American Airlines hiring flight Attendants 2013!!!!!

Comments (151 to 200 of 55021)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Letsfly in San Diego, California

31 months ago

My friend has been working as a AA FA for 15 years, she says that all new hires will be trained for both domestic and international flights.

swa 1977 in Plano, Texas

31 months ago

Does anyone know if AA will post the f/a posting at 12:01 am on Nov.5th? Thanks!

IXLNXS in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

swa 1977 in Plano, Texas said: Does anyone know if AA will post the f/a posting at 12:01 am on Nov.5th? Thanks!

---

Can I venture a guess on that one? I feel like enough buzz has been created that they dont need to go to that extent, since this is not the release of the latest Apple product and since the people in charge of that for the most part keep "regular business hours-", it will probably be posted some time between 8 to 5pm CST (since they're in Dallas). That's just my guess...lol!

PILOT1976 in Collierville, Tennessee

31 months ago

I AM A PILOT BUT NOT WITH ENOUGH HOURS TO FLY FOR EAGLE. I WAS THINKING OF GOING FOR FLIGHT ATTENDANT UNTIL I MEET MINIMUMS TO FLY. I ALREADY WORK FOR AA GETTING LAID OFF AT THE END OF THE MONTH. WILL MY COMPANY SENIORITY CARRY OVER. I AM A SPEAKER, COULD I GET BOS (INTERNATIONAL) AS A BASE. LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE! IAM 36, COLLEGE DEGREE AND DID I MENTION? I AM A MALE

Purser in Vancouver, Washington

31 months ago

PILOT1976 in Collierville, Tennessee said: I AM A PILOT BUT NOT WITH ENOUGH HOURS TO FLY FOR EAGLE. I WAS THINKING OF GOING FOR FLIGHT ATTENDANT UNTIL I MEET MINIMUMS TO FLY. I ALREADY WORK FOR AA GETTING LAID OFF AT THE END OF THE MONTH. WILL MY COMPANY SENIORITY CARRY OVER. I AM A SPEAKER, COULD I GET BOS (INTERNATIONAL) AS A BASE. LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE! IAM 36, COLLEGE DEGREE AND DID I MENTION? I AM A MALE

When I was in training w/United years ago, a chap in my class was in the same situation as you. He became a F/A and worked in that capacity for aprox 1.5 years and then he got a job w/Southwest as a pilot. He often mentioned how glad he had gone that route, as it allowed him to gain a huge appreciation for what the F/A often go through.

IXLNXS in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

PILOT1976 in Collierville, Tennessee said: I AM A PILOT BUT NOT WITH ENOUGH HOURS TO FLY FOR EAGLE. I WAS THINKING OF GOING FOR FLIGHT ATTENDANT UNTIL I MEET MINIMUMS TO FLY. I ALREADY WORK FOR AA GETTING LAID OFF AT THE END OF THE MONTH. WILL MY COMPANY SENIORITY CARRY OVER. I AM A SPEAKER, COULD I GET BOS (INTERNATIONAL) AS A BASE. LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE! IAM 36, COLLEGE DEGREE AND DID I MENTION? I AM A MALE

----

You dont say what you're doing now with AA but what I know from my prior airline experiene is that you keep your seniority for benefits and such, but as far as bidding within the inflight group you would start as if you were brand new baby!

AA-US in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

You will start at the bottom for inflight but may have a slight advantage if you are language qualified, depending on the language.

flyguywestend2 in Saint Louis, Missouri

31 months ago

Allygirl in Dallas, Texas said: Seems pretty hypocritical of AA not to offer interview priveleges to their sister company (who, by the way, share the same union). When AA furloughed back in 2001, AE graciously opened their doors to them. They didn't even have to apply. Probably should have worked out some sort of flow thru agreement back then. All AE got out of the deal was jumpseat priveleges on AA, and the only reason AA flight attendants agreed to that was because AE was carrying along their furloughs. How else would their future flowbacks get back and forth to work? Before that, they flat out refused their sister company the jumpseat, even though other mainlines were offering this to Eagle. I can't imagine AA would ever consider extending any sign of good will to AE flight attendants, and actually believe that being with AE, no matter how experienced or qualified, will work against a candidate. It's a shame that Eagle seems to be the only side to think of themselves as a team w/AA.

