Dermaplaning

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 92 of 92)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

45 months ago

isabelcalleros@aol.com in Phoenix, Arizona said: Your Welcome. I always say that most of us over 50 have issues learning all the new social media tools available. It seems just when I have accomplished one task there is something new to learn. Just to let you know how ileterate I am with social media, i thought I was answering people on facebook and really I was sending them back to myself. It's a good thing I have aesthetics to fall back on. lol.

Just give us a jingle when your ready.
Isabel Calleros

Just to clearify, your invitation is for rubyskin in Missouri. I was just commenting on how gracious you are for offer it.

I certainly understand about social media and am right with you (I still rather just talk on the phone. LOL But this very old dog is still trying to learn new tricks.

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Zippy in West Hollywood, California

43 months ago

Dermaplane classes are held periodically @ BENEV Company in Mission Viejo, CA. They teach a unique method that utilizes 3 blade types and have them available for purchase.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

43 months ago

Zippy in West Hollywood, California said: Dermaplane classes are held periodically @ BENEV Company in Mission Viejo, CA. They teach a unique method that utilizes 3 blade types and have them available for purchase.

Tell me more about these three blade types. Can't find any info at their site.

Zippy in West Hollywood, California

43 months ago

I use the #10, #11 & #15 blades. All blades are surgical and I work with a #3 blade handle. I have been planing since 1989 and do not find it anything like shaving. When performed by a skilled practitioner - it will smooth shallow acne scarring, helps block the formation of AK's, increases product delivery and can provide a perfect canvas when a pt is receiving several filler or botox injections. When dealing with PIP this is also an option. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lpt in Bakersfield, California

43 months ago

Benev may teach it. La Roche-Posay may teach it. If California State Board gets wind you are doing it, you are at risk of losing your license. You should also check to see if your liability insurance covers this procedure should something go wrong. We had a RN slice a patient's ear when said patient sneezed during dermaplaning...

lpt

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

43 months ago

Zippy in West Hollywood, California said: I use the #10, #11 & #15 blades. All blades are surgical and I work with a #3 blade handle. I have been planing since 1989 and do not find it anything like shaving. When performed by a skilled practitioner - it will smooth shallow acne scarring, helps block the formation of AK's, increases product delivery and can provide a perfect canvas when a pt is receiving several filler or botox injections. When dealing with PIP this is also an option. Hope this helps

Although I use a #10, I prefer a #14 & #16.
I would like to hear more about your basis for stating that it is nothing like shaving.

Keri in Charlotte, North Carolina

43 months ago

I have found some great blades. Gateway Medical offers a high quality Swann Morton dermaplaning #14 blade. They come in carbon or stainless, very reasonable prices. Very happy with the blades. www.gatewaymed.com

CRS in Walnut Creek, California

43 months ago

Can aestheticians perform Dermaplaning or Epi-dermal Leveling in the states of California, Florida, Illinois or Colorado? I am a boothrenter and have all my certifications. Please HELP!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lpt in Bakersfield, California

43 months ago

CRS in Walnut Creek,

California : NO, you may not do dermaplaning/epidermal Leveling.

lpt

rubyskin in Missouri

43 months ago

Going even further than contacting your state board, you neeed to read the laws/regulations for that state. Law is a matter of interpretation, and if it is written properly it can be quite the opposite of what a staff member from state board tells you over the phone. If you don't feel comfortable interpreting the state board law yourself, hire an attorney to interpret it for you. It can be worth the time if you're not sure.

I have been through this experience with my state in Missouri. My state law was purposely written very vaguely for estheticians to perform a wide variety of services. However, when I contact the state board to ask about a particular service, they immediately say I can't perform it, when an attorney will say the opposite based on the law. Again, it is about the law and what the law states....not about what a staff member at the state board says.

rubyskin in Missouri

43 months ago

Isabel,
Thank you...I've been meaning to contact you. I had the best trip to Tempe in January, and training with you was part of it! I learned so much from our time together and will someday be sending out my employee to get certified with you.

Warm regards from a very chilly state here in Missouri!
Susan

june in Thompsons Station, Tennessee

42 months ago

isabelcalleros@aol.com in Phoenix, Arizona said: Thank you Jeff, I LOVE the number 14 blades for many reasons. In my research of blades I also found out the difference between the carbon steel and the stainless steel blades. I have found a place in the dermaplaning market for each. I have manufactures calling me about why we switched from a number 10 blade to a number 14. And yes, I love this subject too. Have a happy turkey day to all.

