Continental Airlines Hiring Flight Attendants in 2011?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (351 to 400 of 8102)
Page:  « First « Previous   5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

EWR in Lakewood, New Jersey

45 months ago

For some reason on the application it wouldn't accept assoicate degree as a secondary education so I had to put HS since I dont have a BA, however it is clearly on my work and education history that I have an associates, will this effect me getting a call?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RSand in Indianapolis, Indiana

45 months ago

Calguy-

I would assume that even when a final decision is made on what union will represent the new United, it will be or could be a long time before the FA's merge together because of negotiations? That being the reason they are hiring us because they know that?

Your thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

EWR in Lakewood, New Jersey

45 months ago

Im so excited for this I hope I get a call...good luck to all of you!

shelton in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

45 months ago

I just submitted my aplication!!!!
does anybody know whats next?

Flyboi in New Castle, Delaware

45 months ago

shelton in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I just submitted my aplication!!!!
does anybody know whats next?

Waiting........until you hear something! Oh the excitement (sarcasm) Hopefully the wait won't be too long.

Lily in South San Francisco, California

45 months ago

It's nice to know that they look for college grads first. In the flight attendant hiring page on continental, it says that newly hired f/a's will be represented by IAM. Anyone know anything about that?

Dan in Chicago, Illinois

45 months ago

Sooo... The vote for the union has ended and the results as followed. AFA: 11,942
IAM: 9,745

AFA wins

OCO will now be represented by AFA as will new hires. They do need to come up with a contract which will take a long time. Still, A sad sad day at OCO. :(

DLwings in PDX, Oregon

45 months ago

calguy in Humble, Texas said: Absolutely, it will take YEARS before a combined agreement is made. We're merged. However, integrating F/As is going to take years. Look at America West and US Airways they merged 8 years ago but they are still operating as 2 separate "Airlines" (as far as the flight attendants are concerned). Also, you can look at Delta and Northwest they merged 4 years ago still the F/As are operating separately.

We fly on eachothers equipment etc however we do not fly together. Red tails and blue tails(NWA/Delta) work seperate. We do however share eachothers crew lounge areas,routes etc. Best of luck to all the applicants! CAL has a very very tough screening process and interview selection process. Probably one of the toughest I have experienced. My friend applied at CAL and she is a college grad and CO sent her an email saying she was over qualified for the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DLwings in PDX, Oregon

45 months ago

AFA= Thumbs down! (my opinion). Just spoke with a commuting FA yesterday on us and she said that word is classes wont start till January. We also talked about the union issues and apparently IAM had a wonderful plan to change the reserve sytem to something more livable for juniors. With AFA in office now forget it! Enjoy a billion years of waiting by a phone call and money ripped from your paycheck for needless purposes. AFA= ONE BIG BAD LAWYER! NOWAYAFA!

RegionalFA in Snoqualmie, Washington

45 months ago

calguy in Humble, Texas said: Actually Jarhead, we look for applicants that have a secondary education first then we will proceed to only HS diplomas.

I currently work as a regional flight attendant (6 months experience) and I have over 140 college credit hours, but no degree. What are my chances? Thank you!

pawprints in Earth

45 months ago

Soooooo,

I've been waiting for quite a while for Continental to hire. Now they are hiring and I just finished training with another airline and just recently got on the line.

I put in an application anyway, just on principal. However, I feel kind of torn because I do like my current airline, I'm just not happy with the flying we have.

If I were to make it through the process and offered a position at Continental, do you (who work there) think it would be a mistake to take it just because I miss flying international? Or maybe I should put it a different way, would it be a mistake to take a gig at Continental and leave my current gig (which seems to offer more flexibility then Continental) because the flying at Continental seems far more interesting to me?

Also, what is domestic flying at Continental like? How many legs do you average a day? What's the min hours you work domestically and what is the max? (Since, I know upon getting a line it would probably be a domestic one).

What is the company culture like? I know there is "culture" and then there is the culture. The main thing I like about my current airline are my coworkers, they are really stellar, I don't want to make a hasty decision.

Also, do you guys get OT? Since I see that reserves only get eight days off in a month, are there any other perks? Like the ability to save up PTO and stack it with vacation time so you can take off a month (while on reserve)?
I'm looking at a long time on reserve no matter where I am, so I'm just going to figure that the rest of my career will be on reserve.

Thanks for any insights, suggestions, etc.