American and American Eagle DO NOT share the same flight attendant union. Eagle is AFA. The Association of Flight Attendants. American is APFA. The Association of Porfessional Flight Attendants. Two completely different unions. Know your facts before posting.

flyguywestend2 in Saint Louis, Missouri

31 months ago

Formerly Goodbye APFA in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Added to AA bases are DCA, SLT- and to the best of my knowledge ATL is the only satellite base not MSP.
For the record- AA also has flight attendant bases in Bogota Colombia, Buenos Aires, Lima, and Santiago Chile. These are outsourced bases that APFA (the FA union) approved and has refused to even attempt to negotiate eliminating since the early 1990’s (they came from Eastern and before that Braniff even). Despite this- APFA has overseen over 2000 of its members involuntarily furloughed the last few years. APFA could have requested a reduction in foreign nationals before allowing US workers to be involuntarily furloughed but they did not- probably because of hush money- which they just accepted another 10 million of during this bankruptcy.
I am hoping that by keeping the foreign national issue active, new hires will be more informed and take back our flying- the nationals have many of the best MIA routes!

SLT? Do you mean STL? St. Louis? Does anyone know if St. Louis is still a base and if so, what's the senority like there?

Goodbye APFA in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

31 months ago

Sorry- the STL base is listed in the Bid Packages as SLT (Just like MIA-International is IMA at AA currently etc). STL or (SLT AA style) is indeed a base. There are both junior and senior there- but it is a very small base (it was from TWA).

LoveAA in Baltimore, Maryland

31 months ago

Have a question for anybody who wishes to answer: If in my application to AA I mention that I was selected by Eagle but prefer AA would it help or hurt my chances??

LoveAA in Baltimore, Maryland

31 months ago

To clarify my question, I was selected by eagle but still in process and would prefer mainline AA.should I mention it in my app or will it be better if I dont?

31 months ago

LoveAA in Baltimore, Maryland said: To clarify my question, I was selected by eagle but still in process and would prefer mainline AA.should I mention it in my app or will it be better if I dont?

Unless a question is asked pertaining to such, I would not volunteer that info as I think (just my opinion) that it would not necessarily help your application. However, I am not an authority on this, I just have some years of experience in the industry. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Thejazzygirl in Burbank, California

31 months ago

LoveAA in Baltimore, Maryland said: Thank you Purser in WA,
Wouldve liked to hear why you think is better not to mention it. Im leaning towards bringing it up only because I would hope
that it will serve a little bit as a reference or a plus that another
carrier has seen you recently as a potential F/A. You know what
I mean? Because with thousands of apps we need "an edge",
just not sure its the right edge, but Ill continue thinking about it.

I too have to agree. Unless they ask, I wouldn't bring it up. But that's just me.

ipassage2 in Vail, Colorado

31 months ago

Just wondering, since one of the new routes will be from ORD to DUS will there be a need for German speakers? If anybody has any information regarding the LOD (Language of Destination) please let me know. I would like to apply to AA as a German speaker. I know that over the years AA has reduced there presence in Germany, and was wondering if there are extra speakers who are going to go to ORD for the new flight.

31 months ago

LoveAA in Baltimore, Maryland said: Thank you Purser in WA,
Wouldve liked to hear why you think is better not to mention it. Im leaning towards bringing it up only because I would hope
that it will serve a little bit as a reference or a plus that another
carrier has seen you recently as a potential F/A. You know what
I mean? Because with thousands of apps we need "an edge",
just not sure its the right edge, but Ill continue thinking about it.

I understand how the interview process works within the industry, it cannot be compared to traditional corporate america, things are somewhat unique as to how they evaluate. My strong advice is to not play that card, but I do understand your thought process. Good luck w/whatever you decide.

