Do they check your 10 years background before inviting us for a face to face interview on any airlines ???

Comments (1 to 50 of 112)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

RYAN in West Babylon, New York

91 months ago

Do they check your 10 years background before inviting us for a face to face interview on any airlines ??? maybe is the reason they take so long....what u think ?

91 months ago

POSH Thank You for your comment

91 months ago

yes , i believe u are correct , most jobs check ur 10 year background before inviting someone to a face to face interview ....

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Yes, but don't they run background checks after they've received your app? Most apps I've seen contain a release within the "Terms of Employment" fine print.

Posh in Los Angeles, California

91 months ago

LIV in Columbus, Ohio said:

Does anyone know when they actually have all info verified?

Before you are sent your packet a few weeks prior to training. They do not send you to training without first running your background check.

Travis in Chicago, Illinois

91 months ago

I am at my second interview with United. I have to sign my education verification release-
I have not graduated High School, nor do I have a GED.

I worked for American Eagle as a Station Agent and passed my background check-WHEW!

But, will United catch this? Is there anyway they will overlook this if I give a killer interview? I already lied in the online application and told them I had a GED, but is it easier to lie about a High School Diploma?

Any way of getting around all this? I am about to cancle my interview, but, I have all the experience and will probably get the offer....

Any advice?

flightdreams in Sabin, Minnesota

91 months ago

I think you already messed up bigtime by lying in the first place. Why didn't you get your GED at least, before applying? I have read in the past that if you get caught being untruthful, you are out the door before you begin. If you'd lie about your education, what else are you lying about?

Ryan in East Long Island in Hamptons, New York

91 months ago

easy for you to say

flightdreams in Sabin, Minnesota

91 months ago

Ryan, why would you make a comment like that? Don't you think it's easier to tell the truth or make it right now? I wonder about some of the comments that are being said. How does anyone know if recruiters read this forum? Aren't you afraid it could backfire on you as far as having a chance to even get a phone interview?

91 months ago

you guys stress to much

91 months ago

First.... I believe Flight Pro is your female innerside Displaced Legal , or vice-a-versa if you are a female......Bottom line you are the same person , one side reveals your feminine side and the other side reveals your male side ..

To Travis ...... well all I can say learn from the mistakes , there is nothing you can do about it at this point and please go to your interview, learn from it . It will come to great help for future FA interviews after you get your GED and who knows maybe you be in luck....bottom line, you got nothing to lose by going , you will gain for it SOOOO GOOOOOO, don't pay mind to this fools

91 months ago

FO' SURE!!!!!!

malti in HHI, South Carolina

91 months ago

To All: Background checks can be done once you summit the SSC. There is a quick hit. Enter the SSC and there you go
your history.

Word of advise to all:
Do not lie on an airline app.
When you are asked "ever" that means ever.
This is a question to see if you are an honest person.

The airlines understand that people do have a past. Some more colorful that others.

I believe with all airlines you need a High School Dep. or GED.

I hope things work out for all of you.

POSH in Los Angeles, California

91 months ago

malti in HHI, South Carolina said: To All: Background checks can be done once you summit the SSC. There is a quick hit. Enter the SSC and there you go
your history.

A background check does not involve just a run on one's social security number: the airlines really do call/fax/email your past employers and references. This takes time.

kkirk78 in Nashville, Tennessee

91 months ago

They check everything on your background...think about it you will have authorization to all secured areas of the airport...of course they want to make sure your not up to no good.

Mary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

90 months ago

Travis in Chicago, Illinois said: I am at my second interview with United. I have to sign my education verification release-
I have not graduated High School, nor do I have a GED.

I worked for American Eagle as a Station Agent and passed my background check-WHEW!

But, will United catch this? Is there anyway they will overlook this if I give a killer interview? I already lied in the online application and told them I had a GED, but is it easier to lie about a High School Diploma?

Any way of getting around all this? I am about to cancle my interview, but, I have all the experience and will probably get the offer....

Any advice?

I had my 2nd interview with US Express, and they notified my high school to confirm that I had graduated from there. If you tell them a GED, they may want proof(either paper or the place that you took the course)

Halley in Singapore, Singapore

90 months ago

I made a stupid mistake when I was 18 years old and I have a criminal record for stealing.

I know it's a stupid thing to do but I've learnt my lesson and I've changed.

I'm now 21, and I'm just wondering if anyone is kind enough to answer my question that if a person has a criminal record, there will be no chance AT ALL for her to be a F/A ?