FAtobe in Hartford, Connecticut

45 months ago

Soooo, what does this vote exactly mean for new hires and the current hiring process??? Are United FA's going to be cross-trained?? Does this mean new hires might be furloughed eventually? or even hired at all???

skymistress in New York, New York

45 months ago

DLwings in PDX, Oregon said: AFA= Thumbs down! (my opinion). Just spoke with a commuting FA yesterday on us and she said that word is classes wont start till January. We also talked about the union issues and apparently IAM had a wonderful plan to change the reserve sytem to something more livable for juniors. With AFA in office now forget it! Enjoy a billion years of waiting by a phone call and money ripped from your paycheck for needless purposes. AFA= ONE BIG BAD LAWYER! NOWAYAFA!

Well, I chose a side using my experience with them. I'd I hope it all works out. Why would they be hiring 6 months before classes start?

currentFA in New York, New York

45 months ago

You 100% HAVE to be 21... no questions asked.

stew4united2 in Henderson, Nevada

45 months ago

skymistress in New York, New York said: Well, I chose a side using my experience with them. I'd I hope it all works out. Why would they be hiring 6 months before classes start?

Wow...was this a misguided post. Why do you think the IAM was suddenly interested in "fixing" the current reserve situation at CO? Clearly, for reserves, a move toward a more AFA like reserve program is beneficial. We (UA) are looking forward to merging the best of the existing IAM contract with the best of ours. It's not going to be all one way or another. We will all deal with changes to the way we are used to doing things, but in the end, I'm sure we'll come together as a unified group. It will be an emotionally charged few weeks, no doubt. I'd encourage all former IAMers to be open to the AFA, and be sure to advocate for what you value. That is the best way to ensure we wind up with a contract that satisfies as many as possible. Don't polarize these prospective flight attendants with hate speach...they will be hired as crew for the new United, represented by the AFA. Let's move forward together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

My appologies to 'skymistress,' as my response to the "misguided post" was meant for 'deltawings.' It seems, skymistress had responded to the original post and my response appears to be directed toward her when it, in fact, was not. :) Sorry 'bout that!

45 months ago

stew4united2 in Henderson, Nevada said: My appologies to 'skymistress,' as my response to the "misguided post" was meant for 'deltawings.' It seems, skymistress had responded to the original post and my response appears to be directed toward her when it, in fact, was not. :) Sorry 'bout that!

No affense taken. This is a public forum. For those who don't have industry experience though, you never know what a union is like until you've actually worked under them. Hopefully the changes in the company are for the better of the many. I never worked under IAM, but at this point I (and us former FA's) can read a contract and tell if it's a terrible one or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

*offense...I can't stand typos...

tylerb in Lubbock, Texas

45 months ago

I heard that they were expecting training to begin in September and August. So exciting!

RSand in Indianapolis, Indiana

45 months ago

Calguy-

Do you have a generic public email so I can ask you a question? I wouldn't want you to list your personal email address on the forum.

Miss M in Leawood, Kansas

45 months ago

Hi everyone - Just a quick question for a current Continental FA: If selected for training, do you have to memorize all of the city codes and PA announcements or just some of the city codes and just read the PA announcements? Thanks a bunch! :)

UnitedIAMIstand in Herndon, Virginia

45 months ago

AFA has done nothing for us that I can see. They have a horrible reputation and promises go empty and unfulfilled in the long run. Someone put it perfectly the other day when they said the AFA is the Jim Jones cult like group except without the koolaid...yet, and with their creepy brain washed followers. Great! more of my money to send flying down the drain toward worthless purposes. How about actually doing some real work and get my pension back and liveable wage for United flight attendants AFA!!

Deltawings- You all are so lucky you did'nt get involved with this mess of a union, and you said it best with no way afa. At least your flying partners have sense. If you ask me we just re voted the same Bush back into office to do more of nothing but take take take!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pdx in Portland, Oregon

45 months ago

Ur so awesome calguy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DEN76 in Denver, Colorado

45 months ago

UnitedIAMIstand in Herndon, Virginia said: AFA has done nothing for us that I can see. They have a horrible reputation and promises go empty and unfulfilled in the long run. Someone put it perfectly the other day when they said the AFA is the Jim Jones cult like group except without the koolaid...yet, and with their creepy brain washed followers. Great! more of my money to send flying down the drain toward worthless purposes. How about actually doing some real work and get my pension back and liveable wage for United flight attendants AFA!!

Deltawings- You all are so lucky you did'nt get involved with this mess of a union, and you said it best with no way afa. At least your flying partners have sense. If you ask me we just re voted the same Bush back into office to do more of nothing but take take take!

