Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 340)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most esthetician opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Williamston, Michigan

89 months ago

according to my hair dresser, things are slowing down in the industry due to the current state of the economy. The best place for a job is probably in a more affluent part of the country. The more money they have, the more likely they will spend money on services like facials, waxes, peds and manicures. I have worked in a salon, and the majority of the women and men who receive estetician services are upper middle class and higher. A place like Scottsdale, Arizona, L.A California, Miami, Florida, Chicago, are all great places. A lot of them have high end clients as well. Oprah gets her facials from a women in Chicago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in San Diego in Chula Vista, California

89 months ago

There are too many people in the beauty industry. Most don't last more than a few years. I've been licensed for about six years now and I love what I do but stable jobs are few and far between.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Schibi in Kansas City, Missouri

89 months ago

according to my esthetician, she says it was a struggle for at least the first year. She did say after you build up a client base you can make decent money, but she wishes she got into cutting hair!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tina in Ontario, California

88 months ago

i think 10-20% is too low...
but i dont kno about ur state..
i get 50% in here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy

87 months ago

Are there any jobs in toledo OH, I just graduated and hoping to find something decent. Probably taking state boards in august. If someone knows plaese let me know. a.s.a.p. thanks and goodluck everyone!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Candace in Lincoln, California

85 months ago

Michelle in Oak Park, Michigan said: Oh, great just what I wanted to hear! I am currently an esthetician and just starting my career. It's really hard to find jobs in the Detroit area. Everybody is going for the same job! But I do have a question...what type to start pay for a new salon & spa should an esthetician start off with? I went on an interview and she had the hair stylists all set up, but not familiar w/esthetics part of it...and neither am I. Is it a certain flat rate pay, then 10-20% in comm.? Please someone give some insight on this info asap. It's greatly appreciated!

If you aren't renting your room then you either get hourly or comm. I say its better to go with comm. usually its one or the other, not both. I would say no less than 40%. better to go w/ more 50% but all depends on what the cost of living there is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kizzy in New York, New York

84 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most esthetician opportunities?

I just started working for a place in Brooklyn and in New York everything is very seasonal so The summer is very slow so I am hoping ht e fall is better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tiffany in Birmingham, Michigan

84 months ago

Michelle in Oak Park, Michigan said: Oh, great just what I wanted to hear! I am currently an esthetician and just starting my career. It's really hard to find jobs in the Detroit area. Everybody is going for the same job! But I do have a question...what type to start pay for a new salon & spa should an esthetician start off with? I went on an interview and she had the hair stylists all set up, but not familiar w/esthetics part of it...and neither am I. Is it a certain flat rate pay, then 10-20% in comm.? Please someone give some insight on this info asap. It's greatly appreciated!

michelle i personally would not start off with less than 50% commission. and they are responsible to supply you product, advertise for the salon and i wouldn't recommend doing anykind of product charge. salon owners are trying to be clever to find new ways to off set product costs. don't fall for it.

i don't think it is wise to work for someone who is not familiar with your work (esthetics). a lot of salon owners saw other places adding treatment rooms and they got the idea to do the same. it takes a lot of money and determination and talent to build a solid clientele base. i graduated 3 years ago and have had to move 4 times because my work suffered at the hands of the salon owner because they don't know enough about our work and they tend to be too cheap. they are all about profit, but you need a good set up to feel comfortable and work smoothly.

please be very picky who you work for. find someone that can contribute to your career and not drain it. i hope this helps you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kellie in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

I am about to start looking for my first job as an esthetician. I was wondering what the best route would be? I know everyone's preferences are different, but I'd like to get some opinions and here some personal stories. (maybe some advice might prevent me from making a mistake)
Here are some questions I have..
Medical-Spa or Day Spa? Hourly or commission? Can you ever get both? What about health benefits or just benefits in general? Do most estheticians get private insurance? What services make the most money? I know waxing is big. I am assuming it is better to get a job at a place that's been in business for awhile and has an established clientle rather that go somewhere that is relatively new? What specific questions should I ask in the interview? Oh, god I could go on and on.
Thanks for your help, guys!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Emma, Illinois in San Diego, California

84 months ago

Great forum! I wanted to ask what the price/payments for the Esthetician course are. I know they vary depending on the area but here in Ilinois it seems so high. Im interested in taking the course and would like to know any info from Estheticians out there such as benefits,jobs after graduation etc. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kizzy in New York, New York

84 months ago

I paid $7000 for the 600 hour New YOrk Staate licensing program. I am going back for advance esthetican Program another 600 hours including the London ITEC examination is $5400 more. I want ot do this that way I can be license at States that requiererd 1200 hours. Howevedr, I am in New York I can make my money back just on tips on a typical Saturday I can make over $300 dollars I can average over $1000 per week but I just got started so it is also a slow time of the year in the city. I think it was worth it. However,
Landing the right job is crucial and not that easy.

