Difference between medical esthetician and others

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 350 of 619)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

Andrea in West Palm Beach, Florida

67 months ago

DogMama in Springfield, Virginia said: Greetings Tribe: Can anyone tell me if Virginia allows esthey's to provide mobile services? I am looking for the Reg Stat that addresses this - I would be sooooo grateful. Thanks bazillions

Great question! I was thinking the same thing…Does anyone knows if the State of Florida allows estheticians to provide mobile services? I would like to know more information about mobile services (license, cost equipment, tips, and experiences) Is it a good thing to do? I appreciate it!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BW34 in Spokane, Washington

67 months ago

jlynn4481 in Tacoma, Washington said: If I had it to do over, I would've done nursing first. Only so I could've worked a good paying job to help with the cost of going to school. There are far more nursing jobs than esthetician jobs.

Do you know if you have your nursing license and esthetician license with laser schooling are you allowed to have your own business performing laser treatments and botox injections?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anna D. Rinehart in Harker Heights, Texas

67 months ago

You must have a physician to have lasers/cosmetic fillers/botox performed in your skin care center. Although you have a nursing license as an LPN/RN , you are obligated legally to work under the auspices of a "physicians order" before performing any kind of medical care on a patient. Your nursing background helps to validate your clinical thinking but does not cover you to perform procedures that are regulated by the medical board of your state. Yes, you can have your own skin care practice with very strong clinical skin care procedures for your clients. A nurse-aesthetician double license does offer the client excellent skin care management.
Sincerely,
Anna D. Rinehart, Texas Facial Aesthetics Instructor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liana in Miami, Florida

67 months ago

Anna,
Do you know if you can perform laser treatment if you are a licenced aethetician, licensed electrologist, with a course that certifies you in laser at an accredited school in the state of FL. I am thinking of attending the Hollywood Institute of Beauty Careers which offers me the electrology (320 hrs) and laser (30 hrs) courses. I also took the medical aesthetics course with Dr. Fam but I just found out I still can not practice laser or open my own practice. Do you think I should pursue this path or should I just look into nursing which will cover the whole spectrum of things instead of spending so much money for each certification/license? I am a licensed aesthetician and a licensed medical assistant in FL.
Thanks in advance.
-Liana in FL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Dear Liana ( beautiful name! ),
You can perform procedures that is directly under the auspices of the physician. You should have all proper credentials such as licensed aesthetician, electrology certification/license, medical aesthetics ( from a licensed facial aesthetics instructor ), and all other certifications that are applicable for the procedures you perform. You have a great diversified medical and aesthetic background which includes your medical assistant license. Remember you cannot perform lasers without the physician orders and his/her direct care of the patient. Lasers are not difficult ; just scary for those that do not have proper training, certification and physicians orders. I think you would do well in continuing to bridge your specialized training with the Beauty School program(s). Education is never wasted if you just apply everything you learn with passion to succeed!
Sincerely,
Anna D. Rinehart, CIDESCO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

67 months ago

Dear Ms. Rinehart,
I noticed on your previous reply that you are an instructor, may I incquire as to where you teach? I am looking for a program in Texas and I am willing to relocate. Thank You.

AKline in Ellettsville, Indiana

67 months ago

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas said: There is no such thing as a CIDESCO License. Only your State can issue you a license. I really wish people would stop implying that CIDESCO will get you a license.

To work in a State after Cidesco you to its full potential you have to have:

A full Cosmetology License
plus a massage therapy license.

or

Esthetician's license
plus a nail tech license
plus a massage therapy license.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
You seem to have an impressive background. I am an RN and most recently downsized in pharmceutical sales.I am beginning an esthetics program here in Indiana in June and complete in Nov. Get licensure before end of the year. I hope to land a position in sales again, promoting skin care to dermatology/plastic surgeons etc. OR work hands on as a nurse/esthetician in an office. Any websites you suggest to possibly find out what jobs are out there. Any kind of information from you I would greatly appreciate.
Angie

67 months ago

deen said: So, are you suggested that I should go into the field of nursing instead of esthetics?

Are jobs hard to find? Do you think that I would be able to work as a medical esthetician with just a LPN?

Thanks for the help! It is very much appreciated!!

