Resume Help

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 91)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

The Facial Room in La Mirada, California

64 months ago

I am a licensed Esthetician and own my own business. I also enjoy helping newly licensed estheticians with their resume, business cards, and service brochures. I know what it is like getting started. I also coach and can advise on how to get started in the field and your options; room rental, independent contractor, or employee. Email me and I will be glad to help with putting together a professional resume that will get you results. Additionally, I can help with business cards and service brochures. My email is susan@thefacialroom.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Newly Licensed in Whittier, California

64 months ago

I just recently got my license and would like any info you can give me on how to get started. I would like to start my own home business and also i would like to work part time at a cosmetic counter/store. do you know where i can get some cute business cards and how to get started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

caligrl in San Francisco, California

64 months ago

The Facial Room in La Mirada, California said: I am a licensed Esthetician and own my own business. I also enjoy helping newly licensed estheticians with their resume, business cards, and service brochures. I know what it is like getting started. I also coach and can advise on how to get started in the field and your options; room rental, independent contractor, or employee. Email me and I will be glad to help with putting together a professional resume that will get you results. Additionally, I can help with business cards and service brochures. My email is susan@thefacialroom.com.

Hi there,
I recently passed my state board and I'm trying to decide what the next step is. I was thinking of going mobile but have no idea how to start this and how to get the money to buy everything I need to start this service. Any ideas and if you were me would you work for someone for awhile or go out on your own? Thanks for any info. Maureen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

the facial room in cypress, California

64 months ago

caligrl in San Francisco, California said: Hi there,
I recently passed my state board and I'm trying to decide what the next step is. I was thinking of going mobile but have no idea how to start this and how to get the money to buy everything I need to start this service. Any ideas and if you were me would you work for someone for awhile or go out on your own? Thanks for any info. Maureen

Hi Maureen,
Going solo was the only way for me. I am very independant. I do not know your situation. I have many years of business/accounting/marketing also and once I graduated and became licensed I went to the International Dermal Institute,earned my post-graduate diploma, purchased liability insurance from Associated Skincare Professionals, purchased my entire treatment room from CCI beauty,registered a ficticious business certificate for my business...then rented a room in a Beauty Center and started building my client base from there. Thought about mobile but decided against it. Go to CA state board and look at rules for going mobile. Email me at susan@thefacialroom.com if you want me to give you more info and resources. Not enough room on this forum to write everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

California in Fremont, California

64 months ago

The Facial Room in La Mirada, California said: I am a licensed Esthetician and own my own business. I also enjoy helping newly licensed estheticians with their resume, business cards, and service brochures. I know what it is like getting started. I also coach and can advise on how to get started in the field and your options; room rental, independent contractor, or employee. Email me and I will be glad to help with putting together a professional resume that will get you results. Additionally, I can help with business cards and service brochures. My email is susan@thefacialroom.com.

I just passed my stateboard and want to create business cards to market myself for employment. What should I write on the cards?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

California in Fremont, California said: I just passed my stateboard and want to create business cards to market myself for employment. What should I write on the cards?

For now, until you get a job, your cards will contain the following information.
sample:
NAME: Jane Doe
TITLE Licensed Skin Therapist (or) Licensed Esthetician
PHONE:(XXX)XXX-XXXX
You can put your license number on your card also if you want.
Also, if you want to be real creative, you could put a tag line on your card. Such as something like for example: "Helping you achieve clear, healthy, skin is my passion" or "Specializing in waxing, skincare and makeup" or maybe "Healthy, Radiant skin...A Happy, Confident You!"
You said you want to use your card to market yourself for employment. These are your professional calling cards and for now it will only contain name, title, contact phone number (either cell or home#). You do not need, nor should you put your home address on these. It will be on your resume.
You will give these to all prospective employers with your resume, (very professional). Once you get a job than your card will have the location where you work and you can put your hours on it. You could even have printed on the back of your card: "Your next appointment is on___________@ _______." to record your clients next appointment. These cards you will pass out to all clients, and everyone you want to use your services.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you would like me to do some up for you. My email is susan@thefacialroom.com Congratulations on passing your state board!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

