Can I catch herpes?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Just wondering in Asbury Park, New Jersey

32 months ago

Can i catch herpes while giving a facial? If someone has a crusted over lesion?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

krosaire in Galveston, Texas

32 months ago

Just wondering in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: Can i catch herpes while giving a facial? If someone has a crusted over lesion?
Thanks

yes. if there is breackage in any tissue of and are beeing treated and clinication whose hands are dry and cracked with fissureurs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

gracerileypublishing in Tampa, Florida

31 months ago

I would advise wearing gloves on all customers who have any open or broken lesions, acne or anything that looks suspicious. I also recommend wearing gloves while waxing too. Much of the hygiene and sanitation guides focus on protecting the client, as estheticians we need to protect ourselves too.

www.grace.rilyskincaretherapy.net
Esthetican & Author

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenny in London, United Kingdom

31 months ago

we have to wear protective face shield when suctioning herpes patients upper airways so it can be spread fairly easily. I work in icu

EducatedEsthetician in California

30 months ago

Yes - you can acquire herpes, potentially you can spread it to other clients as well. Herpes is contagious, and around 30% of people have the herpes virus. You need to use scrupulous sanitation procedures, because transmission of the virus is possible before a breakout is visible (i.e. before the blisters form.)

The herpes virus (and other viruses) can also survive the temperature of wax pots.

Best practices - wearing gloves, washing your hands, maintaining your SMA, frequent disinfecting, and never double dipping.

EE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Singlewithherpes in Fremont, California

28 months ago

According to Q & A list of HerpesFish.com, chances are little in this kind of cases. To protect yourself and other clients, you'd better wear gloves.

Ne-rei-da@hotmail.com in Valrico, Florida

28 months ago

You shouldn't be giving a facial at all unless the clients has taken an anti various medication to avoid spreading the virus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Grace Riley in Florida

13 months ago

EducatedEsthetician in California said: Yes - you can acquire herpes, potentially you can spread it to other clients as well. Herpes is contagious, and around 30% of people have the herpes virus. You need to use scrupulous sanitation procedures, because transmission of the virus is possible before a breakout is visible (i.e. before the blisters form.)

The herpes virus (and other viruses) can also survive the temperature of wax pots.

Best practices - wearing gloves, washing your hands, maintaining your SMA, frequent disinfecting, and never double dipping.

EE

I love that someone finally stated that "Herpes can survive the wax pot" and host of other communicable diseases! The wax pot is at the perfect breeding temperature to allow these nasty diesease to promulagate themselves...wax would have to be boiling to prevent these diseases and we all know that we aren't going to put boiling wax on someone. There too many estheticians double dipping with no regard to passing on these disease/viruses to the next client.

Grace Riley Esthetics
Author of Jump Start Your Esthetics Career

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Just AJ in Sun City, California

1 month ago

Just wondering in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: Can i catch herpes while giving a facial? If someone has a crusted over lesion?
Thanks

You should not be working on a client with a cold sore. This I learned while in school. You can politely ask them to return when the sore has healed and is gone. It's for their safety as well as yours. A cold sore can also be spread to other parts of their skin while you're working on them also to their eye. I would also suggest referring to it as a "cold sore" with your client and not "herpes" everyone knows what causes a cold sore and the word "herpes" has such a stigma that it can almost be insulting to your client. Just as someone with shingles. You wouldn't say "herpes zoster" even though it is and is also contagious if you come in contact with an outbreak. Just a little word of advice.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.