Is being an Esthetician as bad as everyone is making it sound?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 108)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

LatinaLV in Las Vegas, Nevada

15 months ago

MissMolli in Gwynn Oak, Maryland said: You absolutely do not have to take the state board again if you want to practice in another state. As long as you keep your license current , you'd only need to ask another state for reciprocity. And should you need more education to meet the new state's requirements, then look into obtaining just the education you need. Liesy, please do thorough research about your state board's requirement for obtaining and maintaining an aesthetic's license. Many people will give you their subjective views and not the objective comments you need.

Also, I think it depends what city you live in. Major cities are the best places to work as an esthetician because women from those areas work in high stressed jobs and are always looking to be pampered after a stressful day at work; not to mention trying to maintain younger looking skin. So, if you don't mind moving, I'd suggest you look into moving to a city where women are more into health care & fitness, as well as med-spas & plastic surgeons are marketed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Also, I think it depends what city you live in. Major cities are the best places to work as an esthetician because women from those areas work in high stressed jobs and are always looking to be pampered after a stressful day at work; not to mention trying to maintain younger looking skin. So, if you don't mind moving, I'd suggest you look into moving to a city where women are more into health care & fitness, as well as med-spas & plastic surgeons are marketed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

MissMolli in Gwynn Oak, Maryland said: I'm finding that aestheticians that are dually licensed are in high demand. Perhaps becoming licensed in massage will give you the one-up over other aesthetic competition. Plus, being dually licensed may mean that your book is consistently filled with clients!

That's so true MissMolli, having a duel license is best. Here in Las Vegas the first to get the positions are Estheticians who are licensed in massage therapy. I'm going to school for esthetics right now and plan to get my 2nd license as a nail tech and getting a certificate as a reflexologist.

Vanessa in Providence, Rhode Island

15 months ago

Ered in Providence, Rhode Island said: I have been an aesthetician for over 8 years. I love what I do, and I have been extremely successful. I started in NYC in spa's, then to medical spa's, and now I work for one of the top plastic surgeon's in the country. As long as you have a passion for what you do, and continue your education in your field, you will be successful. it's all about your attitude and how good of a people person you are. the skills come with the experience and education. Love what you'll do, and you won't work a day in your life.....except the commute, ha! Good luck!

Hi Ered,

I am thinking about making a career move and go to Esthetician school in Rhode Island. I was wondering if you can give me some insight about the pros and cons of working as an esthetician in RI. I am looking to get into Medical Esthetics and would like to know what the job market is like after graduation and would I need to go back to school to learn more about lasers, microdermabrasion, etc. Please reach out to me when you can. I would love to learn about your experiance in NYC and in RI.

Thank you!

Vanessa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Grace Riley in Florida

15 months ago

Hi Vanessa,
Making the decision to change careers to go to esthetics school is not only a big decision, but a very personal one. It really depends on how passionate you are about esthetics, and what is the driving force behind your decison. Have you gotten a lot of facials and just loved them? What made you decide to think about this field?

I think this is a terrific field for anyone who loves everything skin care & makeup, but with that said there are things to think about. The income varies not only by state, but it depends on where you work (franchise, small spa, luxury day resort) and location (beach town, city, rural, suburb)--no one can tell you exactly how much money you make because it is dependent on so many factors.

I think if you plan on going out on your own in esthetics you need to have a second income while you build your book of business, otherwise you might want to work for a place that pays per hour. In addition, I highly recommend combining your esthetics license with massage therapy and/or nursing--it helps to have a back up career that goes hand and hand with esthetics.

Pro's--fun career, can be lucrative, flexible schedules, relaxing job

Con's-Can be hard finding a job without an internship/or spa job during school

Grace Riley Esthetics
Author of Jump Start Your Esthetics Career: A Guide For Newly Licensed Estheticians
& Spa Divas: A Place To Hang My Esthetics License

I am thinking about making a career move and go to Esthetician school in Rhode Island. I was wondering if you can give me some insight about the pros and cons of working as an esthetician in RI. I am looking to get into Medical Esthetics and would like to know what the job market is like after graduation and would I need to go back to school to learn more about lasers, microdermabrasion, etc. Please reach out to me when you can. I would love to learn about your experiance in NYC and in RI.

Thank you!

