New Career as Financial Advisor

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Harry123 in Cranberry Twp, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

Small Business owner for 25 years currently considering changing careers. Would like to take a year off work (or work part time) and using the time off to educate my self to be a financial advisor. What are the best obtains for obtaining the necessary education and getting certified with out committing to a specific company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mee in Arlington, Virginia

38 months ago

You can go back to school and study for a financial planning degree as I know there are some financial planning schools out there, but in order to get securities licenses you would have to be sponsored by a financial company. There is no other way.

Wealth Manager in Dublin, California

36 months ago

Hi Harry--I am a financial advisor of 8 years and came to the industry with a background similiar to yours (small business owner for 15 years). The ramp up period for this career is long so I would suggest you simply start up now. As you work yourself through the first few years of the career you will most likely find the market segment or client type you will want to work with. In my opinion this is the time to further your education because you will then understand what knowledge would be of the greatest benefit to your clients.

Wealth Manager in Dublin, California

36 months ago

Hi Harry--I am a financial advisor of 8 years and came to the industry with a background similiar to yours (small business owner for 15 years). The ramp up period for this career is long so I would suggest you simply start up now. As you work yourself through the first few years of the career you will most likely find the market segment or client type you will want to work with. In my opinion this is the time to further your education because you will then understand what knowledge would be of the greatest benefit to your clients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.