Average starting salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 418)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Ginger123 in Tempe, Arizona

80 months ago

I'm a teacher and earn 43k after 7 years in the profession. Can soemone tell me what I'm looking at starting at during my first year in esthetics. I will be takig medical esthetics this June, and hope to be done by December. What are my job prospects? :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (386) / No (61) Reply - Report abuse

ginger in Phoenix, Arizona

80 months ago

Good idea, I'll see if they will supply me with their previous students' info! One more question, how bad is the esthetics industry getting hit with the economy worsening? Do you see less people coming in to get services? I am so determined on starting school in June, but I do think I am going to struggle even more with this economy I'm starting out in. It scares me, having a mortgage and bills ahhhh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Tia in Audubon, New Jersey

80 months ago

I didn't have a great experience in the skin care field...it seemed like once I had a full book, I sort of capped on my income and it didn't increase--I made an average of about $11-12/hr when it's all said and done. Also, working the evenings and weekends got old and in this industry you have to put in the hours. Now that I'm older, I am no longer in the field and find that life is much easier to work a normal daytime, fulltime job with my eve/weekends off and I'm making more money. I spend my money, occasionally, on going to the spa and treating myself and it's great. My passion for the industry is still there and I'll always have it, but for now I have bills to pay and a life to live on my weekends!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

carla in Phoenix, Arizona

80 months ago

I worked always in an office and making okay money however, I always think that doing walk you like is always better. my passion has been in the beauty industry. I think you can make very good money if you know how to manage you business. I know it will require some evening and weekends however it is all worth it. I am looking into starting my business and I am really exited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Kelli in Rockwall, Texas

80 months ago

I am also wondering the same things. I'm thinking about going to Northern Lazer Institute in Scottsdale for 2 weeks for lazer tech cert. but I live in Dallas so would put alot of cash out for flight and hotel for 2 weeks. My esthetics friend was telling me I have to be a licensed esthetician before I could ever use my lazer after attending school for 10K? Does anyone know if this is right? I had my nail tech license about 10 years ago but let it expire since I hate, hate hated it!!!!I'm so confused. Glad this website is here by the way...thx.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Bedminster, New Jersey

80 months ago

Whoever is trying to go for an esthetics license for a job, forget it! I'm a massage therapist & a licensed esthetician. It is extrememly difficult to make a decent living from it.

Once, I worked at a high end day spa. I worked my butt off doing 10 massages/facials in a day sometimes. Only to feel at the end of the day exhausted & starved. I made 35% of the sale plus tips, which wasn't too bad. But doing it 5-6 days a week, which was killler on my body.

On the other side, I've worked at a holistic yoga center where I was an independent contractor. I made barely any money but, I had the freedom to make my own schedule.

Most of the time, spa/salon owners don't want to "hire" you because it's cheaper for them to contract you out. Basically, they call you when someone wants a session. Needless to say, your a slave. You never no when your going to work, or make money or have benefits. Some weeks you'll have 10 sessions. Then, next week you'll only have three sessions. The income is so unpredictable. I couldn't live like that. I usually range of $300 weekly, if I was lucky. Massage therapy & ethetics is not the field you go into to get rich!! Hopefully, you have an additional income to supplement.

best wishes! & remember, now that gas prices are skyrocketed people are cutting back on "pampering" spending.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Puyallup, Washington

80 months ago

Kelli in Rockwall, Texas said: I am also wondering the same things. I'm thinking about going to Northern Lazer Institute in Scottsdale for 2 weeks for lazer tech cert. but I live in Dallas so would put alot of cash out for flight and hotel for 2 weeks. My esthetics friend was telling me I have to be a licensed esthetician before I could ever use my lazer after attending school for 10K? Does anyone know if this is right? I had my nail tech license about 10 years ago but let it expire since I hate, hate hated it!!!!I'm so confused. Glad this website is here by the way...thx.

