Becoming Certified

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 206)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Raffey in San Jose, California

64 months ago

Hi Angie,

Based on your research how much do these courses cost. I'm thinking of the Certificate courses at calinstitue.org

How does this compare in terms of cost based on what you know.

Thanks,

R

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Brooklyn, New York

64 months ago

Raffey in San Jose, California said: Hi Angie,

Based on your research how much do these courses cost. I'm thinking of the Certificate courses at calinstitue.org

How does this compare in terms of cost based on what you know.

Thanks,

R

Hi Raffey

I went to their site and a few things bothered me. One they don't list the courses and the informatin you will be learning on the site. Two they say it can be completed in 2 months which to me says they aren't providing much information. The price seems good but it really all depends on what information they are providing. I can't really judge the school becuase I have no idea what you will be learning from the website.

Shana in Denton, Texas

63 months ago

Jill Moran, CSEP in Medfield, Massachusetts said: I am developing an Online Certification Program for new planners. www.specialeventsinstitute.com As the author of the best seller, How to Start a Home-based Event Planning Business, and How to Start a Home-based Wedding Planning Business, a CSEP and ISES leader, I am looking forward to offering excellent training for those starting out in the industry. The program will be affordable, complete, developed and designed by experienced planners and all online (with interactive content and blogs!). Be patient and stay tuned..you won't be sorry! Jill Moran, CSEP/Special Events Institute

I'm sorry, but you're program is very expensive!!! You are actually the most expensive I've seen so far!!! The total program is $500 per course totalling over $2,500 and that doesn't even include the books!!! What does your dictionary say affordable is?!?! I'm just wondering...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jill Moran, CSEP in Medfield, Massachusetts

63 months ago

Hi, Shana. Our program is similar to what you might find at a college or university but at a fraction of the cost. It is different from other distant learning programs in that it is interactive, held in 6 week blocks where students interact with each other and the instructor through forums, assignments and case studies. It features collaborative learning with one-on-one mentorship from the instructor to help students refine their event skills. Quizzes and assignments are graded with feedback to allow students to learn and improve. It's not for everyone -but at less than $85 per week, it offers solid training, tools and resources through presentations and videos to help event professionals excel in their career. Best in your search for the right school!

Jill Moran, CSEP

Jenna H. in Washington, District of Columbia

63 months ago

Hi everyone, does anyone have any feedback from the course offered by the American Association of Certified Wedding Planners? (I believe this is the site that offers the Preston Bailey course as well.) This site works with a local community college so I am most comfortable with that. I was just hoping someone had taken the course and could give me some information. It IS a thousand dollars so I'd like any feedback before putting out that kind of money. Feel free to respond here or e-mail me at jennarenae115@MSN.com. thanks!!

Adam in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

An Eventful Affair in Atlanta, Georgia said: Have you tried the "Study at Home" courses, like www.uscareerinstitute.com or www.eventguide.com , www.pennfoster.com and ashworth university; all of these have websites and you can learn at home at your own pace.

And one more from California Institute calinstitute.org

Looks like they will start registering soon for the Summer session..

spope in Richmond Hill, Ontario

63 months ago

Jill,

Can you please let me know what is the diifference in certifications between your couse and somewhere like QC(which I haveheard is fairly good from some on this forum). Are the certifications you offer valid in Canada?

Any info would be appreciated.

63 months ago

Our program offers a curriculum-based certificate of training based on successful completion of the courses and demonstration of learning objectives. The course provides the educational content and allows you to demonstrates your ability to apply your understanding of the materials presented in the courses. Once you have done this, you receive a Certificate. Things you should know:
• Unlike certification, curriculum-based certificates usually do not have ongoing requirements, do not result in an initial designation, and cannot be revoked.
• In certification, the focus is on the assessing current knowledge and skills. In a certificate, the focus is on training individuals to achieve a certain knowledge and skill base.
• The training and assessment usually cover a focused area of knowledge and skills.
• There are usually no ongoing requirements to maintain a certificate; they are more like educational degrees that are granted and never revoked. Some associations do date the certificate, however, so individuals retake the course at certain time intervals.
According to an Oct. 25, 2004 article in Meeting News magazine, Tyra Hilliard, assistant professor of event and meeting management at George Washington University states, “Earning a certification means you have already achieved a certain standard, and you often have to have a certain amount of experience to even apply. With certificate programs, often anyone can enroll, and it’s more about obtaining a new body of knowledge. The International Special Events Society offers a great comparison at www.ises.com/pdf/Certification_vs_Certificate.pdf

Hope this helps!