greeniz11

62 months ago

Susan, Hi - like you, I am independent and have a lot of professional years in outside sales, teaching and training in the coporate world - i have a salon that has a room and wants me to come there and work and i passed state board practical last week - their rent is $100 a week - but i am single and have no family, so I will have to continue to work full time AND work to get skin care business built up. Won't this be a killer to do? Saturday and 1 night a week - what do you recommend? I am in TN, used to teach resume-writing, so I am up on all that charming, marketing stuff, but just wonder what is the best way to get this going and be able to avoid working myself to death...email me at janicestone71@yahoo.com. Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

greeniz11 said: Susan, Hi - like you, I am independent and have a lot of professional years in outside sales, teaching and training in the coporate world - i have a salon that has a room and wants me to come there and work and i passed state board practical last week - their rent is $100 a week - but i am single and have no family, so I will have to continue to work full time AND work to get skin care business built up. Won't this be a killer to do? Saturday and 1 night a week - what do you recommend? I am in TN, used to teach resume-writing, so I am up on all that charming, marketing stuff, but just wonder what is the best way to get this going and be able to avoid working myself to death...email me at janicestone71@yahoo.com. Thank you!!

Well, $100 a week for rent and working only 1 1/2 days each week is an awful lot to pay, don't you think? Can't you negotiate down the rent? You're not even working part-time. Does the room come fully equipped? Do you supply back-bar, your disposables, sheets, towels, etc?
Do you have clients already? If not it takes a long time, (up to 2 years) to really build up a client base and make money. Services are down terribly right now. The economy is not going to recover any too soon. So expect that your business may be slow growing. Is the salon busy? How many stylists and manicurists? Are you the only esthetician?
Have you done your service menu up? What skin care line are you going to use and prescribe? Will you make any commission off your product sales?
Since you have a good marketing background than you can do a free facial drawing to get a good start on a client base. Are you focusing on skin care or will you be offering waxing, make up, etc as well?
I am sure you already have ideas for doing up your own coupons; client rewards cards, client referral cards, and newsletters.
In addition, you will need liability insurance. I can tell you where to get that at a very low rate if you haven't already gotten

62 months ago

continued from above:
it. You will also most likely need a business license if your city requires it.
It's good that you are keeping your full time job. Great way to get clients. And it may be a good thing...for now...that you’re single, because you don't have dependents to support. You have the ability to devote all your free time to building your new career.
I don't think you will be working yourself to death with clients only 1 1/2 days per week, but I do think you will be working very hard at marketing to get clients, especially right now. However, the great thing is...you are very good at marketing!
Hope I gave you some food for thought. Let me know if you need any additional help or have other questions.
Wishing you the Best.
Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

nanielle in Portland, Oregon

61 months ago

Hi~

I am a recent grad looking to start a facial business in my home because I can not afford to lease a space in the beginning. Do you have any advise? My Spouse is feeling uneasy about strangers in our home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

My husband felt the same way, as well. Therefore, for my home based business, I only take people I know and referrals from those clients. Friends and relatives of my clients. I do not take strangers off the street. Most of my clients come from referrals. I also rent a room in a beauty supply center in another close by city. I have a client base there and will take new clients that are not referrals or people I know, at that location. I pay $400 per month for the space. They provided the basic equipment for the room. I added an ultrasonic skin scrubber and LED Revitalight machine and provide all back-bar, supplies, towels, etc. I receive no commission on product sales. My husband is semi-retired and home a great deal of the time. If he is home when I have a client, he wears headphones to watch TV or listen to music. Or he reads or plays games on the computer. Sometimes he will take off to the bookstore, get a cup of coffee, and read. I have the most wonderful, supportive husband. Therefore, my home based business is doable. We do not have a dog so I do not need to worry about a barking dog when I am doing a treatment. In addition, we silence the phones in the house. Your husband’s support is important to make your home-based business work. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nanielle in Portland, Oregon