That laser school is abso;utely unnessecary! I work for an well known laser company. They taught me everything I needed to know for free. One of my co-workers actually went to the laser school in Scottsdale AND still had to go back to school for her esthetics license after that. Basically her laser certification was absolutely worthless to her. That school is a lucrative business owned by an attorney. Dont get tricked. You'll regret I promise. Just get your esthetics license and you'll be good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ginger in Tempe, Arizona

80 months ago

Thanks for your concern, but there are two laser schools in Scottsdale, which one are you talking about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ks in Seattle, Washington

79 months ago

I am actually getting my esthetics license in seattle then am moving to Scottsdale and would like to get my laser certificate. The place in Puyallup you got trained on the job? I figured some places would do that and wondered if somewhere in Scottsdale would do that as well. To work in a medi spa do I need to go to an advanced school or have people found that those too can be not worth the money?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

andrea in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

I am a massage therapist and just became a licenced esthetican. I really thought this industry would be booming (like my teacher informed me :(
One of my classmates is working for Ulta and working as a waitress just to make ends meet. I am so dissapointed in both fields as far as income, hours and business flow. I am looking into going back to college as a Sonograph tech and get out of this up & down flow of income and demanding hours.
It's hell on the body, and I just can't see myself keeping up this pace for 10 years or more. Alot of my co-workers feel the same way, so most of us end up going back to school for a degree and just make massage/esthetics a side occupation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

julie in Matthews, North Carolina

79 months ago

I work in a spa and perform waxing and facials. I make 40% commision plus tips. It end up being anywhere from 40-70 dollars an hour depending on the price of the service. I think you make more in a spa than a medical setting. I work ony five 6 hour shifts a week. It is awesome. Even if I am not fully booked I still make enough money. Brazilian waxing is where the money is. I make 40 dollars in a half hour doing these. I get plenty of facials as well. You can make a ton of money if you find the right place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (80) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TJJC in Fort Worth, Texas

78 months ago

Tiffany-- which spa in Southlake do you work at? I live close to there and am looking for a new esthetican. Do you do waxing too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Audrey in Mesa, Arizona

78 months ago

GG in Phoenix, Arizona said: Oh I see, I am attending Academy of Aesthetics Arts & Science. In Tempe. Looking forward to it. Someone told me I should eventually take a laser class. That I would be more profitable with that certificate. I will have to look into it. Thanks for the reply.

GG
I'm attending the same school starting on July 28th! How do you like it so far? I'm also looking into getting laser certified after i graduate. The national laser institute is amazing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nancy in salisbury nc in Gastonia, North Carolina

78 months ago

julie in Matthews, North Carolina said: I work in a spa and perform waxing and facials. I make 40% commision plus tips. It end up being anywhere from 40-70 dollars an hour depending on the price of the service. I think you make more in a spa than a medical setting. I work ony five 6 hour shifts a week. It is awesome. Even if I am not fully booked I still make enough money. Brazilian waxing is where the money is. I make 40 dollars in a half hour doing these. I get plenty of facials as well. You can make a ton of money if you find the right place.

I am so glad you commented! I am seriously looking into starting esthetician training this fall thinking that the job prospects here are pretty good or so I have been told but after reading all the above comments from around the country I started second guessing myself.A friend of mine here who is a massage therapist said her practice gets calls every week for someone looking for esthetician services and there is virtually nobody doing it.Of course I live in a relatively small Southern town as well.Glad to know you are doing so well here in NC!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany

78 months ago

TJJC in Fort Worth, Texas said: Tiffany-- which spa in Southlake do you work at? I live close to there and am looking for a new esthetican. Do you do waxing too?

Hello,

I am A esthetician starting out and wondering if anyone knows of any jobs available in the fort worth or mid cities area? Or any great places you have heard of. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany

78 months ago

TJJC in Fort Worth, Texas said: Tiffany-- which spa in Southlake do you work at? I live close to there and am looking for a new esthetican. Do you do waxing too?

TJJC Can you please contact me at tiffany05bell@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Misti-Master Esthetician since 2004 in Anniston, Alabama

78 months ago

I have just read all of your entries. I have been in the beauty industry for about eight years. I have had my Esthetician license since 2004. My experience with this industry has been that my teacher also misinformed me. I was told that I could make all this money, make my own schedule, and eventually own my own business if I wanted. Money- what money? I work over 40 hours a week,work every weekend, no insurance, no retirement, no benefits of any sort. By the way, majority of estheticians are paid on commission (meaning if you are not working, you are not getting any money). In the beginning, I just assumed it would take some time to build a clientele and it does. I have found that all these years later, I still make nothing. No one tells you about the expense of the equipment and buying your own products, high and frequent chiropractor visits from all the twisting and bending your doing),and your schedule is based on what your client wants.

