Hawaiian Airlines

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 3622)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

sean500 in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

Wow! That's crazy that you haven't had any luck! Keep trying! I have friends who had to apply with carriers MANY times before they got hired. Keep your eye on SWA and DAL. I do not think that either will be hiring this year but probably in 2011. You can sign up on SWA's website to be notified when they start hiring flight attendants again, plus both have bases in FL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gator954 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

56 months ago

It's really not that crazy....i.e. how many FAs do you know who were attorneys????....haha....there are at least two at United....I have been told at other forums that my only chances are the legacies, Southwest and JetBlue. But, I didn't get on with JetBlue. The others haven't been hiring. Ohhh....and I am an amateur bodybuilder....in great shape....so, trust me, my FA friends and I have isolated the issue to the Juris Doctorate issue! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Lol. You are correct, as I never came across anyone who was an attorney. Keep your eye on SWA. I wish that they were hiring.....I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Firefly in Orlando, Florida

56 months ago

Two weeks for a retired paramedic and firefighter. The airlines seem to like us guys at this moment in time. Hmmmmmm. Why not. After all I am Cauc Asian.

56 months ago

sean500 in Houston, Texas said: Lol. You are correct, as I never came across anyone who was an attorney. Keep your eye on SWA. I wish that they were hiring.....I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Thanks bro!

56 months ago

Firefly in Orlando, Florida said: Two weeks for a retired paramedic and firefighter. The airlines seem to like us guys at this moment in time. Hmmmmmm. Why not. After all I am Cauc Asian.

You should be a shoo-in. The airlines are all about safety and Asian-Americans are the number one group they need to hire. Have fun! :)

56 months ago

I don't think they care one iota to the facts that we would definitely chaulk up as "showing dedication"....once, I flew to Portland, OR for an interview with Alaska Airlines (from FLL)...Alaska doesn't fly you either (and probably the airline that is most comparable to Hawaiian Airlines for a myriad of reasons)and I used the fact that I was willing to fly to PDX on my own dime, get a hotel, etc. etc. to have the chance to fly for Alaska as showing dedication and I could tell that they could have cared less about that fact...surprised me but very true. (But, boy did they love those local PDX people)....Since they invited 800 people and are giving offers of training for 6 weeks to 60 people....I think they could care less about the fact of how the 800 people get to their group interview this Saturday.

56 months ago

HPN in Port Chester, New York said: Airlines don't want the legal consequences of having to risk being sued because of biased hiring. Hawaii is an American state and, by law, they have to give EVERY race a chance.

That is why we got offers to interview--there is our chance. :)

ExFA in Roscoe, Illinois

56 months ago

Sean, I see you're in Houston. Atlas Air is one of the best Charter airlines out there. They're hiring for jobs where you have to be based in the Houston area. Why don't you apply with them? They fly a lot of int'l routes if that's something you're interested in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ExFA in Roscoe, Illinois

56 months ago

Gator - once again, may fall under the "overqualified" dept, however SWA has paid internships in their law dept available. State that you're looking to get into another field of law. Who knows, maybe it would lead to a long term position with them!

ExFA in Roscoe, Illinois

56 months ago

Also, if you guys are willing to go with the regionals, they're all hiring. I flew for a (major) one and let me tell you, since those legs are shorter, you can fly up to 8 turns a day (resulting in 16 flights a day!).

Everyone thinks that being a FA is a glamourous job. It's not. You get up early, you get into cities late. You have times when you don't have the opportunity to eat or drink for hours, sometimes all day. Some people can be nice, but many are very rude to you. Sometimes even the pilots are rude to you. You are there for safety first, comfort second. You can spend a while on reserve, depending on what airline you fly with. I think the job was about 10% enjoyment!

56 months ago

Hey ExFa, I will check out Atlas as well. Thanks!

56 months ago

Hey ExFa....that was very kind to think of me! I just had an idea...what do you think of packaging me more like an early retired dude....ready to have a second act in retirement?

ami in Honolulu, Hawaii

56 months ago

herenui in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Wow, thank you Kalei, that is very informative and helpful.