Jill Moran, CSEP

63 months ago

Here are some links for those interested in obtaining the designations these organizations offer. Just realize you have to either have a B.A. degree or up to 3 years actual work experience in order to qualify in addition to taking the exam. So for those just starting out and trying to choose a school to get a certificate from first figure out EXACTLY what you want to do and make these orgainzations a part of your business plan under 3rd year goals. For now just choose a school that will teach you what you need and only what you need to meet your goals.

www.ises.com/CSEP/CSEPExamOverview/tabid/105/Default.aspx

www.conventionindustry.org/Files/CMP/CMP%202011%20Handbook%20FINAL.pdf

www.mpiweb.org/Education/CMM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kola in Grayson, Georgia

62 months ago

rinrinpin in Dover, New Hampshire said: There is a school based out of NY. Its called the Sheffield School && is only for online. I recently signed up for it and i LOVE IT! I can do everything on my own time since there are no deadlines so it makes it easier and less stressful while i'm working my full time job and also going to SNHU for my business degree. You go through six courses and then have to do 2 virtual projects and once completed, get a certificate in the mail saying you a certified wedding/event planner! I would def. recommend googleing it and looking into it! Its not very expensive either!

I looked up this program but they aren't accredited it seems and QC is... ugh I'm so torn!!! (and I miss my NYC!) I'd really love to find an on campus program or even online degree but they are just so expensive and financial aid has been a nightmare for me. If anyone is in the Atlanta area and interested in brainstorming together I currently work in marketing and have some experience in being a Wedding assistant and experiential marketing campaign assistant (trade shows/car shows/festivals) so I would really love to find some like minds to possibly partner with!

Email me at kolapops@gmail.com to discuss! ... looks like I'm 75% sure about QC so far... meanwhile I'm also waiting for ISES to get back to be on "approved certificate programs" and hope that QC is on the list so I can join with the student discount membership rate - I wish I could attend EVENT WORLD but maybe next year! Hope to hear from some of you soon! Thanks.

62 months ago

Kola

I emailed ISES twice already and haven't heard anything fromt them yet. :( Please come back and share what information you receive. I will to if they EVER get back to me.

Kola in Grayson, Georgia

62 months ago

Well I just emailed LWPI because they seem to be by far the best distance learning program because they not only offer internships but also have on-campus option which is what I was hoping for (so I'm keeping my fingers Xed that they might make room for just one more on their upcoming July class!!!) Not to mention that Prestion Bailey design course looks AMAZING and I certainly plan to enroll in that course aS soon as I complete an actual planning course. I have been an artist since I was old enough to hold a paint brush and I can just imagine myself becoming a force to be reckoned with in this industry so I'm anxious to get started and find some like minds to connect with!!!

Angie- are you planning on starting your own firm in NYC? I'm originally from NYC as well so I am just so tempted to just risk it all and move back up there... who knows maybe in a few years :)

62 months ago

Hi Kola

Yes that is the plan. I will be opening my own business. I might do some volunteering on events this summer but since I intend to get these three certifications this summer I might not have time to do that and work my regular job. I cannot wait to be done and get the ball rolling on the business. I work on the plans daily, it's pretty exciting.

What are you plans once your done?

Kola in Grayson, Georgia

62 months ago

Hey! Well I'm officially on the class roster for LWPI's On-campus event and wedding planning course. I am SO glad I spent so much time comparing courses because I just knew that I would get a lot more from being in an actual class with set hours as opposed to forcing myself to focus and just read a course on my own- and it was only $895! AND they help you with internships or externships which I think is just the icing on the cake. I definitely plan to take the Preston Baily design course soon after, he has truly created THE MOST amazing and beautiful event spaces I have ever seen- and I certainly want to prepare and position myself to have A-list clientele so I'm just excited for the future, and now I'm already one step closer!!! THanks so much for this helpful forum :)

62 months ago

Congrat! I considered that school when I was searching. I almost signed up for the Preston Bailey course at a college near me but I study better through home study, I like to take my time. I start hopefully next month the Wedding Event design course with a different school. For sure next month I start the Bridal Show Production Course and can't wait.