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the great info. on the #14 blades. Does this compant allow Aestheticians to purchase the baldes from them? Any info would be helpful!!!

josie in Gilbert, Arizona

42 months ago

I am looking to find a school or some sort of training facility for dermaplaning. So if anyone know of a place here in Phoenix or surrounding areas please point me to the right direction, will be greatly appreciated.

colleen in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

40 months ago

laser.chick_17 in Phoenix, Arizona said: I just started using the ESTEtx Dermaplaning Blades...... I love them, need I say more!!! I have used many blades in the past but have never used one quite like this one!! For any aestheticians out there you have to try this blade, it is amazing!! You don't have to worry about cross contamination with the disposable blades and the blades were designed to be easy to work with with rounded edges. I always had used a surgical blade in the past and you just don't have the same control as you do with the estestx blades. I was feeling like maybe I needed a refresher course since I never actually went through a training course when I first learned how to dermaplane and I loved the one ESTEtx had to offer!! The course was really easy to understand and very informative with a demonstrative video at the end. For anyone is the aesthetics field I would absolutely recommend at least trying these blades!! If anyone has any questions, I would love to help!!

I am interested in derm

colleen in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

40 months ago

I am interested in dermaplanning and live in nj, any advice as to where I can take a cert. class

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shauny Gonzales in Mesa, Arizona

40 months ago

FREE Dermaplaning Training Class in Schaumbug, IL Thursday May 12th. Please call us to register....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Albuquerque, New Mexico

38 months ago

Can anyone please tell me the difference in blade numbers, say the # 10 versus the # 14?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lourrainne in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

kat in Newport News, Virginia said: there is something called a Master Esthetician that includes laser certified and dermaplaning, microdermabrasions and a little more that I can't remember(class is 600hrs. The school that i know who offer it is called The Institute of health and Healing a private school in Newport News, VA.
I am relocating to miami, Fl and i been asking schools about the Master Esthetician and some haven't heard of it. So I believe it is the state and city you are in and what they have that is most common or avaiable. In miami I hear from one source for their students they get into a clinic and they teach them how to do the laser procedure and etc.. so another alternative.
JUST LOOK UP MASTER ESTHETICIAN it will explain it they are they one's who work in the clinics of dermatologist offices and other clinics.

In www.estheticiantraining.biz/ can found some info there are in florida in Complexions Clinical Skin Care
1355 N Courtenay Pkwy, Ste I
Merritt Island Florida 32953
three two one - two one two- nine zero one nine is the telephone number

hope that help

Be Bless

Lourrainne Rodriguez

Kristine in Yonkers, New York

35 months ago

colleen in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey said: I am interested in dermaplanning and live in nj, any advice as to where I can take a cert. class

Hi Colleen,
Were you able to find a class. I live in NY and would be interested in taking it as well.
Thanks!

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

35 months ago

colleen in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey said: I am interested in dermaplanning and live in nj, any advice as to where I can take a cert. class

I'm interested in why you want a certification class. Is it just for the certification?

If you had a choice to master dermapnaiing or have a certificate, which one would you choose?

tsherman2040

35 months ago

Shauny Gonzales in Mesa, Arizona said: FREE Dermaplaning Training Class in Schaumbug, IL Thursday May 12th. Please call us to register....

Hi, I am looking for a dermaplaning class in Illinois. Can anyone help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AZReam in Phoenix, Arizona

34 months ago

Michael in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Can anyone please tell me the difference in blade numbers, say the # 10 versus the # 14?

Very simply, blade numbers refer to the different shapes. You can see images of all the Swann-Morton Blades at www.azream.us

jamesmasonlv in Las Vegas, Nevada

32 months ago

I have no problem with the Estetx BLADE itself, but at the price, I think they're WAY out of line. I currently pay about $11.00 per box of #10 scalpels, presterilized. Yeah, it's true, I usually use two per treatment (but that's because I was always taught to have a very sharp blade). There is a bit of a learning curve. Currently, I'm learning to use a #20 blade (better, actually, and it just FEELS safer in the hand). Also, I recently got turned on to a #60 blade, which I'm beginning to like even more than the #20, they're just hard to find. Under no circumstances would I use a knife blade and blades; I always use an integrated, plastic scalpel. It costs more, but the flex, the sterility, and the weight all work better for me.

I have to agree with Jeff (I usually do), and ask why you want to get "certified." I'm also less polite than Jeff is, so I will say what he will not: Very often, "Certifications" are meaningless. They don't relieve you of liability, and they don't PROVE you have skills (do I really know anything about the NorthSouth Center for Advanced Esthetician Studies, and Fruit Stand?).

