Hawaiian Airlines

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 3661)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Aloha73g in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

A friend passed this along to me. It is a recent update sent to HA F/A's regardign their current hiring:

Let’s talk about the upcoming Flight Attendant hiring as this seems to be a hot topic. This time around, we did not advertise and just announced it “inhouse”, so 99% of the 2,400+ (yes, over 2,400 people applied) applicants were “referred” by a Hawaiian Airlines employee or someone associated with Hawaiian. Since we do not have 2,400 positions available, we had to find a way to screen for the top candidates. HR now has a computer system that can analyze a resume, based on the way the applicant answers the questions. After all is processed, the top 750 scores were given an interview. It seems the top 750 had either a fluent language, previous FA experience, and/or at least 3-5 years in a job in the customer service industry. This is the first time we are using this feature in the online application process so we are anxious to see the type of candidates it produces. Please know that if your referral was not selected it is not a reflection that they are not qualified – this time around the competition was extremely high, especially since there were many that had a foreign language and still many more that are ex-Aloha or ex-ATA FA’s that are still out of jobs (so their previous FA experience boosted their score). I know how much you feel for the people you recommend and how uncomfortable it is when they are not selected (as I am in the same boat where the people I know did not get an interview). We wish we could hire everyone that you think would be great FA’s, but with only a limited amount of positions, we had to set a very high minimum standard and take the language requirement very seriously so we can position Hawaiian’s future and be prepared to properly expand should the opportunity present itself.

-Aloha!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

Does anyone know what was the date other than this saturday that they were conducting interviews?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gator954 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

58 months ago

All we know is it is a multi-interview process and can take two weeks long....my guess--group on Saturday, one on one the Saturday after that (if you advance) and then, two weeks after the first Saturday---the final interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

Gator954 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: All we know is it is a multi-interview process and can take two weeks long....my guess--group on Saturday, one on one the Saturday after that (if you advance) and then, two weeks after the first Saturday---the final interview.

I HOPE THEY HAVE ANOTHER DAY FOR GROUP INTERVIEWS. I WAS NOT ABLE TO SWAP MY DAYS OFF AND AM STUCK WORKING ON SATURDAY. THAT MEANS I WON'T BE ABLE TO MAKE IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

I think you are out of luck.

QXFA in Portland, Oregon

58 months ago

I was too envited to the interview, however I am electing to not attend based on the fact they do not provide housing in Hawaii during initial. Understandable, Im sure they prefrence is for islanders, not saying that they wouldn't hire a mainlander.

puakona in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

Aloha73g in Honolulu, Hawaii said:
Let’s talk about the upcoming Flight Attendant hiring as this seems to be a hot topic. This time around, we did not advertise and just announced it “inhouse”, so 99% of the 2,400+ (yes, over 2,400 people applied) applicants were “referred” by a Hawaiian Airlines employee or someone associated with Hawaiian. Since we do not have 2,400 positions available, we had to find a way to screen for the top candidates. HR now has a computer system that can analyze a resume, based on the way the applicant answers the questions. After all is processed, the top 750 scores were given an interview. It seems the top 750 had either a fluent language, previous FA experience, and/or at least 3-5 years in a job in the customer service industry. This is the first time we are using this feature in the online application process so we are anxious to see the type of candidates it produces. Please know that if your referral was not selected it is not a reflection that they are not qualified – this time around the competition was extremely high, especially since there were many that had a foreign language and still many more that are ex-Aloha or ex-ATA FA’s that are still out of jobs (so their previous FA experience boosted their score). I know how much you feel for the people you recommend and how uncomfortable it is when they are not selected (as I am in the same boat where the people I know did not get an interview). We wish we could hire everyone that you think would be great FA’s, but with only a limited amount of positions, we had to set a very high minimum standard and take the language requirement very seriously so we can position Hawaiian’s future and be prepared to properly expand should the opportunity present itself.

-Aloha!

How important that other languages at this time! This means they need only LOD?
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

puakona in Honolulu, Hawaii said: How important that other languages at this time! This means they need only LOD?
Thanks.

Right now they will probably give people who speak Japanese/Korean/Tagalog/Chinese an advantage, but they are not hiring ONLY speakers. If you are a well qualified english-only candidate you will get offered a spot in training.

