Aveda Institute or Atelier Institute in New York???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 201)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

JaclynB in San Francisco, California

77 months ago

I've been looking into school in New York and I'm not sure which one to attend. Anybody have any feedback on the Aveda Institute or Atelier Institute in New York??? Any other school suggestions???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (109) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Martha Chiriboga in Las Vegas, Nevada

76 months ago

If I had the reserves in live in NY for one year as an unemployed student, and if the Atelier Institute is plugged into the Federal Loan programs, I would go to the ITEC school (which is similar to CIDESCO). I respect owners are movers and shakers (like me)!

:-)

www.piercemattie.com/editor-tools/annette_1.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa B. in New York, New York

76 months ago

I've been researching the "Christine Valmy" school in nyc. Beside the fact
that Ateleir offers an ITEC certificte I'm not sure which is better.

Any comments about "Christine Valmy" would be helpful.

thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rebekah R

76 months ago

Theresa B. in New York, New York said: I've been researching the "Christine Valmy" school in nyc. Beside the fact
that Ateleir offers an ITEC certificte I'm not sure which is better.

Any comments about "Christine Valmy" would be helpful.

thanks.

I took a chemical peel class at Atelier the techer was very good but I think if you want your ITEC you have to take there ITEC classes even if your going to there school. But the product line that they use there I dont think is organic were as Aveda is.
I went to the Christine Vamky in NJ and I felt that my education was ok, now when I for jobs employers are impressed that I went there.... they alway say "wow". there you only learn there product line but in any school you are only going to learn one line. in a way is good because it gives you a starting point to work from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PerfectHealth in Denver, Colorado

75 months ago

I went to Atelier a few years ago and they were going through some major problems. Teachers coming and going, Annette having breakdowns... However, I would recommend the school over the others in NYC--a decent education and people who care about skin care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karissa71781 in Morristown, New Jersey

74 months ago

Hi this comment is to Rebekah..How did you like your education at Christine Valmy? I am planning on attending next month for the aesthetics course. I want to make sure I pick a good school that impresses employers. Have you found good work out there in the industry? It is between this school and Artistic Academy in Morris Plains NJ. Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karissa71781 in Morristown, New Jersey

74 months ago

Rebekah R said: I took a chemical peel class at Atelier the techer was very good but I think if you want your ITEC you have to take there ITEC classes even if your going to there school. But the product line that they use there I dont think is organic were as Aveda is.
I went to the Christine Vamky in NJ and I felt that my education was ok, now when I for jobs employers are impressed that I went there.... they alway say "wow". there you only learn there product line but in any school you are only going to learn one line. in a way is good because it gives you a starting point to work from.

Hi this comment is to Rebekah..How did you like your education at Christine Valmy? I am planning on attending next month for the aesthetics course. I want to make sure I pick a good school that impresses employers. Have you found good work out there in the industry? It is between this school and Artistic Academy in Morris Plains NJ. Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

SI in New York, New York

73 months ago

hi,
i have friends/colleagues that have gone to Aveda in soho and really thought the quality of the program was strong. they have strong connections in nyc and around and she is working with a nice spa in the city. they are accredited and offer financial aid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jana

73 months ago

I am currently attending the Aveda institute in Florida and I love it! I am also in the esthetician program and it is amazing. I looked @ several schools before this and they just taught you the basics. Sure you are going to learn micro-peels (which is terrible for your skin), botox ect. but @ Aveda it is pure, organic which is the way the world is changing to. The 2nd week of school and we were already doing facials. They also help you find jobs. My este instructors wife made $50k last summer only doing waxing..Also, my teacher was an mechanical engin. and is now in esthetician instructor..so there has to be some money..ha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in Hot Springs, South Dakota

73 months ago

Does anyone know anything about the message therapy program at Aveda? Or about how much they make?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

is in New York, New York

73 months ago

i think it depends what school you go to.
as far as is know, each state has different requirements which can result in different prices for school.

