Average starting salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (401 to 417 of 417)
Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9   

NaraCookies in Miami, Florida

30 months ago

Sarah in Sacramento, California said: Negativity? Re-read the comment. I am trying to be realistic and help this person with true information. I've been in the business for over 25 years, worked all over the world, taught, lectured, developed products and make well over 6 figures in this business, and you want to tell me to not give someone real help with this business. I believe I told her exactly what to do and how to proceed to be able to work in this field. I believe I was telling her exactly how it would be for someone over 50, just starting out, no experience and looking for the same jobs 20 to 30 year olds are looking for. Will someone else step in who has years of experience and are in the age group of 50's to 60's and tell this woman how the business goes. How about you Anne Martin, tell her the truth and give her some direction on starting out at her age. I believe the woman I wrote the reply to actually thanked me if I recall. Caddy in Seattle, go talk to Anne if you don't believe women with experience in this business.

So true I am pretty young and I have heard people "the bosses" say that they want to display a young image. Beauty is associated with youth in this society so they hire young. That's why a lot of the time the front desk girls are all like college age, it's done on purpose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Medical Aesthetician in Dermatology in Tampa, Florida

30 months ago

Lynn L in Chandler, Arizona said: Stay tending bar - there's no money in the beauty business these days!

Some of you may think that we are jocking, but seriously consider another career this is not worth it at all!!!!Thank God my husband can support me, otherwise I will be homeless:-( Me personally I am going back to school for Nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

caddygirl in Seattle, Washington said: Hey Sarah, why don't you stifle some of that negativity your passing around? Gees!

Caddygirl? I think you live in lalaland is not negativity is "welcome to the real world baby"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Sarah in Sacramento, California said: Negativity? Re-read the comment. I am trying to be realistic and help this person with true information. I've been in the business for over 25 years, worked all over the world, taught, lectured, developed products and make well over 6 figures in this business, and you want to tell me to not give someone real help with this business. I believe I told her exactly what to do and how to proceed to be able to work in this field. I believe I was telling her exactly how it would be for someone over 50, just starting out, no experience and looking for the same jobs 20 to 30 year olds are looking for. Will someone else step in who has years of experience and are in the age group of 50's to 60's and tell this woman how the business goes. How about you Anne Martin, tell her the truth and give her some direction on starting out at her age. I believe the woman I wrote the reply to actually thanked me if I recall. Caddy in Seattle, go talk to Anne if you don't believe women with experience in this business.

I am with you 100%!!!Also in the top of the issues the practice or salon owner's wants you to be a marketing savvy, so they pressure you to make the most sales in skin care products that you can not matter of the patient real needs.It is really frustraiting!!!!

spa owner in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

caddygirl in Seattle, Washington said: Hey Sarah, why don't you stifle some of that negativity your passing around? Gees!

I agree with you! she's so nasty! theres a difference between putting someone down and telling them the truth!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

spa owner in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

Medical Aesthetician in Dermatology in Tampa, Florida said: Caddygirl? I think you live in lalaland is not negativity is "welcome to the real world baby"

lalaland? VERY mature!

Shereedavis01 in Lancaster, California

27 months ago

skyqueen in El Cajon, California said: Hello. I appreciate reading all of your comments. Like several of the gals on this board, I am an educator and am burned out with the overwhelming stress and politics of the job. 31 years of this has finally gotten to me! I am going to look into Bellus Academy in Poway, California. This is in San Diego. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this school or had experience with it? I plan on doing the evening program so I can continue teaching until retirement 5 years down the road. But I want to be ready to start a part time job that I will LOVE, hence, the research starts now. Does anyone know how the job market is for aesthetics here in SD? I plan on looking into other schools in my area. Anyone know about other institutes that offer a quality program? I don't want to waste my hard earned money. I want a school where I will really LEARN all about skin and skincare. Thanks for any help or advice. Good luck to all of you looking for jobs. I really wish

Hi there, I just got my Esthetician license at Western Beauty Institute in Lancaster Ca. But I'm interested in furthering my education and get the Master Esthetician License. I know it's 600 more hours but what does it cost? Please help.

Laser Trained Esty in Roswell, Georgia

27 months ago

MEG in Aurora, Illinois said: I have been a stay-at-hom mom for almost 11 years and am seriously thinking of starting esthetician school but am a bit nervous after reading more negatives than positives regarding this career. I am not the bread-winner in my family, but I would like to supplement my husbands salary. I have two younger kids. Is this a decent career to have with younger kids? Once I graduate is it possible to start off working at a salon or spa during the day while they are at school or will I have to work mostly nights and weekends? Any input would be appreciated since I have to make a decision soon.