LoveAA in Washington, District of Columbia

31 months ago

Thejazzygirl in Burbank, California said: I too have to agree. Unless they ask, I wouldn't bring it up. But that's just me.

I appreciate your comment and again I wish I was hearing the reasoning behind the suggestion. As in..dont do it because of a,b and c.
Because from my perspective it seems like it would be a plus since it would be like you've already been "pre-screened". So thats why I wanted other perspective (reasons), but thank you though.

Thejazzygirl

31 months ago

LoveAA in Washington, District of Columbia said: I appreciate your comment and again I wish I was hearing the reasoning behind the suggestion. As in..dont do it because of a,b and c.
Because from my perspective it seems like it would be a plus since it would be like you've already been "pre-screened". So thats why I wanted other perspective (reasons), but thank you though.

Hmm. Ok. Well, this is my thinking...

If I was a recruiter, and u told me u got accepted by another, I would think who's to say your also being seen by let's say USAirways and u really want 'that' job. I wouldn't feel confident in inviting u further along the interview process cuz you seem divided.

But again, that's just my thinking.

Who knows? Maybe that's exactly what they want to hear. Whatever u decide, I wish u the best!!

31 months ago

Thejazzygirl said: Hmm. Ok. Well, this is my thinking...

If I was a recruiter, and u told me u got accepted by another, I would think who's to say your also being seen by let's say USAirways and u really want 'that' job. I wouldn't feel confident in inviting u further along the interview process
cuz you seem divided.
But again, that's just my thinking

Who knows? Maybe that's exactly what they want to hear.
Whatever u decide, I wish u the best!!

THANK YOU! Thats the type of thing I was looking for, just ideas as to how it might look from different perspectives and I can totally see your point and appreciate you taking the time :-) !

Greg Arias in Stockton, California

31 months ago

For all of you enthusiastic about working for AA, I would be remiss not to share my experience with them. I got hired by AA straight out of college as a Spanish speaker several years ago. I was sent to NYC and loved it. However, I noticed right away that they really loved to fire newhire F/As on probation for no real reason. It's partly because after the probationary period (7 months) is up, the F/A becomes union-covered and is much harder to get rid of; it's also partly because AA has a toxic, mean and unprofessional corporate culture. As a newhire, we just basically nervously waited each day to see if we'd get fired, with or without reason. Several newhires that lived in my building in Manhattan got fired and weren't sure why. Sure enough, two weeks before my probation was up, I got called in and "separated from the company" due to mysterious "reports" that my supervisor had gotten about me--she refused to say about what. And that was it--after being sent across the country from my home and made to live in NYC, I was fired without an explanation. Needless to say, neither I nor any of my family have used any of AA's products or services since that day.

Greg Arias in Stockton, California

31 months ago

(cont'd)

(I found out years after the fact that the "report" about me was writtten by a F/A that had propositioned me sexually and I had turned down. As revenge, he fabricated a report saying that I was stealing. My supervisor was not smart enough, trained or professional enough to realize that it was invented. The F/A that wrote the report is still employed at AA...so beware)

I should add--knowing that I was a good F/A, I got back into flying fairly soon after and have been doing so for 13 years now, and am at a major airline with an admirable corporate culture where they value their employees and don't fire new employees for sport.

What happened to me was years ago and I can only hope that AA has gotten its act together (and maybe finally some humility from its much-deserved bankruptcy woes), but beware!

TRUST AND BELIEVE in GSO, North Carolina

31 months ago

A SMALL ADVISE FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO APPLY AT AA REALLY QUIT.YOU CAN GO ON THEIR WEBSITE NOW AND MAKE YOUR APPLICATION AND SAVE IT IN YOUR PROFILE.THAT WAY ONCE THEY WILL PUT THE POST,YOU WON`T HAVE TO GO OVER THE APPLICATION AGAIN.YOU CAN JUST CLICK ON YOUR PROFILE AND SUBMIT.

