Aesthetic programs in St. Louis?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 63)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Brittney in Saint Louis, Missouri

77 months ago

Ive only checked out xenon and Salon professional spa so far and just got the numbers to the skin institute and Aesthetics inst. of st. louis. does anyone know where i can get feedback from students who have went to school around st. louis area? i cant find anything when i try to search school feedback. or does anyone know anything about these schools? im new to this industry and just trying to find a good school. can anyone point me in the righ direction?

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lola333 in st louis, Missouri

77 months ago

Brittney, I am in the exact same boat as you. What do you think of xenon and salon pro spa? A distant relative of mine is an esthetician working on mich. ave. in chicago I emailed her to see what school she went to and what her thoughts were on the schools in stl, when I hear from her I'll post any good advice she has. Also have you heard of the skin institute, I am going for an interview there this week...we'll see how it goes, I've been trying to do a lot of research so i can ask them questions to make sure they are legit. Please post anything you find about esthetics schools in the st louis area if you learn anything new. Thanks!

Brittney in Saint Louis, Missouri

77 months ago

well i went and visited skin inst. last week then went back to salon pro. after talking to a couple students i decided to go with salon pro. they use a system called krs. it basically is a way of using a point system to make sure you are getting referals and such. they seemed pretty hard core and were really structured and after talking to a couple students i feel this would be the best place for me! skin inst. was nice and the hours were great but i felt that i would get more education for my money at the salon pro/ hop that helped at all. good luck!

jeffb in Dallas, Texas

77 months ago

Are we talking about a school or a salon/spa? Also, can you tell me more about this point system?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nik in Saint Louis, Missouri

76 months ago

Brittney in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Ive only checked out xenon and Salon professional spa so far and just got the numbers to the skin institute and Aesthetics inst. of st. louis. does anyone know where i can get feedback from students who have went to school around st. louis area? i cant find anything when i try to search school feedback. or does anyone know anything about these schools? im new to this industry and just trying to find a good school. can anyone point me in the righ direction?

thanks

I am about to graduate from the skin institute in about a month or so. I love it there...teh girls as well as the teachers. It is an IDI school as well as dermologica partned and also skin ceuticals. It has an excellant eduacation...with oppertunities to take classes at any of the IDI locations ....which there are like nineteen in the us...like chicago vegas la ny, ect. But a lot of us girls take trips up to chicago to one of hte IDI (international dermal instute) post grad school is located there. All in all i would definetly come check out the school. Talk to victoria...shes the owner and shes awsome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Margot in Saint Louis, Missouri

75 months ago

HI NIK,
I'Would like to offer you an opportunity to improve your sell skills with no cost by discovering a new approach of selling the beauty products and spa services to the consumers. This new program will help you become more knowledgeable, persuasive and will teach you how to built a new relationship between yourself and your clients. You will take advantage of my Knowledge and expertise, however, i need an opportunities to introduce my new training program and make sure that it will match the needs of the American market.
I' am French, i've been here in St louis for 4 years and i have been in the esthetic field more then 25 years.
My goal through this exchange is to polish my English, also my technical vocabulary as well as to gain a better understanding of the American esthetic market. if you are interested by this offer, please send me a email, then I'II send you my phone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Margot in Saint Louis, Missouri

75 months ago

lola333 in st louis, Missouri said: Brittney, I am in the exact same boat as you. What do you think of xenon and salon pro spa? A distant relative of mine is an esthetician working on mich. ave. in chicago I emailed her to see what school she went to and what her thoughts were on the schools in stl, when I hear from her I'll post any good advice she has. Also have you heard of the skin institute, I am going for an interview there this week...we'll see how it goes, I've been trying to do a lot of research so i can ask them questions to make sure they are legit. Please post anything you find about esthetics schools in the st louis area if you learn anything new. Thanks!

where is salon pro spa located in st louis? thanks

teatee63126 in Saint Louis, Missouri

73 months ago

I am thinking of changing my career. How much would I expect to make as an Esthetician. I know this may be a broad range but I need something. How is the job market? What does one make if they work for a Dermatologist?
Thanks
TT

Aimee in Collinsville, Illinois

72 months ago

I am in the OFallon IL area but am researching areas of STL also for esthetics schools. I am not having much luck!! I wouldnt mind driving, but an hour commute is too much considering my husband is military and we have 2 small children. ANY help out there would be greatly appreciated. I have searched and searched online and just want to find a decent school close to me. I am going to search Salon Pro and the Aesthetics Institute now...although are they closing?

