schools in Chicago- thinking I need to switch

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 89)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

skinlover in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

I am currently taking classes at a school in chicago. It's a horrible school, teachers don't teach, they don't supervise the clinic and I wonder if they really know what they’re doing. So, basically, we are there just for the hours. The school has no structure what so ever. I feel stuck. Are all schools like this in Chicago? Anyone have a recommendation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Esthetician in Schaumburg, Illinois

82 months ago

I am Shocked that you're school lacks structure!! Chicago has great Esthetician schools!! If you are there just for the hours, What are you doing with your time?? freshman!!! HA HA!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Are You really a skinlover, or are you lacking the books it takes??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Do you even know the structure of a cell? Can you times that by two, or put it into an EQuation? xoxo. To sum it all up Chicago Estheticians are very Educated. Maybe this is the wrong career choice for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Esthetician in Schaumburg, Illinois said: I am Shocked that you're school lacks structure!! Chicago has great Esthetician schools!! If you are there just for the hours, What are you doing with your time?? freshman!!! HA HA!!

Ok, so if Chicago has great schools, then why don't you recommend one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Esthetician in Schaumburg, Illinois said: Are You really a skinlover, or are you lacking the books it takes??

I am a skinlover. I have put a lot of thought into my career choice. Skin care is the only thing that has ever made sense to me. I am just frustrated and was only asking for help so that I may get the proper education I need to be a great esthetician.

Thanks for the help? I think

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

The School you are at!! Go back to High School you could make more money!! LOL!! *

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

beauty school drop out? never! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Skin Care and Spa Inst in Mount Prospect, Illinois

82 months ago

By chance are you going to Skin Care and Spa Inst. in Skokie? If so I believe you when you say your school has no structure!! I attend this school and it i horrible! I am embarrassed about my lack of education this school offered me! Everything I have learned is through my own research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

don't know much in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

Ha, I too have had a run in with “Ms. Schaumburg” and I agree with you, for all that's holy, Shut up. If you don’t have any useful information, leave it. Get out and get a life.

I am currently in school for esthetic's and I would not recommend the school I’m going to, which is the University of Aesthetics. Currently we have one teacher for three classes and no-one to supervise our clinic, some of us our in the process in trying to do something about it, but who knows if that is really going to happen. I can tell you that I have heard that a lot of esthetics schools are the same. So just be prepared to do a lot of your own teaching and research. If this field is truly what you want to do, you will succeed.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

skin care in Mount Prospect, Illinois

82 months ago

My school is horrible too. It is in Skokie. We don't even have a clinic. I am almost done with my hours and I have only seen about 5 clients come into the school!!

I had a friend that went to Aveda in Chicago and she just loved it. I wish I would have taken her advice.

Here is a website that provides info on schools. www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

menotyou in Chicago, Illinois

81 months ago

Esthetician in Schaumburg, Illinois said: Hey, I am not an Idiot. It's Maybe good for you out in Cali, but in Illinois it's a tough market for jobs. You would be aggrivated too if you could not find work and you were licensed for several years. I am just trying to have a sense of humour during the hard times. It's nice to know that little Cali girls can finally speak our language in trying to ACT cool by trying to mimick our personality. Nice try. Where did you learn how to act? I am only Playing with you!! If you are that frustrated with the Chi Cats then go unravel a peptide code for fun! I love my Man by the way. If I am a you know what then you must be a dog, and that's maybe why nobody pays attention to you at school!! CYA wouldn't want to be YA! Have a nice day! Love from Chicago where it is currently in the upper 50's record breaking temperatures for January, and it's raining with tornado watches. Is that ironic? Wish you well with your weather too. Humor, peace, and love. Science and chemistry is cool, hope you learn at school.

Who are you responding to? I don't get it....