I would not mess with an LPN, go to an 2 year RN program. You can make a bit more $$ than an LPN.

jlynn4481 in Tacoma, Washington

67 months ago

In Washington state, you must have a doctor on site to be able to perform laser treatments. I think they only are required to do the initial consultations, and then a nurse or esthetician can perform the actual treatment. Not sure about injectables, I only know that you have to be a nurse to do them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I teach Medical Aesthetics FACE Conferences in association with physicians, surgeons, and varied medical aesthetic ( dual licensed ) instructors in Austin, Dallas, Corpus Christi , Houston and medical facilities thoughout the country. We actually set up training programs directly with physicians offices from A to Z ( business and procedures ).
Anna D. Rinehart/ instructor, nurse, aesthetician

67 months ago

Anna D. Rinehart in Harker Heights, Texas said: I teach Medical Aesthetics FACE Conferences in association with physicians, surgeons, and varied medical aesthetic ( dual licensed ) instructors in Austin, Dallas, Corpus Christi , Houston and medical facilities thoughout the country. We actually set up training programs directly with physicians offices from A to Z ( business and procedures ).

Thanks Anna for your reply. I noticed that you will get calls for physicians seeking esthicians? Do you ever get calls for the Indiana area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I do not have any physicians that have called me in your area seeking an aesthetician that has specialized training in varied medical aesthetics procedure(s). Sometimes we have an inquiry from physicians that want to know the best profile of an aesthetician for their office but not actually seeking someone referred from us in your immediate area. We are in the midst of a changing environment so aestheticians should explore many avenues to utlize their skills beyond medical spas. There are so many opportunities for the entrepreneurial spirit of a clinically trained aesthetician.
Sincerely,
Anna D. Rinehart

chefcookie1 in Torrance, California

67 months ago

In Los Angeles, if you are a licensed esthetician working at a medical spa (a spa that has a physician that oversees treatments or actually performs them or an RN does), you can technically call yourself a medical esthetician so it is often a loosely used term. Since you are under a physician's liablity, you can perform somewhat more invasive peels and microdermabrasions. You can then get your nursing credentials and license to move up to doing even more invasive treatments such as deep peels. Take every opportunity to learn more about these treatments at tradeshows or anywhere you can. A few years ago, the only place I found that actually trained in medical esthetics was in...Arizona or Colorado (forgot which one). Another route is to get your foot in the door at a dermatology practice (very competitive) and you can work your way up as you get your esthetic license and then eventually RN to do work with lasers and injectables as well. Medical esthetics is more of a progressive career that starts out just doing simple facials and as you get more experience you move up to doing more intense treatments. It is difficult to get a job as a new esthetician right out of school but if you keep the education going, it can pay off. At least in Los Angeles. Plus the perks are fabulous! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

nikkih901 in memphis, Tennessee

67 months ago

Hello All. I am so happy to find this website. I have made the decision to relocate to Atlanta, Ga. and I want to enroll in a school to become an Esthetician. I would like opinions on the best schools in Atlanta and as many people here, I am wanting to go all the way in this field. Meaning, I want to train on the "medical level" For starters, what is the highest level degree/license that can be received in this field? Are any Atlanta, GA. schools offering all options? Im just looking for positive guidance since I have found so much conflicting information. I would appreciate any and all responses to my post.

67 months ago

Anna D. Rinehart in Harker Heights, Texas said: I teach Medical Aesthetics FACE Conferences in association with physicians, surgeons, and varied medical aesthetic ( dual licensed ) instructors in Austin, Dallas, Corpus Christi , Houston and medical facilities thoughout the country. We actually set up training programs directly with physicians offices from A to Z ( business and procedures ).

Anna,
I was wondering how you going about teaching easthetics as you do? Also since I am already an RN, what if anything do I need to get "by law" to do injections, lasers etc? I guess I am wondering if it is mandated that you get certification or something along those lines. I know in nursing depending on what it is you have to be "certified". I know hands on training is the best way to learn. Just trying to figure out how to do what I want to do, the right way. I forgot to mention I am starting an esthetics program in a few weeks. Thanks for you input.