To Ginger123 from Tempe,AZ- you really need to do more research. Our standards and rules are formed by our State Board of Cosmetology. I received my 2008 rule book from my state board and laser is no longer allowed for estheticians to perform. They have taken away so much that all we are able to do are facials, microdermabrasion, and waxing. I, too, had considered going into the medical field. I found out that you only work when needed. If you think you can pay a mortgage by doing this for a living, forget it. You will make barely enough to get by on. Just enough to put gas in your vehicle to get to work. Today, clients are going further in between visits to save $$$. They are soooo hard to get them to understand the importance of skincare. They just want you to give them free advice and tell them what they can buy from their local department store or grocery store for CHEAP. They are not concerned about ingredients. They want their cleansers to foam and their products to smell good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Fort Worth, Texas

78 months ago

I Def. Do not agree with some things that were said. Not ALL estheticians make crappy money. I wouldn't discourage anyone from this profession. Yes, renting your own room does have it's downfalls. That is why I chose to work at a spa and make AMAZING money. I've been in the field about 2 years and make about $57,000 a year. I am paid hourly + %30 on products and services, + tips. Full benefits, paid vacation, all insurances,personal days, paid overtime. Being here is very relaxing. I would suggest anyone living in the dallas, fort worth area to this profession. We have hundreds of opportunities here. Also, in texas as A esthetician we are licensed to be a makeup artist as well, and lashes, not just facials, microderm, and waxing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Misti in Anniston, Alabama

78 months ago

It's great that you can make good money in Texas. You are the first esthetician I have ever heard of who gets paid hourly and has benefits. Every esthetician I have met gets paid by commission. We do not rent a space. We are paid commission and we must supply our own products and equipment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

That is just terrible. Myself and many of the others I graduated with are making the same. All of the positions I have seen here, either we are paid 40-50% commission on products and services + tips, or we are paid hourly + commission + tips, or salary +comm. + tips. When we work for an employer, I have never heard of anyone having to supply products and equipment unless they were renting a space.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Tiffany in Fort Worth, Texas said: That is just terrible. Myself and many of the others I graduated with are making the same. All of the positions I have seen here, either we are paid 40-50% commission on products and services + tips, or we are paid hourly + commission + tips, or salary +comm. + tips. When we work for an employer, I have never heard of anyone having to supply products and equipment unless they were renting a space.

I know. Its terrible. Unfortunately, many business do not understand what an esthetician does or what it is. It is so good to speak with someone who is doing well. I checked some stats for your area. There must be a great demand for your services, because your area actually rank higher than the national average. I was wandering what service does best for you? Facials? Brows? Thank you for your response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Tiffany in Fort Worth, Texas said: That is just terrible. Myself and many of the others I graduated with are making the same. All of the positions I have seen here, either we are paid 40-50% commission on products and services + tips, or we are paid hourly + commission + tips, or salary +comm. + tips. When we work for an employer, I have never heard of anyone having to supply products and equipment unless they were renting a space.

I have lots of questions for you. If you would be interested in sharing e-mails, let me know. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

In my area, depending on the spa we can charge anywhere from $60 to $175 for a facial. So for an hour facial.. That is still good commission. Waxing is fast money too. Thats $20 for a 15 min eyebrow. More for bigger areas of the body. For myself personally facials are where I get my biggest tips. I'm good at waxing and makeup, but my clients give generous tips for the facial itself.
You can email me at Missdanielle687@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

julie in Matthews, North Carolina said: I work in a spa and perform waxing and facials. I make 40% commision plus tips. It end up being anywhere from 40-70 dollars an hour depending on the price of the service. I think you make more in a spa than a medical setting. I work ony five 6 hour shifts a week. It is awesome. Even if I am not fully booked I still make enough money. Brazilian waxing is where the money is. I make 40 dollars in a half hour doing these. I get plenty of facials as well. You can make a ton of money if you find the right place.