Just a little FYI, I heard that in the 5 days the ad was up, there were 2300 applicants, and 800 were sent invitations for interviews. Of these candidates, there are only 60 positions to fill. These numbers make me nervous!

only 60?? I don't have chance to get......coz my english is poooooooor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ExFA in Roscoe, Illinois

56 months ago

Hey Gator, I'm in my 30's, went back to school for my degree and am currently beating out those young college kids for internships, so you never know ;)

mike in Brooklyn, New York

56 months ago

Jojo. Thanks for the information. I think I will book something around that price range. I appreciate your help, but I hope that they let us know there and then. I am jumpseating to HNL and have to return back to work. I would love to work for Hawaiian!

jojo

56 months ago

mike in Brooklyn, New York said: Jojo. Thanks for the information. I think I will book something around that price range. I appreciate your help, but I hope that they let us know there and then. I am jumpseating to HNL and have to return back to work. I would love to work for Hawaiian!

good luck mike and maybe we might see you there! i leave on thursday.

herenui in Honolulu, Hawaii

56 months ago

In line with HPN's comment, Hawaii sounds fabulous, but trust me, it is also VERY expensive to live here! The cost of living ranks as one of the highest in the nation! You are lucky to find a well-situated studio for less than $1000 and a one BR is usually at least $1300. Once a flight attendant, an insider told me that pay will be $20/hr for a minimum of 75 hrs/month, and frequently on call (which means you might not even work that many hours!). Do the math. Now add groceries and transportation. Honestly it will be financially hard, but there is a reason competition is so fierce-- this job must be worth it if it's so highly sought after!!

In any case, good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aloha73g in Honolulu, Hawaii

56 months ago

No pay during training. HA does NOT provide accommodations. HA's training is very tough. Usually about 60% of trainees pass.

Reserve schedules are bid based on seniority. Being at the bottom you're pretty much guaranteed to be working every Saturday and Sunday. You get 12 or 13 days off per month, 6 which are "Red Letter Days" and can't be changed by scheduling, and 6 or 7 that are "moveable." Generally a junior reserve would work Friday-Mondy and be off Tuesday-Thursday, buts thats just a generalization.

Your assignments would be a mix of:
1. Interisland day trips: 6-9 flights, start and end in HNL, "AM" (5am-1pm) or "PM" (1pm-9pm)....times can vary greatly from this
2. 2 day Mainland trip (overnight to SEA, SFO, PDX, etc).....LAX and LAS usually have different patterns because there are more flights; PHX is 3 days and usually more junior.
3. Turns to PPG or PPT; LAX and LAS can be turns also...these flights are usually senior.
4. International to SYD or MNL...usually 3-4 days
5. Airport reserve, 4 hours, for mainland/international
6. Interisland Reserve Desk: 8 hour shifts, goes VERY senior.....was like top 20 only most of the time I was flying. (this is listed like a flight in the bid packet and is only assigned to reserves if the bid holder calls in sick)
7. Standby.....12 hour shifts, 3am-3pm, 5am-5pm, 9am-9pm. Most of the time you end up in the 9-9 slot and end up working a mainland flight or Interisland PM. The 3-3 and 5-5 slots usually cover the interisland AM flights.

I worked as an HA F/A back in 2006-07.....I think most stuff is the same.

HA is a great company to work for and really treats it employees well.

For those of you worried about them only hiring Pacific Islanders that is FALSE. I am white (but family's been in Hawaii since 1800s). HA has TONS of white F/As. They have hispanic, black, and all sorts of mixes too...just like Hawai'is overall population. My training class had a white girls from San Diego.

-Aloha!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Pay starts out at over $20/hour right now. Per Diem is ~$2/duty hour.

Extra pay for:
1. Language positions (Samoa, Tahiti & Manila right now)
2. Flying as First Flight Attendant (717 and 763/A330)
3. Flying as Lead Coach or Galley F/A (767s/A330s)

Its VERY easy to fly alot, if you want to. I was always on reserve and usually flew 100-120 hours, though 100 is more realistic. Reserve F/As can pick up flights on their red letter days off as long as it wont affect your legality to fly on your reserve days.

-Aloha!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Interview was 3 steps:

1. Group interviews with about 10 people per group. Pretty quick, just introduce yourself then some sort of activity which requires you to think/speak on the fly. They are looking for individuals who are confident, speak well and project "Aloha."

