RN Nurse or Esthetician?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 626)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Karla in Bay Shore, New York

82 months ago

I'm undecided about becoming a RN nurse or esthetician. I love learning about skin care but doing my research and from word of mouth a RN nurse has a much higher pay. I need advice from an expertise. Should I do both and see where the two programs can get me in my career or just go straight to one of the programs because it would be a waste of time and money to do both?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (182) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Mount Dora, Florida

82 months ago

Hi Karla,
I'm a former NY'er, same area, Dix Hills, Huntington. Anyway, I have an aesthetics license in FL, had a salon for over 10 years etc. Go for the RN. Aestetics is a much lower pay, they offer commission rather than a secure salary a lot down here, hard to find a full time, and stay busy full time. The rn will also get you higher pay as the years go on. DO IT. It's the best way.
Marie
Orlando/FL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

SkinSavvy in Stanton, Nebraska

82 months ago

I am a current esthetician and plan to start nursing school in the fall (RN). I want to be able to practice advanced esthetic practices and in my state you have to at least be a nurse to even touch a laser. My vote is to do both, but check with your state board and see what your options are. RN Will be steady money..which I need. However, plan to practice esthetics too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MacRN in Downers Grove, Illinois

81 months ago

I have a bachelors degree in nursing and I just finished Esthethics school. I am working with a plastic surgeon right now and I administer Botox. An esthetician cannot do that. Having a license as a nurse allows me to do that under doctors orders,Its like working in a hospital and the doctor tells me to give pain medication IM. Esthetics school is something you can do after you finish nursing school and work as a nurse. Pay is a big difference as well, as a nurse esthetician, I am able to command my salary, because I am able to take the burden of my surgeon, instead of him administering Botox, I do it. In turn he is able to do consults, do Surgical procedures while I am making him more money on the side. You dont even have to go to esthethics school. Just look for a plastic surgeon and have him "grandfather" you in and learn that way. The RN gives you flexibility and mucho dinero baby. If you still can't figure out what to do first let me break it down for you. As a nurse I paid for esthethics school in cash.I do not owe anything. I go after work and since theres a nursing shortage my employers give in to my schedule, I have a lot of contacts(i work in surgery). Esthethics school was a breeze, cause lets face it its more technical that clinical. I don't think you can do that as an esthetician. Your hours would be 9-5, you'll have to quit to finish nursing school, it would be just a mess. I hope you have somebody to help you in this decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (112) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

MacRN in Downers Grove, Illinois

81 months ago

I have a RN/BSN. I need my RN license to administer any medication, Like BOTOX. If you want to learn how, with out the free help of a plastic surgeon, you could attend weekend seminars for BOTOX, it costs around 1200$. Laser skin care is a technical course. My friend who is an RN too, learned how to do it by attending the seminar, and now she's a sales rep for the machine. Hard work in this field will bring you 6 figures, especially if you own your own business. But not having to get up at 5 am for a 7 Am start and be rushed for a 7:30 surgery start is priceless. You could be the one who rushes people. Whoopee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

SarahRN in Cleveland, Ohio

81 months ago

So how did you find a surgeon who was willing to teach you? Just happened to be in the right place at the right time? I'm interested. Did your friend attend the Candela laser seminar? I've been looking at stuff all day. I love ICU nursing in some senses dont get me wrong... But sometimes I just want to take care of someone who has a problems, fixed, discharged. Not twelve hours or pressors, blood products and ventilators. Aside from that I think that the laser seems to nuture a somewhat creative side. If you have anything else to add or advice I'd love to hear it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

81 months ago

Michelle in Alzey, Germany said: She is right. I am a LVN in RN school, I thought about going to Esthetics School first before finishing my RN. But I did research an decided it would be better to get my RN first then got to esthetician school later. You will never be without a job as a nurse. Even as a LVN I have made $28-30 an hour working agency and you can not make that as an esthetician until you have established you client base.