Angie

67 months ago

Dear Angie,
As a Registered nurse you know there are many rules you have to follow to teach any specialized skill to another "licensed" individual. In particular with your license it is necessary to have the specialized training yourself along with proper documentation stating whom instructed you and what was their title. You can teach fillers, lasers etc but this would be under the auspices of a physician even though you are a registered nurse. You could work for a major company and this would permit you some broader freedom but, again, your license as a registered nurse permits very little room for an entrepreneurial role . You desiring to become an aesthetician will be the best role/direction for you to continue to grow both financially and competively. As a nurse-aesthetician ( rather you are an RN or LPN ) does place you ahead of the class. No matter what anyone says to discourage you from going down this road...you will never regret your license as a " licensed skin care professional". I am able to teach independantly for several reasons but, most importantly ,I am a Licensed Facial Aesthetic Instructor, CIDESCO , and Licensed Aesthetician. I no longer practice nursing but at the same time I have addressed the medical society and nursing organization. I have garnered tremendous years of clinical practice both with physicians, surgeons, private practice and the busniess management has placed me in a very competive teaching role. I have trained every kind of physician, nurse and aesthetician through the years of educational programs. I love the difference one " expert skin care professional" can make in anothers life!!!!

Samantha B in Nashua, New Hampshire

67 months ago

Hi Heather,
I know you made this comment awile ago I am curious to see did you end up going into the field? What school, did you like it? Are you working in a medical setting now? I am currently in the same situation you were. I am looking in school in NH and MA but I want to make sure I'm choosing the right school and program so I can potentially go into medical esthetics.
Thanks!

JBG in Vallejo, Ca

67 months ago

I just graduated from Miss Marty's/ Marinello in San Francisco where they offer the ONLY CIDESCO program in all of California! The CIDESCO instructors, Maria and Michelle are well educated and have tons of licenses and certifications. They go into a lot of detail with chemistry, body analysis, and body/ facial machines. Be prepared for tons of theory and practical work... and start thinking of a thesis asap. Maria is actually one of the CIDESCO examiners so she gives a lot of sound advice and what examiners look for. Good Luck to you and all your endeavors. And I hope this was helpful.

67 months ago

Jeff,

I know that you prefer not to recommend schools, but I really need your assistance, I need to attend a school in the Dallas area that teaches advanced esthetics, I have searched until my eyes are popping out of my head and can not find anything. Please help! Thank You! Missy

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

Missy in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Jeff,

I know that you prefer not to recommend schools, but I really need your assistance, I need to attend a school in the Dallas area that teaches advanced esthetics, I have searched until my eyes are popping out of my head and can not find anything. Please help! Thank You! Missy

Can you email me directly and give me an idea as to what you define as advanced? Are you already licensed in OK?

aaea@earthlink.net

67 months ago

Jeff,
I have e-mailed you directly and waiting your approval. Thank you so very much!

Sara in Tacoma, Washington

67 months ago

I am already and RN and would like to start working in medical aesthetics. I have no idea if I need certification first...in what? And where to find a course. I have seen coursses offered in other states, but don't know if they are worth it? Could you help with recommendation for type of certification I might seek and where?

jlynn4481 in Tacoma, Washington

67 months ago

Sara in Tacoma, Washington said: I am already and RN and would like to start working in medical aesthetics. I have no idea if I need certification first...in what? And where to find a course. I have seen coursses offered in other states, but don't know if they are worth it? Could you help with recommendation for type of certification I might seek and where?

Hi Sara,

There are jobs on Craigslist for RNs in skin care settings all the time. If you do want to get more skin specific training, I would recommend taking your basic esthetics training and then doing the medical esthetics course at Clover Park in Lakewood. I am just finishing my medical portion there, and I highly recommend it! If you have any other questions about the school feel free to contact me, or stop by the school to check it out...tomorrow is the last day of the quarter, but they will be back on June 29. Good luck!

Jeniece Tillman in Cleveland, Ohio

66 months ago

Hi Jeff,
I have been reading the forums on esthetics and it looks like you know your stuff. Right now I'm in school to become a LMT. Next year I plan on attending Aveda for the combined esthetics and managers program. I am really interested in the medical side of esthetics and wanted to know how would I get educated or certified on the medical side. Also I'm planning on relocating to Dallas once I get my license in esthetics, so should I wait until I get to Dallas to learn the medical side?