2. Was a computerized "psychological" or "personality" test for me. I have heard it is a 1 on 1 interview now.

3. A panel interview with 3 or 4 people, management, HR, inflight, etc. Mine was VP of Community Relations, Director of Maintenance, HR Staff person and an Inflight Supervisor. This interview was more of your typical job interview with questions about situations you've dealt with and hypothetical, "what would you do if...." questions.

When I got hired over 1,000 people applied, about 700 went through the groups. 200 were passed from the groups to round 2. About 120 made it to the panels and 60 were hired....2 classes of ~ 30.

-Aloha!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ami in Honolulu, Hawaii

56 months ago

Aloha73g,
your posting is A-M-A-G-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!
mahalo!!

oneshot in Honolulu, Hawaii

56 months ago

My friend just got a one-way ticket. Also she got a temporary room from craig's list.
She is not sure how long she has to stay.....I have no idea!!
She is coming to HNL on Friday and enjoy ALOHA life for a while.

jojo

56 months ago

Aloha73g in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Interview was 3 steps:

1. Group interviews with about 10 people per group. Pretty quick, just introduce yourself then some sort of activity which requires you to think/speak on the fly. They are looking for individuals who are confident, speak well and project "Aloha."

2. Was a computerized "psychological" or "personality" test for me. I have heard it is a 1 on 1 interview now.

3. A panel interview with 3 or 4 people, management, HR, inflight, etc. Mine was VP of Community Relations, Director of Maintenance, HR Staff person and an Inflight Supervisor. This interview was more of your typical job interview with questions about situations you've dealt with and hypothetical, "what would you do if...." questions.

When I got hired over 1,000 people applied, about 700 went through the groups. 200 were passed from the groups to round 2. About 120 made it to the panels and 60 were hired....2 classes of ~ 30.

-Aloha!

Mahalo Nui Loa Aloha73g

all the information that you provided was helpful to us all! if you are not working for HA now...what do you do? whatever it is i am sure you are very good at it. again...thanks for the info!

56 months ago

Just one white girl from the mainland was in your class?

56 months ago

Aloha73g in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Pay starts out at over $20/hour right now. Per Diem is ~$2/duty hour.

Extra pay for:
1. Language positions (Samoa, Tahiti & Manila right now)
2. Flying as First Flight Attendant (717 and 763/A330)
3. Flying as Lead Coach or Galley F/A (767s/A330s)

Its VERY easy to fly alot, if you want to. I was always on reserve and usually flew 100-120 hours, though 100 is more realistic. Reserve F/As can pick up flights on their red letter days off as long as it wont affect your legality to fly on your reserve days.

-Aloha!

Your earlier post said that only one white girl from the Mainland was in your class (from San Diego)? Do they hire males too?

56 months ago

My class was about 1/3 male; 2/3 female.

There was the girl from San Diego, a Japanese girl from SEA (family just moved to Hawaii), and a white guy from New Jersey (lived in Hawaii for a few years). The class was a good mix, just like Hawaii's general population.

In all honestly, alot of people from the mainland move to Hawaii and don't do very well. The culture is extremely different. The Japanese girl from SEA had the most trouble fitting in, I think because people expected her to be "local," but she wasn't. Also, with the cost of living here you can't just jump in blindly.

Commuting from the mainland is possible. A few HA F/As commute from SEA and PDX (probably because HA used to have a base in SEA), but I wouldn't try commuting any further than a neighbor island while on reserve.

-Aloha!

56 months ago

If someone were born and raised in Key West, Florida (an island that is a 3 hour drive south of Miami and 90 miles north of Cuba and very diverse too with a subtropical climate)(MIA and HNL have the same weather today---as so often), would they consider that at all as conducive to liking Hawaii?!

Thanks so much for your informative comments---when one looks at the website, one would think that they have to be native to have a decent shot at this---your comments have really helped! :)

56 months ago

Aloha73g in Honolulu, Hawaii said: My class was about 1/3 male; 2/3 female.

There was the girl from San Diego, a Japanese girl from SEA (family just moved to Hawaii), and a white guy from New Jersey (lived in Hawaii for a few years). The class was a good mix, just like Hawaii's general population.

In all honestly, alot of people from the mainland move to Hawaii and don't do very well. The culture is extremely different. The Japanese girl from SEA had the most trouble fitting in, I think because people expected her to be "local," but she wasn't. Also, with the cost of living here you can't just jump in blindly.