Vanessa

Kerbear in Riverside, California

14 months ago

Hii Eileen, my name is Kerri & I also live in the Beaumont area. I'm interested in pursuing esthetology but am struggling to find a good school. Marenello vs salon Success etc. Which program did you attend & do you have any advice? Also I agree with your idea of a contract :) Thanks so much -Kerri. :o)

Grace Riley in Florida

14 months ago

Kerbear in Riverside--
Here are some things to consider when looking for when deciding on a school for esthetics: price, job help/placement, how many product lines they use, the feel of the school (are you comfortable there?), and what types of treatments they teach. The most expensive school doesn't always equal the best school, and you have to remember that you will have to pay back any student loans you take out.

Grace Riley Esthetics
Author of JumpStart Your Esthetics Career: A Guide for Newly Licensed Estheticians & Spa Divas: A Place to Hang My License

R1305 in Denver, Colorado

13 months ago

What an interesting post. I am a 10 yr estie who started my own high end boutique practice 10 years ago. My income is will be over $250,000 this year for the 7th year - sole estie with an office assistant. 45% treatments 55% product.
I agree with the good education but truthfully, I went to a terrible school! Understand that your real education starts after you become licensed. I research continuously, train relentlessly, and understand that each time I walk into the treatment room my goal is to help my client build better skin. I do not do what everyone else does. I have build my own treatment protocols that have extraordinary results.
I also work incredibly hard! Never do I work fewer than 50 hrs and there are many weeks I work more. I sweep, vacuum, clean, and absolutely anything else that needs to be done to make my place one of sanctuary and retreat for my clients as well as a place of fabulous skin care.
I have tried over and over to train other esties. Never have I had success. They want to be paid a huge amount of money with no risk. They absolutely do not want to be responsible to bring in any business. For all the people I have employed and tried to train not one ever brought a client in. Plus they expect me to build my training schedule according to their schedule and are not willing to train outside of convenient - for them - hours. I am older and have the distinct idea that they have all expected me to do all the work while they sit and wait for someone to show up. I have taken girls to international trainings and yet they never study on their own.
Believe me, it has been frustrating.
If you want to be successful realize that this is a tough business. You need a variety of gifts ... natural and developed. Don't do what everyone else does, don't sell the same products as everyone else and make yourself a part of your clients' health and beautiful aging regimen.
Just words of wisdom from someone who has been wildly successful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KKSkincare in Troy, New York

13 months ago

Liesy28 in Rochester, New York said: Thanks for all your comments.
Although I must say I am still very confused. I get so many mixed messages. I guess it is just a risk that I have to decide whether to take or not.

I have been an esthetician for almost 10 years, and have grown a great clientelle. It depends on how badly you want it. There are some ups and downs, for example I don't get paid time off, or paid vacations, but on the other hand I have complete control of my schedule. I can take any day off I want, a ton of freedom, and i'm in no debt. I make more than all my friends and am the only one living on my own, so, what does that tell you? AGain, its all about the effort you put into it. I say if you have a passion for it, do it. I love what I do, I make people feel good on the inside and out, its very rewarding. Do what you love!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in El Paso, Texas

13 months ago

Thank you for your positive feedback to this person. I would love to hear more about how you operate your business. I am wanting to open a spa here in TX and was wondering if it would be possible to correspond with you. My email is ikandi.lashes@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/ikandilashes Do you have a web site for your business?

Tina in Arlington, Texas

12 months ago

Ok here's the deal, I am currently In Texas until April, I plan on returning to Connecticut beginning In May. Because a license is not required to practice as an Esthetician in CT, I was thinking of starting a small training center to teach basic skin care including theory and practical. What are the requirements for me through the state as far a licensing , insurance etc to start this business? I am I the process of building my business plan. I'm tired of working for other people and being broke. What are your thoughts, ideas and advice?? Please help