I just got the Floral Design course in the mail yesterday and I'm a few pages in and have learned a lot so far. I looked at a few Floral Design schools here in NY but they weren't for me. That is so key. Come back and let me know how you like the course. Saying you studied took a Preston Bailey course will win you big points!:)

vincentbanks in New York, New York

61 months ago

It's frustrating that there isn't a standardized certification for event planning, because i think it is a great career and should have a reliable route to becoming a legitimate professional in the field. I've been watching online educational videos at www.eventleadershipinstitute.com/ and they've taught me a lot about the business side of event planning, and they are really cheap. It would be nice to get a certificate from somewhere, as well though, to be able to better market myself as a legitimate planner. What is the most cost effective online or brick and mortar school where i can get a certificate and also educate myself more? Are the Preston Bailey courses worth it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cindygolightly in Chatham, Massachusetts

61 months ago

Vincent: I think the CMP programs from ISES or MPI are probably sufficient. It is more for you than others. In 9 years of doing this, I never was asked ONCE for my "certificate". It is all about that attitude you project, etc.

61 months ago

Hello all. I'd like to offer a few thoughts. There are so many ways you can educate yourself: learning from others (internships, volunteering or for pay), courses (at a campus or online), ongoing learning (reading articles, books, watching video given by exerts) or participation in a professional group (like ISES or MPI) that offer education at monthly meetings.

You should decide what you want. All of these methods are valuable. It depends on how much time and financial investment you want and can make to the process.

A program at a school (in person or online) will offer sequential learning that you build upon through use in the field, could culminate in a certificate or degree, would have a syllabus, outline the objectives and outcomes, assessments to test your understanding and typically take longer to complete as you learn, study and absorb the information and put to use in real life.

When I decided to develop the Special Events Institute, I had realized that there were many Hospitality and Meeting Management programs offered but many did not offer courses specifically on special events. As a 24-year event professional and having led education committees for ISES, I saw the importance of making this happen. The online option allowed for everyone - regardless of geographic location - to participate.

Once a student goes through the program (1 year for the basic certificate) they would have been exposed to the fundamentals of event planning, been able to create budgets, timelines, production schedules, risk plans and have the chance to really explore the complexities of event production. For those that have the time, want to develop the skills and can make the commitment to learning - it offers solid education. From there, they can intern, volunteer or build their event practice.

Once a planner has education and experience, they can apply and take the test to become a CSEP, which is wonderful accomplishment. Best to all!

Jill Moran, CSEP

Kryan in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

Dear Jill, I have been looking into your course and I am interested. It is a big financial commitment but I am passionate about this career change and value the cost/benefit of superior education as I currently hold a Master's degree. It this course compares to college classes then it is definetely worth it. I still have a couple of questions:
1. Is there a syllabus or class outline? I am most interested in knowing if the course covers the business aspect of it. That is the main reason I would like to take it because most of professional like me that como from other trades, need help on figuring out how to start. I am reading your book looking for guidance on it.
2. Since this is an interctive class with "virtual classrooom" what is the schedule? I am concern that classes would be schedule in the middle of the day as I have a full time job. I read on the website that the shedule will be delivered after registration but I could not commit without knowing if I will be available to attend "class"
3. Since the course is given by professional in the industry, is there any help in pursuing an intership after? that is the one thing i missed from the outline and considering the cost, I think I will complement the advanced education offered.

I am looking to join the August term, it will really help if I can get this information. Please feel free to respond here or at karlam25@hotmail.com

Thanks, Karla

61 months ago

I have updated the website (www.specialeventsinstitute.com) with objectives for each course and more information on the Specialty Courses.

To answer your inquiries:
1. You can find the outline of topics for each course on the website. Yes, we cover business planning. The course in Event Management/Leadership will be great for those wanting to manage a team or start their own business.

2. The 8-week course allows students to complete assignments at their own pace. Lectures and videos are on the course site and can be viewed at your leisure. Live presentations will be taped and archived to view at a later date. Any forum assignments can be posted and viewed ongoing throughout the course. There are deadlines but you will have plenty of time to plan to meet them.