LIKE button has been pushed! AFA got what they wanted as always! It's either they vote themselves back in or find some other corrupt way to come back. They are like the cockroach you can't get rid of!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KatyAnne in Bellingham, Washington

45 months ago

I just went online and applied thanks to this post! fingers crossed, thank you for the information (to everyone:))...

DEN76 in Denver, Colorado

45 months ago

stew4united2 in Henderson, Nevada said: Pammie...I'm sorry to hear about this. I am positive we hired through most of 2008. To my knowledge, none of the training classes were canceled. Are you absolutely sure there was no abnormality in your 10 year check? Medical? I know it seems like an eternity, but it has been a very challenging decade for our industry. When your time comes, the wait will have been worth it. Keep your chin up!

Are you sure you are with United? Where were you in 2008? Last class ended March 2008 for DCASW. All other classes were canceled and we haven't hired since followed by 1500 voluntary furloughs in the fall. Keep in mind you all are being hired on the Continental Airlines side NOT United. When we do integrate the seniority lists you will be Continental so therfore that makes your seniority under the last class of 03/08. Keep in mind AFA is United and therefore don't think for one moment that they wont save thier own before saving you!

Angha in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

If OCO does hire, will the new FA's work under the old IAM contract or the newly voted in AFA one. Is it correct the merger will not be complete until Nov.? If so does that affect how soon the new contract will go into transition? Either way I'm neutral since both have their good and bad points. At the same time it is nice to know what the working guidelines will be for call outs, layover's, scheduling etc.

pawprints in Earth

45 months ago

Did my questions get lost on the last page? Or did I just ask too many and tl;dr happened? LOL

IheartDL in Duluth, Georgia

45 months ago

borgias in New York, New York said: just applied as well. it stated:
4.5 weeks UNPAID trainig
$720 for uniform
1 month on call schedule with 10days off

Rumor has it that Delta is suppose hire for 2012 classes. Now it's just rumor but we are seeing how many will take the packages too. So comparing Delta to CO Delta has way more offer to a new hire.
7weeks which use to be 5 Pre merger/ 1800 a month for training
Uniform is paid up to around 400.00 anything over is your resonsibility.
11days off and all new hires start off as line holders with only 6 reserve days a month.
starting pay is 20.60 and no cap on monthly hours. Flexible schedule and we offer a preferential bidding system so you create your own schedule. and the one big great offer is we are not unionized. Seniority integration with NWA will result with no furloughs in fact we migh be short staffed and hire more. Keep your eyes peeled on Delta! Best of luck to everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

DEN76 in Denver, Colorado said: Are you sure you are with United? Where were you in 2008? Last class ended March 2008 for DCASW. All other classes were canceled and we haven't hired since followed by 1500 voluntary furloughs in the fall. Keep in mind you all are being hired on the Continental Airlines side NOT United. When we do integrate the seniority lists you will be Continental so therfore that makes your seniority under the last class of 03/08. Keep in mind AFA is United and therefore don't think for one moment that they wont save thier own before saving you!

If you would have taken a moment to continue down the posts, you would see there was more to his conversation. We were talking about the '06-'08 hiring at United, not the potential hiring at CO. When Pammie and I were chatting, CO hadn't even announced the latest round of hiring. Uh, and yes, I'm sure I'm with United...17 years.

flyingtora in Las Vegas, Nevada

45 months ago

calguy in Humble, Texas said: Wow this person is wrong in every aspect. It sounds like they got FIRED!!

Actually I went on a COLA and quit. And I knew of 2 flight attendants personally that got fired because other flight attendants wrote them up for sleeping on the jump seat and lied. Yes this is kinda people you work with and you know it!! And what am I wrong about?? Are you denying that about a 100 flight attendants have either quit or gotten fired in the last year?? Are you denying that there is ' bad ' morale in the crew room with all the reserves being slaved?? Are you denying that they can move their days around?? Are you denying that the first 787 is flying out of Houston to New Zealand?? Are you denying that reserve will be at least 8 years?? HAHA you guys in Houston are at least 10 years!! AND WITH AFA WINNING MAKE THAT 15 years on reserve! Most of United bases are 15 years on rotating reserve!! sounds like YOU ARE IN DENIAL! I am very happy for United Flight Attendants in their win for AFA!! Good luck Continental...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

camg2014 in Davie,FL, Florida

45 months ago

I believe this is a lifetime opportunity to apply for one of the best airlines in USA,and CO is hiring people,so there will be more people with jobs and no unemployed,and this is great news for me even that they never call me,i will be happy for those who got the offer because those will have a job with no matter what.The airline field is not the same as when I used to be FAA in the past,however once you are in and you taste a bit of it,it is very hard to get away from it,whether Airlines cut benefits or not.it is a great job,an opportunity and more than that, a career to growth as an individual and improve your culture,remember that we live only once in life,there is not second chance.I red all comments here,and all i do is proces them in my mind and get the good ones and the bad ones as well.So, if we have the luck to be call by this Airline,let us enjoy it and taste a little bit of happyness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angha in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

