Is it just me, or are the majority of female estheticians/cosmetologists superficial and catty?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

tomboy-ish in San Diego, California

39 months ago

Hi,
I've recently been considering going to esthetician school to obtain my license. I am passionate about skincare and helping people, and I feel like having a career in helping with their skin issues, insecurities, etc. would be really fulfilling.

However, I've noticed that a lot of estheticians (and people in the beauty industry in general) seem to be more judgemental and superficial than most, and many girls I've met in this particular line of work are quite catty and drama prone. I'm definitely not saying ALL of them are, but I've gone to quite a few estheticians, hairdressers, etc. where I've had to sit through passive aggressive confrontations at salons between employees, or where I've had to listen to a lot of smack talking about other women. It's either that, or their conversations with me have for the most part, been very forced. I also toured a local beauty academy recently where I received many judgmental stares from current students in a fashion that made me feel like I was in high school all over again.

I grew up as a bit of a tomboy and at 23 years old, I still don't feel that comfortable being surrounded by women. I'm worried that working in the beauty industry, I just won't fit in with my future classmates, coworkers, clients, etc. because I don't relate to women when it comes to hobbies and interests, other than skincare. I've been told all my life I'm cute/pretty, feminine-looking, and I have great skin. But personality-wise, I'm worried I'm just not cut out for a career in beauty.

I want to get into skincare mainly because I want to help people. My mom suffered from insecurities with her dark spots for the past 25 years and recently received an amazing skin treatment at a dermatology office which made her so happy that it gave me the idea of getting into this business. I want to either work at a dermatology office, or for a skincare company, since I'm a product junkie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.