jennifer_n_brown@yahoo.com in San Antonio, Texas

11 months ago

It may be the state that you practice in that helps determine some of your opportunities. I live in Texas and was a licensed Cosmetologist before I went back to school to specialize in esthetics. Although, I did not need to do so because a Cosmetology license covers esthetics here. Since I did have the Cosmo license I applied for the simplest esthetic job while in school to increase the number of times I touched peoples skin. Although, it was at a Massage Envy Spa, and we did a total a four facials only (boring), I was paid $16/hr for services (I stayed pretty busy) $10 when I did not have services (had to market services during this time), and 15%-20% retail commission plus tips which were $15-$30. Just working Sat & Sun I could make between $600-$800 every two weeks working no more than 6hrs a day. That was years ago. Now I have a massage therapy license and do both so its harder to say how much is strictly skin care service and product sales but I will not ever work more than four days a week Thur-Sun are the best days. Also keep hours low. It seems you stay booked, and it keeps you from getting burned out and from hating the place where you work. Be very timely, arrive 20-30 before your shift ALWAYS to set up ad prepare, start and finish services timely. ALWAYS recommend solutions (products) offer at least 3(-5) and highlight 1(-2) (that they should not leave without) to guests and ask for prebooking by telling clients skin care is a commitment and to continue to see desired results you would like to see then every 4-6 weeks (varies depending on skin concerns, availability, and guests financial ability). During services ALWAYS be present in the moment (not thinking about your grocery list) and provide a thorough, complete, and great service (that brings you great tips). NEVER judge how much money you may think a person has, be kind and consistent with everyone. I just gave you all the keys to success for free. Good luck and I am sure you will do well!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Manchester, Tennessee

11 months ago

There are so many different areas to work in as an esthetician. If you're not going about things with a positive I can do this sort of attitude then why bother? The possibilities are endless really and it's up to the person to get out there and strive for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ellie in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

10 months ago

Really, Connie? How much are you making as an aesthetician?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hmfab in Fort Worth, Texas

10 months ago

Jules,
Hi! I am also in Fort Worth and looking at schools this week! What school did you attend? Do you recommend it? Where did you get a job at right after graduation?

hmfab in Fort Worth, Texas

10 months ago

Jules in Fort Worth, Texas said: I think it's a great field to get in to! Depending on location of course. I graduated in February of this year and was hired at a spa within two days of graduating. Yes it does have its slow times, but there are days when it's busy and the potential to make 20-60 bucks an hour is pretty awesome. You just have to let that spa know that you're willing to learn.

Jules,
Hi! I am also in Fort Worth and looking at schools this week! What school did you attend? Do you recommend it? Where did you get a job at right after graduation?

Sioux in Mount Vernon, New York

10 months ago

Do you think area plays apart in some of it. Troy, NY is far from NYC yet you are doing well what's your best advice for an Esthetician starting out in New York?

KKSkincare in Troy, New York said: I have been an esthetician for almost 10 years, and have grown a great clientelle. It depends on how badly you want it. There are some ups and downs, for example I don't get paid time off, or paid vacations, but on the other hand I have complete control of my schedule. I can take any day off I want, a ton of freedom, and i'm in no debt. I make more than all my friends and am the only one living on my own, so, what does that tell you? AGain, its all about the effort you put into it. I say if you have a passion for it, do it. I love what I do, I make people feel good on the inside and out, its very rewarding. Do what you love!

littlecros in Pinckney, Michigan

10 months ago

Maybe you're not as successful as you intended because you don't apply yourself enough. To tell someone who is looking to get into this field 'Don't do it' is doing them a dis-service. What if they make a killing in the field? You're jading them by your own negative experiences and that's not fair. I have been an Esthetician for 15 years and have done it in two different states WITHOUT having to retake the state boards...so your statement about having to re-take them is incorrect. All you need to do is meet the requirements of the state you are transferring to and you're good. I now work in a full service salon and our team strives for the best for our clients. We cross promote as often as we can. You are only as successful as you want yourself to be. I may not make 6 figures but I make a pretty comfortable living not to mention supporting my husband when he was in college. I see big things in my future because I am making them happen. This isn't the field for everyone and it sounds like it's not the right one for you but at least you tried.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jaycee of Brown & DeLine/littlecros in Pinckney, Michigan

10 months ago

mm in North Arlington, New Jersey said: No don't do it it's not worth it, if you can do something else go that route. At the salon they pay you 10$/ Hr and at the doctor's 20$/Hr but they will only give you part time, do the research and see for yourself . No medical or payed vacations also. I am an esthetician for about 6 years now and I'm always broke :(((( And if you want to work in a different state you have to take the state board again!