61 months ago

the facial room in cypress, California said: My husband felt the same way, as well. Therefore, for my home based business, I only take people I know and referrals from those clients. Friends and relatives of my clients. I do not take strangers off the street. Most of my clients come from referrals. I also rent a room in a beauty supply center in another close by city. I have a client base there and will take new clients that are not referrals or people I know, at that location. I pay $400 per month for the space. They provided the basic equipment for the room. I added an ultrasonic skin scrubber and LED Revitalight machine and provide all back-bar, supplies, towels, etc. I receive no commission on product sales. My husband is semi-retired and home a great deal of the time. If he is home when I have a client, he wears headphones to watch TV or listen to music. Or he reads or plays games on the computer. Sometimes he will take off to the bookstore, get a cup of coffee, and read. I have the most wonderful, supportive husband. Therefore, my home based business is doable. We do not have a dog so I do not need to worry about a barking dog when I am doing a treatment. In addition, we silence the phones in the house. Your husband’s support is important to make your home-based business work. Hope this helps.

Yes it does...but I do have a dog.He is friendly but, he barks when people arrive.That will be a problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Beanie in West Bridgewater, Massachusetts

61 months ago

I am thinking of getting into the field of esthetics. My only concern is that I am 44 and I'm not sure how my age would affect my ability to attract clients. I have been seeing an esthetician for about 6 months now, she said some of her clients actually ask why there are not older estheticians at her shop. What do you think?

61 months ago

44 is not to old.....go for it!!!
When I was in esthetics school at 55, clients would come in for services and would always tell me they were so glad that they got me. Young and older clients. I was mature, clean, professional and genuinely cared about them. After you graduate and get your license......unless you tell them.....your clients will think you have been in this field for a long time and immediately trust you. If you have the passion and desire do not let your age discourage you from your dream. Wishing you the best!!! Susan

61 months ago

Beanie in West Bridgewater, Massachusetts said: I am thinking of getting into the field of esthetics. My only concern is that I am 44 and I'm not sure how my age would affect my ability to attract clients. I have been seeing an esthetician for about 6 months now, she said some of her clients actually ask why there are not older estheticians at her shop. What do you think?

44 is not to old.....go for it!!!
When I was in esthetics school at 55, clients would come in for services and would always tell me they were so glad that they got me. Young and older clients. I was mature, clean, professional and genuinely cared about them. After you graduate and get your license......unless you tell them.....your clients will think you have been in this field for a long time and immediately trust you. If you have the passion and desire do not let your age discourage you from your dream. Wishing you the best!!! Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beanie in West Bridgewater, Massachusetts

61 months ago

I never thoutht about it like that. Thank you for the encouragement!

KAT in Palm Harbor, Florida

61 months ago

I finish school in 3 months and would like to know more.katlady2244@yahoo.com

60 months ago

KAT in Palm Harbor, Florida said: I finish school in 3 months and would like to know more.katlady2244@yahoo.com

Kat,
What exactly would you like to know more about? What questions do you have? Are you wanting to know about going solo? Please be more specific as to what you are wanting to know more about. Thanks

amandacp in royal oak, Michigan

60 months ago

I am a licensed esthetician in the state of Michigan. I have been licensed for one year now and have not yet worked as an esthetcian. I have been a nanny for four years and am now officially looking to move on and obtain a job in my profession. I have an interview tomorrow with a woman who owns a massage parlor and is looking to expand services at her facility by adding esthetics. This seems like an ideal first time opportunity because I would be able to have a hand in the planning process. The only problem is that because I have not worked in a spa (besides my schooling), I am not sure what equipment/products will need to be purchased up front. Does anyone have any tips for where I should begin?