Good LUCK!

Emma, Illinois in San Diego, California said: Great forum! I wanted to ask what the price/payments for the Esthetician course are. I know they vary depending on the area but here in Ilinois it seems so high. Im interested in taking the course and would like to know any info from Estheticians out there such as benefits,jobs after graduation etc. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amanda harmon in Salt Lake City, Utah

84 months ago

i have found it easy and difficult to find work. i went to school,in utah which means i have 1200 hours. thats a plus. i am also an instructor... the result of not being able to find anything suitable. so i taught. i actually really loved that and am glad for the experience. i have been working in the medical spa arena for a little over a year and enjoy it. it has its ups and downs. i would recommend getting familiar with all areas of eshtetics. that way it will be that much easier to find work. in a med spa the average pay is hourly + commision, in a spa its just commision for the most part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenn in Mocksville, North Carolina

83 months ago

I was a little more curious about your medical spa experience - what type of facility are you in? what does your job consist of there? what further knowledge/experience did you have to gain to work there?

THanks so much!!

amanda harmon in Salt Lake City, Utah said: i have found it easy and difficult to find work. i went to school,in utah which means i have 1200 hours. thats a plus. i am also an instructor... the result of not being able to find anything suitable. so i taught. i actually really loved that and am glad for the experience. i have been working in the medical spa arena for a little over a year and enjoy it. it has its ups and downs. i would recommend getting familiar with all areas of eshtetics. that way it will be that much easier to find work. in a med spa the average pay is hourly + commision, in a spa its just commision for the most part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kym in South Jordan, Utah

83 months ago

amanda harmon in Salt Lake City, Utah said: i have found it easy and difficult to find work. i went to school,in utah which means i have 1200 hours. thats a plus. i am also an instructor... the result of not being able to find anything suitable. so i taught. i actually really loved that and am glad for the experience. i have been working in the medical spa arena for a little over a year and enjoy it. it has its ups and downs. i would recommend getting familiar with all areas of eshtetics. that way it will be that much easier to find work. in a med spa the average pay is hourly + commision, in a spa its just commision for the most part.

Hi Amanda, I live in SLC and am interested in going to school for esthetics. I've checked into a couple schools already. Where do you teach at? Any recommendations on schools? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda in College Station, Texas

83 months ago

I own a facial spa that is very busy and if anyone in the College Station, Texas area is looking for a job, please contact me through www.facelogicspa.com. I pay hourly, plus commission...I have also worked in the industry off and on for 18 years. I'm easy to work for and want all of my employees to be happy. It' very hard to me to find Estheticians with good work ethics. I love the industry and I want employees that love it as much as I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Canton, Michigan

83 months ago

I am a retired medical secretary looking for a new career. I liked the medical profession so would probably like working at a medical spa. Anyone in Detroit/Ann Arbor Michigan area who can tell me if the market is good and also how much time goes into becoming an esthetician? How does it pay hourly also? Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Mission, Kansas

83 months ago

I have a job offer from a dermatologist which is why I am looking at going to school. She is going to pay me $10-$11 an hour, plus 10% commission on services and products. Also, benefits are offered. Is this a good deal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathon B in Castleberry, Alabama

83 months ago

I'm currently in school to become an esthetician in FL, but the difference in hours between there and other states is pretty high.. any advice? If I decide to apprentice under someone in alabama to meet the difference in hours.. do they have to be a licensed Esthetician in AL? or can I apprentice under anyone with a Master Cosmetology license? so many questions! lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Selina in Clinton Township, Michigan

83 months ago

Nancy,
In the Detroit area we must have 400 -600 hours. From my understanding the starting pay is $40K. I will complete my course in March 2008 and I have already meet with several medical spas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Selina, Where in the Detroit metro area did you attend school and how much did it cost? Would you recommend this school? It's really great to be able to ask someone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Ann Arbor, Michigan

83 months ago

I went to the Douglas J. Aveda institute in Ann Arbor Michigan-600 hours. It was a very intense course- but highly repected when you come to a resume and state boards were a breeze.
I have a medical background- I really think you have to be very picky- I worked for a Dermatologist for a short time- he was very out dated and and unsanitary. I then went to a salon/spa- they offered 60% commission- no clientle, not a very spa like atmosphere, charged me for wax, and all supplies and did not know one thing about being esthetician.

I am determined still- I am looking for a spa only setting- but the big jobs are in the bigger cities- where there is money to be spent.

