No Experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

norcal4 in Sacramento, California

85 months ago

I'm looking for a position in North Carolina (license is transferring) but am running into "Sorry, you don't have experience."

So how do I get experience if no one is willing to give me a chance? It's quite frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

the facial room in La Mirada, California

85 months ago

When you were in school did you spend any time on the student clinic floor providing skin care services to paying clients? If yes, than you have some experience. For example, when I was in esthetics school we were put onto the clinic floor after one month and a mock board. We were on the clinic floor taking paying clients and provided all kinds of services from basic facials to advanced facials using electrical modalities, including microdermabarsion, as well as waxing,makeup, skin analyisis and consulting for five months or more. (until we finished our program requirments)I kept track of all my clients and the services I provided. Which was way more than what was required to graduate. I ended up have well over 118 clients while doing my internship. If you were out on the clinic floor provided services to paying clients while in school you did an internship and you have experience. Do not sell youself short on experience. It is all how you present yourself on your resume. I have a resume service just for estheticians and I can tell you everyone sells themself short. It is all you present yourself on that resume. Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

the facial room in La Mirada, California

85 months ago

When you were in school, did you spend any time on the student clinic floor providing skin care services to paying clients? If yes, than you have some experience. For example, when I was in esthetics school we were put onto the clinic floor after one month and a mock board. We were on the clinic floor taking paying clients and provided all kinds of services from basic facials to advanced facials using electrical modalities, including microdermabrasion, as well as waxing, makeup, skin analysis, and consulting for five months or more. (Until we finished our program requirements) I kept track of all my clients and the services I provided. Which was much more than what was required to graduate? I ended up have well over 118 clients while doing my internship. If you were out on the clinic floor provided services to paying clients while in school you did an internship and you have experience. Do not sell yourself short on experience. It is all how you present yourself on your resume. I have a resume service just for estheticians and I can tell you everyone sells them self short. It is how you present yourself on that resume. Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

norcal4 in Sacramento, California

85 months ago

Thank you Susan! I did take a lot of clients -- I did more eyebrows/microderms/peels than I can count. Your post really makes me feel better :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kriss in Bloomfield, New Jersey

85 months ago

that was great advice. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

microdermabrasion in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

83 months ago

Yes, if you have done any clinical work in your school program, then you have some experience. We have a huge spa opening up in Myrtle Beach not far from NC that is hiring aestheticians called North Beach Plantation.

Nicole in Northridge, California in Granada Hills, California

76 months ago

I recieved my lic 4 years ago as well (i've forgotten the exact motions and skills that i learned then) but decided to go back to college because wherever i applied to they wanted 2-4 years experience. I would love to be an esthetician, but the few years of experience part is quite frusterating. I dont know what to do

Nicole

Izleys in Hanover Park, Illinois

47 months ago

Newly licensed In IL. I'm having no luck finding a job or even receiving a reply to my resumes. I have 15 years experience in the corporate world. I graduated from my esthetics program with honors at the top of my class & passed my State Boards with a high score as well. I've had my resume professionally prepared & I included all of the services I performed in school to showcase some experience. I've also been mentoring at a medical spa (that's the field I want to go into) to continue my education along with taking classes at two esthetic institutes. I have a lot of experience with Dermalogica & I'm certified in PCA line as well. I've enclosed each resume in a nice portfolio and had each one shipped w/ delivery confirmation to ensure receipt. Yet, nothing! I've only been looking for two months but I've mailed/e-mailed 10 resumes in that time. I'm trying to remain optimistic though in hindsight, I think my "state of the art" school could've done much to prepare us but nothing can be done about that. Why is it so hard to get started in this field? Seems impossible to catch a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