I would consider very carefully how I spend my money, and my time.

For the record, the only state offering a Master Esthetician licensure at this time is, I believe, Utah. Georgia had a Master Esthetician license for a time, but I believe they suspended it in 2008, and I don't know the current status.

I believe there was some confusion in earlier posts. . .the actual reference was for a "Medical Esthetician" certification program. Since almost nobody actually recognizes a "Clinical" or "Medical" Esthetician, and I'm not aware of any state that does; I'm not sure there's any actual value there. Accordingly, I'm not sure this is a good investment of your time and money, but, if you have more money and time than I do and want to pursue it, I say go and be well.

This is a very interesting topic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

colleen dibona in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

31 months ago

james, where doyou order these blades from? if you dont mind me asking

31 months ago

colleen dibona in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey said: james, where doyou order these blades from? if you dont mind me asking

@Colleen:

I order them from various places. A google search will show you a place to start. I can't find the website I used to order from, and don't remember it offhand. If I can find the ordering slip, I will add it in later.

Having said all the above, I will also say that you need to try a few different types of blades and knife arrangements. For me, Disposable is the best, and yet, I know people who will only use a steel knife handle and blades. Also, as I write this, I have abandoned the #60 blade and am back using a larger blade (I now use a #22 blade). However, I have #15s as well, it just depends on the facial topography of the client. OTOH, I've been doing this a while (inspired by my friend Tino Lerma, whose video you should definitely see on YouTube), so Your Mileage May Vary.

Good luck. Dermaplaning is not the ONLY technique available to us, but it is definitely one of the better tools in the Aesthetician's amamentarium.

31 months ago

Hi Colleen-

Try the following places. Although these are not the only places out there to purchase supplies, it will give you a great head start.

www.azream.com Owned by a man named Simon. Excellent customer service, super fast shipping and a all around amazing experience. Have done business with Simon for a long time. Great selection.

www.havels.com They sell only blades and scalpels. Have only ordered from them twice and had no problems.

www.amazon.com Search for 'surgical steel blades' all kinds of replies will show up. Be sure to check the feedback scores and prices are all over the place. You never know what you are going to get but I am pretty sure there are good sellers, you just don't want to go through a few rotten eggs to find them. Also beware of shipping. Some offer to good to be true prices and then when you look they want $10.00 shipping on one scalpel alone, double that if you want a box of blades also.

Hope this helps you find a place to start.

Happy dermaplaning! Be sure to post with your adventures or any questions.

Respectfully-

Michael

31 months ago

Colleen-

Make that www.azream.us.

My bad. The other link will get you there but it can be confusing.

Have a great weekend!

Respectfully-

Michael

31 months ago

I just wanted to share that Havel's is having a "sale" (I'm guessing) on #10 dispo scalpels for $3.65 a box (10), which I thought was a fantastic price. I loaded up on them. Even with their kind of high shipping, this is about half what I pay (OTOH, they ARE #10s, but I use them enough that it's worth it).

Thanks, Michael, for the tip.

Mary Derm in Raleigh, North Carolina

31 months ago

A website I have been using for #14 Dermaplaning blades is Gateway Medical. They have always been very pleasant and informative when it comes to explaining blade tips etc. I have bought the carbon and the stainless blades. Both worked great. Receive blades right after placing order. Happy to Share. www.gatewaymed.com

Mary

Plastiklady in Scottsdale, Arizona

31 months ago

Dermaplanes made for aestheticians can be found at

www.estetxus.com

The blades are curved on the end (safer) and are disposable.

Tanya L in Arlington, Virginia

28 months ago

I am DERMAPLANEtx user (2 years). I also received my certification from ESTEtx and it was very informative and thorough. I  LOVE this product. I have used many other blades and nothing compares to this product - I also do not have to be concerned with sterilizing the handle or other regulatory issues, since it is completely disposable and the tip of the blade allows for me to get around ears, noses, etc.
. I am never worried when the board is in my spa. The price is higher, but worth it.

Highly recommend!
Ask for Kendall – she has been so helpful.

Their website.
www. estetxus.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Birgitta in Scottsdale, Arizona

28 months ago

For those of you looking for training and education in dermaplaning, check out www.estetxus.com. I buy their disposable blades , which I love, and noticed that they offer an online training video.

faces by robin in Livonia, Michigan

27 months ago

I am a seasoned Medically trained Esthetician with over 18 years of hands-on experience. (By Medical Esthetician, I refer to the fact that I have spent the past 18 years offering skin care in plastic surgeon offices.) I consider myself to be highly advanced in dermaplaning. My dermaplaning sessions include shaping the brows, removal of facial hair over the entire face including the ears and neck. I have also removed cellular debris from the arms and hands, as needed. I dermaplane the nose area (not always for hair removal, but to surface oil) and I am also able to safely dermaplane acneic skin, as well.