I agree. Being an RN first is what I would recommend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jennie osgood in Hamilton, Texas

81 months ago

need info on botox admin for RNs in tx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ICU nurse too in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Hey I wish I had advice for you. I am an ICU nurse as well. So how did you go about finding this place and getting the interview? What is it that they want to train you for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota

79 months ago

Don't be foolish and do both. The pay and job market is much higher for the nursing degree. For starters alot of esthetician position are around eight dollars an hour, or completely commission. You can do the LPN program as well and apply with Dermatologists, as well as plastic surgeons. There tend to be more openings, and better pay at this end. You also could apply at Destination and or Medical Spas with a nursing degree. First step first is that in order to get the RN degree you must first do the LPN. I know of the only LPN Online Program in the United States. East Grand Forks, Minnesota (Technical College,) offers it. I believe it starts in January...you need to have a basic computer class to get in. The other thing with apply at Resort spas and what not is that alot of the body treatments are done by their Massage Therapists. Know this! I wanted to do cellulite treatments and found out while I was in the middle of my Esthetician training that the Massage Therapists, (CMT, or MT,) do them. I should have gone to massage school instead to do the job that I wanted. However Massage isn't always regulated in all states. Check with your state for information. I'm a fountain of information at this end. When I went to school I drove my career counselor crazy...as well as stumping my teacher with questions she couldn't answer. I also wrote up spa information that none of the counselors, teachers or director knew about and gave to the School Director and she implemented them into the next years schooling curriculmn. So that's it for now folks!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

SarahRN in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

So I already am an RN but would like to do lasers... are you at all familiar with this and/or how to go about it??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota

79 months ago

I'm not. I would check with the state board of licensing, and your local board of Doctors...dermatology, surgeons. Ask where they would recommend you go. There are some hospitals that will reimburse you for schooling or pay for classes/training to enhance...yourself, and them. Find nurses who do it and ask questions. Seek and you shall find. I don't know how much I helped.... Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sharal in Orlando, Florida

79 months ago

Hi, I have a question for Marie (in Mount Dora) or anyone else..I'm an RN/BSN interested in getting into the medical esthetics field in Orlando. Any suggestions??? I've heard that it is not possible as an RN in Florida. Is this true?? Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Upland, California

79 months ago

I have been and Esthetician for about a year. The money isnt what i expected so i was interested in going to school to be and RN/ADN. Are there many jobs avaliable to RN/ADN in the cosmetic feild and is they pay good?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Brainerd, Minnesota

79 months ago

I would say that it would be better. Destination & Medical Resorts. Try Dermatologists, and surgeons. You can search all day on spas. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Summer in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

Hey this messsage is for Sarah,
I am also a RN that works in the ICU. I would love to get into laser,botox,etc. The ICU is alright but frankly this is definately not something that I want to stay in. Have you found any info regarding classes or such. Please let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in North Augusta, South Carolina

79 months ago

Hey, I also have my Bachelors in Nursing and have been an Esthetician for over 8 years. RN's make a ton more money and you are able to do anything with your license under a doctors orders such as: administering Botox, Fillers, Medical Chemical peels, Medical Microdermabrasions, Laser treatments, eye lash extensions, permanent makeup, even body peircing not to mention basic nursing care. I worked in a spa for several years and got so bored after a while because what you are able to do with your license is minimal. As a RN you are able to find a job any where in the world in any area. Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

SarahRN in Cleveland, Ohio said: MacRN I hope you still check this because I have a few questions!! I live in Ohio so it might be different but I am currently an RN in Medical/Surgical Intensive Care. I've been looking for programs with the dual MBA/NP programs but what I had wanted to go into was laser skin care. However, I've heard there are nurses doing it with thier BSN's. I just can't find or get ahold of someone who actually does. I would love to find a plastic surgeon to grandfather me in for now to at least see if I like it. Or possibly keep my ICU nursing part time as well as in office. How did you start? Where did you begin? And I have to ask what's the pay like? You would also be able to answer what requirements would an RN BSN need to be able to administer BOTOX? Thanks so much!

