Transfering an Esthetics license

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 171)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Kelly in Youngstown, Ohio

80 months ago

I have a Esthetician license for Ohio and may be relocating to Pennsylvania. Does anyone know if you can transfer a license? Ohio requires 600 hours and PA requires only 300. Will I need to take the state boards for Pa?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (102) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Thanks Michelle, I will do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tristan in Yucca Valley, California

80 months ago

Kelly in Youngstown, Ohio said: Thanks Michelle, I will do that.

I'm not sure you can just transfer, i'm a cosmetologist in ca, and if I was to move to a different state with my lC - depending on the schools there you might have to go and get there hours and take that state board. unless it's the same hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Karoline,

I contacted the Pa State Board and this is what I was told:

In order to obtain a license without taking the exam in Pennsylvania, you must meet the following:

*Have a current license in a state with which Pennsylvania has an understanding of reciprocity . The states that do not are listed on their web site. Since your license is out of the US I'm not sure this applies. You may have to just take the written and practical exam to get your Pa license.

* You have to have two years of licensed work experience;

* You need to submit an application (find this on their website) and processing fee;

*Have the state in which you have a current license submit directly to the state board office a letter of certification of licensure;

*Have everything you submit approved by the Board.

If I move to PA I will have to take the exam over again as I don't have two years licensed work experience. I'm a fairly new esthetician.

Hope this info was helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

missy in San Leandro, California

72 months ago

I was a licensed Esthetician in Oregon and then worked at a spa for five months. I just moved down to California and want to get a job in a spa again. How would I go about transferring my license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Janelle in Long Beach, California

71 months ago

Hi, i need help. i just passed my CA state board exam and finally got my licence, but i might move to portland, oregon. does anyone know if my CA esthetics licence will work in portland oregon??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Amy

71 months ago

Janelle in Long Beach, California said: Hi, i need help. i just passed my CA state board exam and finally got my licence, but i might move to portland, oregon. does anyone know if my CA esthetics licence will work in portland oregon??

I noticed you just passed your CA state board, I will be taking it on Friday and am nervous as I couldn't transfer my NC license over. I just moved here 2weeks ago. Any advice??

I do know since I just relocated you will need to see if you can get reciprocity in Oregon for your CA license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Whitney in Raleigh, North Carolina

71 months ago

I have 600 hours and a va esthetics license. I am moving to north carolina. I keep getting different answers about weather there is reciprocity. Anyone know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Amy

71 months ago

Whitney in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I have 600 hours and a va esthetics license. I am moving to north carolina. I keep getting different answers about weather there is reciprocity. Anyone know?

Whitney I just recently moved from NC and YES they do have reciprocity, you can download the form off the state website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

I am possibly moving to California i have had my license since 2004. Is there any more needed hours or what do i do to find out about this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hannah in Columbia, Maryland

71 months ago

I am living in MD right now, and i need to move to florida, and i just got my license in esthetics and florida only needs 230 hours and i got 700 hrs. so do i have to work here for a certain amount of years until i can transfer my license over?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Lori Douglas in London, Ontario

71 months ago

I am from London Ontario area, I have my liscence and my cidesco..I have been looking into travelling and have been offered a job in Laguna beach if I can get my calif state liscence... they gave me a number but I can't reach it from this area..do you know the requirements or how I could find out what I would need to work there, I feel like I am going round and round in circles

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen Ryan in Half Moon Bay, California

71 months ago

Just visiting my sister and thinking about moving to the area. I hold a Master Esthetician license in Va. What are the rules regarding moving a license? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Beaverton, Oregon

71 months ago

Janelle in Long Beach, California said: Hi, i need help. i just passed my CA state board exam and finally got my licence, but i might move to Portland, Oregon. does anyone know if my CA esthetics's licence will work in Portland Oregon??