81 months ago

Get a life and research your schools before you put a bad name out there for Chicago, maybe you just simply could not afford the good ones. I do wish you well in your career, but do not seek advice from the internet. You and your Esthetic Sisters need to figure out what you are going to do instead of nitpicking. From Delta to Delta we can not help ya! Go team experienced Estheticians, when Bio was simply Bio. Not the other 999,000+ skincare lines out there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

menotyou in Chicago, Illinois

81 months ago

Why are you so angry?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

DRAMA! If you find me a good-paying job I will be happy. I am engaged and I might not even be able to married because I can not find a good-paying job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Esthetician in Schaumburg, Illinois said: DRAMA! If you find me a good-paying job I will be happy. I am engaged and I might not even be able to get married because I can not find a good-paying job! Do you have any questions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cary Crawford in Kansas City, Missouri

81 months ago

Girl, I feel your pain (& frustration.) I just graduated in November. Getting ready to take State boards on Monday! I am very “unsatisfied” with my $9000 education. I am not alone. I have at least 50 other students who agree with me. We attended a brand new “state of the art” school, but that was all we had…great equipment. What we have come to realize is these “so-called” teachers, are only in the business to “make money.” This “looser” from Schaumburg, IL is most likely an owner of a school or something of the sort. Keep your chin up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Aurora, Illinois

80 months ago

skinlover in Chicago, Illinois said: I am currently taking classes at a school in chicago. It's a horrible school, teachers don't teach, they don't supervise the clinic and I wonder if they really know what they’re doing. So, basically, we are there just for the hours. The school has no structure what so ever. I feel stuck. Are all schools like this in Chicago? Anyone have a recommendation?

I know exactly how you feel about your school. I also was enrolled in an esthetic school in Naperville that was the same way. I knew more then the instructors, they didn’t supervise, they would disappear, had no structure, and in a nutshell took my money and wasted my time. I did find a different esthetic school in Schaumburg called the International Beauty Academy. I highly recommend it, and if you are a skin lover like you claim to be you will fit in perfectly. I will be done with the program this spring. The instructor was a dermatologist in Europe for 20 year. She is extremely knowledgeable, and I have the utter most respect for her. If you truly want to learn about skin and be the best esthetician you can be this is the school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Aurora, Illinois

80 months ago

Skin Care and Spa Inst in Mount Prospect, Illinois said: By chance are you going to Skin Care and Spa Inst. in Skokie? If so I believe you when you say your school has no structure!! I attend this school and it i horrible! I am embarrassed about my lack of education this school offered me! Everything I have learned is through my own research.

I know exactly how you feel about your school. I also was enrolled in an esthetic school in Naperville that was the same way. I knew more then the instructors, they didn’t supervise, they would disappear, had no structure, and in a nutshell took my money and wasted my time. I did find a different esthetic school in Schaumburg called the International Beauty Academy. I highly recommend it, and if you are a skin lover like you claim to be you will fit in perfectly. I will be done with the program this spring. The instructor was a dermatologist in Europe for 20 year. She is extremely knowledgeable, and I have the utter most respect for her. If you truly want to learn about skin and be the best esthetician you can be this is the school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Downey, California

80 months ago

Sandra in Aurora, Illinois said: I know exactly how you feel about your school. I also was enrolled in an esthetic school in Naperville that was the same way. I knew more then the instructors, they didn’t supervise, they would disappear, had no structure, and in a nutshell took my money and wasted my time. I did find a different esthetic school in Schaumburg called the International Beauty Academy. I highly recommend it, and if you are a skin lover like you claim to be you will fit in perfectly. I will be done with the program this spring. The instructor was a dermatologist in Europe for 20 year. She is extremely knowledgeable, and I have the utter most respect for her. If you truly want to learn about skin and be the best esthetician you can be this is the school.

I just spoke with the instructor from this school and she seemed very genuine. Can you please tell me a bit more about your educations experience. My personal email is Jacquelyncareer@yahoo.com. I am in the process of moving back to Illinois
Thank you
Jackie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Akron, Ohio

80 months ago

skin care in Mount Prospect, Illinois said: My school is horrible too. It is in Skokie. We don't even have a clinic. I am almost done with my hours and I have only seen about 5 clients come into the school!!

I had a friend that went to Aveda in Chicago and she just loved it. I wish I would have taken her advice.

Here is a website that provides info on schools. www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com

I attended an Aveda Institute here in Ohio, and I am very proud of my education. We had clients to work on three days a week for about four months, and when I left I was very comfortable taking new clients and letting my current clients know where I would be working.