Ashley in Carmichael, California

59 months ago

Hello my name is Ashley I have been having ALOT of trouble getting started I got my licenes back in Aug 08 and have yet to find any luck with getting a job. my doctors office "hired" me to to be there esthetcian and so far I have paid more money to work there then I have been paid.I would really love to be able to do this by my self I was wondering if u had advice on getting started working from like home unitl I can rent a place out or something. what do i need to start out alone. How can I get people to start coming to me. Thanks Ashley

the facial room in La Mirada, California

59 months ago

You can email me at susan@thefacailroom.com and I'll be glad to give you some ideas and suggestions.
Susan

Ashley in Carmichael, California said: Hello my name is Ashley I have been having ALOT of trouble getting started I got my licenes back in Aug 08 and have yet to find any luck with getting a job. my doctors office "hired" me to to be there esthetcian and so far I have paid more money to work there then I have been paid.I would really love to be able to do this by my self I was wondering if u had advice on getting started working from like home unitl I can rent a place out or something. what do i need to start out alone. How can I get people to start coming to me. Thanks Ashley

Erin white in Cobleskill, New York

59 months ago

Dear Susan,

I have been a licensed Esthetician for 5 years now, and have only practiced for 2 of them. I have recently been given the opportunity to work as an independant contractor at a newly opened spa. I have enough for the equipment but am a little worried because there is no sink in the room this is a huge problem for me, I will initially be splitting everything 50/50 until I build my own clientelle. They have no skin care products what so ever so everything is all up to me/ I am eager to hear ANY advice you have to give me.
Thank you ,
Erin

59 months ago

Erin,
An Independent contractor (IC) is someone who works a temporary arrangement with a start date and an end date specified within a written contract. An Independent Contractor provides services that are not ongoing at the same location. The services an IC provides to a business is usually for a short period of time. They have no regular set hours or days in performing those services. An IC carries their own Liability Insurance and must be able to show proof of it. Like a booth renter, the independent contractor operates their business independently of the business owner. However, the salon, day spa or wellness center is not their primary place of operation. They are not leasing space; they are not on the payroll. They are paid on a service-by-service (on-call) basis and are responsible for all their taxes. (continued below)

59 months ago

continued from above

An example of an IC would be as follows: let's say that as the business owner you have a client who requests the services of an esthetician. You own the skincare room, but have no estheticians on payroll, nor do you have anyone leasing the skincare room at that particular time. You do, however, have the names of several licensed estheticians in your area. You call several until one is able to service this appointment at your facility. You then book the appointment with the client, collect from your client after services are rendered, then pay the independent contractor (esthetician) from the salon account. You would then serve the independent contractor (esthetician) with an IRS Form 1099 at the end of the year for services rendered for amounts more than $600.
So, if you do not have a legal written contract, specifying all this, you are an employee.
Most of us are aware of the business relationship between an employer and employee. The business owner has total control over the services, actions, dress, and behavior of the employee during their tenure. The employer is responsible for all advertising, equipment, etc. for their business. The business owner pays the operator (esthetician) a wage, commission or salary, and pays all related taxes to the IRS and their state; employees are covered by workers' compensation and state unemployment. At the end of the year, the business owner serves the employee with an IRS Form W-2.(continued below)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Continued from above
When renting a booth, the business owner leases "space”, be it an esthetician room/skin care room, to the operator (esthetician) for a flat rate of rent. This rented space is the primary location from which the operator (esthetician) conducts their business. The esthetician is considered a small business owner, a mini-salon owner if you will, operating within the business owner's facility. The booth renter may come and go as they please (within the operating hours of the business), set their own prices, book their own clients, generate their own advertising and collect their own fees for services rendered. The renter pays his own taxes and is not covered by workers' compensation, employer matched unemployment or disability insurance. The booth renter (esthetician) serves the business owner with an IRS Form 1099 at the end of the year for all rents paid over $600. The booth renter (esthetician) can, however, make commissions on retail sales made by vending the business owner's products (provided the business owner retains retailing rights), in which case, the business owner would serve the booth renter (esthetician) with an IRS Form 1099 for product sales commission amounts more than $600. (continued below)

