how to become an event planner. I could use some help

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

mikey54 in Alpharetta, Georgia

33 months ago

Hello - I live in Atlanta Georgia and I am very interested in becoming an event planner/coordinator. For the past 11 years I have been planning church events for teenagers in the Atlanta area and I have been successful at it. Now I would like to brach out however i do not know what steps I need to take. I have a degree in Communications From Reinhardt University.

If someone out there could help me that would be great.

thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ren Gillbert in New york, United States minor outlying islands

32 months ago

Hello mikey, Its interesting to knew about your success.It seems that you have keen interest in event planning.According to me,To become a successful event planner in starting stage few basic things keep in mind.
1)Flexibility
2)Time management
3)Passions
4)Planning should be out of the box.for that think out of the box(new thoughts,ideas)
5)Communication skills,presentation skills.Last but not the list is communication but as you explained above you have a degree in communication . So you hav eto work on basic 4 points. All the best . If you have other queries then please ask. All the best
I think this will help you for growing your business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sgb8098 in Woodstock, Georgia

27 months ago

mikey54 in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Hello - I live in Atlanta Georgia and I am very interested in becoming an event planner/coordinator. For the past 11 years I have been planning church events for teenagers in the Atlanta area and I have been successful at it. Now I would like to brach out however i do not know what steps I need to take. I have a degree in Communications From Reinhardt University.

thank you

I would like to find out information about proper certification in / around the atlanta area.

sgb8098 in Woodstock, Georgia

27 months ago

mikey54 in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Hello - I live in Atlanta Georgia and I am very interested in becoming an event planner/coordinator. For the past 11 years I have been planning church events for teenagers in the Atlanta area and I have been successful at it. Now I would like to brach out however i do not know what steps I need to take. I have a degree in Communications From Reinhardt University.

thank you

Hi there. I am interesting in finding out information about where in / around Atlanta I should go to ear my certification. I have 12 years as an independent contractor for national PR events. Looking forward to hearing from you

Greg in Seattle, Washington

15 months ago

mikey54 in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Hello - I live in Atlanta Georgia and I am very interested in becoming an event planner / coordinator . For the past 11 years I have been planning church events for teenagers in the Atlanta area and I have been successful at it. Now I would like to brach out however i do not know what steps I need to take. I have a degree in Communications From Reinhardt University.

thank you

This is a great website if you want to learn now to transition into the world of event planning. www.becomeaneventplannernow.com. I love the site. It was super helpful and the email advice was amazing.

15 months ago

This website is terrific and the email advice was amazing. www.becomeaneventplannernow.com

Sirena in Colorado

11 months ago

It is very difficult to find an entry-level job in event planning; and that is because companies and organizations, especially in this economy, do not have the time, the people, or the resources to teach you anything. They need to hire people who can hit the ground running and really help them succeed, instead of being a burden.

So instead of looking for a job that will teach you, I suggest you switch your mentality toward one of learning everything you can in order to make yourself more employable. Read this page for much more on this topic (and many other topics to help beginner event planners):

www.careers-in-event-planning.com/career-planning.html

Hang in there; it's not easy but it's worth it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Hi Sirena:

Your link doesn't work.

KathyinSC in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

8 months ago

mikey54 in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Hello - I live in Atlanta Georgia and I am very interested in becoming an event planner / coordinator . For the past 11 years I have been planning church events for teenagers in the Atlanta area and I have been successful at it. Now I would like to brach out however i do not know what steps I need to take. I have a degree in Communications From Reinhardt University.

thank you

With your experience and education you should be able to step into an event planner position. I started at a local Hotel and didn't have as much experience as you seem to have. Wishing you a ton of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer DeLuca in Vancouver, British Columbia

6 months ago

You're probably best off to try and start your own business as an event planner if you are finding difficulty getting a job. Most event planners and wedding planners are actually self employed, statistics show this to an overwhelming extent. You have a lot more control by starting a business in the field as opposed to looking for a job. As long as you know how to market yourself. But it sounds like your experience in your church will be helpful. If this is a dream of yours, I say go for it! Thats what I did, and I have not looked back since! Having the time of my life planning mainly weddings for clients.

KathyinSC in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina said: With your experience and education you should be able to step into an event planner position. I started at a local Hotel and didn't have as much experience as you seem to have. Wishing you a ton of luck!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.