Commuting from the mainland is possible. A few HA F/As commute from SEA and PDX (probably because HA used to have a base in SEA), but I wouldn't try commuting any further than a neighbor island while on reserve.

-Aloha!

I would love to email you privately. Aloha!

jojo

56 months ago

ALOHA73g.......

any idea how long before one holds off of reserve?

56 months ago

Really wanted to send you an email in private (trying to decide whether to go or not and there is one big thing I wanted to discuss!) :)

56 months ago

Reserve, as withn most airlines just depends on how much Hawaiian expands after you are hired. Some people hired in the mid 80s were on reserve for 1 or 2 months, some hired in the early 1990s and/or early 2000s were on reserve fore 5+ years. My classmates (hired in 2006) are on the more senior end of the reserves, and the A330 hiring should push most of them to the point where they could hold a line if they want to

56 months ago

Gator954 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Really wanted to send you an email in private (trying to decide whether to go or not and there is one big thing I wanted to discuss!) :)

click on my profile for email address

Sonobene in Brooklyn, New York

56 months ago

I got an email last week for invitation. I wish they assist us in discount flight if not all. flying from NYC is just way too expensive for a risk, best wishes to those who are attending the saturday interview!

blue clear ocean and white sand in West Des Moines, Iowa

56 months ago

Trying to find a cheap flight out of iowa anyone looking for a roomate while staying there to cut expenses in 1/2

Hawaiian Hopeful in Colorado

56 months ago

I called Hawaiian airlines to get some of my questions answered so I could make an informed decision about whether or not to go to the interview. I did talk to someone who did confirm that they do not put you up in a hotel during training. They are the only major airline that does that. It seems like they invite a diverse group to training but then make it as difficult as possible for anyone not local to make it through training. It is also a conditional offer of employment pending your graduation from training, (like any other airline) but it is at your expense for accommidation, transportation, gas and food. Not to mention any other bills you have during six weeks of not getting any kind of compensation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Guy Who Wants To Fly in Phoenix, Arizona

56 months ago

I got to talk to a HA FA and she said they were hiring
for the new airbus. She said they have thousands of apps
and basiclly know who they already want ? What ? How ?
and that training was very hard with a high failure rate
also who they don't like they eliminate that way.
<Whatever> she wasn't very aimable..way old and way heavy
for my taste so much for the Aloha island image. I'm still
giving it a try anyhow. Got nothing to lose cuz I'm
a confident educated model w/a great attitude. I'll give
it a try and I get a nice vacation. See you there soon !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

prev.FA too in Seattle, Washington

56 months ago

Aloha73g in Honolulu, Hawaii said: click on my profile for email address

your info.are very helpful!
just out of my curiousty..could i ask you why you quit after flying one year? after the great deal and the hardest training..?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MIKE in New York, New York

56 months ago

Hawaiian Hopeful in Colorado said: I called Hawaiian airlines to get some of my questions answered so I could make an informed decision about whether or not to go to the interview. I did talk to someone who did confirm that they do not put you up in a hotel during training. They are the only major airline that does that. It seems like they invite a diverse group to training but then make it as difficult as possible for anyone not local to make it through training. It is also a conditional offer of employment pending your graduation from training, (like any other airline) but it is at your expense for accommidation, transportation, gas and food. Not to mention any other bills you have during six weeks of not getting any kind of compensation.

I just wanted to know what was the number that you called? I want to speak to someone at Hawaiian and ask some questions before going over to the interview.
Good Luck,
Mike!