lauren in Fenton, Missouri

72 months ago

I think the aesthetics institute may be closed...but salon pro is not

deborahanthony in Saint Louis, Missouri

67 months ago

I'm looking into going to esthetic school beginning of next year or so. Last year I visited Skin Institute, Xenon Academy and Salon Professional Academy. The people at Xenon were so friendly and spent alot of time showing me around, telling me about the program, and answering all my questions. I also went to Skin Institute but did not get a tour and didn't answer all my questions or return my calls but they seem to have good training and work with some of the best products. Salon Pro Academy seemed to have a great esthetics program and have lots of connections. I still haven't decided where to attend so I am going to go do my research some more. I would love to go to school in Chicago but don't want to move etc. Any suggestions from grads or others would be greatly appreciated.

anonymous in Saint Louis, Missouri

66 months ago

every school is going to have its flaws, i went to the skin institute. I loved my time there it was clean and professional looking and the products they use are some of the best. (dermalogica and skinceuticals for skin, jane iredale for makeup) I was completely confident when it came time for both the written and state test and passed both with flying colors (99 on the state board and something like a 92 on the written)
I will say, however, they arent too fantastic with helping you find a job later on (something they promised but didnt follow up on) the staff is very nice but the owner is a little frustrating sometimes. shes very sweet but she can kinda be flakey and tends to lie ("you better hurry we only have one spot left" which the students later found she said to everyone lol)

Anyway i hope that was semi helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I agree with what is written above...I am a student there and I do enjoy it. Another girl in my class has a friend who teaches at xenon and the friend even told her that the skin inst. is a better school for esthetics and gave her the recommendation to go there. It makes sense...all the other schools teach hair and possibly nails too, skin institute is esthetics only all funds and attention goes towards esthetics. The owner and some of the instructors can be frustrating at times although I personally haven't had an unpleasant experience with them I know other girls in class who have. I think it just depends and I'm sure that could happen anywhere. I am confident that my education there is the best in stl and would recommend the school. Also the rumor is they may be moving into a bigger, nicer location which I think would def. help! Just the extra space could make things more pleasant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thank you for the information. I want to go there but Victoria won't return my calls! I really upsets me because I am so passionate about skin and make-up that I should have been in the industry years ago but I went and got a Bachelor's that I haven't used! It will help for the business side. I don't know if I should try to call her again? I really cannot afford to move to Chicago or other major city to attend school. If you have any ideas please let me know what i can do. I'm disparate!

Thanks

66 months ago

Thank you for responding. my big thing is that I want a good school where I can excel and the stuff, students are great to work with and learn with. I don't know what to do about Victoria. Last year I spoke to her and even sent her a "Thank You" note and never heard back from her. Unless she is superficial and/or predjudice about weight or something I wouldn't know why. Now at that time they did not have financial aid but I do qualify to receive it or at least I did through Xenon. Any other suggestions, hints,etc would be greatly appreciated!! I am also trying to get my foot in the door at a salon or Sephora because I my passion!

Thanks again!

66 months ago

That is very strange, I remember I contacted her through the website form and the very next day I got a phone call and we set up a time to meet. Did you fill out the form on the website? I would call up there again tomorrow from 10-2 she is usually very eager to show students the school and give tours I see prospective students coming through on tours all the time.

66 months ago

I will try to call her again and fill out the form. Maybe I should make up a different name! LOL!!!! She didn't even give me a tour of the school!

Anonymous me in Florissant, Missouri

65 months ago

Hi I have called and called Skin Institute and left numerous messages as well as filled out online inquiry. NO CALL BACKS from VICTORIA! I think Im gonna go with Xenon<<< So far they are great. I love their customer service! Im still researching Salon Pro..... :(

65 months ago

Sounds like what I am considering too. I just need a schedule so I can work too. I hope we can figure out which one will fit our needs the most. The way I see it is that I will go a here in St Louis and get licensed then take continuing ed make-up classes and spray tanning and everything else I want to know at classes in NYC and LA etc. Thanks for your input. Let me know what you end up doing and when you start because we might meet there!
Have a great day!
Deb

65 months ago

I am thinking I amy just show uo at the Skin Institute and be nice but firm. It really pisses me off!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I would try and show up there and get a tour of the skin inst. victoria has been sick since last fri today was her first day back...the problem with xenon, salon pro etc is that they are cosmetology schools so you are going to have teachers trained to do hair really well but not esthetics. The new class that just started has several girls who went to these cosmetology schools and didn't see their esthetics program very fitting..just saying it may be worth it to check out skin inst. if you are looking to do skin only.

carla in Saint Louis, Missouri

65 months ago

are you a student at Skin Institut??

