Can a Medical Esthetician inject Botox in Pennsylvania?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 71)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

73 months ago

Natalie in Newtown, Pennsylvania said: I'm starting school to become a medical esthetician. My goal is to work in a plastic surgeon's office. Can an esthetician legally inject Botox in Pennsylvania? There are training courses offered, but one can not assume that it means it's legal. I can't find any info online. Can anyone help? It's really confusing with the different laws in each state. Thank you!

You would have to contact the medical board of your state. However, to the best of my knowledge, no individual with an esthetician's license can perform injections in any state. That said, there can be cases where an individual holds more than one license, such as an esthetician/RN, PA or even physician and is working in a state which allows these to perform injections.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rdsjs10@aol.com in Smithville, Missouri

61 months ago

akurtz in Saint Joseph, Missouri said: No you can not. The only two states you can inject in would be Missouri and Kansas. Any other state you must be a RN or above.

akurtz, where would I find the information about an esthetician injecting Botox in Missouri? I do have a medical director at my spa. Thanks for the info!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

esthie in Springfield, Missouri

61 months ago

rdsjs10@aol.com in Smithville, Missouri said: akurtz, where would I find the information about an esthetician injecting Botox in Missouri? I do have a medical director at my spa. Thanks for the info!

Where did you find that it is legal for an esthetician to perform botox in missouri...I have never heard such a thing, but I would love it if that is TRUE!! thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lashes in Springfield, Missouri

59 months ago

Hey Esthie....where do you work in Springfield??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Springfield, Missouri

59 months ago

Natalie in Newtown, Pennsylvania said: I'm starting school to become a medical esthetician. My goal is to work in a plastic surgeon's office. Can an esthetician legally inject Botox in Pennsylvania? There are training courses offered, but one can not assume that it means it's legal. I can't find any info online. Can anyone help? It's really confusing with the different laws in each state. Thank you!

You cant inject in ANY state as an esthetican! Dont risk your license! If you are are RN and an esthetician you can inject but I think under that case you are typicaly working for a doctor and you would be under his license not yours. Its risky, I would advise you not to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bev in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

An esetheticin is NOT qualified to inject thank goodness. Leave it to health care providers who understand the anatomy of the face

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

bev in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Tarana in Sammamish, Washington said: If a will have a phlebotomist certificate, am I able to perform botox injection?I am licensed esthetician.

are u serious????????????????????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Layla in South Dakota

57 months ago

Can anyone advise me about working in the USA and using injectables?
I have a degree in the medical sciences (Physiologist would be a general description) and taught in medical school for 7 years. I did have my own clinic in Australia (performed laser treatments, injectables, micropigmentation). However I do not have an estheticians certificate nor am I am RN (though I taught them at University). Training as an RN would actually be a backwards step for me but I am not sure if that would be required here????? any thoughts? THX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jaime in Raymore, Missouri

57 months ago

I am an Esthetican in the state of Missouri and I know you can use a Lancet to help assist on clogged areas but you can't even do permanent makeup without a tatoo license but different then a tatoo license as in decorating the skin, but defide by the board which apperatises you use.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Faceit! in Nipomo, California

56 months ago

bev in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: An esetheticin is NOT qualified to inject thank goodness. Leave it to health care providers who understand the anatomy of the face

So as an esthetician we do not know the anatomy of the face? I guess that is why my clients asses are so shinny then huh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

urskingirl in Peoria, Arizona

54 months ago

bev in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania said: An esetheticin is NOT qualified to inject thank goodness. Leave it to health care providers who understand the anatomy of the face

I just started getting Botox and juvederm injections and Im an esthetician . I recieve my injections from a plastic surgeon .I would never allow an RN to inject me and even if it was legal for esthiticians , I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it . There is so many things that could go wrong , from being mixed incorrectly to injecting it incorrectly . My Dr. is amazing and has a huge following , due to his knowledge and integrity and ethics .
I think only Dr.s should be injecting . Ive seen results of Rn's doing injections , its a disgrace to the industry , they are doing it for one reason $$$$ , not concerned with the outcome or risks of improper use .
My friend works in the ER and said when they get patients in with complicaions from botox its 9 times out of 10 been injected by an RN ..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

msjodilynn in Sacramento, California

54 months ago

Phelbotomist draw not inject BIG difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lola in Thousand Oaks, California