31 months ago

TRUST AND BELIEVE in GSO, North Carolina said: A SMALL ADVISE FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO APPLY AT AA REALLY QUIT.YOU CAN GO ON THEIR WEBSITE NOW AND MAKE YOUR APPLICATION AND SAVE IT IN YOUR PROFILE.THAT WAY ONCE THEY WILL PUT THE POST,YOU WON`T HAVE TO GO OVER THE APPLICATION AGAIN.YOU CAN JUST CLICK ON YOUR PROFILE AND SUBMIT.

Ive done that, but I do wonder if the new posting is going to link you to a new more specific application for the ten year required history because I believe that was my experience with
Eagle. Already had a "profile" but when I clijed apply, it took me to a fresh application. But we'll see. Thx.

Metamorphysis in Mesquite, Texas

31 months ago

fly2013 in Los Angeles, California said: Hi all I just received information that Legacy carrier American Airlines will be hiring flight attendants for 2013!! Whether this true or not I'm unsure but a flight attendant I spoke with said the are hiring close to 1500 flight attendants and they are going to start recruiting towards the end of this year!!!! But once again I'm not sure if this information is accurate....:) but if it is......get ready American hasn't hired in a long time!!!!!

Yes, this is true. I have a friend that works for AA and she said the same thing. Recruiting starts November 5, 2012 and they need 1500 Flight Attendants. I live in Dallas and work close to DFW Airport....the corporate office is down the street from me. I would apply but they want a lot out of you. Go look at the job requirements...the one I hate is that I would have to be very thin. I don't know about leaving my dog behind.

31 months ago

So tell me,....what is going to be the starting salary rate for the new F/A for AA?

WannaFly in North Sioux City, South Dakota

31 months ago

Hello all!! I have read that the minimum age requirement for F/A's with American is 20. Here is my question. Does that mean 20 to apply, or 20 by the time training starts? I know different airlines look at this differently. Wondering if any current or past American F/A's could give me some insight into this. I will turn 20 on December 25th this year (yes, I am a Christmas baby... haha). So, I would be 19 when I apply, and if selected for an interview in December would be 19, but would be 20 when training starts in Janaury. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks all!! Best of luck to everyone!!

Dwitty in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Metamorphysis in Mesquite, Texas said: Yes, this is true. I have a friend that works for AA and she said the same thing. Recruiting starts November 5, 2012 and they need 1500 Flight Attendants. I live in Dallas and work close to DFW Airport....the corporate office is down the street from me. I would apply but they want a lot out of you. Go look at the job requirements...the one I hate is that I would have to be very thin. I don't know about leaving my dog behind.

Not meaning to be argumentative, but have been reading
this thread, and saw this.Where were you reading job requirements that said you had to be very thin, or was that just implied? They will usually say height and weight proportionate, saying very thin would be just plain illegal...

solo in New Port Richey, Florida

31 months ago

And does it say height requirement ? or do you know what it is?

31 months ago

Key in on Google....Job requirements as a Flight Attendant on American Airlines

Bay21 in Alexandria, Virginia

31 months ago

Metamorphysis in Mesquite, Texas said: Yes, this is true. I have a friend that works for AA and she said the same thing. Recruiting starts November 5, 2012 and they need 1500 Flight Attendants. I live in Dallas and work close to DFW Airport....the corporate office is down the street from me. I would apply but they want a lot out of you. Go look at the job requirements...the one I hate is that I would have to be very thin. I don't know about leaving my dog behind.

Yeah pretty sure thats illegal... They can't discriminate against you because of your weight as long as you can perform the task and duties as a F/A (ie:reach test, jumpseat requirment). Make sure your only looking at the info that is put out by American... not just anything you may read online.