65 months ago

No but I am very interested in going there since I only want to do esthetics and have heard they have a great program. This is my dream job but just not getting a response from Victoria so may just go and request a tour and to talk to her. I met her late 2009 but unable to go at that time and never got to tour the facilities. Any thoughts on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Candace in Saint Louis, Missouri

65 months ago

How much is Skin Institute and can you recieve financial aid?

65 months ago

They do offer financial aid but I don't know anymore details than that. Some people have been having some troubles with them and financial aid so I would be sure to ask lots of questions and get things in writing. When I started the price was around ten grand...I hear now its around 14,000 but not 100% sure, I know for a fact it got raised to 12 grand but I dont see how they can justify a 2-4,000 increase within the span of a year, that also may be something to ask...what is the added tuition going towards, even though I didn't pay that amount I sure would like to know those details...

Candace in Saint Louis, Missouri

65 months ago

Thank you for your quick response. I am very interested in going to the school. Do you like the school? Have you graduated already? I really love makeup and skin care is just as important. I would like to get into being a medical aethetician. I'm just going to hate the drive to go to school.

65 months ago

No problem I get an email whenever something is posted on here so lol yes quick responses. I do still go there, I think it is the best school for esthetics in the st louis area. Of course there are some issues I have with the school but I think any type of school anywhere in the country will not be absolutely perfect. The make up kit they give us is not impressive whatsoever....make-up isn't a very large part of the curriculum although it is covered and you will learn a few things if you don't have much experience with make-up going into it don't expect to come out as a make-up artist. But since you said you are mostly interested in being a medical esthetician than this would be perfect for you. They do have contacts with dr's offices and reps that know lots of derms. and I know there have been past grads who work at medi spas through out st louis. In the end though at this school you are what you make of it, if you are shy, not very good with people or are afraid to jump into things this place may not be the best for you, ambition is really valued amongst the instructors I've noticed.

candace in Minneapolis, Minnesota

65 months ago

I am pretty much a makeup lover already know most all the basics and a quite a bit more. I would just use the license for medical esthetician. I do makeup on the side already. Email me if you like. What are your complaints? Candace228@yahoo.com

Clara in Saint Louis, Missouri

65 months ago

If you still go at. Skin institut, can i give you my email ?? I need to ask you some questions. Your help is precious .

65 months ago

Candace,
You sound exactly like me! I am a make-up junkie and have great knowledge of both products and application. i want to get licensed as well and use it for medical esthetician and then go take some extensive make-up classes in L.A., NYC, Toronto, and Paris or something. If you find out any more info please let me know.
Thanks

65 months ago

Clara yes you can send me your email and I can hopefully answer all your questions.

Clara in Saint Louis, Missouri

65 months ago

Wonderful!!! Here my email: machouikhi@aol.com

candace in Council Bluffs, Iowa

65 months ago

No problem i will.. i absolutely love these ladies called pixiwoo. And if you look up their page which is pixiwoo.com it will show the classes they teach on there. But its in London. Im planning on going there too

65 months ago

i have seen tutorials from pixiwoo and quite a few others on you tube. All kinds of looks! Yes London is also a place I was looking in to.

anonymous in Chesterfield, Missouri

65 months ago

I currently go to the Skin Insitute and love it. Whenever I was looking around at schools I had heard so many differnt things about different schools around the area and did not know what to do! If you want to be an esthetician and be very confident in your skills after you leave and go into the real world you will appreciate the knowledge you learn at this school. I love the teachers and staff although I do know some students get frusterated. I used to want to do make up before I started and now I'm dead set on working at a salon. Make up is not a huge thing but you do learn about it! I didn't get a tour of the school either when I visited =( But I still love it!! LOL

anonymous in Chesterfield, Missouri

65 months ago

I currently go to the Skin Insitute and love it. Whenever I was looking around at schools I had heard so many differnt things about different schools around the area and did not know what to do! If you want to be an esthetician and be very confident in your skills after you leave and go into the real world you will appreciate the knowledge you learn at this school. I love the teachers and staff although I do know some students get frusterated. I used to want to do make up before I started and now I'm dead set on working at a salon. Make up is not a huge thing but you do learn about it! I didn't get a tour of the school either when I visited =( But I still love it!! LOL

65 months ago

i definately want to do the esthetics and get a job at a dermatolgist or plastic surgeons office. I love make-up but unless I move to LA or NYC there is not much need here in St Louis unless I do some freelance after taking extra classes.