It will take years for both groups to come up with one contract. If your hired on to CAL side you'll be under the CAL contract until we sign an agreement that can take years. I posted something similar to this question further up.

Cal Guy, My apologies! I know it gets tedious answering the same questions repeatedly, so thank you for your patience and indulging me. I'm so excited at the prospect of Mamma CAL hiring again, I wanted confirmation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

borgias in New York, New York

45 months ago

IheartDL in Duluth, Georgia said: Rumor has it that Delta is suppose hire for 2012 classes. Now it's just rumor but we are seeing how many will take the packages too. So comparing Delta to CO Delta has way more offer to a new hire.
7weeks which use to be 5 Pre merger/ 1800 a month for training
Uniform is paid up to around 400.00 anything over is your resonsibility.
11days off and all new hires start off as line holders with only 6 reserve days a month.
starting pay is 20.60 and no cap on monthly hours. Flexible schedule and we offer a preferential bidding system so you create your own schedule. and the one big great offer is we are not unionized. Seniority integration with NWA will result with no furloughs in fact we migh be short staffed and hire more. Keep your eyes peeled on Delta! Best of luck to everyone

i think CO starting pay about 19.99 not sure if that's good or bad for this industry. your comapny Delta sounds great too however when are they looking to resume hiring for non-japanese speakers? so guess that's why so many are excited for CO hiring.

Delta FA Guy in Atlanta, Georgia

45 months ago

borgias in New York, New York said: i think CO starting pay about 19.99 not sure if that's good or bad for this industry. your comapny Delta sounds great too however when are they looking to resume hiring for non-japanese speakers? so guess that's why so many are excited for CO hiring.

Hello Borgias,

There is no word as to when DL will be hiring again. We are currently hiring JP speakers.

COA is a great airline to work for, they've come a long way. Yes, we only do 6 reserve days "Adays" and we do have a lot of flexibility.

Nonetheless, COA is a great airline to be associated with. If you want to find out more about DL, go over to the Delta blog page. As we know this page should only be for COA information.

To all those applying at Continental, best of luck in the interview process and in your career endeavors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

borgias in New York, New York said: i think CO starting pay about 19.99 not sure if that's good or bad for this industry. your comapny Delta sounds great too however when are they looking to resume hiring for non-japanese speakers? so guess that's why so many are excited for CO hiring.

That's more than what new hires started off at in 06-08. 17.50 is what they started off at. All to get hired then later fired over something stupid and petty on probation. Our turn around here in IAD was so extreme it was one after another in and out. Can you imagine making 17.50+75hours paid. Rarely would you get to 90 which is cap unless you chose to waive. Then put up with an abusive low managed heartless company that expected the world of you in turn just to eventually fire you and or pay you peanuts. Welcome to United Airlines!! Delta pays higher than Continental. I have several friends that left United with a few years under their belt and have it made with Delta. Even im jealous sheesh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

If I was younger and had less than 5 years I would take off to somthing better. However with 15years I am barely holding relief lines because our union chooses to keep us industry standard equivallent to 1972 to protect the senior flight attendants. The only thing we lack is carrying around pagers

borgias in New York, New York

45 months ago

lol thanks to the both of you for the insight. i know about zero really on this industry other than "the big names", and figured since i only know about 10phrases in japanese, best to give CO/UA a go and see if i might have a chance there

CO FLYER in Spring, Texas

45 months ago

I have been 24 YEARS at Continental and just finished the yearly training. ( secure for another year !! ) They are setting up for another bround of new hires / training. BUT ... keep in mind that the NEW UAL has 900 + out and that for now Continental has spaces. In the next couple of years there could be a over supply and thus the new hires will be not only on researve but possibly temporarily laid off / furloughed ) Good luck .. as there are interviews going on.

