Is it a good or bad time to be an esthetician?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Kriss in Totowa, New Jersey

61 months ago

I am signing up for school tomorrow to be an esthetician. I am nervous with the economy.
Can somebody let me know what is going on out there right now in the industry?
How is business for you?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

HeatherM70 in Omaha, Nebraska

61 months ago

Kriss in Totowa, New Jersey said: I am signing up for school tomorrow to be an esthetician. I am nervous with the economy.
How is business for you?
Thanks

I have the same question. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Carson, California

61 months ago

I am planning to enroll next week and still contemplating if i should pursue this career. I did a lot of research and it is worth trying depending on your situation. I suggest listen to your heart and if this is what you want to do , go for it ...Life is too short !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leah Jade in Santa Cruz, California

60 months ago

I would definetly say... DONT DO IT !!!! Trust me if i could turn bacck the clock i would. THERE ARE NO JOBS WHATSOEVER in esthetics especially for beginners. I finished school 1year and half ago and never found anything. I was willing to commute an hours drive and looked like crazy. Everyone i know who is an esthetican has lost half there clientel with the economy. All i gained was 8 thousand dollars debt. I have really good job history and am educated besides esthy school, am 27years old and a good looking gal :) DONT DO IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Trish in Yorktown, Virginia

60 months ago

In Virginia here and there is slim pickings in this area as well. Most places are looking for a Master Aesthetician because of all the medspas popping up and the higher end spas. This is the only reason why I went ahead and started the Master program..hopefully in March when I get done there will be more opportunities out there for me but as for basic esthics it is not good hopefully when the economy picks up if it does pffffft there will be more out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

09hazel in Piqua, Ohio

60 months ago

Hello Kriss,

Did you sign up for the course?

Have you talked to estheticians in your town? I'd recommend you make yourself known and network with estis, stylists, massage therapists, etc while you're in school.

If you have a passion for the field and it's what you really want to do, then definitely consider it. The economy is hurting everyone one but even in rough times, there are people who succeed. By the time you graduate and get your license, things might be better. You should also consider the area you live in because this will be a factor in your decision.

I live in a small town and haven't found a job yet. (I graduated in August and passed state board in October). Part of my problem is I don't want to drive 30-40 minutes to get to a job so I've hampered myself because of territory. I also don't have much confidence in myself because the school I went to wasn't very good.

Also, I didn't find out until I was almost through the course that I really needed to get a managing license, too. (The school doesn't offer it and of course, never mentioned it until I was 3/4 through the program.) If I had this license, more opportunities would have been available for me. For example, if I could meet state requirements, I could work out of my home. Also, I didn't take nail technology which would have helped me since the more you can do, the better the employment opportunities. A lot of the job postings want an esti/nail tech or esti/massage therapist.

Does your school offer job placement assistance?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

skincare pro in Arden, North Carolina

60 months ago

Kriss in Totowa, New Jersey said: I am signing up for school tomorrow to be an esthetician. I am nervous with the economy.
How is business for you?
Thanks

Wow! if you already signed up, i guess you don't need this. if not, i don't think it is a good time to do so. most luxury businesses get slow during bad economies, and there is a glut of new estheticians since these schools are telling lies, and pretending there are "endless Posssibilities." I know many estheticians who aren't working in the field, and can't make a living on their wage. best wishes to you whichever choice you make. s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

skin4life

60 months ago

Yes the economy has made everything slow right now especially luxury services! If it is your passion though, don't let the economy stop you. I graduated in Jan of 2007. I took a part-time receptionist job at a plastic surgeon office while also working part-time at a spa. I did anything & everything to get my foot in the door. Now I am full-tume esty at the surgeons office making generous hourly plus commission and benefits. I never gave up, it has been a hard road but so worth it. I love what I do. I have learned so much on the job. Follow your heart and doors will open for you when you are ready!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kris in Bergenfield, New Jersey