Selina in Clinton Township, Michigan

83 months ago

I live east so I'm at a local school. I would not recommend this school just because I don't think they are very organized. The teaching is very good. The instructor is very knowledgeable about the industry. The cost is $4000.00.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Regarding The Douglas J. Aveda Institute in Ann Arbor, Michigan - can you please tell me what it costs for the 600 hours? Also, if I went full time, how long would it take to finish? And do they take students part time?

83 months ago

Nancy in Canton, Michigan said: Regarding The Douglas J. Aveda Institute in Ann Arbor, Michigan - can you please tell me what it costs for the 600 hours? Also, if I went full time, how long would it take to finish? And do they take students part time?

Nancy- I believe the cost was around 6,000.00 they take part time evening students. Day students are 6 months T-Sat 9-4:30.:00 Evening students M-F 5-10pm
If it is a theory day- you get two 15 min breaks and one 1/2 hour for lunch, when you get on the floor- if you are busy, you sometimes work through( although it is not legal). The time does go by quickly, because you are so busy. I have a family and it was a difficult transition. So is my having a job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

What exactly do you get trained to do. Facials, waxing, and makeup? Do they train you for chemical peals?

83 months ago

OK everyone honest opinions now: I am 55 years old and want to start a second career. Would my age hold me back from getting hired? (I am in good shape, swim twice a week, and walk a mile every day, and I am friendly and hard-working.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Donna K in Albuquerque, New Mexico

83 months ago

I am almost in your same shoes so I would be interested in any comments you may get.
My email is Dlkirbynm@comcast.net if anyone can give any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Nancy in Canton, Michigan said: What exactly do you get trained to do. Facials, waxing, and makeup? Do they train you for chemical peals?

Nancy-

The teach the Aveda way- all hands on with Auervydic principals. There is a very limited area of teaching of machines and makeup. They prepare you for facials/body/treatments and waxing....I wasn't prepared for the lack of teaching in make-up and all of the machine attachments. They dun't teach chemical peels etc. I am currently looking for seminars- extenion classes- I have done Microderms and Chemical peels, I really want to train in Laser.

So if anyone knows of a good place to get certifications, continueing ed. I would be very interested to know about any. I have seen seminars offered- usually out of state and very costly- if they weren't very long up to 10 days at a time- it would be a good fit for me.

83 months ago

Nancy in Canton, Michigan said: OK everyone honest opinions now: I am 55 years old and want to start a second career. Would my age hold me back from getting hired? (I am in good shape, swim twice a week, and walk a mile every day, and I am friendly and hard-working.)

Nancy-

I finished school just this past January- I am 42. I actually think that being a little more mature helps in some ways. Quite frankly, we already know what we want to be when we grow up. We also have had work experience, I don't think age factors in as much as you might think. Knowledge and trust with clients are the defining marks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Mission, Kansas

83 months ago

Hello! Nobody has replied yet, but I have been doing my own research around different dermatology offices and asking their estheticians. Almost everyone I have spoken with has said that this is a good place to start, especially since she is going to train me on lasers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Would you mind telling me which school you attended? Also, is it feasable to work part-time as an esthetician?

Heather in Farmington, Michigan

83 months ago

Nancy in Canton, Michigan said: Would you mind telling me which school you attended? Also, is it feasable to work part-time as an esthetician?

I just recently started thinking about changing my career to this as well. I have been researching Michigan College of Beauty, in Troy. They have other locations as well. Michigan requires 400 hours. This is really the only school that I have requested info from, but I too would be interested in contacting others to see which would be the best for me. So any suggestions on other schools in Michigan would be helpful.

83 months ago

Can anyone tell my what is the best and worst thing about being an esthetician?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donna K in Albuquerque, New Mexico

83 months ago

I'd love to hear an answer to this one myself. I'm going tomorrow to sit in on a class here in Albuquerque to see how that is before I decide on going to the school or not.

Jayna in Kent, Washington

82 months ago

Hi there!! I just started going to school. It is called the Euro Institute of Skin Care. This is the best school ever!!! If you are okay with moving out of state for your education, then I highly recommend going to the Euro Institute of Skin Care. Is is in renton, Washington about 20 min from Seattle. It is a all natural Holistic school where we use all organic products and herbs for skin care. We also work on real clients because it is a school but people can make appointments and get a service for cheaper than the normal price because we are students. We also get tips!!! I havent started taking clients yet because i have only been in school there for 3 months now but they also offer a full time that takes 6 months and then there is a part time that takes 14 months. After you graduate you then take your state exam and you get your lisence. you should look this great school up online. It was the best choice of my life!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Valerie in Austin, Texas

82 months ago

Nancy in Canton, Michigan said: OK everyone honest opinions now: I am 55 years old and want to start a second career. Would my age hold me back from getting hired? (I am in good shape, swim twice a week, and walk a mile every day, and I am friendly and hard-working.)