Good luck to everyone. All you can hope is to find an excellent school where you feel comfortable and well-educated (with plenty of experience, of course). This is the best way to find a job you love as much as your education.

Loving Life in Oakland, California

80 months ago

Hey I just heard some people saying if you have a Nursing Degree you can get a job doing facials, and any other skin care and such. I guess that makes sense, but is there any truth to it?

Laura in Akron, Ohio

80 months ago

I can't imagine that you can get an esthetician's license without going to the State Board where you'd like to work (you'd have to know about machines and management and salon rules and such). But I can't really say for sure; I've never looked into it.

Although, I'm sure the bacteriology and other scientific areas of study would be much easier!

Judy

80 months ago

I went to the Naperville school for 300 hours, & then transfered to Florida. In the 300 hours I feel that I learned pretty much all that I needed. I am licensed here in Fl for the past 18 months, but there are NO JOBS. I work part-time at a country club 75 miles from my home. Minimun wage and 25%. I have now started to do home healthcare- living for 24 hours at a time at seniors homes a few days a week. The job outlook for Estheticians is always so glowing, the reality is terrible.

Chris in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

is the school you are talking about in the city close to Michigan... I am (i think) at the same school and people end up leaving a few weeks after they start and the ones that stay feel that the teachers might be good estheticians but rude teachers that do not do too well teaching...

Frustrated in Des Plaines, Illinois

78 months ago

don't know much in Chicago, Illinois said: Ha, I too have had a run in with “Ms. Schaumburg” and I agree with you, for all that's holy, Shut up. If you don’t have any useful information, leave it. Get out and get a life.

I am currently in school for esthetic's and I would not recommend the school I’m going to, which is the University of Aesthetics. Currently we have one teacher for three classes and no-one to supervise our clinic, some of us our in the process in trying to do something about it, but who knows if that is really going to happen. I can tell you that I have heard that a lot of esthetics schools are the same. So just be prepared to do a lot of your own teaching and research. If this field is truly what you want to do, you will succeed.

Good Luck

I am also going to the University of Aesthetics, but the Downers Grove location. Our instructor is wonderful and extremely knowledgeable. We have really learned so much more than what is typically offered in an esthetics program. That having been said, I still would not recommend the school. The owners are extremely cheap and do not seemt to care about the students in the least. We never have enough hot water in the washer to properly sanitize the linens and we are constantly out of supplies...essential items like laundry soap, hand soap, gloves! Also, we are expected to do ALL of the cleaning in the school; they do not have an outside cleaning crew come in...EVER!!! We are told that this is "sanitation" and is required for us to do in our educational program. C'mon...mopping the bathroom and kitchen floor is required by State? I don't think so.

I would recommend the school because of the instructor we have, but, she is only one woman and can leave at any time. If she does, the school isn't worth the time or money.

sanju in Naperville, Illinois

78 months ago

Sandra in Aurora, Illinois said: I know exactly how you feel about your school. I also was enrolled in an esthetic school in Naperville that was the same way. I knew more then the instructors, they didn’t supervise, they would disappear, had no structure, and in a nutshell took my money and wasted my time. I did find a different esthetic school in Schaumburg called the International Beauty Academy. I highly recommend it, and if you are a skin lover like you claim to be you will fit in perfectly. I will be done with the program this spring. The instructor was a dermatologist in Europe for 20 year. She is extremely knowledgeable, and I have the utter most respect for her. If you truly want to learn about skin and be the best esthetician you can be this is the school.

Hi ..can you tell me the name of the esthetics school you went to in Naperville..I am currrently looking into starting and would like to know which is a good school around here. Thanks!

beauty in Chicago, Illinois

78 months ago

Skin Care and Spa Inst in Mount Prospect, Illinois said: By chance are you going to Skin Care and Spa Inst. in Skokie? If so I believe you when you say your school has no structure!! I attend this school and it i horrible! I am embarrassed about my lack of education this school offered me! Everything I have learned is through my own research.

I had a completely different experience. I graduated from Skin Care and Spa Institute and loved the school. I did a lot of research before choosing this school too. I thought the school was very well structured, I got a lot practical experience, and learned a great deal. I’m very happy with the education I got there.