59 months ago

continued from above
Whether you are a business owner, an employer/employee, a space renter, or in a few cases, an independent contractor, the single most important tool you should have is a solid contract. Whether it is a tax issue, a business issue, an unemployment/disability issue, or a dispute that ends up in front of a judge, the business agreement or contract is going to be the determining factor in 99 percent of most cases. It is important to know that not just any contract will work for you (i.e., writing one on your own). It is how the contract is worded that will protect you and give it the validity to withstand time. Improper or incorrect content is the No. 1 reason audits occur and fail. Protect yourself.

Your arrangement doesn't sound right to me. They can't have it both ways. In May 2000, the IRS published an educational pamphlet detailing the differences between an independent contractor, employee, and booth renter (Publication 3518, Catalog 73164X). Also for more info on figuring out if you are a booth renter, IC, or employee go to www.kassidys.com

Grace in Orlando, Florida

59 months ago

Hi I'm an esthetician starting my own business to make extra money and I was wondering what skin care line do you use on your clients? I have no clue which one to use and I dont have a lot of money for certain professional lines who require you to open an account and spend a certain amount. Thanks for your help.

Stacey in Manitowoc, Wisconsin

59 months ago

I got my license in '08 I used Dermalogica in school and loved the results. I worked about 9 months at a salon/spa I hated the product it was Comfort Zone. I didn;t make enough money I paid more driving to work and wasting my time helping the stylists more than I worked on clients I sent out coupons and talked to people gave hand massages to people getting pedicures and pitched my services at them it only got me 2 clients the salon ended up closing and I remain unemployed its a depressing field.

smilingfaces in Pompano Beach, Florida

59 months ago

Anyone living in the Fort Lauderdale area know of a advanced Esthetics school to attend. I want to learn more about the medical treatments offered.

Thanks,
S

Lily Rah in Menlo Park, California

58 months ago

Dear Susan
I'm a licenced esthetician with no working experince. I aways wanted to work with a dermatologist and I was wondering do I need any additional training to have a better chance to get a job.
Thanks,
Lily

58 months ago

Lily Rah in Menlo Park, California said: Dear Susan
I'm a licenced esthetician with no working experince. I aways wanted to work with a dermatologist and I was wondering do I need any additional training to have a better chance to get a job.
Thanks,
Lily

Well, if you do not know a dermatologist who is willing to bring you on board and give you hands-on training and experience then your best chance would be to get into a Clinical Esthetics Program and get some advanced education and a Clinical Esthetician certificate. If you are really serious about getting into the medical side of esthetics then getting into a Medical Assistant program or LVN program is the way to go. It seems that everyone is wanting to go the MEDSPA/Dermatologist route so it is very competitive. As far as you having no work experience...is that to mean no work experience at all or just no work experience as a licensed esthetician in the esthetics field? I will bet that while you were in school you worked your ####-off out on the clinic floor(getting tips only)for at least 3-4 months taking paying clients until you graduated! THAT was your Esthetics Internship and you got experience. Most likely you performed services on well over 100 paying clients...getting some working EXPERIENCE! Wishing you the best! Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

FacialsbyAmber in San Bernadino, California

58 months ago

Hi Susan,
I'm a newly licensed esthetician and I'm trying to start up a home based business because I don't have money to rent a room. I already read through all the posts that were on the forum and gained a lot of good info. I have business cards and will work off of referrals only. I do have a couple questions as far as how you got started. How do I obtain professional products? A lot of the big names like Dermalogica, Murad, etc make you open an account, or won't sell to me. How do I get my hands on some professional products? Also, from your home based buisness, did you carry a line to sell to your clients? Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or pointers.