NWA6827 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

31 months ago

Heard from a co-worker that American Eagle FAs have to pay taxes for non-revving on domestic flights...is that true? If so does AA follow the same system? Because that would be a bummer. Also does anyone know if they offer upgrades to frequent fliers on international long-haul flights? One nice thing about Delta is that if you go overseas frequent fliers don't get upgrades into the first class cabin so its usually full of non-revs. And there's no extra charge. But then United I've heard charges employees extra to sit in first class. There's no way I want to ask about flight benefits in an interview so I figure this is the safest resource I have. Thanks!

31 months ago

Found this link on Google. Obviously its a 3rd party website (so take this info with a grain of salt) but it might be a good jumping off point for people to see if they may be eligible.
www.avjobs.com/careers/requirements/american_desc.asp#.UJG2M2lxvoo

Also if you log on to the AA Careers site and create a profile you can set up an email alert when the job posting opens. So I am going to set that up and put my phone on high volume when I go to sleep.

31 months ago

WannaFly in North Sioux City, South Dakota said: Hello all!! I have read that the minimum age requirement for F/A's with American is 20. Here is my question. Does that mean 20 to apply, or 20 by the time training starts? I know different airlines look at this differently. Wondering if any current or past American F/A's could give me some insight into this. I will turn 20 on December 25th this year (yes, I am a Christmas baby... haha). So, I would be 19 when I apply, and if selected for an interview in December would be 19, but would be 20 when training starts in Janaury. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks all!! Best of luck to everyone!!

You'll want to do exactly what the application says. Get your stuff together (resume, job history etc.) in case you might be eligible. But if it says that you must be 20 to apply don't apply. Most airlines have a set-up where you have to wait 6-12 months to re-apply after being rejected. So if AA opens hiring again in January you would be eligible at that time. Obviously if it says you must be 20 at the conclusion of training apply (and FAST). Good luck.

31 months ago

@Dwitty: NWA6827 Has the link I was talking about. I'm really concerned about this weight proportion to height....I'm a woman who's 6 feet tall and top heavy.

31 months ago

Metamorphysis in Mesquite, Texas said: @Dwitty: NWA6827 Has the link I was talking about. I'm really concerned about this weight proportion to height....I'm a woman who's 6 feet tall and top heavy.

The main concern is that you can fit into the jump seat harness and buckle up (the harness allows for some adjustment, so you can in fact make it slightly looser if needs be). Also, you need to be able to comfortably fit into a two person jump seat without taking more than your own space, so that another crew member sitting next to you can fit (although you each have your own harness/buckle). I hope this helps to settle nerves a little, I am sure you will be fine!

Dwitty in Winchester, Virginia

31 months ago

Metamorphysis in Mesquite, Texas said: @Dwitty: NWA6827 Has the link I was talking about. I'm really concerned about this weight proportion to height....I'm a woman who's 6 feet tall and top heavy.

I think what Purser said explains it best and you should really apply, if you want it, you'll never know til you try!! No worries :)

Chitowngirl in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

Hello,
I was wondering if I had flight attendant experience prior to the 10 year history (Southwest Airlines 1999 and American Eagle 1996) would that help my chances in getting an interview, or do they only look at the last 10 years?

Thanks!

WannaFly in North Sioux City, South Dakota

31 months ago

NWA6827 in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: You'll want to do exactly what the application says. Get your stuff together (resume, job history etc.) in case you might be eligible. But if it says that you must be 20 to apply don't apply. Most airlines have a set-up where you have to wait 6-12 months to re-apply after being rejected. So if AA opens hiring again in January you would be eligible at that time. Obviously if it says you must be 20 at the conclusion of training apply (and FAST). Good luck.

Thanks very much NWA6827!! Best of luck to you as well!! (Unless you are already a FA.. then safe travels!!

Jennifer09 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

31 months ago

The rsv for new hires will be one month on rsv one month line until PBS is implemented. Once they get PBS everyone will be going to A days.

Yvonne in Sacramento, California

31 months ago

LoveAA in Baltimore, Maryland said: To clarify my question, I was selected by eagle but still in process and would prefer mainline AA.should I mention it in my app or will it be better if I dont?