So what is your suggestion on getting in to see Victoria and get a tour of the school? The hours there will make it easier for me to work a part-time job too. i want to know the start dates for this year so i can set a goal of when I can start. What is the next step I should take?

Thanks

65 months ago

everything you need to do should be on the website, I think you can sign up for a tour on there or call the school to set up an appointment to meet vitctoria.

65 months ago

i have called and filled out the contact info online numerous times and have never received a response. I may just have to walk in and say i want to tour the school and meet with Victoria. I don't know which way to go with it.

Taylor Elaine

64 months ago

I keep visiting the skin institute ewbsite but there aren't any postings for a 2011 program schedule! Does anybody know it?

64 months ago

I haven't seen or heard anything but i can't get a callback anyway. I'm thinking about looking into a different school then do alot of continuing education/training. I want to start this summer or fall. I wish St Louis had more options.

candace in Brooklyn, New York

64 months ago

I also left my info on the website and didnt get a call back, but i called and spoke with Victoria directly and I have an appt with her next week. Just give them a call during business hours and keep trying. They are there and they will answer. Just keep trying. If you really want it bad enough it will happen. She has a lot of appointments already so i believe they are actually busy. Keep trying. Hope to see you all soon in class.

64 months ago

I have called numerous times and left messages and got no callback. It's very discouraging because I shouldn't have to keep calling. Its not very professional for her not to callback. I'm not sure what I'm going to do unless I just show up and let them know I am not leaving until I speak with her. Who knows.

61 months ago

I was doing research on Esthetic schools in St. Louis and found this site. I recently had an interview and "tour" with Victoria. It was a quick interview. She didn't really explain anything. Just told me if I want to "save my spot" to put down $500 and to fill out the FAFSA online and call her back. I wanted more explanation of the course program, instructors, etc... But I proceeded to fill out the FAFSA application online and gave her a call back. We played phone tag for about a week. When I finally got a hold of her (after she got my message about wanting more info on financial aid) she thought I was a totally different person and was trying to set up a time for an interview. After much confusion she then put someone else on the phone who is in charge of financial aid. Not sure why they didn't initially have me speak with her. They are supposed to call me back after they look at my FAFSA application to determine my financial aid, so I'm still waiting. Not certain what I think about this school. Seems very unorganized and unprofessional. But I have heard many good things about the program. Someone even said, "It's one of the best Esthetic schools in the midwest". Based on the comments on this site, it seems like a great school with some flaws. I'm still on the fence though.....

debbie in Ballwin, Missouri

61 months ago

I understand completely. When I went and met her in 2009, i didn't even get a tour. Victoria is not the warmest person because it's all about the money. I have called 4 times in the past 4-5 months and have never received a callback. It's suppose to be a great school but if that's how they do business then I will find somewhere else. I myself may just show up at the school and thank her for not returning my calls then report to BBB and maybe attorney general's office.

61 months ago

They do say they try and be very selective about their students "they dont let just anyone in" but judging from some students I have experienced there, especially the class that is next in line to graduate, it makes me wonder how selective they really are.

debbie in Saint Louis, Missouri

61 months ago

They should not be that selective. I'm a heavy set woman but that shouldn't matter because I am very knowlegable and passionate about skin care and make-up. I have the personality as well. It's the lack of customer service and at least return phone calls. I may just go to Salon Pofessionals due to all this bs!

60 months ago

STILL waiting for them to call me back, it's been over a week... So unprofessional!

debbie in Saint Louis, Missouri

60 months ago

My suggestion is to look into a school where the owner and staff are happy you are interested and return your calls!!!

KELSEYANNE in Memphis, Tennessee

58 months ago

I HAVE FILLED OUT AT LEAST 2 CONTACT INFORMATION PAGES AND ITS BEEN ALMOST 2 WEEKS AND NO CALL. I SEE OHTER PEOPLE HAVE COMMENTED ON THE SAME ISSUE. IS THIS SCHOOL WORTH THIS DISAPOINMENT?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.