The beauty of a class that runs in a given time frame is the interactivity of the students and instructor to share stories, projects, give and get feedback -so you are learning with others and getting feedback on your work. You aren't alone in your education process!

3. The internship or practicum aspect is one we find most important and have plans to create a resource bank for students. This would be a capstone to the program, allowing students to put their education into action. I am confident our advisory group (see their bios on the website) and other event professionals will welcome the chance to work with a Special Events Institute student!

I hope this has been helpful! I look forward to seeing you in our virtual hallways!

Jill Moran, CSEP
Executive Director
Special Events Institute

Regina Hayes in Brooklyn, New York

61 months ago

Jill

I have reviewed your course outline and compared it to others and I can't really see why you are charging so much. Other schools seem to cover a lot more information and I wouldn't have to purchase books seperately. If I can get the books you recommend from Amazon why do I need your course at all. I can just purchase them on my own and take less expensive course with more information included. Most here want to do weddings and other schools really focus on that only your school seems more for other events. For that NYU has a great program for Event Planning.

I don't think a course is automatically better just because professionals are the tutors for it. Other less expensive schools also have professionals who created their courses. In regards to question number three above the simple answer seems to be no you don't have internships right now. I don't think your school is accredited either is it? For that price it should be and should include internshihps.

After reading these forums and reviewing all the options of schools I can't really see where your course warrants such a high price and is better than any other course offered information wise. I'm all for paying for what I want but it should be worth the price. You seem to be making a lot of money off a career that doesn't even require a certificate, diploma or anything else.

What about your school warrants the price?

61 months ago

The program at Special Events Institute offers courses that are 8-weeks in length, are instructor-led with clearly define learning objectives and outcomes. We offer current instructional materials with learning activities and assessments that support a solid foundation in event planning. All forms of planning are included in each course – including corporate, non-profit and weddings. For students only interested in weddings, the instructional material can be applied nicely.

The combination of presentations, videos, textbook readings, assignments, case studies and forum activities all supported by an instructor’s guidance and feedback, create a robust and interactive learning environment. While it is possible to gain a great deal of information from only one of these learning vehicles -such as only reading the textbooks or viewing only videos - we feel that this varied approach maximizes results for students.

I am familiar with the instructors and program at NYU – they are colleagues of mine and are an excellent option for area students. If you do not have access to a brick-and-mortar program such as NYU, our online institute can be a great option and is a bit more affordable.

Our cost is based on the individualized nature of an instructor-led course. We have designed the program to achieve accreditation from the Distance Learning and Education Council and are in place to do so (based on number of years offered and students who have completed the program). Internships will be at no additional cost.

I can only speak for our program and instructors and am pleased to offer this quality resource to the event community. Best of luck for finding the program that best fits your needs!

Jill Moran, CSEP

michelehaught in El Paso, Texas

61 months ago

I KNOW I AM IN THE WRONG FORUM BUT I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SUBMIT MY RESUME TO ALOT OF EMPLOYERS AT ONCE, I HATE FILLING OUT SO MANY APPILCATIONS. MY RESUME IS BASIC AND WILL WORK WITH ALL KINDS OF DIFFERENT TRADES?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Peggy in San Diego, California

60 months ago

WHITE WEDDINGS in Brampton, Ontario said: Hi,
I am a wedding planner in Toronto (Peel) - I have over 20 years of experience in Wedding and Event Planning... most of you wanted to know if you can get busy doing this and I certainly am... so busy in fact that I am seriously thinking of doing a workshop twice a year to teach what I know... partly because I really think that you have to go on the field after learning the basics to understand the whole dynamics of this job. And, I need a holiday. Actually, my only problem is referring to other planners, because I don't know how well they are trained. So, I end up working on my holidays, calling the planner that I refered a bride to... so I live off my blackbery, satellite phones and Ipad... and absolutely no hotels where I don't get internet access in my room or by the pool... hence the life of a wedding planner... or at least this wedding planner...Oh, the secret of my success.... POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND GREAT MARKETING SKILLS :) - Yes, I also know my job inside and out. I live and breathe it...If anyone in my area is interested in my possible future workshop, let me know.
I would be very interested in your workshops. Please email with more information. Thank you,
Peggy Baxter

Tille in Ottawa, Ontario

59 months ago

I am also debating on what school to go too. Has anyone heard of WPIC? Wedding Planners Institute of Canada.. They offer an in class conference over the course of a full weekend and then 2 weeks of review to become certified. It seems to me like it would be rushed.. anyone have any insight?