I guess I ruined my future.

flightdreams in Fargo, North Dakota

90 months ago

Does anyone out there know what the backround check consists of? If you have blemishes on your credit report, is that reason enough for an airline not to hire you as a flight attendant due to the fact that you would be handling money for beverages, etc., enroute? Thank you for any comments? What else on a backround check could possibly disqualify a candidate?

angie in Newark, Ohio

89 months ago

is there anyway for airlines to find out you have a history of drug or alcohol use, but you're sober now even if you've never had any kind of legality problems?

halle in Singapore, Singapore

89 months ago

A FA told me not long ago that if you work in another country's airline, for example Emirates , where they hire people from all over the world, you have to produce a police clearance, whereby the police from your country states that you have no police record of any kind.

What if you have a record, would they still hire you?

flightdreams in Fargo, North Dakota

89 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional, what are they checking for with the 10 year backround check? Does an impeccable credit history have to do with being considered or not? What if your credit is not up to par? I have friends who would be great at being flight attendants, but they are very concerned about being checked for past and ongoing credit history so won't even consider applying. Is it that important if the rest of your history checks out perfect? Thank you or anyone else who would have information on this subject.

ValleyGuy in Modesto, California

77 months ago

I think I can help all you because I have worked for three US airlines; two majors and one regional, and I had to undergo the background check not only pre-employment, but also AFTER working for an airline for seven years, due to the 9/11 hysteria!

1. As far as "pre-employment" background checks, the airlines reserve the right to begin them whenever they choose. I can say for certain that they will NOT bother with the hassle and expense of a background check before the candidate is extended a job offer. When airlines are hiring F/As (which they aren't right now due to the economy), they typically do so in massive quantities; the major airlines sometimes interview hundreds of applicants per week! So, expect a general background/employment check to commence once the job offer is extended. It may start before the applicant begins training, during training or in his or her first few weeks or months of employment. Due to careful working on the forms, you sign acknowledging that the information is all correct and complete; the airline reserves the right to investigate it all at its own leisure, and if it finds contradictory information at ANY time, that can disqualify the applicant. This can (and usually does) lead to either expuslion from training, or termination if the person is already flying.

2. Re: the new FBI background checks, please realize that this is NOT THE SAME as other, lower-level "background checks" you may have undergone at other jobs. This one takes your fingerprints on a LiveScan machine and compares them with the FBI's database.

So naturally the question is: what will this turn up? The answer: EVERYTHING. I believe that the form you sign prior to the scan accounts for the past 10 years of "criminal history", so any arrest and/or court case will almost certainly appear. It doesn't matter if the person was arrested and or/charged with a misdemeanor or a felony.

Be truthful, and if possible, expunge any convictions.

ValleyGuy in Modesto, California

77 months ago

To continue the above comment:

The airlines now are VERY unforgiving about any criminal past when it comes to hiring pilots and flight attendants. This is partly due to the post-9/11 hysteria, but also because, quite simply, they CAN be. For both positions, there are endless, qualified applicants that desperately want the job. The airlines then can be as picky as they want to be.

For ANYONE facing the possibility of a fingerprint FBI background check, do yourself a favor and do the check on yourself first! Again, remember that this is NOT the same as the one-step background checks that you can do online. This involves downloading the government form, filling it out, and taking it to a local police station where they have a LiveScan machine (call around to find where that is in your area). They will mail you the results. These results are EXACTLY what any airline will see when doing the LiveScan BC. It will cost under $100.

FYI, I personally know F/As that have gotten hired by major US airlines with misdemeanors on their record (one DUI, and one domestic abuse). One is still flying, and the other quit on her own.

One sure way to avoid problems if in fact you have an issue on your record is to simply wait out the 10-year time limit. Once that time is past, you can truthfully answer "no" to the pre-BC question about criminal activity in the past 10 years.

Finally, there is the credit-check issue. Here, I'm not an expert, but I can say for sure that credit checks are a real possibility for ANY job applicant nowadays, not just for the airlines. I'm unsure how they use the information, but I personally know plenty of people with poor credit and even bankruptcies that get and keep good jobs, both in the airlines and outside. I get the feeling that applicants' credit reports or histories don't weigh very much on F/A hiring decisions. Perhaps someone with recent airline recruiting experience woould like to add his or her two cents on this one.

annie in Steubenville, Ohio

77 months ago

I'm a flight attendant and at our interview there was a group. We each had face to face time. If they liked you you had to get fingers printed and take a drug test. Once those results were back they sent you to a training class. I was excited when I got to training. I had a roommate and we hit it off at first. Her behavior became very unusual. Talking on her phone to famous people she didn't know. Drinking alot at night while I tried to study. I was very uncomfortable roomimg with her something just wasn't right. I called my husband and told him how I felt and he did a background check on her.......well it came back as arrested for felony fraud by device. I was beyond mad at the company for rooming me with her, all my personal information (drivers lic. Social Security, birth certificate, CREDIT CARDS) The company said her background check came back clean which clearly was a lie.