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

78 months ago

A school is only as good as its teachers. This is why I always recomend asking who the instructors are when hearing good reports.

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

esmeralda aguilar in Chicago, Illinois

78 months ago

well i graduated from pivot point international academy. i had ms. margo as a teacher and she was incredible. she was a wonderful teacher,very knowledgeable and always willing to teacher more than whatever the book had to teach us. the only bad thing i would say about that school is that it was unorganized at times. more on the financial aide and administration side. but over all the name alone will open many doors for you.

Bridget in Skokie, Illinois

77 months ago

I do not know what is going on at some of these schools, but if you are really looking for an elite education and experience to match...try the Aveda Institute in Chicago. Great instructors!! Aveda was a fantastic school and if you want your moneys worth i suggest that you check out this amazing school! Erin is who you need to speak to at the school about the program, she is a great source of knowledge and will help you with youir decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Oswego, Illinois

77 months ago

sanju in Naperville, Illinois said: Has anyone heard anything about the Naperville Skin Institute? Is it good or bad. It seems pretty pricey..just want to make sure it's reputable before I spend all my time and money.

I started there and found a new school ASAP. It was a really big disappointment. The new school I found is in Schaumburg. its a newer school called International Training Academy. I recommend checking it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sanju in Naperville, Illinois

77 months ago

Sandra in Oswego, Illinois said: I started there and found a new school ASAP. It was a really big disappointment. The new school I found is in Schaumburg. its a newer school called International Training Academy. I recommend checking it out.

What was so disappointing about Naperville Skin Inst.? Are you currenty in school for esthetics? Thanks for the info. I will check out the school in Schaumburg. It's just that I was looking for a school little closer to me.

SkinGirl03 in Alsip, Illinois

77 months ago

sanju in Naperville, Illinois said: Has anyone heard anything about the Naperville Skin Institute? Is it good or bad. It seems pretty pricey..just want to make sure it's reputable before I spend all my time and money.

Ya. I know about that school. I went to that school. Don't go there. I went because I thought it was good, but 4 Instructors have left since I was there for a 6 months program. Very unorganized. Most of the girls at the school wanted to sue them for their lack of actually teaching us. Also, one instructor, (Head MGR) was fired for reasons I can't mention. So much more too. The school should be closed down. A waste of your money. Don't go.

skinstudent in Bensenville, Illinois

76 months ago

sanju in Naperville, Illinois said: What was so disappointing about Naperville Skin Inst.? Are you currenty in school for esthetics? Thanks for the info. I will check out the school in Schaumburg. It's just that I was looking for a school little closer to me.

I go to Naperville Skin Institute and LOVE it! There are 3 ESTHETICS teachers there that are great. It is easy to ask questions and get help. We have learned sooo much in everything facials, microderm, peels, makeup etc. When I was looking for a school, I asked around to professionals in the industry and they all said to go to Naperville Skin Institute. I am so glad I listened. We learn from 3 different product lines. There is not another school in the Chicago area that teaches like that. They offer financial aid if you need it too. Especially with how expensive everything else is, it is nice to have student loans to help pay for school. I would highly recommend this school to anyone in Chicago!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lola in Virginia Beach, Virginia

70 months ago

I am very disappointed with the school I attend. No supervision. Teacher is never there. Very unprofessional. It's very upsetting and I feel trapped. I would like to speak with others in vabeach area

b in Midlothian, Illinois

54 months ago

has any one heard anything about tricoci university?

MakeUp_Girl in Palatine, Illinois

54 months ago

I would love to hear feedback on Tricoci too. I am registered to start there but am considering ITA/ International Beauty Academy in Schaumburg since they teach laser. Can someone tell me the tuition there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SkinCare in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

I also went to a horrible school - we went through 4 instructors in the first month. The owners didn't care about anything but making money. I had to learn everything after graduating from University of Aesthetics (Chicago).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

B in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

SkinCare in Chicago, Illinois said: I also went to a horrible school - we went through 4 instructors in the first month. The owners didn't care about anything but making money. I had to learn everything after graduating from University of Aesthetics (Chicago).