Anonymous in Fredericksburg, Virginia

66 months ago

A master esthetician is only recognized in the states of Utah and VA. You must first get your basic license then you can proceed to your master. The master license is required to perform chemical peels, microderm, lasers and lympathic drainage. Medical esthetician is a term used to describe someone who received a certification in medical esthetics. This is usually a 2-3 day course but it comes at a high price. As I'm not too happy with the nurses who have made the switch over to the esthetic field, if I had to give my advice, I'd say get at least your LPN then persue esthetics. Becoming an RN would be even better. Some states allow RN's to perform fillers as long as you're working under a medical director.

Also check out ITEC programs. This is actually better than Cidesco.

Dee Lite in Port Orchard, Washington

66 months ago

jlynn4481 in Tacoma, Washington said: Hi Jennifer~
Clover Park Technical College in Lakewood has a fantastic Medical Esthetics program. I am currently attending there, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. ~Jessa

Hi, I've been searching boards trying to find info from a student who has attended Clover Park's esthetics program. If you have a chance, could you tell me what you like best and least about the basic program as well as the medical esthetics portion? I have heard that from a couple of people that the basics program/instructor can be confusing and that they didn't learn much, but it may be their learning style or that they didn't have much science background. (I do) I have a 3.5 year old and very much want to become an esthetician. I love skin care and learning about it. I just want to find a good, well-rounded place with an education that goes beyond the basics. Euro Institute is the other top candidate, though I'd like to check out the Salon Professional Academy. I don't think Greenwood or Aveda will work for me. Any thoughts?

Much thanks,

Dawn

kentucky71 in Lexington, Kentucky

66 months ago

I'm interested in having my own skin business, however my mother is an esthetician who has her own place and says I shouldn't go into the field because it is becoming less profitable unless you are willing to work in a doctor's office. We live in Lexington, Kentucky. Any input?

lauramac306@yahoo.com in Hamilton, Ohio

66 months ago

I am an esthetician in Cincinnati, OH. It is true, estheticians are everywhere. It is a very saturated field. I work in a doctor's office and a spa. I make more at the doctor's office, usually. I am also going out on my own.

Having said that, there are different ways to be successful in this industry. If you are thinking spa, you have to have something that no other place offers, you have to be unique, and you have to market and advertise.

If you are interested in the medical field, you can find a plastic surgeon or dermatologist that has a room to rent out. You can have a skin care clinic affiliated with Dr. So and So

Either way, you will be spending a lot of money. Either on equipment for clinic, or on making your one woman spa (facials, waxing, etc) up to par with State Boards. Carrying skincare products is expensive too, but you have to do it. I suggest SkinCeuticals, best skincare I have run across. Casey Hagedorn is the account exec for your area.

There are doctor's out there that actually want to help you realize your dream, like the one I work for. Maybe you can work part-time at a drs. office while getting your biz together, so you can be making some money.

Good Luck, I say go for it!

bevligon in Nashville, Tennessee

66 months ago

kentucky71 in Lexington, Kentucky said: I'm interested in having my own skin business, however my mother is an esthetician who has her own place and says I shouldn't go into the field because it is becoming less profitable unless you are willing to work in a doctor's office. We live in Lexington, Kentucky. Any input?

It is interesting that you want your own skin business because I have partnered with the doctors who created Proactiv. They have four new lines: for sun-damaged skin, aging, acne, and sensitive skin, that is attached to a profitable business plan. Visit my website at www.bevligon.myrandf.com to see what I am referring to. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Andrea in Jupiter, Florida

66 months ago

Legally can a licensed esthetician work from home? Is this permitted? Is this a good way to go? Please advise…Thanks!

bevligon in Nashville, Tennessee

66 months ago

My comment was about this person that is not an aesthetician, but the products I am referring to are sold in aestheticians offices also, so they would not be working out of their home, but within their office practice setting. These products offer a great, medium-price range that may suit certain clients to a better advantage. The creators of Proactiv are well-known and provide excellent, quality products that can be sold from any venue.

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

66 months ago

Andrea in Jupiter, Florida said: Legally can a licensed esthetician work from home? Is this permitted? Is this a good way to go? Please advise…Thanks!

You will have to contact your state board of cosmetology and ask them. Each state is different. However, most require that you set it up as a business with seperate entrance and business license.