54 months ago

urskingirl in Peoria, Arizona said: I just started getting Botox and juvederm injections and Im an esthetician . I recieve my injections from a plastic surgeon .I would never allow an RN to inject me and even if it was legal for esthiticians , I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it . There is so many things that could go wrong , from being mixed incorrectly to injecting it incorrectly . My Dr. is amazing and has a huge following , due to his knowledge and integrity and ethics .
I think only Dr.s should be injecting . Ive seen results of Rn's doing injections , its a disgrace to the industry , they are doing it for one reason $$$$ , not concerned with the outcome or risks of improper use .
My friend works in the ER and said when they get patients in with complicaions from botox its 9 times out of 10 been injected by an RN ..

You are so wrong if you think MD's do it for any other reason than $$$$. I know RN's that have way more experience and better clinical technique than some OB/GYN;s that all of the sudden decide to go into plastics. Anyone that does these procedures should be a caring, responsible professional weather it's an RN or MD. For your information, RN's are just as educated about the anatomy of the face as MD's. There are plenty of incompetent MD's out there practicing medicine, as RN's. You have to decide based on merit not title.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

skinisin in Kansas City, Missouri

53 months ago

You Really need to check with Pennsylvania's Board of Cosmetology & with the state's Medical Board. I believe you have to get a Paramedical License at the very least.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

esthie in Springfield, Missouri said: Where did you find that it is legal for an esthetician to perform botox in missouri...I have never heard such a thing, but I would love it if that is TRUE!! thanks!

Yes it is true. You have to get a Paramedical License, and be overseen by a doctor.

53 months ago

urskingirl in Peoria, Arizona said: I just started getting Botox and juvederm injections and Im an esthetician . I recieve my injections from a plastic surgeon .I would never allow an RN to inject me and even if it was legal for esthiticians , I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it . There is so many things that could go wrong , from being mixed incorrectly to injecting it incorrectly . My Dr. is amazing and has a huge following , due to his knowledge and integrity and ethics .

Do you know what an RN is? Registered Nurse. Not the same as an Esthetician. I know an RN that worked with a plastic surgeon for 20+ years then went off & started doing injections on her own. She is very successful. She is still in a medical setting but like I said, she is very successful. But that is because she has taken the time to aquire the needed training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

ob/gyn RN in Kansas City, Missouri

53 months ago

skinisin in Kansas City, Missouri said: Do you know what an RN is? Registered Nurse. Not the same as an Esthetician. I know an RN that worked with a plastic surgeon for 20+ years then went off & started doing injections on her own. She is very successful. She is still in a medical setting but like I said, she is very successful. But that is because she has taken the time to aquire the needed training.

I am looking to take some training classes for botox infections. I am a current RN and was wondering where your friend got her training from? Also does she have to practice under the license of a doctor now that she is doing it on her own?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

skinisin in Lees Summit, Missouri

53 months ago

ob/gyn RN in Kansas City, Missouri said: I am looking to take some training classes for botox infections. I am a current RN and was wondering where your friend got her training from? Also does she have to practice under the license of a doctor now that she is doing it on her own?

She works at a doctor's office. The doctor performs the more evasive procedures such as the surgeries. My friend (she is an RN) does the injections. She received her training from working with previous employer who was a plastic surgeon. Hope this helps. I know that you can get training by getting a paramedical license

Phile skin in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

msjodilynn in Sacramento, California said: Phelbotomist draw not inject BIG difference.

Phlebotomist do blood draws and give injections. Most likely your last flu shot or B12 shot was give by a Phlebotomist!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cardinalsfan88 in Mesa, Arizona

51 months ago

I am an RN living in Arizona and I can give you a list of Dr's who have been unethical in practice and can, sadly so, tell you of an incident where a Dr. performed liposuction and the young women died. I agree with ob/gyn RN, you need to look at more then just credentials. You need to look at experience as well. There are many Gynecologist's, Podiatrist's, etc. who are taking a weekend course in botox or some other "cosmetic" conference and then turning around and offering these procedures to their clients with absolutely no clinical training or experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sue in Seattle, Washington