The U of Aesthetics was horrible? Or another school that you attended? I am trying to find a good school and this one is very close to my home, that is why I ask...

anki417 in Chicago, Illinois

51 months ago

did somebody here anything on new age spa institute in des plaines? I'am choosing between that one, tricoci and international skin beauty academy in schaumburg. Don't know witch one is the way to go. Any advice?

beautywild in Chicago, Illinois

51 months ago

anki417 in Chicago, Illinois said: did somebody here anything on new age spa institute in des plaines? I'am choosing between that one, tricoci and international skin beauty academy in schaumburg. Don't know witch one is the way to go. Any advice?

I'm looking at schools too now. I heard some really bad things about this new age spa in des plains from a co-worker, she said the education was very bad, no structure at all. She wanted to work with doctors, but didn’t learn anything she needed for that there, she doesn’t even work in Aesthetics after this school. I went and checked out a bunch of schools, looked at International skin beauty academy, Tricoci University, skin care and spa institute, and pivot point. Tricoci and Pivot point take financial aid so a big plus to me.

anki417 in Chicago, Illinois

51 months ago

Thanks for the info, good to know, how did you like international skin beaty academy? I did some research, looks like they have really good teachers, but the rooms really small. I don't know about tricocci, I think most of the students go there to have fun rather then study ( i realized that after viewing a couple of videos about them on you tube), i heard bad things about skin care and spa institute too.

50 months ago

Yeah, international skin beauty academy was very small, I didn’t like it there at all.

Skin care and spa institute was nice, seamed decent from what I saw and heard.

But still, I need financial aid. So I'm thinking between Tricoci and Pivot Point, I don't know about the u tube, but I was ok there at the school, so was Pivot Point. Did you visit Tricoci and Pivot point yet? What did you think?

50 months ago

anki417 in Chicago, Illinois said: Thanks for the info, good to know, how did you like international skin beaty academy? I did some research, looks like they have really good teachers, but the rooms really small. I don't know about tricocci, I think most of the students go there to have fun rather then study ( i realized that after viewing a couple of videos about them on you tube), i heard bad things about skin care and spa institute too.

Yeah, international skin beauty academy was very small, I didn’t like it there at all.

But still, I need financial aid. So I'm thinking between Tricoci and Pivot Point, I don't know about the u tube, but I was ok there at the school, so was Pivot Point. Did you visit Tricoci and Pivot point yet? What did you think?

angeliclissy in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

does anyone know what it's like to transfer from california to chicago for estheticians? I took 600 hours of school in cali which is the requirement, and took my state board today and only passed the written. any feedback would be great on how to prepare for the state board in chicago and what would transfer..thanks!

ANDREA in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

49 months ago

WHO KNOW WHERE IS THE BEST SCHOOL OF ESTHETICIAN IN EEUU?

tricoci hater in Des Plaines, Illinois

49 months ago

beautywild in Chicago, Illinois said: Yeah, international skin beauty academy was very small, I didn’t like it there at all.

i would STRONGLY recommend u do NOT go to tricoci. i went there and the place was going downhill and fast. theyve over populated the classes, and half the teachers are so tired of being there that they just sit on their asses, gossiping about their personal lives instead of helping you. in fact, one of the teachers, got her license, AS SHE WAS TEACHING US!!! they have really bizarre rules, they charge u if u miss any hours, which considering they charge almost 20,000$ its a little ludicris. and everyone steer clear of "miss katie" shes a real nut job. also, on the clinic floor, they dont have enough stations for you to work, so ull either end up sharing a station with someone or ull have to work on a mannequin for about 8 hours by yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chocolateskye in Chicago, Illinois

49 months ago

I have been looking into attending Tricoci university, Trend setters college of cosmetology, or hair pros for aesthetics. Anyone heard bad reviews about these schools? Ive seen pivot point mentioned but I live in the south suburbs of chicago and I am unsure about the commute to pivot point......I guess more research? Is there a such thing as to much research?

BiaGia in Oak Lawn, Illinois

48 months ago

I would also like to know if anyone has heard about Hair Professionals (HP) in Palos Hills for their Esthetics course. I live in the south suburbs of Chicago and I am considering their program. I would rather not go to Tricoci in Bridgeview. Also, I am wondering how the job market is for new Estheticians. I'm just worried that I'll get my license and be jobless. Anyone?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.