Maybe you're not as successful as you intended because you don't apply yourself enough. To tell someone who is looking to get into this field 'Don't do it' is doing them a dis-service. What if they make a killing in the field? You're jading them by your own negative experiences and that's not fair. I have been an Esthetician for 15 years and have done it in two different states WITHOUT having to retake the state boards...so your statement about having to re-take them is incorrect. All you need to do is meet the requirements of the state you are transferring to and you're good. I now work in a full service salon and our team strives for the best for our clients. We cross promote as often as we can. You are only as successful as you want yourself to be. I may not make 6 figures but I make a pretty comfortable living not to mention supporting my husband when he was in college. I see big things in my future because I am making them happen. This isn't the field for everyone and it sounds like it's not the right one for you but at least you tried.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie lynn in spartanburg, South Carolina

9 months ago

I wish I was as confident as some of you, I had my business 12 months, in 2008 when the economy went so did my business. As far as the post on so many opportunities as an aesthetician, maybe for you young folks, I am washed up trying to get jobs, if you don't know how to do a Brazilian wax in this area you are out of luck. and as for me I am not into waxing butts. I spent alot of hours and money in this field, and now don't know which way to turn. Doctors won't hire a older woman so the only way to survive as an esty is o=your own business and you better have the bucks.

Sioux in Bronx, New York

8 months ago

Debbie lynn in spartanburg, South Carolina said: I wish I was as confident as some of you, I had my business 12 months, in 2008 when the economy went so did my business. As far as the post on so many opportunities as an aesthetician, maybe for you young folks, I am washed up trying to get jobs, if you don't know how to do a Brazilian wax in this area you are out of luck. and as for me I am not into waxing butts. I spent alot of hours and money in this field, and now don't know which way to turn. Doctors won't hire a older woman.

It's the refusing to do certain services that messes you up. I see plenty older women in this business. Good work and great reputation takes you far. Could you do a few days at different locations like EWC and Hand & Stone to build a new clientele and generate income? And maybe update your skills, making you more valuable to the current market? Could you teach Esthetics? Think in terms like that. Have a positive outlook. You should be open to new treatments and learning. Get the certification to teach you might have a lot to offer the newer generation of Estheticians. One of the instructors at my school is 70 and she's the best and well loved by students because of her great attitude and knowledge. Good luck best wishes!

Grace Riley in Florida

8 months ago

To Debbie Lynn in Spartanburg, SC--I am sad to hear you say that you are "I am washed up trying to get jobs."
Of course, we all understand about the terrible economy, especially back in 2008. I hope you haven't given up on your esthetics career entirely. I don't think age has anything to do with a successful esthetics career. Honestly, I think being older has its advantages: you know what you want; you are likely more mature and professional; and with age comes confidence. A lot of employers hire older estheticians, I should know as I have been hired for every interview I've gone on, even if I didn't take the job. Me being older has not hurt me at all, sure I have to competed with younger, more hip estheticians, but my professionalism and maturity gives me a unique advantage over younger estheticians. Your age is simply a number. However, with that said if you treat your skin poorly, smoke and sit out in the sun frequently ( I hope you don't do this as an esthy) then maybe your appearance isn't giving a healthy appearance needed to work in the field. We are selling health and beauty so we need to look the best we can. That doesn't mean that we have to look like a celebrity, but our appearance should convey wellness.

I agree with the person from the Bronx that a "good attitude" is important. And while you might hate doing Brazilian waxes, it is a good money maker, but I understand because it isn't my favorite either. However, you don't have to do Brazilians to be successful, there are many estheticians who survive working doing skin care exclusively at places like med-spas. I think it is important to carve out your own niche in esthetics.
Grace Riley Esthetics
Author of Jump Start Your Esthetics Career, Spa Divas: A Crazy Place to Hang My Esthetics License, and Spa Business: A Party Plan to Success

8 months ago

Kudos to the last post. Yes, age has many advantages. The demographics are in our favor in terms of our "PEERS" having expendable income. I started my career at 54 and within one year was booked sold 6 months in advance. I maintained that client volume for 10 years until one of my clients bought a resort. Now I am developing a Wellness Center /Integrative Spa concept at that location. It is the most challenging thing I have ever done and I love every minute (however exhausting it is!) If you have something extraordinary to offer, you will be successful. The problem I so often see is that everyone is doing the same thing with little to no results. Step outside the "typical" and create a business that can't be replicated. We don't all need to peel, laser, use the same products, do exactly the same thing. Be bold. Research and develop something unique within the field. It can be done!

Sioux in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

8 months ago

R1305 in Denver, Colorado said: Kudos to the last post. Yes, age has many advantages. The demographics are in our favor in terms of our "PEERS" having expendable income."