-Aloha!

mcj08 in California

58 months ago

I applied for the FA position and will be coming to the interview. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I have no FA experience at all but I do speak another language and I have many years of customer service experience. I have read the thread here and the information from all of you was very helpful. Thank you and goodluck to all of us.

puakona in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

Aloha73g in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Right now they will probably give people who speak Japanese/Korean/Tagalog/Chinese an advantage, but they are not hiring ONLY speakers. If you are a well qualified english-only candidate you will get offered a spot in training.

-Aloha!

I was born in hawaii but I grew up in japan. I just came back from japan so I didn't catch up anything at here yet. so I don't have any confidence to get an interview.
so anxious!
I really appreciate for your posting all the time. mahalo^

Gator954

58 months ago

Did anyone receive the "fact sheet"? They tried three times to send me the "FA information sheet" but mine didn't come through. They wanted us to read it before interviews tomorrow.

58 months ago

HPN in Port Chester, New York said: I was confused about the part "you must be willing to relocate OUTSIDE the state of Hawaii". I understood from this forum that most if not all new-hires are required to live at their base. Are they hiring for "out of base". DOES NOT MAKE SENSE IN THE LEAST. Can someone translate?

HA has a small F/A base in LAX (about 80 F/As.....compared to the 1,000 at HNL)

In the past HA has had bases in SEA, SFO and PHL believe it or not.

Aloha!

58 months ago

Aloha73g in Honolulu, Hawaii said: HA has a small F/A base in LAX (about 80 F/As.....compared to the 1,000 at HNL)

In the past HA has had bases in SEA, SFO and PHL believe it or not.

Aloha!

To be clear 99.999999% chance all new hires will be based in HNL. They offer transfers to LAX every few years as people based there retire or transfer to HNL. The LAX base is pretty senior, probably wont grow beyond 80 and flies 1 pairing:

Day 1: LAX-HNL-SFO
Day 2: SFO-HNL-LAX

The 2nd California city changes occasionally amongst SFO, SJC, SMF and OAK.

-Aloha!

eden bird in Freeport, Nova Scotia

58 months ago

I received an email to book an interview about a week ago.
However I was very surprised: On the application, I said "No" to the question about the right to work in the USA. I'm canadian and live in Montreal. I filled the application completely for fun and by curiosity, even if I knew they won't contact me because I cannot work in the USA.
And today, I receive another email with a factsheet attached for an interview tomorrow.
... very interesting! What do you guys think?

Josie1985 in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

I applied and I have an interview with them tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

58 months ago

Gator954 said: Did anyone receive the "fact sheet"? They tried three times to send me the "FA information sheet" but mine didn't come through. They wanted us to read it before interviews tomorrow.

what??? oh i'll check my email...i didnt know about a fact sheet. Thanks!

58 months ago

Wow after reading the fact sheet...The job really is demanding

58 months ago

Gator954 said: Did anyone receive the "fact sheet"? They tried three times to send me the "FA information sheet" but mine didn't come through. They wanted us to read it before interviews tomorrow.

okay i just printed it out...thanks, i wouldnt have known if i didnt see your post...see you tomorrow

58 months ago

Guy Who Wants To Fly in Phoenix, Arizona said: I got to talk to a HA FA and she said they were hiring
for the new airbus. She said they have thousands of apps
and basiclly know who they already want ? What ? How ?
and that training was very hard with a high failure rate
also who they don't like they eliminate that way.
<Whatever> she wasn't very aimable..way old and way heavy
for my taste so much for the Aloha island image. I'm still
giving it a try anyhow. Got nothing to lose cuz I'm
a confident educated model w/a great attitude. I'll give
it a try and I get a nice vacation. See you there soon !

I love the attitude...thats true i mean we all have nothing to lose, plus maybe they'll change their minds after the interviews...see you on sat.

Gator954

58 months ago

Josie1985 in Honolulu, Hawaii said: okay i just printed it out...thanks, i wouldnt have known if i didnt see your post...see you tomorrow

Well, like I said, they emailed me with it three times but it never came through....can someone tell me what it says??? Josie, since I helped you....could you help me? Thanks!

ami in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

Gator954 said: Well, like I said, they emailed me with it three times but it never came through....can someone tell me what it says??? Josie, since I helped you....could you help me? Thanks!

