Laser hair removal technician

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

marlo in Cedar City, Utah

63 months ago

I am not an esthetican. But am looking into to going to school solely for the purpose of doing laser hair removal only. Can you do this in Utah or am I required to go through esthetician school even though I have no interest in anything other than laser hair removal? Thanks all advice appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in San Antonio, Texas

52 months ago

I am a state certified laser technician, and I cant find a job anywhere! I do not have an esthetician license; and it seems everywhere I apply they only want nurses or estheticians. Although the classes needed to obtain a state certification as a laser technician are fairly cheap, anyone considering doing this as a profession should be advised that is extremely difficult to find a job in this field unless you are also a nurse or esthetician. I wish someone would have informed me of this before I wasted my money getting certified in laser hair removal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Nara in Miami, Florida

45 months ago

Don't waste your time and money on this. A lot of places want nurse practioner and physician assistant because of medical liability. Waste of money wish I could get it back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jess in Phoenix, Arizona

44 months ago

Here is Phoenix laser is a booming business and you are only required to have a certification thru ARRA. But its different everywhere you go. Its always a good idea to email medspas and other businesses that practice laser procedures and have them give you some of the qualifications they are looking for. I also did that when I was looking for a school to go to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Phoenix, Arizona

44 months ago

jess in Phoenix, Arizona said: Here is Phoenix laser is a booming business and you are only required to have a certification thru ARRA. But its different everywhere you go. Its always a good idea to email medspas and other businesses that practice laser procedures and have them give you some of the qualifications they are looking for. I also did that when I was looking for a school to go to.

Im looking into taking a course to become a laser technician in AZ. I was wondering if you are one and if you could give me any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David Ontracy in Bangalore, India

42 months ago

I have completed aesthetics diploma and i am planning to do some advanced course. What is your opinion about laser technician? Any good recommendations in Toronto? Going through the threads here, i knew someone talking about www.cestarcollege.com/. I am living in Toronto so if that option is good, then it would be easier for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Mansfield, Texas

40 months ago

Michelle in San Antonio, Texas said: I am a state certified laser technician, and I cant find a job anywhere! I do not have an esthetician license; and it seems everywhere I apply they only want nurses or estheticians. Although the classes needed to obtain a state certification as a laser technician are fairly cheap, anyone considering doing this as a profession should be advised that is extremely difficult to find a job in this field unless you are also a nurse or esthetician. I wish someone would have informed me of this before I wasted my money getting certified in laser hair removal.

I am in your same shoes. I loved my training and was very excited to change careers. My school was not cheap and I feel like I was misled. Very very frustrating and career changers beware

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

kac2305 in Austin, Texas

37 months ago

Michelle in San Antonio, Texas said: I am a state certified laser technician, and I cant find a job anywhere! I do not have an esthetician license; and it seems everywhere I apply they only want nurses or estheticians. Although the classes needed to obtain a state certification as a laser technician are fairly cheap, anyone considering doing this as a profession should be advised that is extremely difficult to find a job in this field unless you are also a nurse or esthetician. I wish someone would have informed me of this before I wasted my money getting certified in laser hair removal.[I'm an Esthetician and I'm considering taking a laser hair removal course at my community college. What's your opinion in my prospects in finding a job if I get certified?]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kac2305 in Austin, Texas

37 months ago

Laura in Mansfield, Texas said: I am in your same shoes. I loved my training and was very excited to change careers. My school was not cheap and I feel like I was misled. Very very frustrating and career changers beware

I'm re posting my question b/c you can't see it. I'm an Ethetician and I'm considering taking a laser hair removal course at my community college. What's your opinion on finding a job if I get certified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kac2305 in Austin, Texas

37 months ago

Tiffany05bell in Dallas, Texas said: Hello!