Good for you! I agree, be creative and hard work! Go above and beyond and you'll keep a loyal following.

sagi1984 in Peoria, Arizona

8 months ago

TB in Fountain Valley, California said: I wouldn't suggest becoming an esthetician . I graduated in 2003 and got my license and applied everywhere. Nobody wants to hire a newly licensed esthetician. It is very competitive out there. Spas pay you a commision per service. It sucks because you will never have a steady paycheck. You will never know how much money you will bring in that month. I aslo heard that most spas have slow seasons. They don't even pay or even offer you benefits. And yes, most spas will require you to work weekends.

I agree. I got my license in 2008, and nobody would give me an interview. I got poor and desperate so I went back to retail. Now I have a license for something I had big dreams on, and am $25 thousand dollars in debt. I only wish I had someone to advise me of the reality of how it is. I still have a license but hardly remember much of what I learned. It feels like such a waste. I only have heard that two former classmates I attended with are successful, but as makeup artists, not as estheticians. Wish I had been made aware of the reality before accruing so much debt. Now I'm stuck in retail hell and am completely uncertain of the future.

Sioux in Newark, New Jersey

8 months ago

I don't agree I got offer for 65,000 I haven't even graduated yet. Do you do laser, permanent makeup, write, etc.? Hand & Stone hire new grads so does EWC. Hard work, skill and desire determine your success in this game. You got to hustle hard and be hungry for success. I worked before and I will when I finish. With all the beauty lines out there that make millions no way there's no work for an esthetician if she really wants it bad enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marion Dove in Port Richey, Florida

8 months ago

I've been a skin care Instructor for 12 years, and I've seen hundreds and hundreds of students come and go. Usually by the third of fourth week I KNOW who has their heart in it and will be successful because they have the drive and the passion for it. They will go through any Length to MAKE THINGS HAPPEN one way or the other,whether it means to move to a larger city, taking out a bank loan etc. They start their planning long before they graduate, they go to every Spa conference and attend classes and workshops, they dont let problems at home distract them from their goal. Yesss, you can become very successful in this Profession! If you start out BECAUSE of the money, you will fail because if thats the only thing that drives you, you will soon find out that it takes a lot of hard work, perseverance and dedication. Esthiology is not Rocket Science, anyone can learn it. (thats why there are not THAT many really good ones out there.) You gotta love it because you're up against a bunch of competition (good and bad) and if the love is not there, you will throw in the towel too soon because the passion is not there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sioux in Baltimore, Maryland

8 months ago

My classmates are like that only a few have real passion. When you are motivated and driven nothing can stop you. I agree 100%!

Shanna in Oregon

8 months ago

margaret nichol in Playa Vista, California said: Keep your full-time job. I have been in the industry for eleven years and its been a struggle.

I have been an Aesthetician and Nail Tech for a little over a decade. I worked as an independent contractor for three years and topped out at 2,000 per month after product/rent costs. I kept it simple but I don't live in a big city where there is a strong upper middle class core. In fact, there is barely a middle class core on the entire coast. There are only few towns where the average income is close to $40,000. I have worked for a resort spa for 6 years and made close to $50,000 in the same region because of wealthy traveling clientele and very few locals. I have worked for a very plush and environmentally sound spa in Corvallis that had a string local clientele but closed down when the 'owner' spent all of the investor'a money and sold $20,000 worth of gift certificates right after holiday and we were booked solid. I made about the same there. I have worked in a small but lush day spa in Manzanita, where I made ok money for summer but the owner takes extra money old each service and so I needed up making less than what I thought. Lastly, I have worked in the smallest little petite retreat that is half local and half tourist and didn't make any money there because the owner refuses to make changes. So, if you consider demographics, price point, clientele base, management, product control and education among other small details, You Can Make Money if you are in an area where people have the extra $ to pay for there skin treatments and Want to feel and look better. If you build trust with your client, and they love your service, they will come back to you. The things I've learned from this biz, is don't get too much product and equipment right away until you have a repeat clientele that is following you.

Shanna in Oregon

8 months ago

R1305 in Denver, Colorado said: Kudos to the last post. Yes, age has many advantages. The demographics are in our favor in terms of our "PEERS" having expendable income. I started my career at 54 and within one year was booked sold 6 months in advance. I maintained that client volume for 10 years until one of my clients bought a resort. Now I am developing a Wellness Center /Integrative Spa concept at that location. It is the most challenging thing I have ever done and I love every minute (however exhausting it is!) If you have something extraordinary to offer, you will be successful. The problem I so often see is that everyone is doing the same thing with little to no results. Step outside the "typical" and create a business that can't be replicated. We don't all need to peel, laser, use the same products, do exactly the same thing. Be bold. Research and develop something unique within the field. It can be done!