Hi, my name is Michelle. I live in San Antonio, Texas. I have been in Education for ten years and I am sick and tired of the politics. I am seriously considering going into this field. You sound positive and excited about it. Do you think this is something that would be a good change?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

michelle in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

I have been teaching for ten years and am completely tired of the politics. I want something that has no stress. I love skin care, teaching people to feel better about themselves. Some of the entries I am reading sound very positive and hopeful, and some do not. I need some honest advice about his field. Is it worth it? Can you make a decent living?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lProThera in Bakersfield, California

78 months ago

Very few make enough to support themselves for one reason or another. If you have either someone else who is the main breadwinner, and you are subsidized, OR a second job, it will be less stressful to build your clientele. It does take both time, money, and additional education after you are licesed to become competent/confident make a profit. Some are very lucky to fall into a great situation from the get-go, but it does happen.

lpt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

nas11 in Bloomington, Indiana

78 months ago

Are there ANY estheticians out there making really good money????????????????????????!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laney in Hendersonville, North Carolina

78 months ago

Wow, that is amazing! I am just now looking into schools - I am near Asheville, NC. I was trying to finds a school for aesthetics, but the community college here is all I could find. It offers Esthetics. Do you know what the difference is? ALso, did you ever work at a meical office? Thanks for any input you may have!

Erika in Dallas, Texas

78 months ago

I am a newly licensed esthetician in Ft Worth, Texas desperately looking for a job. I have put out over 30 resumes in Ft Worth and Arlington. Its simply that no one is hiring. I am visiting spas and salons, introducing myself and leaving my resume. I also call the next week to follow up. This is not working! Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to find a job? Its been 90 days since I got my license and I really need a job. I am outgoing and confident and know if I can just get an interview I can get the job! Help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Katy in Bothell, Washington

77 months ago

ks in Seattle, Washington said: I am actually getting my esthetics license in seattle then am moving to Scottsdale and would like to get my laser certificate. The place in Puyallup you got trained on the job? I figured some places would do that and wondered if somewhere in Scottsdale would do that as well. To work in a medi spa do I need to go to an advanced school or have people found that those too can be not worth the money?

KS!!

I was just starting to research Seattle area for Esthetic Schools. May I ask where you went and ANY feedback???? I keep going back between Aveda and Euro. THANK YOU!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kaitlin in Apopka, Florida

77 months ago

Hi, I am graduating from FL college of Natural Health in a month. Does anyone know of anyone hiring in the Winter Park, Maitland FL area?? I am a struggling single mom trying to make it in life! I'd really appreciate any advice about starting off, how much do you usually make starting off? Thanks alot!
Kaitlin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Honolulu, Hawaii

76 months ago

I am a licensed massage therapist, and looking into starting esthetics training. So far in my 4 years of massage work I have had great experiences in the industry. You MUST have a passion for the work, otherwise you will not last. It takes a lot of energy, and you MUST MUST MUST take care of your own body. Eat well, stretch, exercise, and be aware of your body mechanics. I believe it is the same for estheticians. Anyways, for anyone looking to get into the industry, I definitely recommend it if you have a passion to help people and to make them feel great, and feel great about themselves! I work at a spa and make great money! Yes, it is on-call so some days I do not have work, but I have another part-time job that I enjoy that provides extra income to fill-in when it is slow. I make an average of $40-$45 per massage (50 minute massage). And the schools for estheticians here are 600 hours and only cost around $5,000!!!! I guess I will be getting a great deal doing my training while I am living here in Hawaii! Aloha : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

76 months ago

Hi there. I am an Accountant currently and looking to start up schooling and a possible career in Esthetics. I needed a change! By reading all the comments, it seems it's a very difficult field to start up in and make any decent money. I know I wouldn't make what I do now starting out but I still need to meet my mortgage and other bills. I see all the comments from others are from Texas mainly but is anyone out there from Wisconsin or surrounding areas that can offer some advice? I'm going to speak to someone at a local school TODAY about the opportunities and starting up a program. Any advice would be appreciated from anyone out there. THANKS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

melissa in Danville, Virginia

76 months ago

nancy in salisbury nc in Gastonia, North Carolina said: I am so glad you commented! I am seriously looking into starting esthetician training this fall thinking that the job prospects here are pretty good or so I have been told but after reading all the above comments from around the country I started second guessing myself.A friend of mine here who is a massage therapist said her practice gets calls every week for someone looking for esthetician services and there is virtually nobody doing it.Of course I live in a relatively small Southern town as well.Glad to know you are doing so well here in NC!

