Dream Job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

jsneese5 in Los Angeles, California

66 months ago

I am 37. I am just starting my firefighter training. Will my age become a problem when it comes time for the hiring process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Warminster, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

I would say... not. I mean, you're on the brink of 40, no offense... but you may come across people such as myself, who are 16... and running through their stuff NOW. You're going to need to go above and beyond, to stand out if you plan to make a career out of firefighting. Otherwise, as a volunteer, age is not an issue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Britt in Kaysville, Utah

63 months ago

Brittany in Warminster, Pennsylvania said: I would say... not. I mean, you're on the brink of 40, no offense... but you may come across people such as myself, who are 16... and running through their stuff NOW. You're going to need to go above and beyond, to stand out if you plan to make a career out of firefighting. Otherwise, as a volunteer, age is not an issue.

I am also 37 and recently started a career in Firefighting. I wouldn't worry about being older, It' an advantage. You will meet many, like the one above, that think its all about "run-and-gun". They are so inexperenced in life they don't realize what an adyvantage life experence is in the job. Physically, I can do anything a 16 year old can. Mentally , I am about 21 years ahead of them, and believe me, Its a huge advantage! You will find in your career, maturity will take you much farther than youth alone. And, many departments will shy away from youth before they will a 37 year old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jsneese5 in Los Angeles, California

63 months ago

Thank you for your comment. I agree. Good luck with your carer in the fire service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bob in Naples, Florida

46 months ago

Brittany in Warminster, Pennsylvania said: I would say... not. I mean, you're on the brink of 40, no offense... but you may come across people such as myself, who are 16... and running through their stuff NOW. You're going to need to go above and beyond, to stand out if you plan to make a career out of firefighting. Otherwise, as a volunteer, age is not an issue.

listen i am a 37 year old fire fighter, fire departments aren't hiring anyone under the age of 28. the only young kids who will get hired all have daddy s who are captains and chiefs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hello in Olympia, Washington

35 months ago

This is a really late response, but this girl made me laugh. C'mon go back to the kitchen. I'm not a firefighter, but my best friend is. He was the youngest guy hired at 25 and the oldest guy was 36. Character and life experience is important than you think. They don't like cocky high schoolers who think that being a firefighter is all physical. 75 percent of the calls aren't even related to firefighting. It's the kids who graduated from school who should try harder to stand out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hello in Olympia, Washington

35 months ago

This is a really late response, but this girl made me laugh. C'mon go back to the kitchen. I'm not a firefighter, but my best friend is. He was the youngest guy hired at 25 and the oldest guy was 36. Character and life experience is important than you think. They don't like cocky high schoolers who think that being a firefighter is all physical. 75 percent of the calls aren't even related to firefighting. It's the kids who graduated from school who should try harder to stand out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.