Wanting to Become a Wedding Planner, looking for internships to help my get a feel for the Business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Cheryl_ in San Angelo, Texas

63 months ago

Im attending College in Texas. Im 19 years old. I have thought about becoming a Wedding Planner and looking for avenues to get me started. What has really interested me is getting an internship from a Professional Wedding Planner. Iv contacted Planners near me, and where i would like to move eventually which is Colorado, and none of them have contacted me back. Im not sure if i handled it the wrong way or if they just dont want to help me?? So im looking for any Professional Wedding Planners who would simply help me to understand the Business and get some experience (even shadowing a Professional Planner would be amazing as well). Although I would love also an internship during the summer sometime, I can travel out of state to accomplish that if needed. Just would love any help that is given!! Its much appreciated!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary P. in Erie, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Are you looking to start your own business or just gain some experience? Most planners don't want to take those on board who are thinking of starting their own business in the same area...its the competition I guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl_ in San Angelo, Texas

62 months ago

Well yes I plan to start my own business someday. But really I would love an internship somewhere I wont live (like go stay for a summer somewhere and shadow them through their weddings/events that summer),to gain experience and learn all i can, like someone to look up to, if you understand that. Iv realized that they think Im competition here in my College Town, Iv asked Wedding Planners if I could shadow them during weekends or anything for me to learn more, needless to say they didnt give me the time of day. But I plan to move to Colorado in the future to start my Business. Any help you could give me would be great. Im assuming your a Wedding Planner yourself??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary P. in Erie, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Yes I am and I'll see what I can do especially since things have been very busy for me. But email me at SimplyUnique021@hotmail.com and we'll chat or you can ask me your questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sadgrove in London, United Kingdom

52 months ago

People always want to become an intern, and it almost never happens. Applicants somehow expect that a wedding planner will want to take them on. But wedding planners are usually sole practitioners, with a well developed sense of self-preservation. If they have an assistant, it'll be someone with no aspirations to be a competitor.

So if you want to be a wedding planner, you'll have to take the plunge. And if you can't get to be an intern, extend your knowledge by taking a course, such as this one:
www.inst.org/wedding-planner-courses/become.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

midnitestars in Woodside, New York

28 months ago

Mary P. in Erie, Pennsylvania said: Are you looking to start your own business or just gain some experience? Most planners don't want to take those on board who are thinking of starting their own business in the same area...its the competition I guess.

wow thank you but i need a lot of help can you help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BrittanyB in Denver, Colorado

25 months ago

DebbieO in Arvada, Colorado said: It is difficult to get an internship. As an experienced planner, I get up to twenty inquiries per week for internships and jobs. We haven't had an opening in more than two years and aren't able to take on interns. Most planners operate by themselves and don't have enough tasks to take on an intern.

You can check out www.plannerslounge.com for a ton of valuable information and advice on becoming a planner.

Hi Debbie,
I am a student attending college at Johnson and Wales University in Denver, CO. I am majoring in sports/event/entertainment management and very close to graduating I am also looking for opportunities and jobs this summer to gain experience. Do you have any suggestions?

kbrown6280 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

13 months ago

BrittanyB in Denver, Colorado said: Hi Debbie,
I am a student attending college at Johnson and Wales University in Denver, CO. I am majoring in sports/ event / entertainment management and very close to graduating I am also looking for opportunities and jobs this summer to gain experience. Do you have any suggestions?

Hi Brittany,

Did you ever find any additional information out? Interestingly enough, I am a JWU grad from North Miami. I majored in Business Management, but have always dreamed of being an event planner/wedding consultant. I would love to hear about your suggestions.

Ashley Vidoli in Pittsfield, Massachusetts

9 months ago

Hi Everyone!

I am excited to finally begin my search for an internship in the wedding/ special events field. I am currently a junior at Johnson and Wales studying Sports, Entertainment, Event Management. I cant wait to get out there and give my all planning all kinds of special events. Knowing that experience is key in this industry, I have been volunteering and working with the University's Event Manager every chance I get.

You can reach me at asvidoli@yahoo.com

Thanks so much!

samantha in Bloomfield, New Jersey

9 months ago

I'm attending a community college in NJ. I'm 20 years old soon to be 21. I have always wanted to be a wedding planner since I was a little girl. I'm just not sure how to go about that. I've called some wedding banquets in my area and I've got nothing. I'm looking for an intern or shadowing job. Honestly, I'll take anything I just want to be apart of the experience and really make my dream come true. I'm looking for any professional wedding planners that can make that happen. I'm willing to travel anywhere out or in state if its necessary. Just would love someones feedback. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Colleen R. in Morris Plains, New Jersey

7 days ago

samantha in Bloomfield, New Jersey said: I'm attending a community college in NJ. I'm 20 years old soon to be 21. I have always wanted to be a wedding planner since I was a little girl. I'm just not sure how to go about that. I've called some wedding banquets in my area and I've got nothing. I'm looking for an intern or shadowing job. Honestly, I'll take anything I just want to be apart of the experience and really make my dream come true. I'm looking for any professional wedding planners that can make that happen. I'm willing to travel anywhere out or in state if its necessary. Just would love someones feedback. Thanks!

Hi Samantha,
I will be my wedding in NYC on Sept. 20th, 2014. All of the wedding has been planned, but we could certainly use your wedding coordinator services on the day of the event. Making sure things are just as they should be, calling any late vendors, etc. items like that would be expected. It will be a small wedding of 60-75 guests, so it would be a good trial run for you. Let me know if you're interested and your rate (colleen.m.roche@gmail.com).

Thanks,
Colleen R.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.