Michelle in New York, New York

72 months ago

Can anyone recommend a good school in New York? Specifically in Manhattan?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

si in New York, New York

72 months ago

there are a lot of different schools. i like aveda- heard really good things about it. a friend of mine recently graduated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mchelle in New York, New York

72 months ago

Unfortunately the Aveda Institute in New York does not offer their evening program anymore. Can anyone recommend another good school in Manhattan?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karissa Sencion in Rockaway, New Jersey

72 months ago

Check out ChristineValmy.com - They are on Fifth avenue. The school has been around since 1960's and its a very well known school throughout the industry. I currently attend this school but out of NJ.

J in Brooklyn, New York

71 months ago

I've just completed Atelier Esthetique's program and was very satisfied with their faculty. When I visited Aveda during my search, all I received was attitude, which didn't impress me when their price tag was higher. I'm an Atelier fan. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J in Brooklyn, New York

71 months ago

NY licensure as an esthetician is all you need to start. Learning microdermabrasion is an extra course. Chemical peels was included at Atelier, but there are different types, so other classes for the type you want may be necessary. Ateleir also teaches back facials and a body treatment - again, there are different types. As for makeup, you will get coursework at Atelier, but if you want tv/film, I recommend MUD in SoHo. Remember, continuing ed is a part of a professional's responsibilities. You would not simply attend a 600 hour program and then not continue your education after that. This includes taking classes/workshops, attending conferences, joining professional organizations and reading trade journals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya in Port-of-spain, Trinidad and Tobago

70 months ago

Jana said: I am currently attending the Aveda institute in Florida and I love it! I am also in the esthetician program and it is amazing. I looked @ several schools before this and they just taught you the basics. Sure you are going to learn micro-peels (which is terrible for your skin), botox ect. but @ Aveda it is pure, organic which is the way the world is changing to. The 2nd week of school and we were already doing facials. They also help you find jobs. My este instructors wife made $50k last summer only doing waxing..Also, my teacher was an mechanical engin. and is now in esthetician instructor..so there has to be some money..ha

Hi Jana,

Are you doing the Esthiology program or Spa program?, I'm actually coming for a tour of the Aveda Institute, Davie soon and I'm really interested in the Esthiology program...I know the Spa program includes more classes in massage therapy etc. and I'm really interested to get feedback on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

melly in Boston, Massachusetts

69 months ago

Does anyone know ehre I can take a waxing course in NYC?

alexandra in Jacksonville, Florida

69 months ago

nanci in White Plains, New York said: is anyone familiar with the new york school of esthetics in tarrytown new york? i live locally and want to enter the esthetician program in december? any feedback would be great! thanks[/

yes and familiar with Lia Shorr Institute in New York< The program is Ok they have flexible schedule on weeking, I looked @ several schools before this institute.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Howell, New Jersey

69 months ago

From my experience at Atelier Esthetique it wasn't all it is cracked up to be. I attended, and when enrolled were promised to attend field trips to different spas all over Manhattan, we never went. We were told that we would be using the skin care line of the owner, but instead at times were given bottles of it looked like samples of cleansers. Since the glass dispensary cups were going missing (along with the theft problem in the locker room), we were given oversized plastic cups and told to cut and make our own. I do think the theory education was satisfactory, but the practical preparation was not thorough enough. The owner has dollar signs written across her face and was extremely rude to several students time and time again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Howell, New Jersey

69 months ago

Also, one more thing. Since there were so many classes being taught (rounds of classes start every 3 weeks and go on a rotating cycle) the staff and educators had clear communication problems. When asked to receive our tests back to review and study, we were told we couldn't because there were cheating problems. There was confusion when learning theory AND practical because all 3 teachers taught different methods. Too much commotion and instability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

melly in Boston, Massachusetts

69 months ago

thanks for this information! Do you know anything about Christine Valle? It seems so strange that there ar e the only 3 main schools in NYC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Moira in East Meadow, New York