I'm a licensed esthetician and want to look into becoming a laser hair removal technician, I spoke to a admissions rep at ATI in dallas about visiting the school to see if I like it, is there anyone who is a certified laser hair removal tech and what are the pros and cons about it? does it pay good? The class I want to take is two weeks full time certifying me in laser hair removal, IPL, skin tightening, cellulite treatments, spider vein removal, and a few more,. I have a new baby and am looking for something to make a decent living for both of us.. any advice?

Have you received any feed back to your questions? Just wondering if anything has changed being that it's now 2013.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lcarbutt in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

Anyone out there in the Phoenix area who can comment on whether prospects have gotten better for job opportunities for aesthetic laser techs? I feel that the laser schools are really trying to paint a rosy picture of the industry, that it's booming and it was recession-proof, but if the market is saturated with laser techs who can't get jobs, that certainly doesn't help. I'm not an aesthetician so I'm wary of putting out around $10,000 on two weeks of laser school if I'm just going to get stone-walled when I go to look for a job. I'm outgoing, but I'm not a 'salesperson' by any means, and that worries me in that I wouldn't be able to sell myself properly. Comments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Raydence in Columbus, Georgia

31 months ago

This post was so interesting that I had to comment. I am in school to become an Esthetician and I am very excited about the outcome. As far as jobs goes it has changed in the past year since appearance is everything to people now so it depends on what avenue you choose to take with acquiring laser certifications. I have done my research for my area,from the use of social media a lot of plastic surgeon and dermatologist offices are looking for estheticians. You may also need ask yourself would you be willing to relocate to profit off your time spent and investments to obtain that certification. I mean you invested your time and money for a reason...If you have it USE IT even if that means relocation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruth in Phoenix, Arizona

31 months ago

jess in Phoenix, Arizona said: Here is Phoenix laser is a booming business and you are only required to have a certification thru ARRA. But its different everywhere you go. Its always a good idea to email medspas and other businesses that practice laser procedures and have them give you some of the qualifications they are looking for. I also did that when I was looking for a school to go to.

DON'T GO TO LASER SCHOOL WITHOUT HAVING YOUR ESTHETICIANS LICENSES. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FIND WORK AND EMPLOYMENT IS NEXT TO NOTHING IN SPAS FOR LASER HAIR REMOVAL. NEED MORE EDUCATION PERIOD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

amy pham in TX in Spring, Texas

25 months ago

laser hair remover is very expensive course for one week. i agree with Ruth that if you dont have Estheticians license dont go for that. You need to get your esthtician first and after that you have to find a job in that field for awhile and after you have all experience and connection and you can moving on for laser tech. I have Esthe license for two years already but i havent find a good job. At first, i work for massage envy. i get pay by commission only 15 $ per client, sometime if i dont have any client for that day i make no money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tbrandon in Houston, Texas

24 months ago

Tbrandon in Houston, Texas said: [QUOTE who="Tbrandon in Houston, A Licensed Aesthetician in Texas since 2007, started employment with Laser Hair Removal Company in 2008 as Tech. with No prior Experience. I went through training with them and recieved a Certification on Laser as well as Microdermabrasion and IPL. I have Managed a Wellnes Spa for a few years and since have become an Independent Aesthetic Consultant and Continue to Treat Clients other than Laser and IPL. I have decided to return back to Medical Aesthetics to obtain a Salary with a Company directly for Medical Benefits and Cont Edu. Purposes. I have recently been inquiring of New Mandated Laws and have been having difficulty finding the answers I needed. I have concluded, I am with in the Law to give Injections and use Lasers,IPL etc. on Clients as long as I'm treating under a MD directly and a Employee of that Company. I would skip the Aesthetician Certification and go directly for the Laser Certification. A Surgical Tech or Medical Assistant Certification, would give a direct Medical Training in the Med Spa Industry. A Medical Assistant can give Injection, and have an Advantage over any Applicant with a Aesthetic Cert. A Surgical Tech is Percise for Cosmetic Surgery Centers, not to mention both have quality of a Fall back career if need be. If you are set on obtaining the Aesthetician Cert. than look into Community College and save 8k. Tech Schools are Overpriced and Sometimes Carry a bad name. Job placement should be offered through any Tech Prog. you attend once Completed. Those who struggle to find Employment, don't give up. Look into Spa Coordinating, Medical Front Office & Sales and more in larger Commercial Med Spa Companies that are Franchised with MD names behind them. They like New Certified Individuals so you are Trained first out the gate with ambition. A Strong Sales Background is also a Advantage and Sadly, this is a Cut Throat Field because Technology continues to Advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