Jeff

MEREDITH

66 months ago

I GUESS I AM A UNIQUE IN THE WAY THAT I AM AN MEDICAL ESTHETICIAN FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND HAVE CLIENTS CHILDREN'S CHILDREN AS CLIENTS!I DO LOVE WHAT I DO AND CONSTANTLY KEEP CURRENT TAKING CLASSES ON NEW PROCEDURES AND DEVELOPEMENTS IN SKINCARE.IT IS AN EXCITING INDUSTRY AND WHAT MY CLIENTS LIKE IS THAT I AM DIVERSIFIED IN MANY AREAS WHILE OTHERS SPECIALIZE IN ONE AREA.BACK IN THE LATE 70'S,YOU NEEDED TO COMPLETE 1200 HRS.TO BE AN ESTHETICIAN AND LEARN ABOUT TOTAL COSMOTOLOGY,FROM HAIR TO NAILS ECT.I ONLY DID SKINCARE AND BECAME ADVANCED IN THE FEILD ALLOWING ME THE TITLE OF MASTER AESTHETICIAN OVER THE LAST DECADE.I AM A SPECIALIST IN TCA PEELS.I WOULD LIKE TO DO INJECTABLES AND FEEL I AM QUALIFIED.CAN I BE GRANDFATHERED IN TO DO THESE PROCEDURES? SOMETIMES I AM IN COMPETITION WITH THE DOCTORS I WORK FOR BECAUSE I CHARGE LESS FOR THE SAME OR SIMILIAR PROCEDURES.SOME PATIENTS WANT ONLY THE SURGEONS,SOME WANT THE DERMATOLOGISTS AND BELEIVE IT OR NOT, THE MAJORITY WANT ME ESPECIALLY FOR PEELS!I DO NOT WANT TO BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS ME BUT I WOULD LOVE TO DO INJECTIBLES WITHOUT STEPPING ON ANYONE'S TOES.IS THIS POSSIBLE OR DO I NEED TO BE AN M.D.?I AM IN NEW JERSEY.I AM VERY EXPERIENCED WITH NEEDLES THROUGH MICROPIGMENTATION PROCEDURES FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS-WAY BEFORE TATOOS WERE IN STYLE.I HAVE MASTERED MICROPIGMENTATION,DERMABRATION,GLYCOLIC ACID PEELS,ECT.BUT I AM TRYING NOW TO REINVENT MYSELF TO WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER--SOMETHING I HAVE NEVER DONE.I LOVE WHAT I DO AND HAVE HUNDREDS OF CLIENTS OVER THE YEARS THAT STAYED WITH ME. I MADE IT AFFORDABLE FOR THEM TO STAY AND I DO GOOD WORK- WHY NOT?I MAY BE RUNNING LOW ON GAS NOW UNABLE TO GIVE MY USUAL 125 PERCENT OR ACTUALLY UNWILLING TO GIVE IT.100 PERCENT IS FINE FOR ME NOW.I HAVE LEARNED MUCH IN BUSSINESS OVER THE YEARS.I WOULD LIKE TO WORK MY LAST DECADE AND MAKE MORE MONEY I SHOULD BE GETTING AT THIS STAGE OF MY CAREER.I THOUGHT INJECTIBLES--MAYBE SOMETHING ELSE?PLEASE RESPOND.THANK YOU,MEREDITH C

66 months ago

Dear Meredith C.,
The content of your e-mail was interesting. I am glad you feel you have mastered multiple skills that have been an advantage for you to receive your clients and to futher provide for their children. What I hear is that you are proud of what you have accomplished and feel confident that you could perform injectables as well for your clients. Well, Meredith you cannot perform a medical procedure without the proper license and training. No aesthetician should be performing injectables without a nursing license/ medical license. There are so many other skills that can be performed for a client that are safe, therapeutic and cost-conscious for you to continue growing in your professioanl practice. There are many ways to re-invent yourself during these economic changes and still stay financially sound at this stage of your life. Do not worry about terms/titles of Medical Aesthetician. Just keep growing and challenging yourself with skills, treatments and procedures that you can offer your clients that are within your scope of practice.
Sincerely,
Anna D. Rinehart
Skin Care Specialist

kiki in Brentwood, Tennessee

65 months ago

I have through this entire site -GREAT INFO!! I'm very interested in becoming a medical/clinical esthetician. I am in the midst of a career change, having been laid off a fews months ago from my 9 year career in advertising/marketing. I live in the Nashville, TN area.

