Top financial advisor skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every financial advisor must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your financial advisor expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Rob in East Orange, New Jersey

89 months ago

I was told that a people person, which I am considered to be, is a huge factor.

I posted above you about passing the licensing exam, But I am confident my people skills, likable personality and raw skill to sell will play a major part in my projected success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Virginia Beach, Virginia

52 months ago

As an advisor myself, you need to prospect, prospect, prospect. Even the veterans of the industry struggle with lack of prospects at times. You need to be fearless on the phone, and effectively get referrals.

The financial planning knowledge will come with time. In the meantime, use planners that have been in the industry for a long time for their help once you have someone who wants to work with you. People will respect that you have matched them up with somebody who can help them, rather than tried to guess at what they should do yourself.

If you have good financial knowledge, great, but don't let that lead you to thinking people are going to start knocking the door down to see you. It takes years and years to build a sustainable business. The money can be great (I mean, you are a professional giving advice), but remember, 89% of the people who enter this business fail. Many more struggle, and just a few do everything right - provide top notch advice and service, and get paid handsomely to do so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.