51 months ago

you would have to become either a RN or a LPN/LVN depending what state you live in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

celtickimba@yahoo.com in San Diego, California

50 months ago

There are docs out there injecting incorrectly just as there are RN's doing it correctly. Do you think Dr's are not doing it for $$$$? One of my personal friends has had bad injections done by a reputable surgeon. She gets great results for LESS $$$$ from an RN. Recently she tried a dentist and ended up in ER. The nurse she goes to now refuses to do work she thinks will not look good. She is also doing injections all day long, Dr's are doing other treatments. She is really good at what she does and of all the people we have referred to her , they all say she is the BEST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

tnm in Boulder, Colorado

50 months ago

I work in an office that we do hair restoration procedures. We have not been open for very long. Does the office have to have a medical director? And also we use local anesthesia can a MA inject this or does it have to be administered by the physician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Clara

50 months ago

Faceit! in Nipomo, California said: So as an esthetician we do not know the anatomy of the face? I guess that is why my clients asses are so shinny then huh?

I guess it might be because the asses are above the shinny and are getting all of the sun! Sorry you are offended, but you still aren't qualified to inject.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Clara

50 months ago

skinisin in Lees Summit, Missouri said: She works at a doctor's office. The doctor performs the more evasive procedures such as the surgeries. My friend (she is an RN) does the injections. She received her training from working with previous employer who was a plastic surgeon. Hope this helps. I know that you can get training by getting a paramedical license

Okay, so she is working under a licensed physician, which makes it legal. She can't just go off on her own, put out her own med spa shingle and do botox.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SkinCare RN in Roswell, Georgia

50 months ago

Oh for Heavens Sake! I have injected over 2000 very satisfied clients.I have been properly trained with multiple trainings including supervised hands on. I learned the facial anatomy (which by the way -we do take anatomy in nursing school). I do not understand why doctor's were thrilled to let nurses give IM injections in the buttocks with narcotics, but now they have a problem with us giving these teeny little injections in the face. Most of my clients are nurses.....why do you think that is? Nurse have ALWAYS done most of the injections but now everyone is saying we are greedy because we are doing what we were trained to do. Give me a break!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

maddie in Wichita, Kansas

50 months ago

Clara said: Okay, so she is working under a licensed physician, which makes it legal. She can't just go off on her own, put out her own med spa shingle and do botox.

In Kansas, a nurse can do botox, dermal fillers, etc (injections) in a dentist office and have the dentist be her medical director.

Marine in Delray Beach, Florida

50 months ago

Buy anti-aging products and chemical peels. We also offer private labels.
Excellent products and great prices!!! Made in France.

anaisskincare.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NurseK

48 months ago

Lola in Thousand Oaks, California said: You are so wrong if you think MD's do it for any other reason than $$$$. I know RN's that have way more experience and better clinical technique than some OB/GYN;s that all of the sudden decide to go into plastics. Anyone that does these procedures should be a caring, responsible professional weather it's an RN or MD. For your information, RN's are just as educated about the anatomy of the face as MD's. There are plenty of incompetent MD's out there practicing medicine, as RN's. You have to decide based on merit not title.

I completely agree with you!! I am an RN and I feel like I provide the majority of the care to the patient and the MD comes to see them for 2 minutes! RN's are just as educated on the anatomy of the face and any other aspect of healthcare. I work nights in a hospital and if something goes wrong with a patient, I am the one responsible to assess the situation and then contact the MD, who then gives an order over the phone instead of coming in to see the patient! I don't see why an RN would be less compassionate then a MD. The way I see it the MD is more in it for the $$$ then the RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Albuquerque, New Mexico

48 months ago

Please do yourself a favor . . . get an education, a dictionary and your facts straight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Albuquerque, New Mexico

48 months ago

Please do yourself a favor . . . get an education, a dictionary and your facts straight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lilly in Arlington, Massachusetts

46 months ago

No you can't, Esthetician license allow you to perform treatment of Stratum Corneum - which is top layer of the skin and not bellow. You have to be a nurse for that or MD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca

45 months ago

First of all, it is Esthetician not esetheticin. Esthetician's know more about the aesthetics of the the face and the anatomy of the face than most RN's. We have worked in Plastic Surgery and Dermatology for ages. With the ability to understand the cosmetic and medical side of our industry most Esthetician's understand the art and science that goes into dermal fillers and botox. I believe becoming an injection specialist as an esthetician is something that needs to happen. I don't need to know about chicken pox to become a great injector. There should be plastic and cosmetic nursing classes available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