I found a school in Scottsdale AZ - The IMAj Institute (www.imajschool.org/) which says it "is the nation's only esthetics school with a specific focus on clinical aesthetics training. The IMAj Institute is ideal for aspiring medical spa professionals." Anybody heard of it/been there? So far no postings on it. The tuition is $20K and the insructors all look about 22 years old...but the course work looks pretty comprehensive and if what they say is true - that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Aside from that - any reccos on a school in Nashville? THANKS!

JeffB in Dallas, Texas

65 months ago

kiki in Brentwood, Tennessee said: I have through this entire site -GREAT INFO!! I'm very interested in becoming a medical/clinical esthetician. I am in the midst of a career change, having been laid off a fews months ago from my 9 year career in advertising/marketing. I live in the Nashville, TN area.

I found a school in Scottsdale AZ - The IMAj Institute ( www.imajschool.org/ ) which says it "is the nation's only esthetics school with a specific focus on clinical aesthetics training. The IMAj Institute is ideal for aspiring medical spa professionals." Anybody heard of it/been there? So far no postings on it. The tuition is $20K and the insructors all look about 22 years old...but the course work looks pretty comprehensive and if what they say is true - that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Aside from that - any reccos on a school in Nashville? THANKS!

IMHO 1. Clinical/Medical esthetics is a post graduate study. Before venturing into this area, first get your license and work.
Also, although the course may seem impressive, it will not help you if you are just starting out and do not already have an esty license because a school must be accredited by the state in which you are being licensed. What this means is you may pay 20K attend their course, graduate and find that, because the school is not recognized in your state, you will have to start over again and attend a recognized and accepted school in your state to qualify you to take your test and be licensed.

Whereever you a contemplate on going, make sure that your state cosmetology board recognizes it to qualify you to be tested.

As for instructors, I always prefer that instructors have actual salon (work) experience as well as teaching.

I can tell you more if I see the course syllabus.

Jeff

Audrey in Chandler, Arizona

65 months ago

I'm familiar with imaj i almost went there to get my laser cert.
Hosestly Kiki all schools are going to promiss one thing or another, what you need is a school to prepare you to take the state boards and pass. you learn all your experience in the field.
i went to international academy of aesthetics in tempe az not far from imaj in scottsdale. they only charged $11,400. i graduated in dec and now im working at a medical spa. we do chem peels, micro, laser and botox. of course i can't to botox b/c im not an RN and i can't yet do laser b/c i haven't a laser cert yet which leaves the chem peels and micro which you learn in school.
all im saying is dont believe the hype i always knew before i went to school i wanted to be in medical so i looked into laser schools they range between $8k and $10k now that im working in the industry i find out you dont need all those schools make you believe you need.
the ARRA clearly states you need 40 hours in class lecture and 24 hours and 10 procedures on the job to be signed off by someone certified. Imaj's laser cert is 264 hours 128 of which are lecture. now that i know i found a couple places that only train you if your licensed and currently working for a dr. $500-$1000.
If i were you i wouldn't travel! goto aesthetics school get your license and go from there. who knows maybe the dr. will pay for your laser school! mine is! : )

65 months ago

JeffB in Dallas, Texas said: IMHO 1. Clinical/Medical esthetics is a post graduate study. Before venturing into this area, first get your license and work.
Also, although the course may seem impressive, it will not help you if you are just starting out and do not already have an esty license because a school must be accredited by the state in which you are being licensed. What this means is you may pay 20K attend their course, graduate and find that, because the school is not recognized in your state, you will have to start over again and attend a recognized and accepted school in your state to qualify you to take your test and be licensed.

Whereever you a contemplate on going, make sure that your state cosmetology board recognizes it to qualify you to be tested.

As for instructors, I always prefer that instructors have actual salon (work) experience as well as teaching.

I can tell you more if I see the course syllabus.

Jeff

The only thing that makes it clinical (or what they claim to be) is its aesthetics and laser cert combined.

www.imajschool.org/clinicalaestheticscourse.htm

Diane in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

WOW, great information from all past postings! Yes I went through them all...some intense and some a little repetitive...lol but great! I'm in the process of "doing my homework" before getting involved in this industry.

I appreciate all the new knowledge I have gained from this forum. I intend to stay focused and positive through the process! For what it may matter THANK YOU.

Best Wishes to all!

