Series 7 Preperation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 55)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

A4Fd in Saddle Brook, New Jersey

82 months ago

Hey guys, Just putting this out there:

How many of you gentlemen had a tough time w/ the series 7? (failed once or more)

I passed my LAH in septermber and this is next for Axa...I have the STC Material, STC DVD's, and an ebay user's personal notes. (i will make my own as well but these will help)

I believe I have all the tools, but are there any tips you can provide to me? I have been having trouble focusing and sticking w/ the study plan...

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

L in New York, New York

78 months ago

Hey, I would suggest using Knopman Financial Training. They have programs that you can put on your iPod, and it made it very convenient for me to study. check out their site at www.knopman.com it is always helpful to have extra tools.

The key to passing is reading the book and not just going through practice questions. When you get something wrong, go back and reread that chapter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

mark in Morrisville, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

I just studied the STC and scored an 89%. I read the whole book, studies the areas I highlighted and took all the sample exams twice. Passing this test was the easiest thing about the job. Don't stress the test, stress over getting people to give you money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Misskimm in Westland, Michigan

77 months ago

I was interested about AXA, do they pay alary + commission? Is training paid? How do you get clients, and do you work out of the home office? Thanks guys.. Oh is the Series exams in the same realm as the Life and Health, I passed it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

T-Diddy in Racine, Wisconsin

77 months ago

The 7 is easy !! STC is very clear and DONT read the notes from Ebay because I know the person you bought them from if they are on Adobe and they are not up to date. Go to a one week class is the best option if you can afford it. If you belong in the field than the test will come easy. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Thanks t diddy,

I remember in one of your threads, you said you teach the series 7...

I ditched those notes and went w/ Frank dima's notes (totalseries7.com) I highly suggest these.

These are very to the point and come w/ audio lessons I also bought some audio lessons on Ebay which I HIGHLY recommend for everyone else!

Its sometimes easier to understand when someone is explaining it to you rather than just reading over and over

I have my next test w/in a month and Im sticking to a fierce schedule, evry day 4-6 hours at the library and test questions when I come home until my test date

I will be attending the stc class, axa pays for it for us

yes, axa pays commission plus bonus or salary plus commission

Mark, you got an 89% just studying the STC book and test questions?

Impressive. What was your study regime like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

axa sends me to stc for free , so i like stc ;) not to mention if you get the right teacher, It makes all the difference

I take my 7 on the 24th I will go into "hibernation" to study for it very soon!

Check out totalseries7.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

michael in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

mark in Morrisville, Pennsylvania said: I just studied the STC and scored an 89%. I read the whole book, studies the areas I highlighted and took all the sample exams twice. Passing this test was the easiest thing about the job. Don't stress the test, stress over getting people to give you money.

Mark can you give me some pointers of how to approach the test. Did you take any study classes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

J N Sweeney in Rancho Cucamonga, California

73 months ago

A4Fd in Saddle Brook, New Jersey said: Hey guys, Just putting this out there:

How many of you gentlemen had a tough time w/ the series 7? (failed once or more)

I passed my LAH in septermber and this is next for Axa...I have the STC Material, STC DVD's, and an ebay user's personal notes. (i will make my own as well but these will help)

I believe I have all the tools, but are there any tips you can provide to me? I have been having trouble focusing and sticking w/ the study plan...

Thanks!

Trouble focusing for the exam? One possible cure?? is to first clear the definitions. The inability to focus comes from a physiological response to passing a misunderstood word.

Bypassing a misunderstood word manifests as drowsiness, inability to recall the material immediately after the misunderstood word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Houstenor in Tomball, Texas

73 months ago

I also am preparing for the Series 7 and 66. I am using another program from Empire Stockbrokers Training Institute. www.empirestockbroker.com I am a former middle school choir director AKA Mr. "I don't know a darn thing about the financial industry". This book series is so straight to the point and easy to read. I've been studying for three weeks and have mastered 1/2 the info. In another three weeks, I am going to take the Kaplan cram course to get one more week of explanation and take the exam.

I've heard that most people have problems with options so make sure you understand it.