Hey, I am an BSN, RN and esthetician. I currently work for a plastic surgeon and have also worked for laser centers in the past. In most states RN's are able to perform Laser treatments and Botox, Fillers etc. The laws usually require the Physician to consult the patient first especially for Botox, (sometimes even mark the patient first) and almost always the physician has to be on site, but not direct supervision for lasers. Where do you begin? Well, I do think it helped me get my feet in the door because I have years of skin care experience as an esthetician. You have a major advantage as well since you have ICU experience. I would apply to as many Physicians offices that offer the services you are interested in. Most Doctors love for RN's to do these types of treatments especially Laser treatments, because it makes them $$$ while they are free to do other treatments. Good luck!! The pay is not quite as high as hospital jobs because you usually do not work overtime, nights, weekends, but it is usually $23-35 an hour (I live in SC) working 9-5 mon-fri

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

Hey so I'm very interested. Were you able to do all of that in the spa? Did you make an RN salary while working in the spa??? What do you do now. I would really like to get into adminerstering BOTOX and doing lasers as well I cannot find anyone who actually does it though to really ask them the ins and outs?!?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Sycamore, Illinois

79 months ago

After esthetician training and RN, would the jobs be limited in this area?
As far as I know there aren't too many cosmetic surgeons around here. Would they hire RN Esthetician? What about pay scale?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

As an RN you would be able to work in any state as long as you filled out the appropriate paper work and payed money for a license in another state, because you will have your degree (look at your local state board website (ex: South Carolina State Board of Nursing). Your Esthetician license is a little different because each state has different hours you have to accomplish before recieving your esthetician certificate. After you recieve your esthetician license you will be able to work in any state as long as you make up the missed hours by either taking continuing education, or working (the longer you work in years)
As far as pay, Estheticians usually make 60% per treatment, Salon makes 40% its called 60/40, 3-10% product sales. If you work in a Physicians office they usually pay you hourly $10.00 plus commssion, which is usually 30-50%. Registered Nurses make between $23-35 hour sometimes plus commssion for treatments if you are also a licensed esthetician. I would deff get your RN license first. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

This message is for RN in Clevland:
When I worked Spas I did not have my RN license yet, only Esthetician, so I did not get payed RN salary. I wish though! Spas usually do not hire RN's unless it is a medical spa. I now work for a plastic surgeon. I circulate in the OR 2x a week during surgery cases (we do alot of facelifts, breast augmentations), pre-op and recover patients. The other days I work for him (the doctor) performing laser treatments, skin care consultations and botox. I would apply to every Dermatologist and Plastic Surgeon in your area! I am sure you will get a reply. Most Physicians love to hire RN's to do laser treatments, because it is very time consuming for them to do. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RN in cleveland in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

SO jennifer are you an RN? Do you do this for a living?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ali in Haverhill, Massachusetts

79 months ago

I am and Esthetician with a medical back round. I am thinking about going to Nursing school. Do I have to be an RN to do medical Esthetics or will being an LPN qualify?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Dekalb, Illinois

79 months ago

I am finding out that some offices will train you to do the botox etc. LPN may work for you. If you can though, finish nursing school. The pay is better and you can go more places overall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RN CLEVE in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

So did you just start calling around to local plastic surgeons offices??

Lexie Brown in Bossier City, Louisiana

79 months ago

MacRN in Downers Grove, Illinois said: I have a RN/BSN. I need my RN license to administer any medication, Like BOTOX. If you want to learn how, with out the free help of a plastic surgeon, you could attend weekend seminars for BOTOX, it costs around 1200$. Laser skin care is a technical course. My friend who is an RN too, learned how to do it by attending the seminar, and now she's a sales rep for the machine. Hard work in this field will bring you 6 figures, especially if you own your own business. But not having to get up at 5 am for a 7 Am start and be rushed for a 7:30 surgery start is priceless. You could be the one who rushes people. Whoopee

Could you please offer me some information on how to get started. I am an RN, in Louisiana and would love to branch off into this field. What are the steps to take? I would like too as well start my oun business. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

RN CLEVE in Cleveland, Ohio said: So did you just start calling around to local plastic surgeons offices??