Other than that, I am highly considering both Sheffield and QC.

Please help!

abby in Windsor, Ontario

59 months ago

I am hoping to take event planning and event decoration courses from home.Does any body have comments/advice or opinions on the course at Qc school of event and wedding planning.Or can you recommend an excellent program in the Windsor/Essex area of Ontario Thank you.

abby in Windsor, Ontario

59 months ago

I would be interested in the workshops.keep me posted

I am a wedding planner in Toronto (Peel) - I have over 20 years of experience in Wedding and Event Planning... most of you wanted to know if you can get busy doing this and I certainly am... so busy in fact that I am seriously thinking of doing a workshop twice a year to teach what I know... partly because I really think that you have to go on the field after learning the basics to understand the whole dynamics of this job. And, I need a holiday. Actually, my only problem is referring to other planners, because I don't know how well they are trained. So, I end up working on my holidays, calling the planner that I refered a bride to... so I live off my blackbery, satellite phones and Ipad... and absolutely no hotels where I don't get internet access in my room or by the pool... hence the life of a wedding planner... or at least this wedding planner...Oh, the secret of my success.... POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND GREAT MARKETING SKILLS :) - Yes, I also know my job inside and out. I live and breathe it...If anyone in my area is interested in my possible future workshop, let me know.

Christal Finch in Mattoon, Illinois

59 months ago

Your best approach to Corporate Event planning is to own your own events company and contract out OR start out in an Administrative Assistant role. They are usually who plan meetings and Events for the corporation. that is currently what I am doing. I started out as the bosses assistant, they now have me titled as Marketing and Event Coordinator. With that title and a few seminars and purchasing the CIC manual....I am on my way to CMP certification. I was able to open my own event planning business on the side. Good Luck!

Jenni in Waterford, Michigan said: I want to get into corporate event planning
Where do i even start?
What colleges even offer such curriculum?

Kathy in Memphis, Tennessee

57 months ago

EventPlannerChick in Palm Springs, California said: Any recommendations for becoming certified as an Event Planner and Wedding Consultant? I have had trouble locating schools that offer actual certification. A lot just offer training...any tips would be helpful. shannonmarie24@yahoo.com

I have not checked to see whether distance learning is an option since you are in Cali, but I found the following in TN due to my interest in certification:

Meeting and Event Planning Professional Certificate

The outreach and continuing education department at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville offers several programs in professional and personal development, including a professional certificate program in meeting and event planning. This non-credit program prepares graduates to manage client expectations and plan high-quality events. Coursework includes budgeting for meeting and event planning, understanding contracts, site selection and corporate events. An elective course is also offered that helps students prepare for the Certified Meeting Planner exam. In addition to coursework, students complete a fieldwork experience and planning project. The meeting and event planning certificate program at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville is endorsed by the East Tennessee Meeting Professionals (ETMP).

Contact Information
Address: The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996

jadyn in San Francisco, California

55 months ago

I was wondering if anyone knew if there are Wedding & Event Planning courses in spanish in the Bay Area or online? And are the online course certificates really mean anything?

Thank-you all for your time.
J

dance&etiquette in Bristow, Virginia

53 months ago

Has anyone heard about CEWPI (Certified Event and Wedding Professional International)?

MrsCallahan in Kansas City, Missouri

53 months ago

Were you able to find the funds for the Washington University? I'm trying to find a school that will accept financial aid for wedding and event planning but cant find many.

Antonio in Washington, District of Columbia said: Hello, Ladies

I decided to not take the course because no one could seem to tell me the difference in the training and also no one was able to tell me anything about the school and the courses. With the economy being the way it is right now, I do not wish to spend $1000+ on a course and not get anywhere in my career.

Also, I am going to continue seeking grants and financial Aid to to attend the George Washington University Event Management Certificate program which is extremely expensive.