Probably be better if you didn't mention it. Unless they ask. They could think, Well, this person already has an offer elsewhere, why should we even bother. On the other hand, tf you have an interview and they ask then tell them. But make sure you tell them you would rather work for AA.

31 months ago

Chitowngirl in Chicago, Illinois said: Hello,
I was wondering if I had flight attendant experience prior to the 10 year history (Southwest Airlines 1999 and American Eagle 1996) would that help my chances in getting an interview, or do they only look at the last 10 years?

Thanks!

List it under other skills or something like that on your resume. It couldn't hurt. I use to be an EMT in 1995 and I have it on my resume. I also list it under other skills on the application if there is a place.

31 months ago

Apply anyway. There are many flight attendants that are on the large side. I am between a size 16 and 18 and I have seen flight attendants that look the same size or bigger than me. I was also told by a FA not to worry about it. I was also concerned until I saw some of the FA's at Houston.

Fly Like an Eagle in San Diego, California

31 months ago

HI EVERYONE,

I HEARD THAT IF YOU APPLIED FOR EAGLE, YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR AA...IS THAT TRUE?

THANKS.

31 months ago

Fly Like an Eagle in San Diego, California said: HI EVERYONE,

I HEARD THAT IF YOU APPLIED FOR EAGLE, YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR AA...IS THAT TRUE?

THANKS.

I think you can apply for both.

fly2013 in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

Well my wonderful peers....i started this forum almost two weeks ago and watching it grow is amazing!!!! everyone has given amazing advice, inside information, incredible encouragement, and the confidence to do this unbelievable career!! We are finally in the month of November, and in 4 days we will begin the process of what will be on of the most rewarding experience ever!!!! 4 days!!! please everyone spruce up your resumes, start counting down on the calendar, start deciding what your going to wear for the interview, practice questions in the mirror, WE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!!! we will hopefully make it through to training believe in the process, and yourself, pray if you are spiritual........ Let the great times begin.....

4 days and counting!!!

Future FA 72 in Las Vegas, Nevada

31 months ago

Fly2013, when will they be posting it online?

31 months ago

fly2013 in Los Angeles, California said: Well my wonderful peers....i started this forum almost two weeks ago and watching it grow is amazing!!!! everyone has given amazing advice, inside information, incredible encouragement, and the confidence to do this unbelievable career!! We are finally in the month of November, and in 4 days we will begin the process of what will be on of the most rewarding experience ever!!!! 4 days!!! please everyone spruce up your resumes, start counting down on the calendar, start deciding what your going to wear for the interview, practice questions in the mirror, WE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!!! we will hopefully make it through to training believe in the process, and yourself, pray if you are spiritual........ Let the great times begin.....

4 days and counting!!!

Yaay!! I'm so excited too! I while ago I used to be a United FA and I miss flying so much. So here I am. Going back to the skies! Haha. I'm actually thinking of getting bangs. Changing up my look. Anyone else getting a haircut for 'the big day'??

fly2013 in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

Future FA 72 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Fly2013, when will they be posting it online?

They will be posting it Nov. 5th, 2012

Metamorphysis

31 months ago

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE find out what the annual salary is going to be before I go on this journey with you all? Also, for those of you who are in Texas and need a haircut, color.....wax I'm right beside DFW Airport. Fantastic Sams 2030 Glade Rd. Suite 244 Grapevine, TX. 75061 eight one seven, four one six , six six six zero.

31 months ago

Metamorphysis said: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE find out what the annual salary is going to be before I go on this journey with you all? Also, for those of you who are in Texas and need a haircut, color.....wax I'm right beside DFW Airport. Fantastic Sams 2030 Glade Rd. Suite 244 Grapevine, TX. 75061 eight one seven, four one six , six six six zero.

I think this is the most current contract listed on the union's website:

www.apfa.org/content/section/33/247/

Click on: industry contract comparison.

It'll tell u what everyone is making.

You should know that the pay is not that great when u first start but u get a raise every single year on ur anniversary.

Hope that helps. :)

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.