Nancy, what school are you planning on attending in the fall? Is it in Gastonia, because i am planning on going to a school in NC in the fall also. I'm extremely excited about it and am glad to see that there are plenty of others who share that passion with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Lewiston, Idaho

76 months ago

Hi Ginger, and anyone else on here. I have read several of your comments and am a little perplexed at what everyone is saying about salaries and such for Aestheticians. I think it is the Best Profession because we are helping other people feel better about themselves. I've been in the business for 26 years and make an average of around $160,000.00 per year. One of my best months was $33,000.00 just for the month. Your income potential is up to you and how you conduct your business. There is nothing wrong with starting out working at a Spa, or Salon, for $10.00 per hour, so that you can see how things work, but there are other ways to "Boost" you into the spotlight, and Create your own Reality. The way you conduct yourself and your services you offer is going to determine who is comming to you, and how much you are in demand. I also consult with other Aestheticians at their practices, to improve and increase their businesses, and have worked in Europe and other places also, besides the US. Don't be discouraged, the $$ is endless, depending on what you want. The other thing about Paramedical Aesthetics is the Lazer operating rules are different for everystate. Most states allow the Aesthetician to use the Lazers in the Dr.'s office. They are now changing some of the laws, so that Aestheticians will be the ones to do these treatments, but in office nurses will not. They have to have their Aesthetician License. Anyone, feel free to contact me at: Jam858@hotmail.com with questions. Please use Subject: Aesthetics I can help on the lazer training questions also. Thanks Karen Fee

Ginger123 in Tempe, Arizona said: I'm a teacher and earn 43k after 7 years in the profession. Can soemone tell me what I'm looking at starting at during my first year in esthetics. I will be takig medical esthetics this June, and hope to be done by December. What are my job prospects? :)

e

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Lewiston, Idaho

76 months ago

Hi, please read my post, I offer business consulting services if you need help. Your in a great area in Elk Grove, which is really growing. You can e-mail me at: Jam858@hotmail.com Thanks Karen

esthetician in Elk Grove, California said: Please advise me how to advertise my skincare business, to get more clients. I put up my ad, so expensive, but barely had 1 or 2 replying for it. Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Lewiston, Idaho

76 months ago

Hi again, I am reading more of these comments and I find it really sad. If you are not making the kind of money you want, but you are busy 8 hours a day, then its time to look at what you offer, and increase with different services that bring in more money or simple things like change of atmosphere and surroundings that make people want to come in. If you need further training in New Treatment Areas, I can help with that also. Please contact me with any questions to: Jam858@hotmail.com please use Subject: Aesthetics Thanks, Karen

Ginger123 in Tempe, Arizona said: I'm a teacher and earn 43k after 7 years in the profession. Can soemone tell me what I'm looking at starting at during my first year in esthetics. I will be takig medical esthetics this June, and hope to be done by December. What are my job prospects? :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Lewiston, Idaho

76 months ago

Hi Amy, I see all the frustration from these posted comments of you all. I wouldn't speak to anyone in the schools in your area, I would go directly to the businesses and ask them, what kind of response they get from clients wanting Aesthetic services, and do they have full time Aestheticians..... See how hard it is to get an appointment yourself. If you are booked a couple weeks out, you know they are busy. You will still need to go through the process of getting your license like everyone else, and then get a year or so of experience under your belt, before you can really get going. Check out E-bay in the future for my Aesthetics Consulting Services, if you need to help start a business of your own. Good Luck!!! Its a Great Business!! Karen

Amy in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Hi there. I am an Accountant currently and looking to start up schooling and a possible career in Esthetics. I needed a change! By reading all the comments, it seems it's a very difficult field to start up in and make any decent money. I know I wouldn't make what I do now starting out but I still need to meet my mortgage and other bills. I see all the comments from others are from Texas mainly but is anyone out there from Wisconsin or surrounding areas that can offer some advice? I'm going to speak to someone at a local school TODAY about the opportunities and starting up a program. Any advice would be appreciated from anyone out there. THANKS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Carie in East Chatham, New York

76 months ago

I just got a second interview at a great spa. I have to give the owner a facial, being that I am right out of school, and they said they normally don't hire Estheticians right out of school, I'm nervous. Can anyone try and tell me the do's and don't of a second interview? It would be helpful since I really want this Job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

christine G in New Liskeard, Ontario

76 months ago

i am currently working my butt off at a spa salon, making 10$ / hr, i dont know if that is faitr money for an esthetician. the students are getting paid 9 $ and i spennt all this money in school to get paid 10$ plus by the time they take taxes off the paycheck it is a very low income. i wonder what i can do to raise that. thinking of opening up my own business next year, may be the best way to go..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anna Truong in Seattle, Washington

76 months ago

I've just got my WA license of esthetician and wondering if anyone knows of any jobs available in Seattle,WA?I'm got well trained from Gary Manuel Aveda Institute.Or any great places you have heard of. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

K Smith in Kirkland, Washington

76 months ago

Anna Truong in Seattle, Washington said: I've just got my WA license of esthetician and wondering if anyone knows of any jobs available in Seattle,WA?I'm got well trained from Gary Manuel Aveda Institute.Or any great places you have heard of. Thank you!