69 months ago

anonymous in Howell, New Jersey said: From my experience at Atelier Esthetique it wasn't all it is cracked up to be. I attended, and when enrolled were promised to attend field trips to different spas all over Manhattan, we never went. We were told that we would be using the skin care line of the owner, but instead at times were given bottles of it looked like samples of cleansers. Since the glass dispensary cups were going missing (along with the theft problem in the locker room), we were given oversized plastic cups and told to cut and make our own. I do think the theory education was satisfactory, but the practical preparation was not thorough enough. The owner has dollar signs written across her face and was extremely rude to several students time and time again.

My daughter also went to Atelier and tells similar stories. Also, she felt she did not get the waxing training she was promised. All in all however, she felt she recieved an adequate education there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J in Brooklyn, New York

69 months ago

I graduated Atelier in September. I found the teachers to be caring and knowledgeable, and the owner to always remember my name and ask after progress (not consistent with a dollars only mentality). We went on 2 field trips, and then it as stopped because students complained to the NY Dept of Ed that we were allowed to leave early, for example, if the trip ended and 3 and school ended at 4:30, the teacher would let us leave from the site. Since then, field trips weren't allowed. We used Simple Solutions which was designed by the owner; we also used Plantogen, a recognized brand not designed by the owner. I find that students who put the effort in sail through because its not brain surgery - you just need to practice. Those who sit and whine always find something to criticize. Many students in my class would avoid working at any cost, so complaints of not thorough practical rests on the student. I got lots of extra practice because the girls would say "oh, I don't want to work today", and so I'd work extra on them. And as for theft, that was students too. I'd watch them use the school's washer and dryer to do their own laundry without permission, too. Sorry, I think its fair to hear 2 sides.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gina in New York, New York

69 months ago

i have been reading the last few comments and could not resist including my two cents. from my experience at aveda, it is very much a relaxed, controlled environment. the classes are small and the students get the individual attention they need during the learning process. i was very happy with the training i had and feel like it gave me a strong foundation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RioDiJolie in Red Bank, New Jersey

69 months ago

Ahhhhhh, if you haven't come to NY yet - STOP AND CONSIDER! I can tell you, if you don't want to have the security and training that Aveda will offer you then please reconsider Atelier! Go to Christine Valmy instead!

I went to Atelier, and graduated with ease, never had problems while I was there, always had top scores, and got along great with the teachers and everyone. The problem is the curriculm sux compared to what you are paying for. Everything is an add on, and the training in microdermabrasion is outdated. Ms. Hanson is known by everyone, but that actually kept a bunch of us out of a few jobs along the way. That could happen no matter where you go. At Atelier, sometimes there are not enough lockers, the teachers go through scheduling up-roars that force Ms. Hanson into combining classes, there isn't much organization, the products are not something that you'll want to use once you leave, and the follow up career support are ads from Craigslit. I don't exactly regret having gone, because once you pay your stuck anyway - but when you look closely at all the other modalities and skills that other schools are including in your training, you'll find Atelier to be sadly lacking. If you really want a knock-out school, there is a school in upstate NY & one in Richmond VA that offer microderm, lasers, etc in their regular courses! Good luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RioDiJolie in Red Bank, New Jersey

69 months ago

Moving Mind of Pink in New York City / DC, New York said: I am looking to become an esthetician, however i am looking for an esthetician program that offers has an excellent Make up portion as well (for film/tv, deals with different lighting). Also is it important to be licensed in microdermabrasion, chemical peels and body treatments as well? Anyone information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Pink

Hi Pink,
Go to Christine Valmy, they have a specialized makeup course that is separate from the Esthetics course...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MJ in San Juan, Puerto Rico

69 months ago

Well, i've been looking for a recognized institute in NY and i found only a few of them, but felt very curious about Atelier esthetic, i receive emails from the school and it seems to be a nice school, specially for the ITEC Diploma. Im also an esthetician but im looking for a serious school and a program that really helps me to grow in this industry. Im soon visiting NYC and i need to consider another options... If anyone have the experience and knows about any other school, please let me know, tht would be very helpful...ill be there in January. Thanks!