CO FLYER in Spring, Texas

45 months ago

Looks like the "dark hand of AFA" has now takin its wings to the NEW UAL. Hope they can do more now than that of what they did in the past 10 years. I know this that the CO crews will NOT walk the line if the AFA demands too much of the NEW UAL. Managment will send the AFA and the supporters walking and replace them. I'll put $10,000 on that vs. the anticts of AFA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Monica712 in Phoenix, Arizona

45 months ago

You guys have such a wealth of information, we thank you all!!! I was dissapointed in the union vote today. having had AFA for quite some time now, and not seeing any real advantage, I was looking forward to the vote going the way of IAM. Oh well. Calguy,you're awesome sharing all our experience as a rectuiter. It helps a lot. Continental still sounds like a great company to be associated with, and I look forward to this journey. Please keep the positive vibes coming our way!!

45 months ago

I know it's kinda irrelevant, but would it help if I have a private pilots license??? I mean to my way of thinking that would mean an extra layer of safety during a flight.... I mean u never know when an extra pilot might be needed in any given emergency. And by the way thanks calguy for always answering dumb questions lol.

..... in San Diego, California

45 months ago

Monica712 in Phoenix, Arizona said: omg...that's terrible.

Delta will catch up since already there has been posts from current Delta FA's on the Delta forum from few months ago. For example...Debbie Downer who posts while on a trip from various locations....and few others unless they have been removed by now since he knows how to work the system and abuse his co-worked in this industry.

friendlyfriend in New York, New York

45 months ago

..... in San Diego, California said: Delta will catch up since already there has been posts from current Delta FA's on the Delta forum from few months ago. For example...Debbie Downer who posts while on a trip from various locations....and few others unless they have been removed by now since he knows how to work the system and abuse his co-worked in this industry.

I'm sorry, but this seems random. What are we supposed to look out for? The details are vague.

Femme Fatale in New York, New York

45 months ago

FAtobe in Hartford, Connecticut said: I know it's kinda irrelevant, but would it help if I have a private pilots license??? I mean to my way of thinking that would mean an extra layer of safety during a flight.... I mean u never know when an extra pilot might be needed in any given emergency. And by the way thanks calguy for always answering dumb questions lol.

Lets be real here, having a ppl is a world a way from having an atp license (which allows you to sit in the left seat of an aircraft). PPL allows you only to fly VFR - not really much help if a CAL aircraft is flying through the clouds. Flying cessna 172's is very different from 777's.
If you want a career in the flight deck go and get your instrument rating license, multi engine license, CFI, CFII, MEI and your atp license.
In short, if you are choosing a flight attendant career, you having a ppl will have little impact on whether you are taken on by Cal.
Best of luck

45 months ago

Femme Fatale in New York, New York said: Lets be real here, having a ppl is a world a way from having an atp license (which allows you to sit in the left seat of an aircraft). PPL allows you only to fly VFR - not really much help if a CAL aircraft is flying through the clouds. Flying cessna 172's is very different from 777's.
If you want a career in the flight deck go and get your instrument rating license, multi engine license, CFI, CFII, MEI and your atp license.
In short, if you are choosing a flight attendant career, you having a ppl will have little impact on whether you are taken on by Cal.
Best of luck

Femme fatale thanks for the advice. I am "keeping it real" and I'm well aware that a private pilots license is not going to get me a left seat in a 777 aircraft. I'm applying for a flight attendant position not to be a pilot. I just happen to have a license, which I do believe is going to give me extra points. Recently I read an article about a FA from another airline I don't remember. The article said that one of the pilots became ill and unable due to some gastric issue or something, so the captain asked his crew if somebody on board had any knowledge or flight exp. One of the FA's had a commercial license from years ago, so she sat at the right seat and assisted the captain with radios, checklist and other tasks. I'll try to find this article and post the link.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

hmmm the forum won't let me post the link. But type on google "Flight attendant with pilot license" Its the first link that appears, from ABC.

Julie in College Station, Texas

45 months ago

I was wondering, what percentage of reserve flights are international? And how long are international layovers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie in College Station, Texas

45 months ago

About what percentage of reserve flights are international? And how long are international layovers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monica712 in Phoenix, Arizona

45 months ago

..... in San Diego, California said: Delta will catch up since already there has been posts from current Delta FA's on the Delta forum from few months ago. For example...Debbie Downer who posts while on a trip from various locations....and few others unless they have been removed by now since he knows how to work the system and abuse his co-worked in this industry.

I agree, this does seem completely random. I can't remember what I was responding to when I posted "omg, that's terrible", but I really don't understand your response either!?!? What point were you trying to make?

Page:  « First « Previous   5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.