Entry Level Finance Job that is not sales?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

jjohnsonCO in Colorado Springs, Colorado

74 months ago

Hello all!

I'm currently in the process of changing careers. I have found I'm more of an analytical thinker rather than a seller. But I'm also finding that the only way to get a job as a financial analyst is to already have several years of experience in finance.

So far the only entry level positions I can find in finance involve selling. I'm not opposed to selling, I just know it's not my strongest trait. I do like helping people with their finances and analyzing financial data.

So right now I am in the process of trying to get hired on as a teller or banker. These positions seem to be a better balance of customer service and selling compared to insurance sales, which is mostly selling (and not really finance anyway).

Ideally in the long run, I would like to get into corporate financial management, but I know I need the experience as a financial analyst first, which means I need the basic finance experience before that.

So my question is, are there any entry level finance positions that would be more analytical rather than sales? What are some potential job titles and companies to apply for?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jrmiddle in San Francisco, California

65 months ago

Hey jjohnsonCO,

I'm in almost exactly the same boat; the difference being I'm not a sales person but rather an engineering manager. I'd love to hear about anything you find; I've run into the same wall you have, and have also had a difficult time finding advice from those working in the field.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ava Goodwin in Berkeley, California

34 months ago

jjohnsonCO and jrmiddle,

I wanted to share this resource that has helped me move forward in the finance industry. This job board has hundreds of opportunities within the finance sector that are NOT sales. (Check out quality names such as Deloitte!)

Here is a link: on.fb.me/uu3wpB. Hope this helps you!

Best of luck during your job hunt,
Ava

delcshimo in Manasquan, New Jersey

29 months ago

Yea same boat here, I put my resume on all the websites and all the jobs that contacted me are commission/sales jobs like Prudential, Axa, Aflac. I dont get how I'm gona to know people to sell insurance too. Hopefully Ill find some better finance jobs.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.