Presently, I am seeking to team with a company or advanced medical esthetics training facility to teach Advanced Dermaplaning. If anyone is seeking someone with my skills, I would appreciate the information.

Aubrey in Highland Park, Illinois

27 months ago

margieruffino@gmail.com in College Station, Texas said: I attended the National Laser Institute in Scottsdale Arizona almost a year ago and have yet to find a "Laser Tech" position. I live in Texas and there is no law /certification required here. The Med Spas are taking it upon themselves (doctors, nurses, in house employees) to perform these potentially very dangerous laser procedures without being educated or trained. The average salary offered is $10/ hr if you are lucky enough to find a job opening....based on alot of my own job search and research,and comminicating with my former classmates. We have all come to the conclusion that CEO and owner, Mr. Silverman of NLI, is a liar with alot of empty promises of finding a job and making an incredible amount of money,and has a pocket full of approx. $12,000.00 of my hard earned money and 100's of others. That is why I found this site...desperately trying to discover something else pertaining to skincare that I can add to my resume thus far, I am a liscense cosmetologist (which include being a certified Esthtetician)which almost ALL Laser Tech. job opening require. I highly discourage taking the Laser course right now. Considering the economy and other facts I mentioned, people ARE NOT Nspending their money on laser treatments at this time. When I see advertisement offering 1/2 price for a laser procedure, that tells me alot. Good luck to you and I wish you luck!!!!

I completely agree with you. I too was 'scammed' by the national laser institute. Im working on getting a license as an Esthetician in Illinois. I hope everyone takes the above quote to heart. Laser therapy is not going to be done in a spa...period. In this economy, Dermaroller and cosmetic surgeons are using nurses and nursing assistants. Do not waste your money at National Laser Institute in Arizona. Become a licensed Esthetician and then add services, like IPL or dermaplaning as continuing education. Lots of scams out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gigi in Virginia Beach, Virginia

26 months ago

Jamesmasonlv...you stated: "For the record, the only state offering a Master Esthetician licensure at this time is, I believe, Utah. Georgia had a Master Esthetician license for a time, but I believe they suspended it in 2008, and I don't know the current status."

That is not correct. I have been a Licensed Master Esthetician in the Commonwealth of Virginia for 5 years. There are several dual-tier states...

26 months ago

Gigi:

Thank you for the updated information. As I indicated, I was not aware of the current status. Are you aware of any other states, other than Utah and Virginia that offer a dual-tier license, and can you tell me how Virginia's licensing varies from Utah? I appreciate it when I am brought abreast of recent changes.

rubyskin in Missouri

26 months ago

Hello All,
I am trying to get in contact with Isabel Calleros, who used to post messages on here. Does anyone know how to get ahold of her? I've sent an email, but no response. The phone numbers I have for her are disconnected, and her website is no longer up. Please help!
Thank you!

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

26 months ago

I'm told by the staff at ACADEMY OF AESTHETICS & SKIN SCIENCES that she is on a road trip and will be back Monday. Sorry, but linkin won't let me post the schools phone number.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

rubyskin in Missouri

26 months ago

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas said: I'm told by the staff at ACADEMY OF AESTHETICS & SKIN SCIENCES that she is on a road trip and will be back Monday. Sorry, but linkin won't let me post the schools phone number.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Jeff, I just emailed you at your aaea@earthlink.net. If that's not correct, could you please list a new address? Thanks.

Gretta in Phoenix, Arizona

7 months ago

Regarding National Laser Institute - I also agree. They do not keep promises but they sure will keep your money. It kills me to write that check every month that I took a loan out for. All of the other students I have talked to have not been able to find a job either.
If you are thinking about taking their classes, don't bother.

linda in Las Vegas, Nevada

5 months ago

How can I find out if dermaplaning is legal in the state of Nevada?

Kyra Locnikar in Scottsdale, Arizona

5 months ago

Audrey Penksa in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I'm very new to Aesthetics about to start school in July at the International Academy College of Aesthetics. From there i was thinking about going to the International Laser Institute to be laser certified as well. But nothing i have been reading up on has to do with dermaplaning and i heard you have to be an RN. Is this true?
Thanks everyone

Each state has different laws regarding dermaplaning.
In the state of Arizona, an aesthetician can dermaplane.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.