Nicky in New York, New York

69 months ago

I notice allot of emails about Atellier, but can anyone advise about their experience with Christine Valme? I am changing proffesion and need to find a school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine in New York, New York

69 months ago

Hi, is there a vocational school in NYC that teaches esthetics? I know in Florida they have a technical school, an dthe price is so right. Any info? Help. Thanks Lorraine

Karissa Sencion in West Harrison, New York

69 months ago

I attend Christine Valmy, however it is the NJ location. I have about 2 weeks left of school. I know several people who have gotten jobs at well known places just because they attended Christine Valmy. The reputation is very good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

j in Brooklyn, New York

67 months ago

Not sure why people continue to knock Atelier. I'd be ok with it if the comments were fair. The above writer says that that IAME is best. How would she know if she went to Atelier? When I checked out the IAME website, their basic program is what Atelier teaches, but is missing some things that Atelier has, like glycolic, AHA, BHA, lash application, and more. IAME's advanced course (an add on) looks like Atelier's ITEC course, and since IAME is also ITEC certified, I'm sure that's what it is. IAME does have advanced body massage, but that because in NY esty's can't legally do body massage unless they done 1000 hours in a NY approved school and received the license. No esty school in NY is permitted to teach massage at this time.

My question is this - why is this blog so filled with negativity? I would love to see this blog helping people get jobs, or writers submitting advise to questions about practice issues, or where to get specific tools/supplies. Its a shame that all I see in my inbox from this thing is stuff that brings everyone down, rather than helps people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mindy Swartzchild in Richmond, Virginia

67 months ago

continued from above: VA law for those who want to know:

"Master esthetician" means a licensed esthetician who, in addition to the practice of esthetics, offers to the public for compensation, without the use of laser technology, lymphatic drainage, chemical exfoliation, or microdermabrasion, and who has met such additional requirements as determined by the Board to practice lymphatic drainage, chemical exfoliation with products other than Schedules II through VI controlled substances as defined in the Drug Control Act (§ 54.1-3400 et seq.), and microdermabrasion of the epidermis. Master Estheticians may also practice Esthetics as defined by Virginia Law after passing that portion of the program and any state requirements.

"Esthetics" includes, but is not limited to, the following practices of administering cosmetic treatments to enhance or improve the appearance of the skin: cleansing, toning, performing effleurage or other related movements, stimulating, exfoliating, or performing any other similar procedure on the skin of the human body or scalp by means of cosmetic preparations, treatments, any nonlaser device, electrical, mechanical, or manual, for care of the skin; applying make-up or eyelashes to any person, tinting or perming eyelashes and eyebrows, and lightening hair on the body except the scalp; and removing unwanted hair from the body of any person by the use of tweezing, chemical, or mechanical means. However, "esthetics" is not a healing art and shall not include any practice, activity, or treatment that constitutes the practice of medicine, osteopathic medicine, or chiropractic. The terms "healing arts," "practice of medicine," "practice of osteopathic medicine," and "practice of chiropractic" shall mean the same as those terms are defined in § 54.1-2900.

LETS USE THIS FORUM TO LEARN AND GROW NOT POST NEGATIVE POSTS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karen Chambers in Richmond, Virginia

67 months ago

Hey - yes I am moving to NY so can someone tell me what the NY law is?
and a BIG YES to NO MORE NEGATIVE POSTS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alexandra

67 months ago

Hello aveda institute is ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

teresa in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Im between two schools. Im not sure which type of curriculum would give me more opportunity when Im actually in the field. Im trying to decide between a 600 hour Aveda school and a 600 hr school who offers a slight intro to medical aesthetics. Natural vs. medical? Im not sure what type of setting I will want and I just want to make a wise decision as far as the job market goes. Any advice? Thanks!

