Being a student AND FLight Attendant...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

SuzyQ in Sacramento, California

94 months ago

Hello,

Is it possible to be a flight attendant while I am finishing my Bachelor's and thinking about going for my Master's?? Or is it wishful thinking? I realize the cost of being an FA is the low pay, but I have worked for a large corporation making good money and just wasnt happy. I have ALWAYS wanted to be a flight attendant, I am a people pleaser and think I would enjoy the constant change that come w/being an FA. I am thinking about joining Hawaiian Air because I'd like to relocate to Hawaii. I recently applied for Hawaiian Air and they invited me to interview- but with only a weeks notice :( Unfortunately, a plane ticket last minute right now to Hawaii is in the upwards of $900...Long story short, I missed the boat. BUT, I'm hoping another opportunity will come from Hawaiian Air once I graduate from college (May 2008- WOOHOO).

Any advice anyone has to offer would be much appreciated :)

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

FLYBOY78 in Dagsboro, Delaware

94 months ago

Hello there. Congratulations in your first step in the process. I'd like to give you some helpful information. I was a flight attendant for a major airline for nearly 7 years and I attempted to go to college. It was impossible as we are on "reserve status". I was holding an international "line" or scheduled flights, and still had an extremely hard time attending my classes. I missed half the semester due to "reserve flying". My suggestion would be to finish your degree, and then apply to the airline. The airlines are always hiring F/A's, with the majority of them ready to retire in the next 3-5 years. Good Luck, and follow your heart. It never will misguide you. I just graduated from Nursing School (RN). I going back to flying in Jan AGAIN, and Im so excited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SuzyQ in Sacramento, California

94 months ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me a heart-felt response :) I find it very encouraging! I think you're definitely right- I should finish my bachelor's and then start applying for FA positions. Do you have any advice on how to get your resume/online application noticed by hiring personnel?? Thanks again for your all :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

FLYBOY78 in Dagsboro, Delaware

94 months ago

In response to SuzyQ: I also want to tell you this! This forum for whatever reason is very negative. PLEASE take this into consideration. Alot of people on here are either "laid off" F/A's and bitter, or have not been sucessfull in getting hired. With that said, this forum tends to be negative. You live in California, I noticed. When you finish your bachelors, I would apply with these airlines: Virgin America (low cost airline only flying in the US) based out of San Fran and United Airlines (major airline flying the world) also based out of San Fran.
I was recently hired by 3 major carriers, and was pleasantly surprised. If your new to this, I can definately help you. First, start with SUPERB resume including an objective. EX: seeking a rewarding career as a flight attendant within _____ airlines, where I can best utilize my education and experience. I am highly enthusiastic, motivated, dependable, flexable, and a team player. Am willing to relocate to any _____ airlines base. Relocation is extremely important to an airline. This question will be asked several times in your initial online application. JUST SAY YES. You can always transfer back to your home base after 6 months. Then, you will be given an assesement (more questions). Use common sense. The company wants to know that YOU are sane. Next step, you will be invited for a phone interview. Be confident in your answers, and remember SAFETY is number one. Following this step, you will be invited to a Face to Face interview. If I can be of any help, please let me know. Remember, life is what you make it; keep this in mind when reading on this forum...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.