Thanks

stacey in Manitowoc, Wisconsin

58 months ago

well when I went through my esthetician course we used Dermalogica at the end of the book is a small easy test we were required to take and through that got a account with them I don't know how to get one any other way sorry I can't help one way is go to a college in your area that offers the course ask them for advice on products and maybe they can answer some questions or set up meetings with local spa owners you don't need to say you will be competion just ask about their product line you could even pose as a student collecting info for a school paper if they seem reluctant sorry I am not more help to you

Beth in Berkeley, California

58 months ago

Hi! I'm reading all of the responses from Susan! You are amazing! I am following your guide to starting my own business and want to know about getting a business license. I live in once city, and provide at home services in other cities as well. I also provide services at gyms and clinics. Can I get ONE business license that covers me working ANYWHERE or do I need a license for each city? If I can get one business license, would I use my HOME address?

thank you!

58 months ago

Beth in Berkeley, California said: Hi! I'm reading all of the responses from Susan! You are amazing! I am following your guide to starting my own business and want to know about getting a business license. I live in once city, and provide at home services in other cities as well. I also provide services at gyms and clinics. Can I get ONE business license that covers me working ANYWHERE or do I need a license for each city? If I can get one business license, would I use my HOME address?

thank you!

Hi Beth,
Well you definitely need a business license for your homebased business. However it sounds like you are also an independent contractor providing on-call services to gyms and clinics, as well as, providing a mobile business. It can get tricky. You should contact California State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology regarding the requirements for both of these business's. They can answer your questions about business licenses for other cities you are working in as well. Wishing you the best, Susan

Beth in Berkeley, California

58 months ago

Thank you Susan. You have been very helpful. i am creating a email and website catering to natural skin care and nutrition. if you provide consulations for such, let me know. I'd love to work with you.

bless

bluebird3479 in Oakland, California

58 months ago

Susan really is a master resume writer. She takes what you have and makes it into a well written and glowing resume. She made me realize all of the wonderful experience I showed me how it is all transferrable and really makes me a great candidate for an employee and esthetician. She says that most people sell them selves short and she is the objective eye that can take your skills and experience and make them shine on paper to really attractive to prospective employers. I have also spoke with her on the phone and she is super nice and really supportive. thanks again Susan!
Amber

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

FacialsbyAmber in San Bernadino, California said: Hi Susan,
I'm a newly licensed esthetician and I'm trying to start up a home based business because I don't have money to rent a room. I already read through all the posts that were on the forum and gained a lot of good info. I have business cards and will work off of referrals only. I do have a couple questions as far as how you got started. How do I obtain professional products? A lot of the big names like Dermalogica, Murad, etc make you open an account, or won't sell to me. How do I get my hands on some professional products? Also, from your home based buisness, did you carry a line to sell to your clients? Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or pointers.
Thanks

Amber, I am just now working on getting my own skin care line. I am going through YG Laboratories in Huntington Beach, CA. They are a private label formulator and very reasonable. $120.00 min. S&K Labels is doing my labels. Also, I use Dr Jeff skin care line, in Ontario, CA. He only sells to estheticians and doctors and you must have a sellers permit from the State Board of Equalization. There is no cost for this. Get forms online. I also use Skin Accents for my masques and ampoules because these give fabulous, immediate results that your clients will see instantly....they love their skin and they can't stop looking at their skin. I am sold on their products. They sell professional only treatments. No mimimum. I have tons of other info for you, not enough space here... email me: susan@thefacialroom.com

58 months ago

bluebird3479 in Oakland, California said: Susan really is a master resume writer. She takes what you have and makes it into a well written and glowing resume. She made me realize all of the wonderful experience I showed me how it is all transferrable and really makes me a great candidate for an employee and esthetician. She says that most people sell them selves short and she is the objective eye that can take your skills and experience and make them shine on paper to really attractive to prospective employers. I have also spoke with her on the phone and she is super nice and really supportive. thanks again Susan!
Amber