Nicki in Daisetta, Texas

51 months ago

I was wondering if anyone enrolled in, and completed the Jill Moran Special Events Institute program? If so, did you feel like the program gave you knowledge of the skills and tools needed to be well educated in Event Planning?

hemsa in Aurora, Ontario

50 months ago

I am a wedding planner in Toronto (Peel) - I have over 20 years of experience in Wedding and Event Planning ... most of you wanted to know if you can get busy doing this and I certainly am... so busy in fact that I am seriously thinking of doing a workshop twice a year to teach what I know... partly because I really think that you have to go on the field after learning the basics to understand the whole dynamics of this job. And, I need a holiday. Actually, my only problem is referring to other planners, because I don't know how well they are trained. So, I end up working on my holidays, calling the planner that I refered a bride to... so I live off my blackbery, satellite phones and Ipad... and absolutely no hotels where I don't get internet access in my room or by the pool... hence the life of a wedding planner... or at least this wedding planner...Oh, the secret of my success.... POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND GREAT MARKETING SKILLS :) - Yes, I also know my job inside and out. I live and breathe it...If anyone in my area is interested in my possible future workshop, let me know.

I am in Aurora, Ontario and I would be interested in learning more from you about Event Planning. Please email me at harcher001@gmail.com.

Thank you

White-Weddings in Brampton, Ontario

50 months ago

Hi
Do you speak French, that is a huge asset. Firstly, what do you need to become an event planner... well, you are definitely halfway there with your education, so if you want to become an EVENTS planner here, you should have some knowledge of some or all the above.
PR & MARKETING
SALES
FUNDRAISING AND NON-PROFIT LAWS (SPECIALLY TAX BENEFITS)
CITY BY-LAWS
SPECIAL OCCASIONS LAW
HOSPITALITY
SPACE PLANNING & DESIGN
FOOD MANAGEMENT

COMPANIES THAT HIRE EVENTS PEOPLE:
Convention Centers like the International Centre or the Toronto Convention Center
ACCESS ON
Government Offices that may have to do fundraisers like the Toronto Police Board or Police Boards for other Cities
City Government Offices that speciales in Tourism
Advertising companies like Saatchi & Saatchi, Ryan's Group or Balmoral Communications... the the obvious, hotels, resorts and banquet facilitY

Carly in Plymouth, United Kingdom

49 months ago

HI All,

Interesting discussions here. I am sort of torn between just getting a certification (there are some available locally) or doing <a href="www.terbell.co.uk/training/are-you-considering-event-management-degrees.html">event management at university</a> which would mean moving away, and would take longer.

What can you recommend as people who have probably taken both routes? Is one better? I want to manage corporate events - ideally managing large trade shows with multiple exhibitors however I'm happy to learn this from the 'exhibitor' perspective first.

sgb8098 in Woodstock, Georgia

49 months ago

I reside in / around the Atlanta area. I have years of administrative and public relations. I have decided to transition into event planning and personal shopping for personal and professionals. I am already volunteering for an event planner re: Special events (wedding, b-days, receptions ) then, I am also volunteering as an event assistant for a purse designer and have been assisting her for her fashion shows and photo shoots.
I am debating on what my next step should be to build a portfolio / website?
I have contacted websites of personal shopper & event planners and asked what they would consider pro / con of their friends and what they would recommend for a new comer.

Any suggestions would be helpful thank you

judel in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

A quick google search will probably provide you with a proper list of such schools. You can also opt for online courses, which will be way more convenient and also cheaper.

sgb8098 in Woodstock, Georgia

49 months ago

ive though and have done that but goodness. what is legit and not, does that make sense?

Susan in Meridian, Idaho

49 months ago

I found different event design, wedding/event planning and floral design courses here: www.prestonbailey.com/education/ . I love Preston Bailey's blog! These were the only courses I found that I could take in Spanish. It has a link to look for classes at different colleges and a friend of mine was able to use financial aid for her class.

Elise in Oviedo, Florida

48 months ago

IF all certificate/certification courses are equal - and I agree that there are many quality programs to choose from, most are done with you when you're done with them. Enough to get you started, but where do you go from there? The Association of Bridal Consultants is the "standard for wedding excellence" and offers advanced designations, including Master Bridal Consultant/Master Wedding Vendor, continuing education, seminars and an annual international conference. You might just find that ABC's Professional Development Program is about the best bargain as well, but you do have to join first. For those who have selected other programs, we welcome you now or upon completion of your current program when you need some support and help getting started. Visit www.bridalassn.com for more information.