graceriley in Florida

47 months ago

Being fresh out of school and in search of a job is frustrating when most spa owners will not even look at your resume. I believe this is a failure with our esthetic schools, I wish they would foster a better relationship with community spas to help get students internships and future jobs. You can't get experience if you can't get your foot in the door. If you are lucky enough to go to a school that offers job placement well you have it made! If not, you have to start thinking creatively to figure out how to get around this obstacle. The best bet is to have an outstanding resume. Delete items that are not related to esthetics or the spa industry. Secondly, while you are waiting on an esthetics job, apply to work in a spa as anything from receptionist to spa coordinator. Just get the experience on your resume. Keep taking post graduate classes, and while doing that network with the esthetics teachers at this courses and with other esthetics. Sometimes the best jobs come about via word of mouth. Next, consider sending out resumes blindly to many area spas/salons with a professional cover letter stating that you would like to be considered for an "on call esthetician" position. If there esthetician on staff gets sick, or goes away for a vacation they call you to replace her. While it is not the ideal job, it helps you get valuable experience. Remember to always include a picture of yourself with your resume also.
Grace Riley
Jump Start Your Esthetics Career: A Guide For Newly Licensed Estheticians

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Grace, it is such a failure with our schools. I thought I went to one of the best there is but they do so little to prepare you for the real world. So much flashy talk about all the things that can be done with our license but it would've helped to have career days with actual estheticians from different fields (salon/medical/self-owned, etc) come in and talk to students about their career paths & obstacles. Hosting job fairs & recruitment days toward the end of the program would've helped tremendously. I have a friend who attended beauty school in San Francisco & landed a job two weeks after school because of the jobs fairs hosted. My resume lists my work history because it demonstrates what other abilities I can bring to the spa (administrative, training etc). I'm in my 30's so if I removed all of that, my resume would look dismal at best. I've applied for other positions as you suggested & networking when taking classes. I've established some good contacts just none hiring. Of the ten resumes I've sent out so far, only two were hiring so I'm all about the blind send just so they have it one file for future reference. I haven't done the "on call esthetician" position, being a newbie I'm not sure they would allow it but thank you for the idea!

I haven't included pics because I've always read/heard that's a no-no & a sure way to have your resume trashed. This came from a highly accredited Esthetics Director & several physicians so I've never done that.

graceriley in Florida

47 months ago

Izleys in Illinois,
It sounds like what you are doing isn't working.

Izleys-what does it hurt to try a different job hunting approach if what you are doing isn't working? I would say instead of being negative ( I don't say this to be offensive) and find all the reasons you can't find a job, start changing your perspective and think of all the reasons why employers would want to hire you.

Why is your picture important? It shows your beautiful skin (important in esthetics), how professional you are and it will make you stand out from crowd.

Why is it important to consider an "on call" position? The better question is why not? It sounded like from your post that before you even tried to find an on-call position, that you already gave up on it. Walk into all your area spas with your resume in hand, and introduce yourself to the spa manager and let them know you will consider an on-call position.

Also, I would consider having a professional review your resume. I can't say without seeing it whether or not it needs to be tweaked. If you want to e-mail it to me at: gracerileypublishing@gmail.com I will be happy to take a look at it.

Don't give up before you even started. I am writing a new blog this week about an esthetician friend of mine, she has severe learning disabilities and not only did she get through school and get her license, but she landed two different esthetics positions. In addition, this girl had severe acne when she started in esthetics. And she made it!

Grace Riley Esthetics
Author of JumpStart Your Esthetics Career: A Guide for Newly Licensed Estheticians

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Thanks Grace. I think what I was trying to do in esthetics was not working for me because it wasn't supposed to. After speaking with my circle of trusted esthetician mentors across the nation, I've decided to take a new approach. Truthfully, the starting pay for estheticians is too low for me to live on. I just can't do it after working in a high paying job for 15 years in the corporate world. So, I've decided to turn my side-job into a full time business.

Amazingly, I made the decision last week & placed an ad on 10/22/12. I had several inquires the following day & jumped right into researching their businesses, drafting up an hour long presentation including package options and contract terms customized to each client & held several conference calls today closing four of those deals (so far) this evening. Now, I can work from home, set my own pay & draft my own terms to quickly get back to my old salary which is what I need to do. As far as esthetics goes, I'll continue writing my blogs and web column for now & of course, continue to take classes when I have time.