45 months ago

Rebecca said: First of all, it is Esthetician not esetheticin. Esthetician's know more about the aesthetics of the the face and the anatomy of the face than most RN's. We have worked in Plastic Surgery and Dermatology for ages. With the ability to understand the cosmetic and medical side of our industry most Esthetician's understand the art and science that goes into dermal fillers and botox. I believe becoming an injection specialist as an esthetician is something that needs to happen. I don't need to know about chicken pox to become a great injector. There should be plastic and cosmetic nursing classes available.

I'm sorry Rebecca, I don't see that happening. The predominant reason being that it would be beyond the scope and jurisdiction of the cosmetology board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sarah Kabalka in Albuquerque, New Mexico

44 months ago

This is a biased opinion and gross generalization to say that RNs are driven by money and that's why they do botox. I'm sure plastic surgeons don't think about money at all. They're in the field simply for the love of helping people look pretty right? No monetary incentive. The truth is many of the cosmetic surgery centers and medispas here use RNs to inject. If they don't I've never seen an MD reconstitute the botox. That is always done by a tech, MA, or RN. Truthfully, botox is not brain surgery. I've never seen someone land in the ER due to improper injections, although I have seen ptosis both by MDs and RNs. The truth is nurses tend to be very skilled with needles and that is half the battle with botox. Making sure you're in the right spot is easy. Knowing how much, medication diffusion, facial anatomy, and an excellent needle hand is what you need. None of these skills are exclusive to MDs. I have injected thousands of people and tend to produce less bruising than my PS counterpart. We both create similar results, and I am by no means a disgrace to the industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eliana in Kennesaw, Georgia

44 months ago

A colombian lady without esthetician license injected "something" on my lips to plump them, I develop a har scar tissue that deformed my lips. What can I do to report this lady? She is doing it to many many people and harm them forever unless I get a surgery. PLEASE HELP MY BOTTOM LIPS IS HANGING DOWN AND LOOS HORRIBLE!

Pam from Long Island in East Setauket, New York

43 months ago

[There should be no question about anyone other than a doctor to do the injections. I'm currently studying to become an esthetician and I plan to only do skin care and makeup. I would only recommend clients to not ever let anyone else but the doctors to inject. Unfortunately in this economy, people are looking for a cheap route
and are willing to take chances.

43 months ago

You are so right, I allowed a Colombian lady and she literally destroed my face, I have no idea what to do? And believe or not she continues to do the same thing to so many people. Any ideas what to do about this woman?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Eliana in Kennesaw, Georgia said: A colombian lady without esthetician license injected "something" on my lips to plump them, I develop a har scar tissue that deformed my lips. What can I do to report this lady? She is doing it to many many people and harm them forever unless I get a surgery. PLEASE HELP MY BOTTOM LIPS IS HANGING DOWN AND LOOS HORRIBLE!

I have the same Problem!!!!!I wonder what can we do now?

43 months ago

Why is everyone letting a "Columbian Lady" do the injections?? Who is she? No license,
and yet you guys are risking yourselves...... They're should be no questions about who
should do the injections DOCTORS!!!!! and ONLY doctors!
What did this "Columbian Lady" inject you with??? Did she @ least tell that? @ what charge?
Sorry your going thru discomforts, But Just saying, Its no one else's fault but your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

sorry, I just reposted my comments because I didn't think the first one went thru :(

Ingrid123 in Delray Beach, Florida

43 months ago

If you are looking for a great and inexpensive anti aging and skin correction skin care line check out ANAISskincare.com, they have skin peels, anti aging serums, stretchmarks remover, scars remover, tattoo remover, dermaroller, and great anti wrinkles creams, They uses very potent ingredients and the best new peptide and anti aging ingredients! 99% of their stuff is also VEGAN!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eliana in Acworth, Georgia

43 months ago

Ingrid123 in Delray Beach, Florida said: If you are looking for a great and inexpensive anti aging and skin correction skin care line check out ANAISskincare.com, they have skin peels, anti aging serums, stretchmarks remover, scars remover, tattoo remover, dermaroller, and great anti wrinkles creams, They uses very potent ingredients and the best new peptide and anti aging ingredients! 99% of their stuff is also VEGAN!!!!