Amber,
Thank you so much! I enjoyed working with you. I am glad you like your resume and cover letter. It is so true that everyone sells themselves short on their skills, experience and qualifications. Presentaton is everything. And we only get one chance to impress. You are now ahead of the game, you are armed with a professional resume that will get you results. Wishing you the best!
Susan
The Facial Room Esthetics Consulting
www.estheticsconsulting.vpweb.com/

robin in San Jose, California

57 months ago

Grace in Orlando, Florida said: Hi I'm an esthetician starting my own business to make extra money and I was wondering what skin care line do you use on your clients? I have no clue which one to use and I dont have a lot of money for certain professional lines who require you to open an account and spend a certain amount. Thanks for your help.

I owned my own day spa - that I had to close - I used Dermalogica and still have lots. We could work something out. I have an account already opened. ??

StephanieSue in Encino, California

56 months ago

Can anyone help me with Independent Contractors rights? I work as an Esthetician in a spa, and the spa owner wants to enforce a law where no Techs can go behind the front desk to check or look at their own schedules. Does any know if this owner can do this? Don't I have the right to make sure mistakes are not being made and so forth? Any insight will help! Thanks!

56 months ago

StephanieSue in Encino, California said: Can anyone help me with Independent Contractors rights? I work as an Esthetician in a spa, and the spa owner wants to enforce a law where no Techs can go behind the front desk to check or look at their own schedules. Does any know if this owner can do this? Don't I have the right to make sure mistakes are not being made and so forth? Any insight will help! Thanks!

Schedule? Do you have a set schedule of hours that you work? Independent contractors do not have set schedules. Sounds like you are an employee, especially if owner/manager is making a schedule of set hours that you regularly work. An independent Contractor works on call/only when needed and has other clients that they work for as well. The majority of people do not know the difference between employee, independent contractor and booth renter. If they are treating you as an employee, and call you an independent contactor they can get in big trouble with the IRS. A booth renter is NOT an independent contractor and is NOT an employee. A booth renter is a small business owner leasing a space to conduct their business. An independent contractor can have other clients that they contract with for example: you are on contract with three salons who do not rent out a room or have an esthetician on staff so call you whenever they have a client who wants a service. You should get paid as a vendor who has provided your services to them. You will get a 1099. You should not be getting paid from a payroll account. As a booth renter YOU will give a 1099 to the salon you rent from for rents you paid over $600. Also, if they are paying you and taking out taxes you are NOT an IC. You are an employee. In take case, your employer can set up a rule that you can not look at books. You follow all their rules.They control everything you do. What you wear. How you do treatments. Everything. You work for them. You are an employee. Hope this helps you understand difference.

kat in Pinellas Park, Florida

56 months ago

the facial room in cypress, California said: Kat,
What exactly would you like to know more about? What questions do you have? Are you wanting to know about going solo? Please be more specific as to what you are wanting to know more about. Thanks

I realize in florida no one is hiring.If I rent a space in a day spa what do I need ? Can I work from my home ?

Christine in Austin, Texas

55 months ago

StephanieSue in Encino, California said: Can anyone help me with Independent Contractors rights? I work as an Esthetician in a spa, and the spa owner wants to enforce a law where no Techs can go behind the front desk to check or look at their own schedules. Does any know if this owner can do this? Don't I have the right to make sure mistakes are not being made and so forth? Any insight will help! Thanks!

Do you still have your dermalogica products? I'm interested! Could you send me the list of products you have and how much you want for them? When did you open your account with them?

Thanks,
Christine
girltwo@msn.com

xoxox in Mishawaka, Indiana

55 months ago

Reading about ICs, I'm a little confused....I am working in a spa where I am considered an IC, get paid only commission, but I do have set schedule that I am required to be at the spa. There is a dress code and I am to do treatments a certain way. So, that would make me an employee?