Good luck everyone on the test!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

435 in Newark, New Jersey

73 months ago

stc is the way to go

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mariya in Covina, California

72 months ago

So i got a question for you. If i pass my series 7 what does it do for me? What kind of job am I looking at getting? How do i get sponsored?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Houstenor in Tomball, Texas

72 months ago

Well, I took the test for the first time. Got an 87 and now look forward to the 66. I loved the Kaplan classes and the ESTI books that I mentioned earlier. They helped me do so well on the test. Good luck to everyone on their exams.

Cashman in Paris, Tennessee

72 months ago

yeah, I took the series 7 and 66 first then the LAH and VA for TN. AXA has been a good start but Im in the process of leaving because of the lack of support. Everything has been left up to me which is fine. The only thing Im looking for is a mentor which Im sure to find given enough time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hugoskandrani in Redondo Beach, California

70 months ago

I have the Kaplan Series 7, 3rd Edition. On the Kaplan website they have a TestAlert which is an update to the 4th Edition, in other words making it comparable to the upcoming 5th edition. They no longer have available on the website a TestAlert that makes the 3rd edition comparable to the 4th edition. If I could get my hands on that, then with that and the TestAlert to the 4th edition, my 3rd edition would be totally current. Is there anyone out there who has the TestAlert, which makes the 3rd edition comparable to the 4th edition? If so, please let me know if you have it as a PDF or just printed out and I'll provide you with my e-mail or fax number as appropriate.

ikat50 in Madison, Wisconsin

69 months ago

hugoskandrani in Redondo Beach, California said: I have the Kaplan Series 7, 3rd Edition. On the Kaplan website they have a TestAlert which is an update to the 4th Edition, in other words making it comparable to the upcoming 5th edition. They no longer have available on the website a TestAlert that makes the 3rd edition comparable to the 4th edition. If I could get my hands on that, then with that and the TestAlert to the 4th edition, my 3rd edition would be totally current. Is there anyone out there who has the TestAlert, which makes the 3rd edition comparable to the 4th edition? If so, please let me know if you have it as a PDF or just printed out and I'll provide you with my e-mail or fax number as appropriate.

Did you ever get an answer on this? I am looking for an answer to same dilemma - can no longer get the test alerts, not even for the 4th because they have just put out a 5th edition.

69 months ago

ikat50 in Madison, Wisconsin said: Did you ever get an answer on this? I am looking for an answer to same dilemma - can no longer get the test alerts, not even for the 4th because they have just put out a 5th edition.

I vaguely recall someone responding by just telling me to go the Kaplan website, which we both know doesn't have it. In any case the TestAlert to the 4th Edition is still there at www.kaplanfinancial.com/kfs/About-Kaplan-Financial/Test-Alerts-Updates/Securities-Test-Alerts.asp

69 months ago

hugoskandrani in Redondo Beach, California said: I vaguely recall someone responding by just telling me to go the Kaplan website, which we both know doesn't have it. In any case the TestAlert to the 4th Edition is still there at www.kaplanfinancial.com/kfs/About-Kaplan-Financial/Test-Alerts-Updates/Securities-Test-Alerts.asp

Thanks, I did actually get the alerts they had, and found that at least through August 20 of 07 there were none for the 3rd edition, so perhaps they were all incorporated into 4th - and I can compare the two. I'm assuming with a 3rd ed, you're self studying - did you test yet? .. appreciate the feedback.

L in New York, New York

69 months ago

if you guys still need the test alert I can fax it to you...

69 months ago

ikat50 in Madison, Wisconsin said: Thanks, I did actually get the alerts they had, and found that at least through August 20 of 07 there were none for the 3rd edition, so perhaps they were all incorporated into 4th - and I can compare the two. I'm assuming with a 3rd ed, you're self studying - did you test yet? .. appreciate the feedback.