Yup, I did a lot of research first for school then called local offices (not many) and one said they do hire RN EST but they tend to train their staff. This is great for me. Now to land the job!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RN CLEVE in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

Oh ok so you are an RN est already? Did they say what pay scale and what types of things you'll be doing. I'm imagining in Chicago that it's alot more resourcfull. I actually wrote the ohio state nursing gov because I had read something saying that only physicians were allowed to administer Botox in ohio. Would you know anything about that or where to obtain that info?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bink Williams in Tallahassee, Florida

79 months ago

I am a BSN, RN and while I work for Covenant Hospice I also have owned the only professional body piercing shop in the area. I would also like to do tattoo removal, but in Fl. that is strictly limited to ARPN, PA, and MD's. I understand that legislative amendments have been attempted without success so far to allow RN's. The RN is such a broad degree that I would recommend it highly. Thanks. www.bodypiercingbybink.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

This message is for Blink (Tallahassee)or anyone else in Florida. Do you have any advice on how to get into this field in Florida? I am a BSN, RN. I would sooo love to get out of the hospital and have more flexibility. Any advice would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen SD Esthi in San Diego, California

79 months ago

I am currently an esthitician in San Diego and am loving it! I also have a BS in Speech and Hearing Sciences. I really want to get further education in nursing that would qualify me to administer things like botox and work in a medical spa. I have been scouring the internet looking for answers, but have come up empty. If anyone can help me or give me advice I would love it! Thanks.

Karen
San Diego/California

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

I agree, the hospital environment is killing me. How's the pay per hour where you are? I'm wondering how much a clinic or office pays. Finding a specialty is where the money is I've been told. any input from others?? I need $$ figures too.
Agency is good but that stress wears you down quickly. We as nurses need to care for ourselves too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Upland, California

79 months ago

When u got to state board for RN what does the test consit of??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Nothing related to what you study for. This was years ago but I remember one questions was "which side of the bed do you place the wheelchair if the patient has a left broken leg". If you think 'common sense' and don't look too much into it, you'll be fine. The first answer you pick before the process of elimination is usually correct. (so they say) Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

Jennifer in North Augusta, South Carolina said: Hey, I also have my Bachelors in Nursing and have been an Esthetician for over 8 years. RN's make a ton more money and you are able to do anything with your license under a doctors orders such as: administering Botox, Fillers, Medical Chemical peels, Medical Microdermabrasions, Laser treatments, eye lash extensions, permanent makeup, even body peircing not to mention basic nursing care. I worked in a spa for several years and got so bored after a while because what you are able to do with your license is minimal. As a RN you are able to find a job any where in the world in any area. Good luck!!!

From what I know, you don't need to be an RN to do eye lash extensions, permanent makeup or body piercings!

79 months ago

Blink, Are you working as a esthetician as well. I would like to get into the esthetictian field in Florida but am not quite sure what to do first. Any suggestions from anyone doing this in Florida would be great. Is it possible to do this on a part-time basis initially. I'm not sure how good the money is at first and would need to keep the hospital job to pay the bills. Is it better to take a course? Or can I start training with an physician?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MPK in Boston, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Hi! I too am an RN/BSN x 15 years interested in working for a plastic surgeon, botox, laser, etc..
Many of the offices I have called do not employ nurses. Now what?
Any ideas?
How does one get certified to use a laser? Is there a reputable course or company?
Any imput would be appreciated! Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Phyllis in Des Plaines, Illinois

79 months ago

Hi! I will be graduating from an Esthetics program in April. However, I have also applied to Northern Illinois University's BSN nursing program. I am wondering what the average pay is for a nurse esthetician in the western suburbs of Chicago. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Mary in Sacramento, California said: From what I know, you don't need to be an RN to do eye lash extensions, permanent makeup or body piercings!