I did the Pellevi and is great!

wow in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

Rebecca said: First of all, it is Esthetician not esetheticin. Esthetician's know more about the aesthetics of the the face and the anatomy of the face than most RN's. We have worked in Plastic Surgery and Dermatology for ages. With the ability to understand the cosmetic and medical side of our industry most Esthetician's understand the art and science that goes into dermal fillers and botox. I believe becoming an injection specialist as an esthetician is something that needs to happen. I don't need to know about chicken pox to become a great injector. There should be plastic and cosmetic nursing classes available.

I Totally, agree with You!! I am, a Licensed Master Clinical Esthetics /Instr. of Under-Grad & Advanced Technologies/Consulatant/ Specialty- Skins of Culture as well, as non-Skins of Culture, with over 25 years of expertise, and experience in this industry. Having in depth understanding of the skin, it's structure, function, diseases, disorders, and special esthetic procedures.
MY POINT: THE ONLY, HEADS UP THAT DOCTORS, AND RN'S, HAVE ON ESTHETICIANS, IS THAT, ONE OF THE PRE-REQUSITES IN THEIR COURSE OF STUDIES IS PHARMACOLOGY WHERE THEY LEARN ABOUT ADMINISTERING MEDICINES AND IV'S. THIS IS NOT, A BRAINER.. I'VE HAD SEVERAL MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS OVER THE YEARS AS STUDENTS, AND KNEW JUST AS MUCH IF NOT, MORE THEN THEM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SurgeryRN in Auburn, California

43 months ago

Pathetic....I guarantee that your friend has NEVER seen ONE case of a botox complication (whether it be from a Registered Nurse or an MD) let alone 10! It is uneducated, uninformed people like yourself that start these damaging rumors. Stop the ignorance and get your facts straight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Faceit in Bakersfield, California

43 months ago

Clara said: I guess it might be because the asses are above the shinny and are getting all of the sun! Sorry you are offended, but you still aren't qualified to inject.

Give me a break. Wow! A typo, I bet that was fun for you. I don't need your degrading superior comments to answer a simple question. I love nurses and the hard work they do. But it's not for me. I just don't want to go to nursing school to learn about "facial" injectables. Can't you just be civil and know that Estheticians for the most part are passionate about what we do. We want to help the face and not know how much lower the shin is compared to the ass. So please, stop being one.

beautimomma in Pleasant Hill, Missouri

42 months ago

I'm sure you've had an injection by an Rn in your lifetime. Would you allow a physician to give you an injection? Physicians are not trained to give shots...The Plastic surgeon builds confidence as he gives more and more injections just as the nurse would. Now what's the difference in having an RN or esthetician. The RN has been highly trained in anatomy and sterile technique, thus making them the better choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RN student in Salt Lake City, Utah

42 months ago

To Bev,
As a master esthetician myself, we know the full anatomy of the face and body! Those of us in two states who get 1200 hours in are highly educated on anatomy! Also as any responsible person in our field, we continuously educate ourselves on all of the latest products, proceedures, protocols, and knowledge of our field. Although I agree estheticians should not be aloud to perform Botox injections ( which I am getting a RN degree in conjunction with my master/medical esthetics license ) I do not think typing down to newbies in this profession to make yourself seem more educated is fair or called for. There is no such thing as a stupid question... Only stupid responses from ignorant people :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sarahK in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

42 months ago

SurgeryRN in Auburn, California said: Pathetic....I guarantee that your friend has NEVER seen ONE case of a Botox complication (whether it be from a Registered Nurse or an MD) let alone 10! It is uneducated, uninformed people like yourself that start these damaging rumors. Stop the ignorance and get your facts straight.

I completely agree! I have never seen anyone come through an ER, or had a patient end up in the ER after a Botox injection. I have heard the occasional story of hypochondriac patients coming back with generalized, non-specific, vague complaints that they somehow attribute to Botox but this can happen to anyone. This comment was made by somebody who is completely biased and uniformed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Simplejack in Los Angeles, California

41 months ago

Tarana in Sammamish, Washington said: If a will have a phlebotomist certificate, am I able to perform botox injection?I am licensed esthetician.

Hell to the no.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.