Once the TestAlert to the 4th edition came out, the one to the 3rd edition was removed from their website. That's why I came to a forum like this, to see if anyone downloaded and saved the TestAlert for the 3rd, before it was removed. If I have the 3rd edition book, plus the TestAlert to the 3rd edition, plus the TestAlert to the 4th edition, then my 3rd edition will be on par with the latest edition. It would be safe to assume, that all the changes listed in the TestAlert to the 3rd edition were incorporated into the 4th edition book. I borrowed a copy of the 4th edition book and tried to do a visual side-by-side comparison with the 3rd edtion book, but it was so unbelievably time-consuming. I also was sure that I wasn't able to catch every difference.

69 months ago

ikat50 in Madison, Wisconsin said: Thanks, I did actually get the alerts they had, and found that at least through August 20 of 07 there were none for the 3rd edition, so perhaps they were all incorporated into 4th - and I can compare the two. I'm assuming with a 3rd ed, you're self studying - did you test yet? .. appreciate the feedback.

I am self-studying and I haven't tested yet.

69 months ago

L in New York, New York said: if you guys still need the test alert I can fax it to you...

Hi L. I'd really appreciate it if you could fax it to me. I'd prefer not to post my fax number here. Could you post your e-mail address here and I'll e-mail you my fax number? If you have the updated index to the 3rd edition, I'd appreciate that as well.

L in New York, New York

69 months ago

sure... email me at liza@knopman.com

69 months ago

L in New York, New York said: sure... email me at liza@knopman.com

I just sent you an e-mail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Hi L - sending you an email with my fax number to get the test alert, thanks SO much!!

Mac in Colorado Springs, Colorado

68 months ago

I'm studying for the 65 now, the 7 is next.

Any input on how difficult the 7 is, compared to the 65?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in New York, New York

68 months ago

L in New York, New York said: sure... email me at liza@knopman.com

Just sent you an email, as well. If you can help out, that'd be great!

paulsy in Phoenix, Arizona

67 months ago

Misskimm in Westland, Michigan said: I was interested about AXA, do they pay alary + commission? Is training paid? How do you get clients, and do you work out of the home office? Thanks guys.. Oh is the Series exams in the same realm as the Life and Health, I passed it...

My experience with them is that they want you to "know enough to be dangerous." Th etraining was lousy, they would hire anybody because they didn't invest in their hirees, they would throw everyone against the wall and see who'd stick. They had salary with reduced commission for a couple years, then straight commission. Good company, but I never liked the management or the lack of training. Very sales-oriented culture, not much thought on advising well. But that describes nearly everyone.

Shivas18 in Fargo, North Dakota

67 months ago

Hello. What jobs/careers does anyone recommend for someone who has passed the Series 7 and Series 65 and doesn't want to sell life insurance for the opportunity to shepherd people's life savings? What can someone do to keep the certifications and not be working in the insurance business or for a Merrill Lynch type company? Certified Financial Planner? Any websites you could recommend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jmax2008 in Maryland Heights, Missouri

65 months ago

ikat50 in Madison, Wisconsin said: Hi L - sending you an email with my fax number to get the test alert, thanks SO much!!

Would you be able to send me the test alert for the 3rd edition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

L in New York, New York

65 months ago

I could email it to you, but you should really be using the 5th edition book at this point. You want the most up to date material

65 months ago

L in New York, New York said: I could email it to you, but you should really be using the 5th edition book at this point. You want the most up to date material

Thanks for your help. I will send you my contact info in an email. Is your email liza@knopman.com ?

L in New York, New York

65 months ago

yes that's correct

65 months ago

L in New York, New York said: yes that's correct

Liza,

Do you have the test alert for the 3rd edition? I believe that the document you sent was for the 2nd edition.

Thanks
J

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Big_Mike in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

I passed with ease, I used these guys:

www.fourthfinancialonline.com/nasd_series_7.htm

They offered eBooks, simulation software and audio books you could throw right on your MP3 player. All their stuff was instant download right from the website so no waiting for the mailman. I passed first time out.

Double A in New York, New York

64 months ago

I used STC, Pass the 7, and Series 7 for Dummies (kind of just a supplement) and I scored a 90% on my first attempt. Unfortunately I was laid off 3 months later so I'm on the job hunt again. Thanks Merrill.