Yes, it can be done! I am 43 and I still get offered jobs at spas and I turn them down. My only issue is really been my hands, neck and arms feeling residual effects of the work on top of not making as much as I used to. I also tried moving around to different areas to see if it made a difference and it does.
Just don't settle for less in this field when you know and feel you are worth more. After being on all sides of the spectrum, if you have the dough to invest in independent work with right demographic, you can crate your own individual practice. Being unique is definitely key in the industry.

Diane Buccola in San Jose, California

8 months ago

How to be successful in the field of esthetics is my passion. I study it, I lecture about it, and I even recently wrote a book about it. Last week I taught a class to esthetic instructors at the International Congress of Esthetics & Spa convention. And here's what you need to know: As some have mentioned above, esthetics school simply gets you licensed. It's what you do after that that really matters. Esthetics has changed a lot since I've been in the business (15 years). It used to be that having great esthetic skills and good products was all you needed. But not anymore. Now the most important part of this business is about fabulous -- and personal -- customer service, which results in an unbreakable bond with your client. They will come to you for services, they will buy your home care products, and they will tell everyone about you. It won't matter where you work, what city you are in, and probably even what products you use and sell. The client bond is today's magic ingredient. And the best news about that is that this is something you have 100% control of and nobody can take it away from you. The esthetic business is booming and will continue to grow as consumers drift away from aggressive (and expensive) dermatology treatments and are looking for esthetician services. It's a fun and exciting career. See for yourself by attending a trade show. There are classes, networking opportunities, products, equipment and so much more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Latinalv@gmail.com in Las Vegas, Nevada

8 months ago

Thank you for the helpful tip. I appreciate the positive input.

beaner4 in Boston, Massachusetts

8 months ago

Hi, I would love to get in touch with you via email. I'm an esthetician in Boston and would love to brainstorm on how you have been successful as well as get advice from the best of the best. I can send you my email as well (but will wait to hear from you to confirm). Thank you.

8 months ago

Yes, please send me your email.

GiGi in Victoria, Texas

8 months ago

louisa in Des Moines, Iowa said: I've been an esthetician 12 years it better to work for your self if you do this
you will work your butt off for someone else and get paid lower your have to invest in mor education to market your self better, have the latest products if your good at this trade clients will stay with you. don't quit your day job
with benifits do this as a hobby,

In my experience, it is better to be dual licensed. I obtain a cosmetology license encompasses all skin care. However, I know if I wanted to work in a med-spa, employers would likely want to specifically see an esthetics license, so I obtained that separately. I also had some interest in massage therapy, and since most spas offer massage services I invested in getting my massage therapy license. There hasn't been a place I applied that didn't respond to my inquiry, regardless if they were only looking for one or the other trade. I have worked for a spa downtown in my city that paid me 40% on services $15/hr when I had no services. Still no benefits, but you can set a schedule and have some idea of what you will earn. Now I'm switching to a massage therapy position that pays $24/hr to start w/benefits. I have potential earn up to $42/hr, this is all before tips. I rent a space for private practice at $100/wk. there Ivan still offer skincare services and massage therapy. I charge an average of $70-$75 base for each service. I use vista print for my advertisements which is inexpensive and use the amenities of the spa as add on services or complementary for loyal customers. This industry is about a lot of things, being as marketable as possible, having drive and initiative to gain and keep business, staying relevant, being professional, skilled at technique, and knowledgable. It is what you make of it. If you want you can be successful. That is just my experience here in Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Diane Buccola/SpaBizBoard in San Jose, California

8 months ago

beaner4 in Boston, Massachusetts said: Hi, I would love to get in touch with you via email. I'm an esthetician in Boston and would love to brainstorm on how you have been successful as well as get advice from the best of the best. I can send you my email as well (but will wait to hear from you to confirm). Thank you.