Something I've noticed, there are quite a few estheticians (like yourself) writing 'How To' guides (ever hear of The Esthetician Mentor?) to supplement their incomes as estheticians. Think the reason is obvious, there is no real money to be made in the field. I know plenty of successful esty's working for 10+ years barely making 60k. Pretty sad considering the work involved. A friend launched her own business and makeup line right of school because she knew there was no money to be made in this field. Her business is very successful today, but she built on her own terms from the ground up. Funny, I was unable to land a job in skincare making nothing but heading into the direction it seems I'm meant to go is falling into place like dominoes with endless earning potential.

Guess I was just doing it wrong.

Thanks again.

Take care Grace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

graceriley in Florida

47 months ago

Izleys,
Congratulations on your new career path. I hope you have a lot of success and happiness from this new journey. It sounds like you have found your passion.

Grace Riley
Grace Riley Esthetics

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

faladdu in Mckinney, Texas

46 months ago

Izleys, which school did you go to? I also went to school in IL. And no luck finding a job either. Share your blog with us!

46 months ago

I went to Pivot Point. I had researched & attended many other schools but none compared to what I had read up on regarding PP. Plus, I know many successful alumni from Pivot & that impressed me too. However, most of the super successful alumni are all in the hair industry besides one esthetician. I had asked if I could sit in & observe a class before committing to attending but I was told no, that would be too distracting. Having attended, I realize that probably wasn't the reason. If I had to do it all again, I might've opted for an esthetics only school. My blog is BeautySchoolDropN@wordpress.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Sorry, that should be beautyschooldropn.wordpress.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carsonandgray@*****.*** in San Francisco, California

39 months ago

Hi, I'm in the process of doing practical's at a salons. I'm fresh out of school and I'm not sure about some things that have been discussed in my interviews. They talked about 50/50 commission base, mentioned I would be responsible for generating new business and managing all aspects of treatments and supplies. The product is paid for, but I'm responsible for laundry. So, the way I understood was I would probably have walk in clients for waxing and about 4 facials from a groupon daily. How do I know this is accurate, also do you sign contracts? She she'd help supply customer's but I was responsible for client retention. It sounds okay but I'm not sure. She is using interesting treatments and is knowledgeable Help please

graceriley in Florida

39 months ago

carsonandgray in CA-

A 50/5 split means if a service is $60.00 you get $30.00 and the owner gets $30.00. My preference is the 50/50 split because I like to earn more per hour, but if you don't have an extra income coming in (from spouse etc.) you might want to work at a place that pays you per hour. If there are no clients, they still pay you but generally expect you to help out in administrative tasks in the salon to cover that per hour salary. When owners talk about "generating new business" it means that you should actively network with people and let them know what services you offer, in addition, you would try to generate new services to existing clients. For example, if you have a client that comes in for waxings only you could let them know about the facial serivces etc. The owners want estheticians to do more than just sit and wait for clients to come in, and they want you to try to generate new business. It is a mutually beneficial goal for you and your boss to generate new business because that is more money in your pocket. "Client retention" is expected by all spas, that means they want you to pamper and treat your client like she/he is the only client so she/he will come back for another service. Being responsible for laundry and cleaning up your supplies varies from spa-to-spa, the bigger spas have people who clean up for you, but smaller ones expect you to do that yourself.
One point about Groupon services, this is just from my own experience and from talking to other people in the industry, but "Groupon Junkies" are just that--most don't come back for a second service. They are usually looking for the next best deal. I do not use coupon type of services with my business. It is a great way to get a flood of activity, but some of that activity I don't want. Think about it in terms of the 50/50 split, if your spa runs a Groupon for a 60 min. facial at $20.00---you realize you only get $10.00 for that service.
www.facebook.com/grace.riley.5

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

carsonandgray@*****.*** in Oakland, California

39 months ago

Thanks so much for your help! I was thinking the same thing too.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.