Goga in new york, New York

60 months ago

what is is the best material or way to pass series 7 and 66 for the recent business graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I am still waiting for some answer for 7 and 66. Please help?

L in New York, New York

60 months ago

www.knopman.com is the best way to pass the 7 & 66 - but keep in mind you need to be sponsored to take these exams.

60 months ago

Thanks very much. I am considering to join a financial planning firm in New York or close area. I have 15 years financial plannig experience in Canada and I am looking for firm with good reputaion and with best payout for commission also it should offer complete financial planning services. I don't need long training but your tax system and possibally products and paper work will be different so need some traing to learn it.
Can any body recommend a good company. National compay will be better just in case if we move to other states.

cashman in Paris, Tennessee

60 months ago

study like you haven't studied before. First, get sponsored by a company and get the material they would like you to use. If not theirs go to STC (Securities Training Corporation) for said materials. Also learn how to prospect like you breath, cold calls(atlest 100 calls a day) and run appointments (atleast 2 a day). If you can't earn the trust and relate to potential clients the securities licnses wont help. Considering the market is flooded with advisors and the like, the barriers to enter are even greater. Finding a mentor in this industry is also tough. Most managers/partners have many new hires each month. If you dont produce your gone. When I noticed that I made it even harder for myself by not taping into my warm market. Its funny, how you only get paid from what you sell and you work for yourself, yet they can fire you.I just dont believe in telling someone that a company is great and cares about them when they don't care about their own. Normally you have about 6 months to get all your licenses and to make some production goal. Thats the best insight I can give you.

60 months ago

Thanks cashman I have done it all about 14 years ago and was okey with it. Anyoneelse can help me in choosing firm according to my requirements (please see above my question). Thanks!

JM in New Cumberland, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

I'm also wandering what other jobs the series 7 can be used for, if any. Is it a completely worthless other than being a financial advisor?

Henry in Bedford, Texas

53 months ago

I studied quite a bit for the Series 7. I have used a few different kinds of books, but I would recommend STC. They are at stcusa.com. I also used a tutor from series7tutor.com who helped me out a lot. I studied a lot, but also had been trading stocks for awhile before I got sponsored, so that was a bonus. Made an 82 on the test. Best advice is to use whatever materials you have and work hard.

Dman Advisor in Lincoln, Rhode Island

53 months ago

Thanks!

I passed with an 81 first time. If you don't understand it, then it would not be a good idea to work at a wirehouse. Perhaps life insurance might offer a better opportunity for you to succeed. Those jobs don't deal with the market at all except to recommend some mutual funds which have been already picked for the firm. Series 6 is more suitable [no pun intended] for insurance based position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daxa in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

Hi I am trying to decide between using kaplan or STC for my LAH for AXA.....kaplan seems pretty all inclusive however a lot of people seem to say STC is really good....any ideas? Also how about Series 7 and 66 anyone have a recommendation for what study company I should use?

Daxa in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

does anyone think one month is enough time to study for my series 7

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dlpl in San Diego, California

50 months ago

In my opinion, the series 7 is about putting your head down for 3-4 weeks and really asserting yourself in that time. I took the 7 using the Kaplan study material, read 50% of the book and took a lot of practice tests, failed it with a 68.4%, then I went with STC study material, it was a bit easier to read and I preferred the way the information was broken down...put 3 weeks aside (working full time) studied 15-20 hours over the weekends, and 2-3 hours 4 of the 5 nights a week. Got a solid grasp of options (still struggled with spread questions) and muni's and took the test. Passed with an 85%.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Julia in Salt Lake City, Utah

49 months ago

Definitely STC. I bought their manual and their print exams (13 exams total). I've read the book just once and took the same exams (13 of them) for 5 times until I was scoring 80+. I quit my job because working and studying was becoming impossible. I put a lot of hours each day (about 8 hours every day). I took it very seriously, like a full time job. My social life has ended when I studied. Just the books and me and no one else. I passed with 84%. Definitely STC played its major role in helping me pass!

bc in Saint Louis, Missouri

48 months ago

I need help with the 65 , what is the best study program ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.