Elise in Oviedo, Florida

48 months ago

Carly in Plymouth, United Kingdom said: HI All,

(there are some available locally) or doing <a href=" www.terbell.co.uk/training/are-you-considering-event-management-degrees.html">event management at university</a> which would mean moving away, and would take longer.

What can you recommend as people who have probably taken both routes? Is one better? I want to manage corporate events - ideally managing large trade shows with multiple exhibitors however I'm happy to learn this from the 'exhibitor' perspective first.

Interesting discussions here. I am sort of torn between just getting a certification
I am not only the Association of Bridal Consultants Director of Education, but teach in a collegiate event management program. There is no "correct" answer, just like there is no one recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Many successful people in the wedding/event industry have no degree or have a degree or former career in something unrelated. However, to "fast track" it's definitely an advantage to having some related coursework. Classes and courses in wedding and event planning haven't been around as long as Algebra and Chemistry, and it's constantly changing. At the end of the day, you're only as good as your last event and your reputation is critical. You've got to be able to deliver what you promise - you don't get second chances or doovers in weddings and events. Experience counts. Get as much "hands on" as you can to supplement any courses you take. Elise

Jess U in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

I am currently making a career change. I was a hotel manager and am looking into becoming an event planner. I have a BS in hospitality management and I would like to find a physical school in New york City were I would be able to learn more about the field. Does anybody know of any schools? would it be useful to have some type of certificate if I already have BS in hospitality management?

rocheleleff@*****.*** in Montreal, Quebec

44 months ago

hey i was looking to taking a course in event planning from QC event planning, anyone heard of it? or got their degree from there?

waukecia

43 months ago

Im currently in the dental field and trying to follow my career goal as a event planner im in need of a little advice please e-mail me @ waukeciawaugh@ yahoo.com

Camilleb in Hollywood, Florida

42 months ago

I am curious if anyone has taken the Jill Moran course by the Special Events Institute? The partial review looks great, but I can;t seem to find any other information on it. Also there is no address or phone number listed on the contact us page.....

dommyfnpretty in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

EventPlannerChick in Palm Springs, California said: Any recommendations for becoming certified as an Event Planner and Wedding Consultant ? I have had trouble locating schools that offer actual certification. A lot just offer training...any tips would be helpful. shannonmarie24@yahoo.com

yes because at my school they plan you to be a scholar and people that will be great in live but i what to be a wedding planner but how a m i am going to be awedding planner if i dont even know the first thing about doing this job in the first place and this is i love to do plan things

josephthompson7265 in Hammond, Indiana

33 months ago

so wait, do I or do I not need anything to plan my own events. Not someone else's, just mine. I run a small firm out of my apartment that normally handles events. We have two clients: Myself, and one other person who we do some hands free promoting for. I don't want a list of college courses, I have enough of those. BA soon, MBA after that. I just want to know: can I go to jail or something if I don't have a certificate or certification to plan events.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AshleyGreene in Brooklyn, Maryland

29 months ago

I am avidly trying to get into the event planning field. I have experience in planning various small social events and charity events but have yet to hold a full time position in the field. I have a college degree but have had a very difficult time getting into the industry with my experience. It seems a certificate program or at least a seminar to get my feet wet. I am in the Boston area- can anyone offer suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated as my job search seems to be at a stand still

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Amanda B. in Minneapolis, Minnesota

19 months ago

I have been recently laid off. I am looking to transition into the Event Planning Industry. In Minnesota we have a program called the Dislocated Worker Program. This program will pay for Certificates and Licences that will make you more employable. I am looking for an accredited or well respected Industry Certificate program here in Minnesota. Does anyone have any options for me? As a side note the Dislocated Worker Program only pays for one Certification or License course, it will not pay for any two year or four year degrees.

I want to clarify that I am starting out in this industry and I am looking for a Training Certificate not an Industry Certification (Designation), I do not qualify yet for Certification. I know there are a lot of certificate mills out there and I am trying to avoid those.

Thank-you!!!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.