wanttofly in Atlanta, Georgia

77 months ago

well, i interviewed with an airline on Dec 16th 2008 with a referral from a a-1 class Flight attendant who had connections in HR. They flew me to the interview and everything. I had to pay for my own hotel, and it was also a group session with one on one interviews. I thought I did exceptionally well. After waiting for 4 weeks, i just got a rejection email today. I have a 20 year old arrest out of state and a 16 year old arrest that i told them about and showed the court records that it was in the "dead dockett". The oldest arrest was a bounced check and the 16 year old one was a roommates claim of identity theft. I was not convicted so I answered "no" on the online application and was asked by the recruiter why I answered "no" and I told her because it clearly said "convicted" of which I was not. I don't have $100 for a Federal background check, but will the recruiter release any information to me? I feel like I have been blackballed from all employment, I haven't been successful for more than 6 months of job hunting, and I never had problems in the past. I feel real low right now...can anybody offer any advice. What you have offered is helpful so far.

yasmin in Singapore, Singapore

77 months ago

hi, i went to a qatar airline interview today and i asked them if they do a 10 year background check and the recruitment person said no, they only do medical checks. is that true? i have a really bad credit history.

pcotes

77 months ago

What do they look for when they do a background check. What are bad things that they can find.

pcotes

76 months ago

Wow thanks I think the only thing I might have agaisnt me is my credit 8(

pcotes

76 months ago

Ok thanks the only thing I might have agaisnt me is my credit 8(

marthly in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

76 months ago

yes the comment is helpful ,if a airline will hired someone like that,

stewzoo in Lima, Ohio

76 months ago

If you have had alot of jobs in the past 10 years will this hurt a person's chances of being hired.
thank you

pcotes

76 months ago

No they run the background check after the interview.

a commuter fa from the North in Atlanta, Georgia

76 months ago

To answer your question, I guess it depends on the airline. With my airline the 10 year background is dealing with jobs. Yes, they will call all the jobs to verify your employment dates. Your most recent job, they ask the dates and will they rehire you if you left. For as your criminal background check YES!

I don't know what happen with the lady with the stolen car, but maybe it was not on her report or they looked at it as a minor infraction (no one is perfect)!

Stewzoo, I am going to say yes and no, because it depends on the recruiter. The recruiter basically makes all the decisions!

stewzoo in Lima, Ohio

76 months ago

a commuter fa from the North in Atlanta, Georgia said: To answer your question, I guess it depends on the airline. With my airline the 10 year background is dealing with jobs. Yes, they will call all the jobs to verify your employment dates. Your most recent job, they ask the dates and will they rehire you if you left. For as your criminal background check YES!

I don't know what happen with the lady with the stolen car, but maybe it was not on her report or they looked at it as a minor infraction (no one is perfect)!

Stewzoo, I am going to say yes and no, because it depends on the recruiter. The recruiter basically makes all the decisions!

Thank you for the response commuter fa

pcotes

76 months ago

I think you will be ok plus I think they focus more on ur employment and criminal background. Not so much credit

pcotes

76 months ago

Did you applied to jetblue? How long were you in the AF

pcotes

76 months ago

No not yet (well hopefully) my face to face interview is on thursday. Fingers crossed 8)

pcotes

76 months ago

You too best of luck to you soldier 8)

pcotes

76 months ago

I think I got it they doing bckgrnd check

pcotes

76 months ago

It was def an expirience the interview process I have never been to a group interview def smile make eye contact and be yourself

beloved in Shaftsbury, Vermont

76 months ago

I have a misdemeanor for petty theft about 2 years ago. I am applying for a baggage handler position. I have clearly moved away from that crowd of people and am now getting my masters degree. I speak 3 languages and I am 22 years old and I really want this job. DO you think that the misdemeanor will take away from me getting hired?

dc in Phoenix, Arizona

75 months ago

You must pass a 10 year criminal background check in order to work for any airline. No convictions for any felony charges within the last 10 years.

justplanegrl in PIT, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

Just a question I worked for a someone who was a subcontractor for 4 yrs and I put that on my resume, but he has been out of business for 4 yrs and I have no contact information on him, what should I do?

blackprep14 in Federal Way, Washington

74 months ago

I have a misdomenor for driving with out a licence and was convited and had to pay a fine...IS that bad to even try to apply as a flight attendant?? do they look at that as that really bad?? please let me know!! thanks soo much!