We look forward to seeing you tomorrow for the first phase of the Hawaiian Airlines Flight Attendant Recruitment group sessions Saturday, April 10. By now you should have received an interview confirmation and parking instructions.
Prior to your interview we would like for you to review the attached "fact sheet" regarding qualifications, conditions of employment, relocation, pay, training and benefits. It is very important that you understand the commitment you will be making if you are selected to attend our training program.
If you feel that you cannot commit to any of these conditions please let us know as soon as possible.
Feel free to ask questions throughout the interview process as we want you to be successful in our training program and know the expectations up front.
(Please disregard this communication if you are unable to attend tomorrow due to scheduling conflicts - we will advise at a later date if another group session will be offered)

58 months ago

Gator954 said: Well, like I said, they emailed me with it three times but it never came through....can someone tell me what it says??? Josie, since I helped you....could you help me? Thanks!

i guess...lol...it has info on the position including the requirements, benefits, and working conditions. Let me try and save it to my computer then send it to you...whats your email??? mine is niquej26@hotmail.com, If that doesnt work i can bring you a copy tomorrow...maybe i should sabotage your interview and give you the wrong info :) omg im just kidding...but yeah let me know...thanks again

Gator954

58 months ago

No....I got that (that is why I know about the fact sheet!). The actual attachment did not come through---THE fact sheet. Thanks! :)

58 months ago

Gator954 said: No....I got that (that is why I know about the fact sheet!). The actual attachment did not come through---THE fact sheet. Thanks! :)

I know you need the fact sheet but its a little too much to post on here...so give me your email and i will send it to you...i'll save it again on my computer in a .doc format then send it to you if you want.

ami in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

Gator954 said: No....I got that (that is why I know about the fact sheet!). The actual attachment did not come through---THE fact sheet. Thanks! :)

I thought we shouldn't post the document at any forums.

Gator954

58 months ago

I sent you a couple emails to that address Josie...thanks again...we are showing teamwork! :)

58 months ago

Gator954 said: I sent you a couple emails to that address Josie...thanks again...we are showing teamwork! :)

Hey i just sent you an email with the attachment..yes teamwork, i hope we make it through and work together...omg i've always wanted to be a flight attendant...it would be a riot lol

Gator954

58 months ago

I got it....thanks so much....all I expected except for the big thing that was underlined and highlighted and capitalized!!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

58 months ago

Consolation prize to those who did not attend: the fact information sheet was the usual, typical stuff EXCEPT for the following (well, and except for the fact we already knew--unpaid training): here, is the biggie fact (that was in the middle of the fact sheets and the only thing that was capitalized, in bold print and underlined!):"FA Trainees are not necessarily entitled to a job at the completion of the training period"! Yes, you read that correctly. Thus, the ray of light at the tunnel (a job after the unpaid training)was also snuffed out! And, you got this "fact" hours before the interview---if this fact--which again, is centered, highlighted, underlined and capitalized--would have been mentioned earlier, I would not have applied. I found out about the job on a website that advertises FA jobs exclusively. So, I think everyone should know before they even apply that they may not even get the job after successfully completing the unpaid 6 week training!!! So, that is the consolation prize for us that did not fly to Hawaii! :)

mai mai in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

Gator954 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Consolation prize to those who did not attend: the fact information sheet was the usual, typical stuff EXCEPT for the following (well, and except for the fact we already knew--unpaid training): here, is the biggie fact (that was in the middle of the fact sheets and the only thing that was capitalized, in bold print and underlined!):"FA Trainees are not necessarily entitled to a job at the completion of the training period"! Yes, you read that correctly. Thus, the ray of light at the tunnel (a job after the unpaid training)was also snuffed out! And, you got this "fact" hours before the interview---if this fact--which again, is centered, highlighted, underlined and capitalized--would have been mentioned earlier, I would not have applied. I found out about the job on a website that advertises FA jobs exclusively. So, I think everyone should know before they even apply that they may not even get the job after successfully completing the unpaid 6 week training!!! So, that is the consolation prize for us that did not fly to Hawaii! :)

I thought any airlines are same as hawaiian after complete training. expect unpaid during training.

58 months ago

HPN in Port Chester, New York said: People fail training for a variety of reasons. This particular statement gives one the impression that if you study hard, pass all tests given, and basically prove your worth, that you can still not become a Hawaiian FA for whatever reason they come up with. As an ex AA FA, I successfully passed their training, one of the hardest in the industry and became a FA. Everyone that completed and passed their training BECAME a FA, end of story. This statement leads one to believe that if successful, you still may not become a FA. AGAIN, it's a lot to ask for from a new-hire and then tell them that you still might not become a FA if you successfully pass. It's a lottery ticket and it's a big gamble, not to mention a lot of money to invest in something that is not certain. I would be better off playing the stock market. At least there would be a chance for a return.