I actually have put all of this into a book that came out last year (The Heart of Esthetics: Creating Loyal Clients and Achieving Financial Success), and I promise everything you need to know is in there! Here is a link to my website that explains the book and has a link to purchase in paperback and Kindle: happyesthetician.com/home/books/

You can also find my articles regularly in Les Nouvelles Esthetiques & Spa magazine and I am a regular speaker at International Congress of Esthetics & Spa (ICES). You might want to "like" my Happy Esthetician Facebook page. We are always discussing current topics there. No fluff, just the important stuff. (Well, okay, once in a while there might be a little fluff, cuz estheticians need a laugh once in a while!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

GiGi in Victoria, Texas said: In my experience, it is better to be dual licensed. I obtain a cosmetology license encompasses all skin care. However, I know if I wanted to work in a med-spa, employers would likely want to specifically see an esthetics license, so I obtained that separately. I also had some interest in massage therapy, and since most spas offer massage services I invested in getting my massage therapy license. There hasn't been a place I applied that didn't respond to my inquiry, regardless if they were only looking for one or the other trade. I have worked for a spa downtown in my city that paid me 40% on services $15/hr when I had no services. Still no benefits, but you can set a schedule and have some idea of what you will earn. Now I'm switching to a massage therapy position that pays $24/hr to start w/benefits. I have potential earn up to $42/hr, this is all before tips. I rent a space for private practice at $100/wk. there Ivan still offer skincare services and massage therapy. I charge an average of $70-$75 base for each service. I use vista print for my advertisements which is inexpensive and use the amenities of the spa as add on services or complementary for loyal customers. This industry is about a lot of things, being as marketable as possible, having drive and initiative to gain and keep business, staying relevant, being professional, skilled at technique, and knowledgable. It is what you make of it. If you want you can be successful. That is just my experience here in Texas.

I just want to commend you for getting your esthetician license too! These days a cosmetology license is not going to get anybody very far in the esthetics business, but unfortunately cosmo students don't become aware of that until someday when they are looking for an esthetician job. On the other hand, holding an esthetician license AND a massage therapy license can come in handy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

GiGi in Victoria, Texas

8 months ago

Thank you. Yes I wanted to be as marketable as possible. I went to Houston and got my laser certification as well. Looking forward to getting a Physician's Assistant degree, in time. Just enjoying the journey. It's been great so far.

8 months ago

I have seen 2 major changes in the field of esthetics since I got my license in 1998. The first one was that the spa-like products (smelled great, beautifully packaged) morphed into the more clinical lines which are more results-oriented and contain active ingredients. So those estheticians who adjusted their businesses accordingly weren't affected at all.

The more recent change is the current trend of our professional skin care products being sold online to the public. These days you can find our products on vendor websites, Amazon and eBay, and even worse...esthetician websites. This is a huge problem because if the general public can buy our products online (sometimes at a discount!!!) without ever having seen an esthetician for a consultation or facial -- guess what? Estheticians are no longer needed, and we then become extinct.

I don't think estheticians who are selling products online to the public realize that they are literally putting themselves -- and all of us -- right out of business.

So once again, things have changed. And we must adjust. We need to be putting more of our focus and efforts on the relationships we have with our clients. If you have an unshakeable bond with your clients, they will not go looking elsewhere for a better deal.

8 months ago

I agree with your commentary, however, even though items are available online you can still develop a loyal following. As an esthetician I believe you are first and foremost an educator. Teaching your clients what to do and what NOT to do at home is as important as your hands and the intensive treatment you offer. Treatment requirements are not static or constantly repeatable nor is a home care regimen. If we teach out clients properly they will not be tempted to purchase online but will trust in our counsel. Customer service and relationship has been and always will be paramount in our industry.

INSTANT KARMA in Fenelon Falls, Ontario

7 months ago

YOUR SAVING GRACE IN THE U.S. IS THAT YOU ARE LICENSED. THAT ALONE IS VERY EMPOWERING. YOU NEED TO SET STANDARDS OF PRACTICE AND DEMAND TO BE PAYED ACCORDING
TO YOUR EDUCATION. DON"T LET EMPLOYERS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR INTELLECT. YOUR DOING ALL THE WORK! STOP THE GREED!STOP THE SLAVE LABOUR!TAKE CHARGE GIRLS AND GUYS.
HERE IN CANADA WE HAVE NO LICENSING FOR ESTHETICS EVERYBODY AND ANYBODY THINKS THEY CAN DO MY JOB. THEY ARE DOING THE SERVICES WITHOUT CREDENTIALS. DO YOU HAVE THE SAME
PROBLEM? BE AN ADVOCATE STICK TOGETHER, ENCOURAGE YOUR CLIENTS TO ONLY HAVE SERVICES
FROM LICENSED ESTHETICIANS. THE SKYS THE LIMIT WITH PASSION!