No! You will have to apply for reciprocity. You just have to show proof of your hours to the Oregon Board of Cosmetology, pay a licensure fee and you will get your Oregon license in Hair Design. You will not need to take a written or practical as long as your license in CA is current. Go to the Oregon Board of Cosmetology website and they have an online application to fill out with all the rules and regs of reciprocity! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Sacramento, California

71 months ago

Currently i am attending a community college and I wanted to know what esthetian does end how long you have to train to be one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andreea in Palm Springs, California

71 months ago

Lori Douglas in London, Ontario said: I am from London Ontario area, I have my liscence and my cidesco..I have been looking into travelling and have been offered a job in Laguna beach if I can get my calif state liscence... they gave me a number but I can't reach it from this area..do you know the requirements or how I could find out what I would need to work there, I feel like I am going round and round in circles

What kind of licence do you have for Ontario?
And in which year did you get it?
As far as I know in Ontario they do not have a licence yet/
Please let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nic_n in Warminster, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

I am currently applying to different schools in Pennsylvania to become an esthetician and was planning on moving once I graduated. I am not exactly sure where I will be moving to (I have a few options currently)so I was wondering if there was anyway to get a list of what states my license would be transferable to without any experience. I've gone to the State Board website and only found myself searching through pages and pages of information without finding an answer.

Claire in Columbus, Ohio

70 months ago

Kelly in Youngstown, Ohio said: You see Ohio requires 600 hours and Pa only requires 300 so I'm hoping I can just transfer it since I already have more than enough hours. I'm a new esthetician and just took my Ohio Stateboard this past June so I just hate the thought of doing it again. Ugh.

I remember making a survey a while ago, and since we are the ones in OH who are asking for the most hours for an aesthetician license, moving in other states will not create any problems. You need to contact the new board of Cosmetology in your new State and show them your license. You don't have to redo it all over again. You have more hours than most if not all other states requirement.

Rachel in Perrysburg, Ohio

70 months ago

I have a cos license in Ohio, and I am looking to move to Toronto. I cannot find any information online about the licensure in Canada! Do they even have licenses or is it like in some countries where you just need a certificate, or past experience? Are you able to transfer a license? Any info would help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

colleen in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

70 months ago

hey, i have just moved from canada and i have done full esthetics for 9 yrs and just got married and moved to fort lauderdale fla. was wondering about transfering from another country does anyone know??? Please. i am hopeing to open my own salon down here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristen in Santa Rosa, California

69 months ago

colleen in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: hey, i have just moved from canada and i have done full esthetics for 9 yrs and just got married and moved to fort lauderdale fla. was wondering about transfering from another country does anyone know??? Please. i am hopeing to open my own salon down here

Colleen,
Every state but CA has reciprocity; Google 'esthetic license Florida' and you should find the requirements for transferring. Usually, Canada and other countries requirements are higher than in the US so you shouldn't have a problem. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kristen in Santa Rosa, California

69 months ago

Kathleen Ryan in Half Moon Bay, California said: Just visiting my sister and thinking about moving to the area. I hold a Master Esthetician license in Va. What are the rules regarding moving a license? Thanks

California is the only state without reciprocity; you must re-take both a practical and a written exam and get proof of your education from your school. This can take a while, usually from 3-6 months although a bit depends on how many people have applied when you do. Google 'California esthetic license' and you will find the requirements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Andreea in Palm Springs, California

69 months ago

Need more details, please e-mail me andreeaone@gmail.com

Missy in Tulsa, Oklahoma

69 months ago

Tristan in Yucca Valley, California said: I'm not sure you can just transfer, i'm a cosmetologist in ca, and if I was to move to a different state with my lC - depending on the schools there you might have to go and get there hours and take that state board. unless it's the same hours.

