Medical Esthetician Questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Katiebeegee in Springfield, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Hi everyone, I have gone through a lot of the posts on this board to get as much info as possible so as not to repeat any already asked and answered questions. So I apologize if I am repeating anything! To start off, I am very interested in skincare, but I don't want to wax and do facials. I am more interested in medical esthetics, such as microdermabrasion, chemical peels, laser hair removal etc. I live in the suburbs near Philadelphia and the most hours the schools near here will give you for their esthetician program is 300. So I would have to become licensed and then take additional classes at places like The Laser Institute and The International Dermal Institute. Before even looking in person at schools, I've looked into how many jobs are actually out there in my area for medical estheticians. There really aren't many...at all. So I have a couple questions - 1) First off, is it even worth it to spend money on training in the hope that a job will come along? and 2) If I did decide to proceed with schooling, would an esthetician's license and additional courses suffice? Or should I look into a school that offers something like 600 hours instead? I have looked extensively into schools in my area and as I said, the most hours offered is 300, so I would need to relocate. Would that be worth it? Oh, and lastly, I have scars from years of cystic acne. Would this be a hindrance in working in the skin care field? I know as soon as someone tells you they're a hair stylist, you look at their hair. And I'm just worried I wouldn't be taken as seriously because I don't have the best skin myself. Sorry this was so long, I really appreciate any feedback anyone can offer me. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.