I agree with you.
The risk is lower than stock market or open new business!(my $20K gone)

58 months ago

oops, typo. except unpaid....! lol

FurloughedFA in Portland, Oregon

58 months ago

I'm curious to know what happened today! I was invited and had planned to fly out to HNL on Thursday but was unable to due to a family emergency. Details of the day? How many were in the group and how many made it through? Did anyone get any information that hasn't been mentioned here yet?

josie1985 in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

I interviewed today we only did two things thats it. There are 16 people in a group and a total of four groups. Most of them were former flight attendants or already working for the company. They are only looking for about 100 flight attendants. But they interviewed 750 people, so not sure of the outcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ami in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

FurloughedFA in Portland, Oregon said: I'm curious to know what happened today! I was invited and had planned to fly out to HNL on Thursday but was unable to due to a family emergency. Details of the day? How many were in the group and how many made it through? Did anyone get any information that hasn't been mentioned here yet?

I'm sorry for you couldn't make it today. It was a great time.
I forgot to ask "how many ppl coming today?"
Someone told me 650 candidates but I don't think there are 650 appeared.
anybody know this?

Gator954

58 months ago

Sorry....can't make it any clearer..unprecedented that you successfully complete training and then, they could say, sorry, you passed but goodbye!....other airlines also put you up for training (that means house you)and pay for food...clearer? The only thing "customary" is that the training receives no monetary compensation

Gator954

58 months ago

Wow...I know I am an English major...but 4 groups were present and 16 people in one group and 100 hired...that would come up short...and more people would be needed?!?! (and that would not be 750 people interviewed). What is the missing fact?!

Gator954

58 months ago

You keep misreading posts...he said, "I would be better off playing the stock market". I agree. AT&T pays a solid 6.6% dividend yield.

ami in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

josie1985 in Honolulu, Hawaii said: I interviewed today we only did two things thats it. There are 16 people in a group and a total of four groups. Most of them were former flight attendants or already working for the company. They are only looking for about 100 flight attendants. But they interviewed 750 people, so not sure of the outcome.

they are gonna hire 100?
there were 12 people in my group and 13 or 14 people in another group. only two groups at our time.

58 months ago

lol....no no...sorry i made it sound confusing. What I meant was, that is the format or process they were using for the interviews. There were multiple interview time slots, each with an even amount of people that were broken up into four groups, and each group had 16 members.

58 months ago

ami in Honolulu, Hawaii said: they are gonna hire 100?
there were 12 people in my group and 13 or 14 people in another group. only two groups at our time.

yep...the guy who does the training for all the flight attendants conducted our interview. He said that they plan to hire about 100 people. The next set of interviews for the second phase will be this week. Hopefully we receive emails.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Waipahu, Hawaii

58 months ago

They're planning on training 100 but I think they expect to actually hire 60.

Dom in Louisville, Kentucky

58 months ago

Are they anticipating 40 won't make it through training?

58 months ago

i dont know whats up with hawaiian and their intent. I mean if i dont get a second interview at least i made top 750! right??? LOL

ami in Honolulu, Hawaii

58 months ago

if someone got a good news from HA, pls post ASAP!!
I can't do anything! lol

star, in mililani hi

58 months ago

i haven't heard anything yet, does anyone remember how long it will take for the email? and if we get notified even if we don't make it?

58 months ago

star, in mililani hi said: i haven't heard anything yet, does anyone remember how long it will take for the email? and if we get notified even if we don't make it?

Hey star, were we in the same group...group 26 @ 2:15pm???

star, in mililani hi

58 months ago

hi josie, no i was in the last group. do you know if we would still hear from them if we don't make it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

star, in mililani hi said: hi josie, no i was in the last group. do you know if we would still hear from them if we don't make it?

When I was hired by HA in 2006, HR called you to advise if you made it to the next round and to schedule next interview.

If you did not make it, back then you heard nothing. They might email you now since the process seems to be partially automated.

-Aloha!

star, in mililani hi

58 months ago

Thanks for the info Aloha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.