As far as I know, California and New York are the only states without reciprocity. I am licensed in Oklahoma but am thinking of moving to Oregon and I could transfer right over. Most of the time you just have a pay a fee to register with that state's board.

laa23 in Limerick, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Has anyone recently taken the PA State Estheticians Theory exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tari B in Lansing, Michigan

68 months ago

Does anyone know the requirements for an esthetician licence in Florida. I am planning on moving there from Michigan

colleenmacrae@hotmail.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

68 months ago

Kristen in Santa Rosa, California said: Colleen,
Every state but CA has reciprocity; Google 'esthetic license Florida' and you should find the requirements for transferring. Usually, Canada and other countries requirements are higher than in the US so you shouldn't have a problem. Good Luck.

Thank you soo much i will look into
it ..

Anabella in Toronto, Ontario

68 months ago

Hi
I am Canadian Esthetician graduated with the Advanced Esthetics Diploma ( over 1000 hrs.)
We are planning to move back to NYC; how should i go about the licensure for the NY state?
Should I get prepared for the additional test?
Would it be different for CIDESCO Diplomat?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joanna in Beverly Hills, Florida

68 months ago

I moved from TN to FL. You have to first send to the state of Michigan a request for your license to be transferred. There will be a fee. Contact the Michigan board of Cosmetology for the exact steps to follow, they may be different from state to state. After a copy of your license has been received in Florida, they will send you an application to get your FL license. You will not have to retest in Fl, only take an HIV education course, which you will have to take every year in FL. This course is available online and only takes a few hours to complete. After you mail your completed application along with a fee, and proof of your HIV course, they will process your application. From my experience, it will take a long time for this to be processed. After waiting 4 weeks for them to send me my license, they mailed me notice saying that it had not been approved because they hadnt received the right information. Everything they needed was right in front of them and after I called a few times and spoke to a few different people, it was approved. The people working in this department are not at all efficent or careful about what they are doing. I've heard complaints from others about problems. Good luck, I hope this helps. Oh, and if you call the Fl board, you will on hold for 20 minutes!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Kelly in Youngstown, Ohio said: I have a Esthetician license for Ohio and may be relocating to Pennsylvania. Does anyone know if you can transfer a license? Ohio requires 600 hours and PA requires only 300. Will I need to take the state boards for Pa?

If you have been practicing esthetics for at least two years continuously in Ohio, without lapses, you will not have to retest in PA. You will have to show proof on your application that you have been employed that long. If you dont meet that requirement, you will have to retest. I believe there is a practical and written test that is required. I hope you are moving to a large city like Philly, where the job market is still strong, that seems to be the one city not affected by the economy. I was living in the Columbus, Ohio area and with much esthetics experience it was impossible to find a job. Good luck, Joanna!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gerri in Evanston, Illinois

68 months ago

I have an IL Esthetics license and thinking of moving to California. Can i just pay a license fee in California? Hrs in IL is 750-CA is 600. Thank you for the answer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

This is the answer I got from the California state board webpage. Good luck.. It doesn't seem fair.

Reciprocity
No reciprocity available. Applicants must take written and practical exam. In the case of barbers, Barbers have to take both a written and a practical examination, however, barber instructors require only a written exam.

68 months ago

nic_n in Warminster, Pennsylvania said: I am currently applying to different schools in Pennsylvania to become an esthetician and was planning on moving once I graduated. I am not exactly sure where I will be moving to (I have a few options currently)so I was wondering if there was anyway to get a list of what states my license would be transferable to without any experience. I've gone to the State Board website and only found myself searching through pages and pages of information without finding an answer.

If you move to CA, you will have to retest again, your written and practical. TN and FL I know for sure you wont have to retest and most other states you wont have to retest. In FL, you will have to take an online HIV education course, which is short and simple. In Ohio, you will actually have to take a written managing esthetician exam. If you want to know what states for positive, go to each states cosmetology board website and view it there.
As an esthetician myself, I would be careful before going to school for esthetics, because of the shape of the economy. From my experience, estheticians are suffering the most as service providers because our services are not considered a "necessity". Many employers as well, will want you to be dual licensed (massage or nail tech). I love the field of esthetics and don't mean to be negative, its just the way things are right now. Also, with all of the new schools that are booming, the field is flooded with too many estheticians and not enough jobs. I wish you the best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Lori Douglas in London, Ontario said: I am from London Ontario area, I have my liscence and my cidesco..I have been looking into travelling and have been offered a job in Laguna beach if I can get my calif state liscence... they gave me a number but I can't reach it from this area..do you know the requirements or how I could find out what I would need to work there, I feel like I am going round and round in circles