Also, considering this is my first job in the field, what is a normal commission rate? Currently I'm making 30% commission on services up to $500. Everyone I've talked to thinks that's low, but being new to this, I have to way to judge if that's a standard commission rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

xoxox in Mishawaka, Indiana"
From what you have described you are an employee who is paid by commission only. And I agree, that 30% is very low. 60% is typical but 50% would be acceptable as well. If you are an IC you are an independant business who contracts out your services to vendors/clients such as spas. In that case, the spa,(who is your client)can say to you, we need you to come in and work on Tuesday and provide services to three of our clients. You, as an independant Contractor, (who by the way, may have other spas/clients that you are on call for as well) have the freedom to decide if you can provide your services to that spa on that day and what dollar amount you are willing to accept for your services. As an IC you do not have an ongoing set schedule unless you have a written contract with your client where you agree to provide your services to them on certain days. Remember as an IC you are your own business. You may have serveral clients that use your services. They can not tell you what to wear. You may have your own uniform that you wear for your business. I know someone who as an IC provides services to two Gyms and a Spa. She is an independent contractor and they call her when they need her services. If you have a set schedule and someone tells you what to do, oversees you and treats you like you are an employee...you are an employee. They need to be paying into workmans comp insurance and taking out taxes, etc. Otherwise they could very well be putting themselves into a very bad situation. It is very plain and simple, it they are treating you like an employee, you are an employee, not an independent contractor. Perhaps you should show them these posts on the definition of IC, Employee, and Booth Renter. Best wishes.

xoxox in Grand Rapids, Michigan

55 months ago

Okay, so do you think maybe I (and the other "idependent contractors" are being taking advantage of? We have all been hired straight out of school, and have no knowledge of the industry. Basically, I was just glad to have a job so immediately! Even though I haven't made much (any) money for the 6 months I've been here, I've been holding on to the idea that I'm getting "experience" and something to put on my resume.

xoxox in Grand Rapids, Michigan

55 months ago

xoxox in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: Okay, so do you think maybe I (and the other "idependent contractors" are being taking advantage of? We have all been hired straight out of school, and have no knowledge of the industry. Basically, I was just glad to have a job so immediately! Even though I haven't made much (any) money for the 6 months I've been here, I've been holding on to the idea that I'm getting "experience" and something to put on my resume.

To add to this, if we are labled employees, should insurance be something the spa provides? should our taxes be taken care of through the spa? I'm not sure how to go about bringing this up to my employer without being fired! What about just contacting the IRS? I'm getting ready to do my taxes, so should I file as an IC and pay my self-employment tax?

robin in Annapolis, Maryland

55 months ago

xoxox in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: To add to this, if we are labled employees, should insurance be something the spa provides? should our taxes be taken care of through the spa? I'm not sure how to go about bringing this up to my employer without being fired! What about just contacting the IRS? I'm getting ready to do my taxes, so should I file as an IC and pay my self-employment tax?

As a previous spa owner, I can tell you the following: There is no current law that requires the employer to provide health insurance. As for your taxes, you are responsible for tracking your wages and tips and report to IRS. As an independant contractor, if taxes are not being taken out of your paycheck, you will receive a 1099 at the end of the year, BUT you should be paying quarterly 'estimated' taxes - so you should get on track!

A lot of people that get 'tips' like to tell the IRS much less to make it look like they didn't make more money...be careful of this, as the IRS looks closely to see if your reported wages and what you say your tips are - if grossly under-reported, big RED FLAG to IRS. So, get yourself a journal and track everything, everyday...and be honest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

robin in Annapolis, Maryland

55 months ago

Don't fear asking your boss. Simply say, "I'm preparing my taxes, can you tell me if I am getting a W2 or a 1099 (ten ninety-nine). If you get a W2, then you are considered an employee and taxes should be coming out through your paycheck. But, you still need to track your tips and report. How are you 'tipped' out?

I missed your previous messages, what is your compensation and why do you feel concerned? I'll try and go back to look.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.