June in Long Beach, California

74 months ago

this is taken directly off of the FAA website, so most airlines should be complying to this -

"Individuals must pass a rigid security/background investigation. The following are types of issues, which are reviewed as part of the background/security check:

* General or dishonorable military discharge
* Statutory debarment issue
* Government loyalty issues
* Evidence of dishonesty in an application or examination process (e.g., falsification of application)
* Drug-related offenses
* Felony offenses
* Firearms or explosives offenses
* Alcohol-related incidents
* Willful disregard of financial obligations
* Derogatory employment terminations
* Patterns and/or combinations of incidents which lead to questions about your behavior and intent"

apple in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

What do u mean by "willful disregard of financial obligations? Do u mean if a person has bad credit/bankruptcy/ or delinguent credit cards, they will not qualify for a job? What if a person is already an employee of an airline, he/she has a lot of credit cards debt that could not afford, later on he/she has not been able to make payments on the credit cards, will he/she be fired? Do Airlines run credit check? If I ever file a bankruptcy or debt consolidation or having credit cards that have not been paid, will I be hired by an airline?? Can u please let me know? I wanna be a flight attendant or an airport agent.

June in Long Beach, California said: this is taken directly off of the FAA website, so most airlines should be complying to this -

"Individuals must pass a rigid security/background investigation. The following are types of issues, which are reviewed as part of the background/security check:

* General or dishonorable military discharge
* Statutory debarment issue
* Government loyalty issues
* Evidence of dishonesty in an application or examination process (e.g., falsification of application)
* Drug-related offenses
* Felony offenses
* Firearms or explosives offenses
* Alcohol-related incidents
* Willful disregard of financial obligations
* Derogatory employment terminations
* Patterns and/or combinations of incidents which lead to questions about your behavior and intent"

ashley in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

I know they check 10yr background once u passed the interview process and drug test. During the training, they will run a background check on you. Someone told me it takes time and it is costly to run a complete background check on anyone. That is why it takes so long. There is a company that the airlines hire to check background. And once u r hired, most airlines redo a background check every 2-3 yrs.

RYAN in West Babylon, New York said: Do they check your 10 years background before inviting us for a face to face interview on any airlines ??? maybe is the reason they take so long....what u think ?

Annie in Steubenville, Ohio

74 months ago

ashley in Houston, Texas said: I know they check 10yr background once u passed the interview process and drug test. During the training, they will run a background check on you. Someone told me it takes time and it is costly to run a complete background check on anyone. That is why it takes so long. There is a company that the airlines hire to check background. And once u r hired, most airlines redo a background check every 2-3 yrs.

Back ground checks are normally done before training starts, in rare cases if your finger prints weren't done right you'll have to redo them in training. Here's the thing if you've ever been finger printed it will show up on a criminal back ground check that is what they go by. The ten year history of your previous jobs is just them calling all the jobs you listed and asking if you worked for them. Commuter airlines are extremely easy to get into. The training is easy and you'ld almost have to be an idiot to flink out. By the time your in training the company has already put alot of money into you and the last thing they want to do is fail you. So if you haven't been finger printed, you write down truthful employers, and can smile you've got a great chance with a commuter. Main line airlines are much pickier than commuters.

Elle in Cleveland, Ohio

72 months ago

They do an extensive background check AFTER you are chosen for training. They go back 10 years and also pick up speeding tickets too. If you fail to disclose ANYTHING and they find out you'll get the boot. Most people don't make it through the 6-wk training period (depending on the airline and their exams). Some are brutal and have to learn all the specific models, specs, and equipment onboard. During training if you get 3 write ups for (e.g.) if women that have long hair and it is not pulled up, or beyond a certain length when it is, you'll get a write up. If you forget to wear a watch, write up. The best advice I can give you is to follow directions, study hard, and have a back up plan while in training in case you don't make the cut. Do not move out of your house, sell your house, or put stuff in storage till after you graduate.

Elle in Cleveland, Ohio

72 months ago

bob in Warren, Ohio said: I know a flight attendant who before she got her job spent nearlya year in jail for stealing a car from a nun, lied to everyone about being deaf due to attacks from rebels in Afrika, received SSD from the Fed for being deaf and valiums for PTSD from the rebel attacks, and carved her own arm up with a knife when her lies were discovered. Now, a few years later, she has cockpit access as a flight attendant while the rest of us are subject to strip searches and cavity checks. So no, they don't do background checks!

She must of had multiple personalities and was "pretending" to be a flight attendant because YES they do conduct strict government background checks for a ten year span. They also pick up speeding tickets! If you fail to disclose information and they find out--you get the boot.

amillion in Loganville, Georgia

57 months ago

bisi0722@yahoo.com in Brooklyn, New York said: My friend just got hired as a flight attendant for one of the major airlines and she doesn't have her GED yet. How is this possible?

who hired her?

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.