Looking young - Is it a problem for entry level financial advisors?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

DanM1001 in Newark, Delaware

56 months ago

In May I will graduate from college with a degree in Finance. I'm currently considering whether or not to pursue a career as a financial advisor.

However, one of my main concerns is the fact that I look very young. I understand the high turnover rate in this business and I am aware of the difficulty in building a client base. It is difficult enough as an entry level associate learning the business.

If I were a professional I would be turned off by a young financial advisor. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wealth Manager in Livermore, California

56 months ago

It's a hurdle but looking young isn't going to stop you from being successful assuming you are willing to put in the work necessary. Don't get me wrong...there will be some older clients that will hesitate to work with someone who is young and new. You'll just have to work harder, prospect more and in the process gain some experience. Some people will always find a reason why something can't work (too young, too old, small town, saturated market, etc, etc). If you want to do this don't listen to anybody and just do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

younger advisor in Columbus, Georgia

56 months ago

I'm a 28 year old advisor. I've only had one or two of the 100 or so client's I've met with so far say anything about my age. It's not about how long you look; it's about how professional you look, how you carry yourself, your maturity, your confidence, and your ability to interact with people who are of a different generation. If you can interact personally yet respectfully with someone who is older than you (old enough to be your grandparent) you'll be ok. If anyone brings up that "objection" there are a few ways to respond (they're posted on the internet) Just find one that you feel comfortable with and rehearse it and don't worry about someone bringing it up.
This business is challenging, whether you're old or young.
Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 year old advisor in Concord, California

32 months ago

I agree with these two guys.But, This job is a roller coaster. Most days your down a few days your up. Being young the problems i run into have nothing to do with talking to clients but rather having a support system that works. If you have to do everything from scratch its very difficult. Cold calling is a thing of the past...hate to say it but tis true. Best methods [obviosly] are referrals. But my plan of attack is to get in front of as many people as you can and create awareness of a problem. what i do is make up a story about a person who is similar in demographic to the person i'm in front of and explain how this person has valued my help and how easy you've made there lives. hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ejonesassoc in Scottsdale, Arizona

29 months ago

DanM1001 in Newark, Delaware said: In May I will graduate from college with a degree in Finance . I'm currently considering whether or not to pursue a career as a financial advisor .

However, one of my main concerns is the fact that I look very young. I understand the high turnover rate in this business and I am aware of the difficulty in building a client base. It is difficult enough as an entry level associate learning the business.

If I were a professional I would be turned off by a young financial advisor. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help!

In our opinion, it isn't the look of the individual as much as the qualities of the individual that will make or break you in this industry. A lot of people will not mind someone who is younger as long as they are clearly knowledgeable on the topic of finance and financial planning, easy to get along with (this is CRUCIAL), and willing to listen in order to develop a personalized plan. This has always been our approach at Ernest J Jones Associates. Hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Series 7 Exam Tutor in Pennington, New Jersey

10 months ago

If you look very young or young for your age, it could be a negative for you. People might be less likely to invest a large amount of money with you. Looking young will however, benefit you when you get older. With all that said, you can make your youthful appearance a non factor by knowing investments very well and being able to sell that you know investments very well

Michael Weiss, CFA
www.series7examtutor.com
www.series65examtutor.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.