60 months ago

Hi
Thanks for the advice. Seems the opinions are split.
I fear what has happened to some of you...especially inheriting the 8,000. debt upon which i must pay 1000. out of pocket bc student loans didnt cover it all.
I have orientation tonight and I guess that is the time I sign on the dotted line.
I have so many reservations such as the fact that I can see myself getting nauseaus when I gotta squeeze blackheads and whiteheads; crazy clients that are just never satisfied no matter what u do and all the back pain, and the fact that I see barely any esty job postings in the entire country but I am trying to focus on the positives and hope for the best. Good Luck everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

skincare pro in Arden, North Carolina

60 months ago

Kris in Bergenfield, New Jersey said: Hi
Thanks for the advice. Seems the opinions are split.
I fear what has happened to some of you...especially inheriting the 8,000. debt upon which i must pay 1000. out of pocket bc student loans didnt cover it all.
I have orientation tonight and I guess that is the time I sign on the dotted line.
I have so many reservations such as the fact that I can see myself getting nauseaus when I gotta squeeze blackheads and whiteheads; crazy clients that are just never satisfied no matter what u do and all the back pain, and the fact that I see barely any esty job postings in the entire country but I am trying to focus on the positives and hope for the best. Good Luck everyone

i say look deep, and if you feel nauseus about extractions, you may be on the wrong road. take a few minutes to really do the pros and cons on paper and see which comes out on top. if you have the non-stop passion that the former does, then you will be able to keep pushing, if not, then invest in a different type of school, or education that does feel better, and does not cause nausea. best wishes. s

09hazel in Piqua, Ohio

60 months ago

Other students at the school I went to didn't want to do extractions, etc. After you make it through, you basically pick what you want to specialize in for employment. I've heard of some estheticians who really only do waxing and body treatments. If they do facials, they skip the extraction. I had a client at school who told me that with all the facials she has had, I was the first esty that performed extractions on her.

What do you think you want to do as an esthetician?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leah in Oregon, Wisconsin

56 months ago

Leah Jade in Santa Cruz, California said: I would definetly say... DONT DO IT !!!! Trust me if i could turn bacck the clock i would. THERE ARE NO JOBS WHATSOEVER in esthetics especially for beginners. I finished school 1year and half ago and never found anything. I was willing to commute an hours drive and looked like crazy. Everyone i know who is an esthetican has lost half there clientel with the economy. All i gained was 8 thousand dollars debt. I have really good job history and am educated besides esthy school, am 27years old and a good looking gal :) DONT DO IT

I have a lot of ideas if you would like them email me..at leahchap@att.net..you shouldn't give up.. and you need to be more motivated to do the leg work and put in the time.. Remember something.. you are a licensef Professional.. you don't need to depend on a Spa.. to fly on their coat tails. Cosmetologist.. have to work under someone for nearly.. two years.. before they can work on their own. I live in WI. I don't think.. we need a managers license.. only Cosmetologist do. You can get someone to help you split the rent in a room in a Spa.. and get a bunch of clients. Shoot for a massage therapist.. put an ad in the paper..you can help bring in each other business.. I don't think.. its fair to discourage others though.. because.. it all depends on how motivated and persisitent you are. If you want to get yourself out there and hand out business cards and service brochures.. contact this lady in CA.. susan@thefacialroom.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lanka in Tacoma, Washington

40 months ago

I graduated over 3 years ago. I was only lucky to get a job on call and I was open to do this job all week. My owner told me, that they really strugeling to survive. She lost almost 50% of her business because of the economy. I could barely make $300/month as Esthetician. I had no choice to get another job as custodian. I spend on esthetic programm over $7.000 but I never made even half what I spend on school. mostly all girld inmy class went into medical to be a nurse. I DO NOT RECOMEND ANYONE THIS JOB AS LIVING. I wish someone could stop me or show me different direction. Now, I still have to pay loan and I don't even work there. I tried so hard to get a job in spa but no one is hiring.
Don't know what to do myself now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Confused in Nashville, Tennessee

36 months ago

Can someone please give me some input? I'm a licensed cosmetologist, but I hate doing hair. I have been thinking of going back to get my esthetics license for a long time. I'm in college with 2 years left until I have my bachelor's degree. Is the esthetics industry hurting? Is there money to be made in this field? What are some other career options in the skin care industry besides esthetician that may require a bachelor's degree? I really love skin care, but I don't want to take the leap of getting my esthetics license only to end up not making enough mone.

EducatedEsthetician in California

35 months ago

Is the esthetics industry hurting? Yes. Is there money to be made in this field? Yes.

It just like walking past restaurants ... some are thriving, some aren't.

Are you successful at having your hair clients return to you and purchase the hair care products you recommend? If yes, then chances are you'll probably be able to develop a thriving skin care clientele.

