Does series 3 + series 6 = series 7??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

dr690n in Honolulu, Hawaii

32 months ago

Hi everyone,

I have my series 6 and life and health. I'm going to take my business in a more wholistic planning direction and so I was whether or not I can take the series 3 instead of the series 7 since i already have the series 6.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Wealth Manager in Pleasanton, California

32 months ago

The series 3 is specifically for futures contracts and is not the same as the series 7 which is a general securities license. You need the series 7 if you want to do commission based business (stocks, bonds, etc). If you are looking to do fee based advisory only than you will either want the series 65 or series 66. Check your state requirements on this.

dr690n in Honolulu, Hawaii

32 months ago

thanks wealth manager I was wondering though if I already have a series 6 and 63 can I just take my series 3 and 65? or Do I HAVE TO take the sreies 7 and 66?

Wealth Manager in Pleasanton, California

32 months ago

dr--You will need to check on the requirements that are specific to your state. The series 3 is only for selling/brokering futures contracts....it is not a substitute for the series 7 which allows you to sell stocks, bonds, UITs, etc...If you do not do commission based business (you only do fee based business) the series 65 or series 66 may be enough but once again you need to check on with your state.

Series 7 Exam Tutor in Pennington, New Jersey

7 months ago

Not sure how the series 3 makes you holistic but the answer is no, as others have said. It all depends on what you want to do, as to which exams would be required.

Michael Weiss, CFA
www.series7examtutor.com
www.series65examttuor.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.