Hi Nancy! I am 46 years old and would appreciate it if you get any feed back to forward it to me... :) I am in the same situation. Thanks! Val valsplacetx@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Nancy in Canton, Michigan said: Can anyone tell my what is the best and worst thing about being an esthetician?

i certainly can. The best part is the money, the worst part is the long hours, all the stress on your body and most of all waxing vaginas!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anna d rinehart in Killeen, Texas

82 months ago

So many aestheticians just starting out think they should earn so mcuh more money than they are paid. If, aesthetician wants to have a great opprtunity to earn well, remain competive, and continue to grow in this industry then it will take more than aestheticians license. Aestheticians must seek conferences that offer more than a product/equipmet sales. Look for your education in medical aesthetics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Quincy, Massachusetts

82 months ago

I just graduated high school last may and I am now attending Catherine Hinds Institute of Esthetics. I highly recommend this school. It is located in Woburn, MA you can go and take a tour around the school and they can answer any questions you may have. Goodluck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amber P in Layton, Utah

82 months ago

anna d rinehart in Killeen, Texas said: So many aestheticians just starting out think they should earn so mcuh more money than they are paid. If, aesthetician wants to have a great opprtunity to earn well, remain competive, and continue to grow in this industry then it will take more than aestheticians license. Aestheticians must seek conferences that offer more than a product/equipmet sales. Look for your education in medical aesthetics.

Hi, I'm about to start school to start a career in Master Aesthetics. I was wondering if you know of some web sites that list nationwide conferences that you mentioned. Thank you for your tip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

anna d rinehart in Corpus Christi, Texas

82 months ago

The conference that would facilitate your educational growth and promote better aesthetics oppotunity with the medical health industry is " Medical Aesthetics FACE Conference in Corpus Christi, Texas.
The conference promotes the physician, nurse and aesthetician partnerships. You must be licensed to enter these kinds of "hands-On" medical aesthetics conference.

Cindy Williams in Indianapolis, Indiana

81 months ago

Love this forum. Just now in process of researching schools. This will be a career change for me. Valuable info is sometimes hard to find.

Donna in Albuquerque, New Mexico

81 months ago

I'm thinking of doing this as a career change as well. It's still hard to gather information like pay, schooling, etc. If you don't mind, I sure would appreciate any information that you may get. I've posted in here but haven't had anyone respond yet.
Good luck to you
Donna

Regina in Aliso Viejo, California

81 months ago

Looking into taking the esthetics cousre here in Ca. Wondering how hard is it to find work? And what kind of income will I be looking at in the years to come?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Esthetician in Schaumburg, Illinois

81 months ago

Hey all you Cali (California) Esthetician Girls, Ladies, or woman, I am an Esthetician in the CHicagoland area and the cost of living has gone up here, we need to be paid more so that we could live it up independantly like Kate Sommersville, she's HOT$$ and all the famous esthetician Facalists, Can you help us? that would be "COLD". We learn from the best!! Are you having a Rainy Day? Burr, it's cold here we need to make more money for our lifestyle atmosphere!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mai Le in San Jose, California

81 months ago

I dont know about where you live, but California, for non experience aesthetician commision is 30% + tip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SKILLED AESTI in Owatonna, Minnesota

80 months ago

Marissa in Portsmouth, Rhode Island said: I think I am interested in becoming an esthetician, though i do not know for sure what it is i want to do. I am a senior in high school and looking for a good school to go to after i graduate. I have been looking at Aveda Institue and Paul Mitchell but I still am not sure if i want to go to a four year college. If i could get some advice as to what being an esthetician is like, and how much money they make would be great. I am nervous because i have no idea at all what to do. Help, Please!

Make sure to look at all of the schools. This is a 600 hour course and what expectation do you have with that. College degrees with Esti are a good combination. I would take the Esti course, then start college, then take a part time job working in a salon just for the experience. Even if you have to answer the phone to learn. Remember only 4 months is how long it takes to get an Esti License. Check the teachers credentials and talk to her. Its fun, you learn alot and you will be licensed by the state. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mara in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

I went to an Aveda school for my esthetician's license and had the hardest time finding work. It has been two and a half years and I still haven't found anything. I am going to a different school to get my cosmetology license, I hope it will increase my job prospects.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Evans in Spartanburg, South Carolina

80 months ago

I will be attending the Schueler School in Spartanburg SC. I would love some feedback on the program at the school from a graduate and the job market in S"partanburg/Greenville.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.