Only certain license holders are allowed to perform these types of services to the public and estheticians and/or nurses happen to both qualify to perform all of them. When performing permanent makeup treatments (in SC and GA) you also need to be supervised by a physician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

I heard from a friend that it isn't much more that minimum wage plus tips. It depends where you work though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pam RN in Jacksonville, Florida

79 months ago

Sharal in Orlando, Florida. I would also like to get into the Esthetician field. I have been searching to find out what are the first steps and have not really found any definite answers. It is very frustrating. Is it possible to shadow someone? The terms are confusing as well - Medical Esthetician/Aestheticians. Do you have to work under a physician or can you have your own practice with limitations? If there are limitations what are they? I hope you get an answer....
Are you able to provide laser treatment? Chemical Peels...Exactly what are you able to do. I hope you get an answer....

Sharal in Orlando, Florida said: Blink, Are you working as a esthetician as well. I would like to get into the esthetictian field in Florida but am not quite sure what to do first. Any suggestions from anyone doing this in Florida would be great. Is it possible to do this on a part-time basis initially. I'm not sure how good the money is at first and would need to keep the hospital job to pay the bills. Is it better to take a course? Or can I start training with an physician?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

it is frustrating!! in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

Isnt it so frustrating!! I am a nurse and I've found the same problem. What exactly can you do/ not do. I wrote the state board of nursing to see if they had any answers for Ohio but nothing yet. Are you a nurse already? If you are it is much less pay to go to an estichian however if you are already RN and get approved to do lasers, botox etc I'm guessing it would be a pay increase.

sanju in Naperville, Illinois

79 months ago

Hi, I am interested in esthetics but I don't understand how the pay works. Is it hourly plus commissions or do you work for tips. I have a B.A. in psych and am a C.N.A. I thought about esthetics because it's not to long of schooling but from what I am hearing it is better to become an RN first. Not sure if I want to go to school that long. Does anyone have any advice?!?
Also where is a good place to start working straight out of esthetics school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Since you're in Naperville, I know an esthetician who works part time at Timeless Spa. She makes about 20/hr plus tips. She said that if she were to work full time, her pay would be bumped up to 30/hr with tips. That's not too bad for being an esthetician with no nursing degree. I'm still not sure if nursing is the best route for my to take after I graduate from esthetics school. Ugh! Any Illinois nurses out there who are working in esthetics and could give us an idea of what the pay is? That will really be the deciding factor for me, $$$!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

To answer your question about pay....for estheticians it is usually hourly plus commissions and tips. You typically will get paid anywhere from 15 - 30/hr, depending on the spa or medispa. Also, you should negotiate a commission for retailing products...this will vary depending on your hourly wage. From what I've heard, you're more likely to receive tips in a day spa or salon as opposed to a medispa or medical office. Hope that helps out a bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sheila in Fayetteville, North Carolina

79 months ago

I am also a RN and am interested in working in estetics but can not find any information except casual convesations such as find a MD willing to train you or some companies will train but no specific information.
it is frustrating

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RN in Cleveland, Ohio

79 months ago

It is! But I look at these medi spas all the time that RN's are doing lasers. I've written so many of them and they never reply. I dont know what else to do. Have you called plastic surgeons in your area? I'm having the great debate now about going for NP or MBA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sanju in Naperville, Illinois

79 months ago

Phyllis in Des Plaines, Illinois said: Since you're in Naperville, I know an esthetician who works part time at Timeless Spa. She makes about 20/hr plus tips. She said that if she were to work full time, her pay would be bumped up to 30/hr with tips. That's not too bad for being an esthetician with no nursing degree. I'm still not sure if nursing is the best route for my to take after I graduate from esthetics school. Ugh! Any Illinois nurses out there who are working in esthetics and could give us an idea of what the pay is? That will really be the deciding factor for me, $$$!

Thanks for your help! I think I will stick to esthetics school right now. The program time for schooling is perfect. I'm not looking for a big commitment with school right now and nursing school is definitely demanding. I will definitely check out some day spas and possibly down the road open my own business after I graduate! First and foremost I need to start the esthetics program. Good luck with your choices!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristal

78 months ago

I am an LPN and esthetician in Florida. Can I be trained to give Botox injections. I am now working in a skilled nursing facility but looking to get into a medi spa. I have been searching for the answer. Thanks for your help so glad I found this site

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.