Marie Lavinio in Northampton, Massachusetts

66 months ago

JaclynB in San Francisco, California said: I've been looking into school in New York and I'm not sure which one to attend. Anybody have any feedback on the Aveda Institute or Atelier Institute in New York??? Any other school suggestions???

Check out Christine Valmy on 39th and Fifth Avenue. Has a great reputation. Aveda's school is great looking, in a fun location (Soho), and concentrates on its own products and methods. Aveda likes to have its students work for Aveda salons, which can be limiting. Depends on whether or not you're a big fan of Aveda. If you are, then you will like their school. If you want something more traditional, try Valmy. Don't know about Atelier. I have checked out both Valmy and Aveda personally. Haven't made up my mind yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Martha Chiriboga in Independence, Missouri

66 months ago

My CIDESCO teacher was taught by Christy Valmy, herself, over ten years ago. Go with the original.

jessg in Middletown, New York

66 months ago

what is the school in Upstate NY? I've read reviews for one school in New Paltz which is close to where I live and it didn't sound too nice.

Gloria in New York, New York

65 months ago

JaclynB in San Francisco, California said: I've been looking into school in New York and I'm not sure which one to attend. Anybody have any feedback on the Aveda Institute or Atelier Institute in New York??? Any other school suggestions???

Go to Carsten Aveda Institute it is great!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sih in New York, New York

65 months ago

i suggest you take a look at them all. there are so many different ones.

Sarah B in New York, New York

65 months ago

Does anyone know anything about Lia Shorr Institute in New YOrk? And any comments on Aveda Institute's 600 curriculum compared to other schools?
I am pondering which school to attend and have also looked at Christine Valmy and Atalier.
Are there other schools in Manhattan that I am overlooking?

Sarah B in New York, New York

65 months ago

Thank you. Yes, your comments were helpful, and I have decided to go to The Aveda Institute. I would love to hear any other comments on The Aveda Institute School of Esthetics from others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NYNJEsthetics in Freehold, New Jersey

65 months ago

Having trouble finding a job that will provide training as I am a recent Esthetics graduate. Went to Atelier in NYC & debating on what to do next. Should I invest the money in CIDESCO training at Valmy and take out loans, or should I go back to school and get licensed for massage therapy or acupuncture instead? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

65 months ago

NYNJEsthetics in Freehold, New Jersey said: Having trouble finding a job that will provide training as I am a recent Esthetics graduate. Went to Atelier in NYC & debating on what to do next. Should I invest the money in CIDESCO training at Valmy and take out loans, or should I go back to school and get licensed for massage therapy or acupuncture instead? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

NO. I suggest you look into nursing if you are going to be investing more money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Thank you for your reply Jeff B. I just started looking into Nursing Programs in my town but am a bit confused. I LOVE the medical field, but am torn as to what part of Nursing to look into. RN? LPN? NA? What do you think would be the most beneficial to put on my resume where I can also incorporate skin care? I would appreciate any feedback from anyone....Thank you so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Also, if anyone knows of any grants or aid to take additional advanced skin care classes, please let me know what schools in the Tri State Area offer it. What courses do you recommend I take on top of just my basic Esthetics training?

sunnydee1 in Endicott, New York

65 months ago

My daughter is considering going to Aesthetic Science Institute in Syracuse, NY has anyone attended there and if so what are your thoughts? We live in the upstate New york area so NYC would be out. What about financing such an endeavor? The only financing they use is Salle Mae for a loan how have others financed ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I used Sallie Mae to finance a loan for school in NYC and have not been able to find work as a recent graduate. I would be hesitant about financing it through them because there are no postponed or lowered payments after graduation if you can not find work.. To be honest I wish I had gone to a school that did offer aid. Definitely research a lot before you start so you know you're getting your moneys worth. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.