This is from the CA board of cosmetology. Here is the board's website for further info on testing.
www.barbercosmo.ca.gov/consumers/index.shtml

Reciprocity
No reciprocity available. Applicants must take written and practical exam. In the case of barbers, Barbers have to take both a written and a practical examination, however, barber instructors require only a written exam.

lucia chavez in New York, New York

68 months ago

I live now in New York city for about one year,I have the estet lincence from Florida.
How do I get my new york lincence.

dayeager in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

68 months ago

My daughter did just the opposite. She has 600 hours and holds a license in NC and moved to VA. What she did was contact the NC State Board who sent info to the VA state board. This cost her $20. Then she had to pay VA a fee for a license from that state. I believe that fee was $50. She then held a license in both states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

SHARON in Melbourne, Australia

67 months ago

I have a dip;oma in Beauty Therapy(esthetician) in Melbourne, Australia. We are not required to hold a license. How do I go about getting one in Washington State? I am American, have lived here for 20 years and want to come back home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SHARON in Melbourne, Australia

67 months ago

Angel, Thank you for your speedy reply. Yes, I have looked on the site you suggested, and unforotunatly, it is assumed that everyone has a license. All I can think to do is when I get back I'll have to apply with just my qualifications, and see if that will get me anywhere. I hold a diploma qualification with electrolysis, which took me 2 years full time to study for, and I have been working for the past 10 years, including doing laser and IPL work, so it would be a shame if I had to startover. Thanks again, Sharon Dayton

vivi in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

does anyone know a # or a site where i can go to transfer my get my esthetician salon license & nail technology salon license transfered due to a transfer of ownership of my nail salon?

Brandi in Williamstown, New Jersey

66 months ago

Hey! Does anyone know if I apply for my PA license do I have to take both the theory and practical exams if I already have an active NJ skincare specialist license for 3 years (there is no reciprocity for NJ and PA)? Also, is it true that a state board exam is not required for electrolysis certification? Thanks!

laa23 in Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Since there is no reciprocity between the states you must ber certified in PA which means PA schooling. Also, it is true that electrolysis is NOT part of the exam. It's not even part of the PA schooling.

66 months ago

I realize electrolysis is a completely different course than the skin care course. My question is once I complete my course for electrolysis, is there a state board for that separte course. Also, to obtain my PA license I would have to go to school again for 300hours in PA? Thanks

laa23 in Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Your credits may be transferrable. I know in the school that I went to you had to take a test to see how much you knew and then what you didn't do well in you had to take the course.

The Theory and Practical exams for the electrolysis, I don't know.

www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter7/chap7toc.html

66 months ago

I actually talked to the PA State Board and luckily since I've had my license for more than two years and I am working I only have to take the theory exam with no additional schooling or course hours. But thanks for your information anyway though!

barbclas@optonline.net in West Babylon, New York

66 months ago

I am a licensed Esthetican & Makeup Artist since 1997. I will be moving to Florida will my license be transferred. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Goldie in Ambler, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

I have a estheitician's license in PA - what do I have to do to get a florida est license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Trish in Salt Lake City, Utah

66 months ago

I'm interested in getting my esthetic's instructor's license. Does anyone know how I go about getting it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

just me in Youngstown, Ohio

66 months ago

if I'm an employee working for commission, can my employer deduct a "product fee" from my check without giving me an oppertunity to write it off of my taxes?

laa23 in Boyertown, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

Thanks. That was a really old posting. I'm already licensed.

laa23 in Limerick, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.