

francsico olivares in Spring Valley, California said: Hello bill it is me again i went today in the morning to the local 12 office and the lady in the front desk, she told that the next day for the apprenticeship program it is going to start until next year. That the only thing i can do is wait for october to do a test.. i wait for your answer

yes,,, the apprenticship program entry is a once a year deal.... they take applicants based on how well they seem to understand the industry..... basically,, do you have the aptitude it takes to be a good operator..

they only choose a handful per year.... maybe 15 or so. depending on the projected need.

it's difficult to get in,,, but once you are in,, your in a very good position... and it gets better.... the pay starts out at about 60% of scale wage... which would be about 18 bucks an hour... but it goes up every year for about four years... then your at the top... and , you have have much confidence on your abilities.

hang in there..... it's tough all over. i've been out of work for over a year now........... this sucks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

opbill55 in Oregon City, Oregon

59 months ago

andrew st.helens oregon said: i have had similar troubles i went to an equipment school in woodland wa, called west coast training there program has bore me little fruit in the industry i am certin the school is chewing up students with false promises. currently i am seeking an apprenticeship for equipment operator.as it seems that this is where i am most likely to gain the needed expirence to reach journeyman status. i have found that the union halls in oregon are full of hot air also.in this economay i belive that it should be illegal to bait young students with false promises it is certinly jacked up.

Hi andrew... I've been trying to get back into the union since i moved here 2 years ago...... this year i did not even bother to sign up on the list... i go in and visit now and again and chat. they told me this year would be the worst... that they would not even be able to dispatch everyone on the a or b list , let alone the c list.....that is how slow it is. you actually have a better chance right now than i do, because they have to have one apprentice on a job for every 4-5 journeymen (i think). or 6 or something.... that puts you in a job before me.

and the training is the best you can get...... keep plugging away.. the ecomomy will get better,, and you'll be glad you did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Troutdale, Oregon

46 months ago

can anyone give me the adress and phone number to the union operating school in Oregon. and does anyone have any info on the school in eugene or.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

chrisscotttreat in Plainfield, Indiana

31 months ago

Operator bill in west linn, Oregon said: check with your local union. international union of operating engineer's. they have apprenticeship programs where they teach you. you don't have to know a thing

You have to be accepted through the application process and that's not a piece of cake. The more experience you have , aCDL lic., have worked in pnuematics or diesel trucks, ect..., the better chance of being accepted, but I don't have a thorough farming backgroung to to get accepted by HEO Union. I wish I did!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.