EE

Sri in Columbia, South Carolina

20 months ago

Hi,
I graduated 4 months ago from Esthetics school. I never search anything about esthetics field before I went to school. I have over 8 years experience working at the spa business in overseas before. I thought That will be a good experience, but it doesn't work so well.
I tried to apply for so many esthetician job. It Seems very hard to find a job in this field. Most of the spa they pay commission base only.
I get no where with my career.
I wish I knew before, so I can use my money to go to medical school.
I suggest DON'T DO IT! Better go to medical career for better future!

src@spabizboard in San Rafael, California

16 months ago

I have been a working esthetician for 13 years, as a former spa owner and a solo esthetician. In my opinion, the field of esthetics is booming. But it changes quite often. For example, clinical esthetics is becoming more lucrative as people turn away from the expensive and agressive dermatology treatments and seek less expensive and less invasive esthetic treatments. Working women no longer have time for 90 minute relaxing facials, so they want quickie 30-minute peels so day spas are suffering.

The biggest problem for a new esthetician is that very often the schools only teach you enough to pass your state exam so you come out of school unprepared. Go to a trade show in your area, if you possibly can. They are inexpensive and you will get a real feel for this business. It's actually quite awesome.

Stylist-To-Be in Charleston, South Carolina

16 months ago

src@spabizboard in San Rafael, California said: I have been a working esthetician for 13 years, as a former spa owner and a solo esthetician. In my opinion, the field of esthetics is booming. But it changes quite often. For example, clinical esthetics is becoming more lucrative as people turn away from the expensive and agressive dermatology treatments and seek less expensive and less invasive esthetic treatments. Working women no longer have time for 90 minute relaxing facials, so they want quickie 30-minute peels so day spas are suffering.

The biggest problem for a new esthetician is that very often the schools only teach you enough to pass your state exam so you come out of school unprepared. Go to a trade show in your area, if you possibly can. They are inexpensive and you will get a real feel for this business . It's actually quite awesome.

Src@spabizboard in San Rafael...can you elaborate more on specifics about how you are able to make it as a solo esthetician? What are some suggestions and tips you can offer? That is my goal - to have a private esty practice :) I have a very successful business background and am looking for a change in a rewarding field that is also far less stressful. However, I'm finding a lack of solo estys in the marketplace. I'm thinking of adding electrolysis to my practice as well. Any advice you can give is GREATLY appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

src@spabizboard in Rancho Cordova, California

16 months ago

I have tons of advice for you, as this is my very favorite subject! But it's a bit too much to post here. I am just about to publish a book on this subject. It will be inexpensive, downloadable and has very specific steps about exactly what you are asking, such as client development, client retention, how to write your menu, how to customize your services to fit today's women who don't have much time for a 90 minute facial, and who want results. It's actually simple stuff, but we have not been taught well. We have been advised by people who either don't understand how different the esthetics business is from all other businesses, or the advice we have gotten has not evolved with the times since the days when "esthetics" was just a steam and cream facial given by a cosmetologist in a hair salon. Now it is a specialty. The main point is that our business is extremely personal and intimate. We have half-naked women in what looks to them a lot like a bed. We remove their makeup and examine them with a mag lamp and see all of their flaws. It's intimidating and personal and it's unlike any other profession. So we need to change everything about the way we have been taught to market ourselves. Being successful in this business is not about being the SuperCuts of skin care. It is about the relationships we have with clients and that begins from the first time you meet a prospective client in or out of the treatment room.

I will soon be doing a webinar on the ASCP website and I am speaking on this topic at the International Congress of Esthetics in Long Beach CA in September. These are free events. And my book will be available in a couple of weeks. You can watch for it at SpaBizBoard.com.

experienced esthetician in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

4 months ago

Kriss in Totowa, New Jersey said: I am signing up for school tomorrow to be an esthetician . I am nervous with the economy.
How is business for you?
Thanks

It's the best career I've chosen tons of jobs in Chicago with great pay. So many opportunities it's hard to choose I literally fax a resume and receive a call back the next day most freelance jobs start $25-30 an hour same pay as most nurses starting out. Best 8 ever spent on schooling I've had great jobs in this city. The opportunities are endless my friend runs her own Waxing business makes $500 a day

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

experienced esthetician in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

4 months ago

experienced esthetician in Elk Grove Village, Illinois said: It's the best career I've chosen tons of jobs in Chicago with great pay. So many opportunities it's hard to choose I literally fax a resume and receive a call back the next day most freelance jobs start $25-30 an hour same pay as most nurses starting out. Best 8 ever spent on schooling I've had great jobs in this city. The opportunities are endless my friend runs her own Waxing business makes $500 a day

The most important thing is sales in this business if u can't sell you won't make it wherever I worked I sell up sell of anywhere between 30 50k a month my background in jewelry sales really helped when u go for interview let them know u can sell put it on ur resume

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.