Hi Anna!

I had the Aveda Salon on my list of school for our area. What did you think of the program? I already took the tour and liked what I saw. Please keep me updated with how your job search goes. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary Cardiff in Grants Pass, Oregon

76 months ago

My daughter is looking into the IMAj institute in Scottsdale Arizona. It's quite spendy but it includes laser skin treatments. Does anyone have any feedback with their own experiences at that school and success in getting employment that warrants the expense of school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Denise in Greensboro, North Carolina

76 months ago

I'm looking to get my Aesthetician License...I was told there were not any good schools in NC. I heard that the state of Georgia had good schools with great programs. Can someone recommend any top schools in the ATL area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AmyG in Norcross, Georgia

75 months ago

Denise in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I'm looking to get my Aesthetician License...I was told there were not any good schools in NC. I heard that the state of Georgia had good schools with great programs. Can someone recommend any top schools in the ATL area.

I graduated from the top school in Georgia, Atlanta Institute of Aesthetics, in February; took exams and got my state license in mid July. Due to the economy, I, and many classmates, are having a very hard time finding a job in the field. I have only found about 5 spas/med spas hiring. Most med spas want prior experience, so you usually have to start out in a regular spa. I do know of many licensed Estheticians who are making great money. Like ANY field in today's economy, there aren't many jobs open, and so many people are applying. It's a tough market in a tough economy. I have 14 years experience of medical office administration and can't find any jobs open in that field either. Atlanta has the highest unemployment rate in the USA, I just saw that on the internet a couple weeks ago.
Needless to say, if I don't land a job as an Esthetician by next Summer when my lease ends, I will be moving out of state. Everyone keep in mind the economy is extremely weak right now. I know I will succeed as an Esthetician eventually. It's all about YOU, how bad you want it, and of course like many have commented, WHERE you work. Keep striving. Have Faith.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki W in Greenville, North Carolina

75 months ago

Where did you go to school? I have been looking and trying to do some research on National Laser Institute, but I'm not sure what to think right now. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

nancy in salisbury nc in Gastonia, North Carolina said: I am so glad you commented! I am seriously looking into starting esthetician training this fall thinking that the job prospects here are pretty good or so I have been told but after reading all the above comments from around the country I started second guessing myself.A friend of mine here who is a massage therapist said her practice gets calls every week for someone looking for esthetician services and there is virtually nobody doing it.Of course I live in a relatively small Southern town as well.Glad to know you are doing so well here in NC!

Heve you started your classes yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Laney in Hendersonville, North Carolina said: Wow, that is amazing! I am just now looking into schools - I am near Asheville, NC. I was trying to finds a school for aesthetics, but the community college here is all I could find. It offers Esthetics. Do you know what the difference is? ALso, did you ever work at a meical office? Thanks for any input you may have!

Where did you attend school? I am looking into this industry and a little confused on where to start. Any suggestions?

Karen in Lewiston, Idaho

75 months ago

Hi, thanks for the e-mail. I do not offer "classes" for teaching Esthetics, but a consulting program for increasing your business after you are already a licenses Esthetician. There are many people that want to venture out on their own and run there own businesses that need guidance from someone with experience.

I do not know where to tell you to go to school in your area, just check out the different programs, and choose one that you are comfortable with. You will need to get this underway just to get started and get that license out of the way, then you can proceed further with all the different avenues you can go into. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

beccailg in Honolulu, Hawaii

74 months ago

Kind of rude that comment telling that girl she needs to learn how to spell before she goes to school to study skin care. You should check your references before you try to insult someone like that...or maybe not be so nasty to begin with.

BOTH spellings are correct. The spelling "esthetician" without the "a" is more common, however here is what is says in the dictionary....

aesthetician
One entry found.

Main Entry: aes·the·ti·cian
Variant(s): also es·the·ti·cian \?es-th?-?ti-sh?n\
Function: noun
Date: 1829
1 : a specialist in aesthetics
2 : cosmetologist

You go to school girl and do your thing! Don't let anyone put you down : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.