Steph Marie in Providence, Rhode Island

7 months ago

Hi Ered- I'm in the Providence area as well! I'm looking to change my career from corporate and go back to school to be an Esthetician. I want a career that I'll fully enjoy and helping others to feel good about themselves is greatly rewarding. I'd love to talk to you more about your process in this industry. Also, I moved here from NYC too!

Ered in Providence, Rhode Island said: I have been an aesthetician for over 8 years. I love what I do, and I have been extremely successful. I started in NYC in spa's, then to medical spa's, and now I work for one of the top plastic surgeon's in the country. As long as you have a passion for what you do, and continue your education in your field, you will be successful. it's all about your attitude and how good of a people person you are. the skills come with the experience and education. Love what you'll do, and you won't work a day in your life.....except the commute, ha! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Mud Doctor in Washington, District of Columbia

7 months ago

I am looking for a esthetician who is looking to help people get skin care results. Please email me your resume or message me your resume.

Diane Buccola in Rancho Cordova, California

6 months ago

I received an email from this site notifying me that someone was requesting a telephone conversation to talk about the spa biz. (I followed the link in the email but I don't see that request) But if that person is reading this, this is for you: There are numerous places to get my insight about the spa biz, if you are interested. (Pretty much all I do is talk about the spa biz! LOL) So here are some links:

My message board: www.SpaBizBoard.com
Facebook biz page: Happy Esthetician
Twitter: SpaBizBoard
Book (Amazon or my website): The Heart of Esthetics - Creating Loyal Clients and Achieving Financial Success
Next speaking engagement: International Congress of Esthetics & Spa, Long Beach CA (Monday, September 8th)
Articles in Les Nouvelles Esthetiques & Spa magazine: Current issue June, and upcoming August issue.

Monet Bradley in Baltimore, Maryland

5 months ago

Hi, I'm looking in becoming an Esthetician but i'm having problems in picking a school. I've heard great things about Von Lee international school of aesthetics,but the cost is a problem for me and they don't take financial aid. Do anyone know any other great schools in the baltimore area?

The Mud Doctor in Baltimore, Maryland

5 months ago

I may be able to help. email me your resume to louisdyoung@gmail.com

The Mud Doctor in Waldorf, Maryland

5 months ago

margaret nichol in Playa Vista, California said: Keep your full-time job. I have been in the industry for eleven years and its been a struggle.

I have a product that I would love your professional opinion on. Can I mail you a sample?

5 months ago

Monet Bradley in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hi, I'm looking in becoming an Esthetician but i'm having problems in picking a school. I've heard great things about Von Lee international school of aesthetics,but the cost is a problem for me and they don't take financial aid. Do anyone know any other great schools in the baltimore area?

I may be able to help! Email me your resume. louisdyoung@gmail.com

5 months ago

Diane Buccola in Rancho Cordova, California said: I received an email from this site notifying me that someone was requesting a telephone conversation to talk about the spa biz. (I followed the link in the email but I don't see that request) But if that person is reading this, this is for you: There are numerous places to get my insight about the spa biz, if you are interested. (Pretty much all I do is talk about the spa biz! LOL) So here are some links:

My message board: www.SpaBizBoard.com
Facebook biz page: Happy Esthetician
Twitter: SpaBizBoard
Book (Amazon or my website): The Heart of Esthetics - Creating Loyal Clients and Achieving Financial Success
Next speaking engagement: International Congress of Esthetics & Spa, Long Beach CA (Monday, September 8th)
Articles in Les Nouvelles Esthetiques & Spa magazine: Current issue June, and upcoming August issue.

Diane,
I want to send you the gift of SEACRET™, and introduce you to a truly revolutionary line of skincare products. I’ve become so passionate about these products that I decided to partner with the company and share the love! I would love to send you a sample of a daily skincare regimen that fits perfectly with your skin type. If you enjoy it or are curious to learn more, please contact me at any time. I would love to hear what YOUR experience was with SEACRET™, and tell you more about these amazing products. Please let me know what you skin type is and where to send the samples!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diane Buccola in Rancho Cordova, California

5 months ago

Thanks for the offer, The Mud Doctor. But I am a licensed professional Esthetician and therefore I only use and sell professional skin care products. That means no Direct-to-Consumer, Multi-Level-Marketing, mall kiosk, or department store, etc. products. (And I encourage other licensed estheticians do the same.) So I would not be a good customer for you.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.