Sincerely,
Diane

AKline

65 months ago

I am in an esthetic program right now.....WOW I have never been at a school that is so unorganized. So expensive for the training I am receiving. It is pathetic. Central Indiana. Anyone been there? Disgusting

65 months ago

Akline,
I feel bad for your expereince in your school. You are not alone. Aestheticians are better instructed within a seperate program outside of cosmetology schools. Aesthetician students should be instructed Facial Aesthetic Instructors that have massive integrated educational background in order to teach new aestheticians the full spectrum of aesthetics skills and business concepts.
Anna D. Rinehart
Nurse-Aesthetician-Instructor-CEU Provider

Diane in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

Hello,
Can anyone give me some input on these Institutions; Avenue Five, Regency Beauty and Nuvani all near Austin, TX? What was your experiences and all the good the bad and the ugly...if any.

I'm researching Institutions to attend in the near future. I just moved to the area and having trouble finding guidance during this journey.

Thank you for your time.

Regards
Diane

AKline

65 months ago

Anna D. Rinehart in Harker Heights, Texas said: Akline,
I feel bad for your expereince in your school. You are not alone. Aestheticians are better instructed within a seperate program outside of cosmetology schools. Aesthetician students should be instructed Facial Aesthetic Instructors that have massive integrated educational background in order to teach new aestheticians the full spectrum of aesthetics skills and business concepts.
Anna D. Rinehart
Nurse-Aesthetician-Instructor-CEU Provider

I am so discouraged. Sincerely sick if I should quit the program and go back to work in my field....nursing. Love nursing, just wanted to add a speciality. The school I attend is filthy dirty, I am amazed it has not been shut down. Makes me want to open my own esthetics school. Actually have "criteria" a student has to pass to get into the program. Instead of letting someone with hardly any education and a sincere interest get in. It seems like several of the students in my class get all this government assistance, could care less about the education....and it keeps their money coming in from the government because they are "attending school" Pathetic once again.

65 months ago

Dear Akiline,
I have seen what you see, been where you are and felt what you feel! Keep your eye focused on what you came to get from that program. You are walking through the Hell and it will pass. Stay focused. Do not turn back. You will be glad you have both licensures and one day you could open a competive Facial Aesthetics teaching program with high standards. If, you stop....you can rest...but do not quit.
Sincerely,
Anna D. Rinehart

Missy in Guymon, Oklahoma

65 months ago

I agree, I am attending a school where it is difficult to get supplies, alot of the students purchase what is needed for themselves and the place is dirty! There are students who are attending just to get a "check" and have no interest in helping others much less paying attention! It will be worth it in the end, just hang in there, I tell myself just a few more days and I will be finished and then can move on to the next stage, you succeeded at Nursing, you can do this! if you truly do not like this school, instead of leaving the field totally, why not check into other schools in your area? Best Wishes! Missy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

i agree with all. it's the aesthetic schools everywhere! just in it for the money but just remember it will be over soon all u have to do is make it through boards and your golden. joint license is what i would love to do if i had the money! but if your school is really as dirty as you say maybe you should put a call into the state board and let them know i think they can get in trouble for that.

AKline

65 months ago

Thank You all for your support to continue on!

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

65 months ago

Audrey in Chandler, Arizona said: i agree with all. it's the aesthetic schools everywhere! just in it for the money but just remember it will be over soon all u have to do is make it through boards and your golden. joint license is what i would love to do if i had the money! but if your school is really as dirty as you say maybe you should put a call into the state board and let them know i think they can get in trouble for that.

Reporting the condition will generally generate a surprise inspection.

NMP in Neenah, Wisconsin

65 months ago

Hi:

After many years (26+) in one industry I am very interested in esthetics. I know the economy is tough so maybe these services are not in demand currently but I believe the desire will return. My dream is to have a boutique type business that caters to skin care, make-up, retail products, and image consulting. I would need to go to school probably in Wisconsin but am thinking that I may be relocating to Minnesota or the East Coast in a few years.

Can anyone tell me a good school to attend for my career desires? I went to Empire many years ago on the East Coast and had a bad experience. I am very interested in learning as I am in my early 50's and would like to know the best options for me for education. Also, you hear so much talk about age discrimination in the workplace these days, how about this field.

Thanks for the answers and the help

AKline

65 months ago

Good Luck. I am currently going to an Empire School in Indiana. It is a joke. Pathetic to say the least. Good luck

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.