56 months ago

After researching this like crazy, the best analogy I can come up with is buying a lottery ticket---as 60 will be picked for training out of about 800 people that have been invited for the group interview in two days. Of course, it is pretty easy to look professional, be articulate, and project warmth...it doesn't take any advance education, high I.Q.,etc. to be able to look nice, speak well, and be inviting (although an English major, trial attorney, health nut would be near the top! lol). Thus, they will want to hire people with ties to the island (makes sense to me--all other things being equal)...I am sure that 60 of the 800 people will be from HNL---a lot more than 60. It will be rare for someone outside the islands to be hired (a historical fact). Thus, it is buying a lottery ticket--an expensive ticket for some (paying airfare, hotels, food, etc.) a cheap ticket for others (parking fees or a friend dropping you off) and the payoff is making that 20K lottery (roughly your first year salary)--after working for it for 6 weeks. I would love to buy this lottery ticket but at 1100 for the plane ticket, the unknown hotel costs (how long you will stay), the food, etc. etc. and the odds of winning the 20K so low (as the locals have a higher chance of winning, like they hold more tickets than you), I must be logical and decline buying the ticket (the broken heart would be hard to mend after losing the lottery). If it were not a lottery, but a real interview with a 50-50 chance of getting the job and with the other side putting some skin into the game (providing transportation), I would have gone in a hearbeat--as I have enough money to buy a little studio and be the surfer FA I want to be--Florida to Hawaii surfer is an easy transfer! Good luck to everyone who buys a ticket! Rooting for the "underdog"-- people from the mainland who truly would fit in with the island life! Aloha :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I see what you're getting at but somebody has to win
this lottery. When less people play, better chances
are for those of us who <try> to actually win it.
60 outa 800 could be u or me. You look like you've
got alot going for you with your qualz but they are
not what will ultimatly get you the gig, it
depends on how bad u want this..but you gotta try !
I've bought the lotto ticket and I'm on my way,
can't win unless you play..hope more people are
thinking like you about not going out there, thanx
for 1 less underdog to compete against, joking aside
I wish you all the best and hope you get to do what
you really want. You deserve it just like anyone one of
us out here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I also think its great that you want to be a
FA after being an attorney for so long. They
should be lucky to have you.

Firefly in Orlando, Florida

56 months ago

Unbelievably I just got an offer to start training with a mainland company. I was all set to go to Hawaii. I think that any of you that have the inspiration of working the dream job, should chase your dreams. Pragmatism has got the best of me. I was gonna write and photograph this experience. Chase your dreams. If you don't get the job, think of the experience you will have. The new friends you will make and the opportunities this will open. I wish I was there with you!!!!!

56 months ago

I really want you to get it--because you crack me up!...do let me know how it goes bro!...hey, maybe you will get it....and can be a recommendation for me in the future---after we meet in person in Hawaii!

yeah....a buddy of mine always buys lottery tickets and I have never bought one....he has never won...but, I bought KO and PG today in the stock market and made some money today...I am more of the stock market guy than the lottery guy...especially, a lottery where some people buy more tickets than others (remember--the overwhelming majority of ticket holders will have bought their cheaper ticket in HNL---very few mainland people will be there bro).

Let me know how it goes---can't wait to hear! Will keep my fingers crossed for you on Saturday.

56 months ago

Congratulations man.....but, you shouldn't be surprised....you address their number one issue---safety experience!

What mainland carrier will you be with?

56 months ago

Gator have you tried at places like Delta ?
That's my #1 choice, but theyre not hiring
now. I've been on the Delta Flight Attendant
Interview board and it has helped me out
<<tremendously>> There are alot of older ladies
on there looking to join along with FAs who
help out with advice on why I didn't get hired
and what to do. They've got a support group
going and tell it like it is even though it may
not be what I wanted to here. Learned a lot from
them give em a try I'm glad I did. Off to HI I go !

56 months ago

Firefly in Orlando, Florida said: Unbelievably I just got an offer to start training with a mainland company. I was all set to go to Hawaii. I think that any of you that have the inspiration of working the dream job, should chase your dreams. Pragmatism has got the best of me. I was gonna write and photograph this experience. Chase your dreams. If you don't get the job, think of the experience you will have. The new friends you will make and the opportunities this will open. I wish I was there with you!!!!!

How great it worked out dude..thanx for the pep
talk I am giving it a try I'm on the plane right now
<fingers crossed> Looking forward to coming back with
more than a suntan from HI..

56 months ago

I get the label "overqualified"--not many attorneys become FAs. Yeah, I am very aware that Delta is not hiring. My first choice too---being a Southerner fraternity dude. I'm in my early 40s.

When did you interview with them?

56 months ago

Don't know why they would care if you
were overqualfied you get paid the same
as everyone else anyways ? I've found
out there are many folks who do it as
a career change. <I really want it to
be my 1st, just graduating from college>
Early 40's is nothing compared to the
Delta FAs on this flight I'm on..<looks
like none of them are less than 60>
I better stop writing before she boots
me off the plane. Talk to you later.

56 months ago

It's the lawyer label---tons of FAs have degrees and even advanced degrees...but very very few are former lawyers.....remember....people hate us....they want to kill us first as Shakespeare said!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.