As far as the career for mother of young kids, keep in mind that Saturday work is usually a must in any salon/spa(perhaps not medical office),so your husband will be the one to take care of the kids on Saturdays. My husband took mine to many birthday parties, gymnastics classes, ice-skating lessons,team practice, etc. Also, after getting home dead tired at 7:30pm Saturday after a full day from 9am, all I wanted to do on Sunday was relax & enjoy a nice family breakfast together, NOT jump up & rush to get kids ready to go out to Sunday school/church. When we did go, the 'weekend with family' was almost over by Sunday afternoon. I loved what I did 23 years, but this weekend situation I had to 'include'.

Ancient Wisdom in Council Bluffs, Iowa

24 months ago

Tiffany in Fort Worth, Texas said: Wow! I do not know why you guys are not making good money. Maybe it is because I live in the Dallas, Fort worth area and there is huge amounts of opportunities here. I graduated from the Shelton Ogle school of hair, skin and nails. In the past year working for my spa in Southlake, Texas. I have made $57,000 in the past year. I am very excited that I found a place that pays very, very well for a Esthetician who was just starting out. So it can happen! I get paid hourly+ 30% com. On the products I sell, and make excellent tips. So keep your heads up! it is possible to do very well just starting out. also, $20,000 Sounds INSANE for a 6 month course, even if you are laser certified and get a microderm. machine. Microderm machines are A few thousand for a good one. Okay, granted..I paid $7500 for a full skin care kit, textbooks, smock, makeup kit, 750 hours of instruction, job placement assistance, microderm certification, and makeup and waxing certification. So basically you are paying $13,500 for your laser certification and microderm machine. I think you are getting screwed for that. Laser certification is maybe $1,000-$3,000. Good luck to all of you. If there is anyone who would like to talk with a fellow esthetician I would love to hear from you! email me at Missdanielle687@yahoo.com

It's ALL about attitude = success my friend! You have the RIGHT attitude. :-)

Ancient Wisdom in Council Bluffs, Iowa

24 months ago

carla in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hi, Ginger the price 20k looks about right, unless you already have a cosmetology license you do not need to take the estheticians courses because you already learned skin care. I am looking into taking advance classes and looking forward to obtaining laser technician certification. So far, it looks; as it is going to cost me between 6000 to 8200. I need to look into this. Hope this helps.

Lack thinking like you're projecting creates EXACTLY that! Learn to be positive and WATCH how life IS what you are thinking and feeling. Good news is that you can IMMEDIATELY start improving your life by improving your attitude and feelings. It's all a choice and then life follows your thoughts.

src@spabizboard in Carmichael, California

24 months ago

The few days of skin care training included in a cosmetology program is not even close to enough to be successful in esthetics. Maybe it worked a decade or so ago, but not these days. Not in a million years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

src@spabizboard in Carmichael, California

24 months ago

Shereedavis01 in Lancaster, California said: Hi there, I just got my Esthetician license at Western Beauty Institute in Lancaster Ca. But I'm interested in furthering my education and get the Master Esthetician License. I know it's 600 more hours but what does it cost? Please help.

Only a couple of states in the USA have a "Master Esthetician" license and California is NOT one of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LaurenAS in Salt Lake City, Utah

13 months ago

Hi all!

I am interested in getting certified so I can do waxing.

I live in Los Angeles and just wanted to ask people who live and work in LA if the market is good there.

I'm also looking into options for where I could work once I'm done with my education. Do you guys have any suggestions for good places to work in Los Angeles when you're a newbie?

Thanks!

Skin guru in Anonymous Proxy

11 months ago

Don't do it, you will never make it. It's impossible to earn a decent income as an Aesthetician.

MedEstyForYrs in Dallas, Texas

8 months ago

Very difficult to get without at least two years experience.

Brkdavino in Walpole, Massachusetts

6 months ago

Hi I know how difficult it can be to make it as an esthetician. I own an unfranchise business and help those in the field build a residual income by working for themselves. I'm looking to expand my team and would love to hear from anyone interested!

Cheryl Harper Lovett in Fayetteville, Georgia

4 months ago

Me in Puyallup, Washington said: That laser school is abso;utely unnessecary! I work for an well known laser company. They taught me everything I needed to know for free. One of my co-workers actually went to the laser school in Scottsdale AND still had to go back to school for her esthetics license after that. Basically her laser certification was absolutely worthless to her. That school is a lucrative business owned by an attorney . Dont get tricked. You'll regret I promise. Just get your esthetics license and you'll be good.

Very interesting, I would love to find something like that, where they teach u as u go....how do I go about finding that kind of employment....need help.......?? I also have no clue what the price would be to get the license you talked about,,,,,they never want to talk money.......I just want to know if I can afford to do this,,,,,any ideas,,,,,and thank you so much.....email is......cherish818@yahoo.com

Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.