S B in San Antonio, Texas

22 months ago

Would be INTRESTED in starting your own home or salon laser hair removal business
Please contact me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Hi!
I forgot the word would you be INTRESTED in starting own home/salon based laser hair removal business with very small capital
I can guide you !

22 months ago

Hi!
If you are lookng to start your own home/salon based laser hair removal business with very small capital that I can guide you!you would be very surprised that it is very not that difficult

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie Ray

21 months ago

Im looking to start my own hair removal business please contact me!!

SB in San Antonio, Texas

21 months ago

Hi!
Carrie Ray, please let me have your e mail address and which state are based

Kim C. in Grapevine, Texas

19 months ago

kac2305 in Austin, Texas said:

yes, I feel the same way.. I really don't want to dish out the money or time getting an esthetician license, but Im not sure what to do. Nobody wants to give you a break with just certification from the state for laser hair removal.

MedSpaGirl in Carmel, Indiana

9 months ago

If you are reading this and considering becoming a medical esthetician/laser tech please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for a career!! I passionately wanted to get into this business and spent $20k for my esthetic and laser school education . Lured in by the idea of a glamourous job with lots of beauty perks I thought I could work my way into a $60k income within a couple years . Boy was I wrong !!!
First off as a newbie IF you find a job in an established med spa (I did) they take advantage of you and pay you either commission only or minimum wage since you are learning on the job. You will be lucky to get 20 hours a week to start and since they want you to sign a non compete you can't find another part time job doing the same thing somewhere else or risk losing the first job.

Once you have some experience (2-4 years) under your belt you can command $12-15 per hour on the average plus commission and tips . Hours are usually still part time, maybe 24-30. Unless the commission split is high you don't make much on treatments and in many med spas clients don't tip!!! Unlike day spas med spas are in dr offices and patients don't expect to tip for services rendered. So bottom line you will only make a little bit overly your hourly wage.

There are no benefits, no paid days off, no job security in this line of work. Employers routinely try to screw you out of commissions and omit hours or tips earned in your check. You are constantly pressured to sell high priced services to clients but given very little incentive to do so. You do get discounts on products and services for yourself but if you are like me and rather actually get paid for working, the beauty perks don't matter after a while.
Lastly if you have morals you get tired of selling people treatments that just don't work. I've never seen anything other than laser hair removal that actually works. Even IPL results are temporary at best. It's a low paying thankless job - please don't do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara Houston

3 months ago

S B in San Antonio, Texas said: Hi!
I forgot the word would you be INTRESTED in starting own home/salon based laser hair removal business with very small capital
I can guide you !

I would be very interested. Please email me at sarahamm23@gmail.com

Sara Houston

3 months ago

I am interested in starting my own business please email me!

Unounvmee in York, Pennsylvania

3 months ago

S B in San Antonio, Texas said: Hi!
If you are lookng to start your own home/salon based laser hair removal business with very small capital that I can guide you!you would be very surprised that it is very not that difficult

Hi, I am interested in finding out how to open up my own business, please email me at
unounvmee@gmail.com

Brandie Luft in Danbury, Connecticut

2 months ago

Sara Houston said: I would be very interested. Please email me at sarahamm23@gmail.com

Please email me how to start my own laser business have just certification. Email brandie63@juno.com

Thanks!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.