SKYWEST

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3251 to 3300 of 11663)
Page:  « First « Previous   63  64  65  66  67  68  69  Next »   Last »

Tia in Port Angeles, Washington

88 months ago

Amy in Encino, California said: Hey guys! I was reading the posts about driving to SLC and what we should do after training. I am in the same boat! =(
I decided to drive to SLC on Saturday to be on time for training because I live in LA and likely won't be based here as I heard it's very senior. Is that true?
I spoke with SkyWest and they said we could keep our car at the Marriott and not be charged a daily rate. I chose that option so that I could drive to my base after training and at least I'd be half way there already.
I hope I made the right decision! Any one else doing the same?

Amy, I was thinking the same thing! Being half way there on either side of SLC. Anyone have any thoughts on this???

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Tia in Port Angeles, Washington

88 months ago

ORDwings in Chicago, Illinois said: After you graduate, you'll have a few days off before you do your IOE. Once you've finished that, they'll give you at least 4 days before you're on reserve at your base. How many days off all depends on when they are able to schedule you with a lead. After I graduated, I had 5 days off before my IOE, which lasted 3 days. You'll do your IOE wherever you live, so I flew back to Seattle, then deadheaded down to SFO to meet up with my lead/crew, then they flew me back to Seattle. Then I had another 5 days before my first day of reserve. Some people had less time; you are guarenteed 4 moving days after IOE.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your post, I'm sure it helps to clarify things for all of us who've been wondering.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

flyunitedexpress in Lexington, South Carolina

88 months ago

How would any of you say SkyWest is as far a spirit goes(kinda like SouthWest Airlines)?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

DenverDsigner in Englewood, Colorado

88 months ago

It's not like SouthWest. At SouthWest, there seems to be more of a bond between the employees and the company. Also, the pay at SouthWest is significantly higher, and the employees are all around more pleased than most of the other airlines.

Reply - Report abuse

jjace in san diego, California

88 months ago

hey does anyone have any info about the next open house?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

In Denver in Denver, Colorado

88 months ago

Hello.. To what I know the next, interview can be late aug or early sep. In Den. Maybe a earlier one Slc. But not sure. Thats What Diane told me.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jjace in san diego, California

88 months ago

Thanks so much Denver!

Please let me know id u hear of anything in slc sooner! slc would be perfect!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Flya in Salt Lake City, Utah

88 months ago

Denver, I was wondering, do you work for Skywest? Who is Diane?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

In Denver in Denver, Colorado

88 months ago

I sure will let you know if thre any hiring in slc. No I dont work for skywest. But I talk to Diane. Shes the main flight attendant recruter. Shes very nice.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mironader@*****.*** in Cleveland, Ohio

88 months ago

hello! is Sky west hiring in cleveland? thank you..

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mariell in Juneau, Alaska

88 months ago

AH! I would LOVE to fly with skywest! I flew on a CRJ for several years and I really need a west coast base this time... and I got all excited and then saw the 5'0-5'8 requirement! SO disappointed! I'm 5'9!! :( Good luck to all of you about to hit training!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Merita in Milton, Florida

88 months ago

I know it's got to already be here somewhere in the threads but can someone just send me a brief note with the length of training for Skywest (is it held in SLC?), the hourly wage & passing score during training? Seems like they are doing lots of hiring!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Flya in Encino, California

88 months ago

The training is in Salt Lake and is 24 days. You get paid for 65 hours and that is IT... $1.95 each hour for TRAINING. Expect up to 14 hour days... no joke. And you are not getting paid for a lot of the time you are there... example.... you have to take a shuttle to get to class... you have to take that shuttle, not really a choice.... and you sometimes are required to take the shuttle an hour or more before class actually starts... and you are NOT paid for that time. Then you wait sometimes an hour for the shuttle to pick you back up... again you are not paid for that time you wait.... and if the shuttle driver wants to take you on a tour without asking if you even want one(yes, it happened) you are not paid for that time AND you are expected to be nice, polite, and quiet and take the danged tour even though you have hours of homework to do and only got another 4 hours of sleep the night before. This is the reality of training.

You will receive a check for about $700 take home (if you are lucky), depending on how many you claim on your taxes. This is the pay for training only.

You will make 17.50 after you are officially hired. You are paid for time that you are actually flying ONLY. This means when the main cabin door is closed. You DO and are required to work extra hours and do not get paid for that unless you are away from your domicile... in which case you would be paid $1.95 an hour.

The passing score is 80% on the written tests which is simple to do. You can fail 2 times and if you can't pass after the third re-test, you go home. There are tests everyday and homework every night. People complain, but the toughest part is the lack of sleep.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Flya in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Denver, I was wondering, do you work for Skywest? Who is Diane?

I asked because it is obvious you do not. And if Diane were aware of how inaccurate the information you post regarding SkyWest was, she likely would not be happy.
BTW... it seems as though you don't want people to work for SkyWest, otherwise why would you LIE like that and say that it's not a "family" type of atmosphere and pays less than Southwest? Both statements are completely off base and incorrect.

Southwest literally has the worst reputation in the industry, among frequent fliers and among employees.

Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Don't know who Diane is. Also, I have flown for many years and know the industry. Sorry, but Southwest enjoys one of the highest ratings in the industry from passengers, and has for a long time. Southwest is held as a model in the industry for positive employee relations. On a personal level, the Southwest employees I know love the company. Southwest has an employee turnover rate of only about 6%, just about the lowest in any industry.

If you don't want to take my word for it, do some internet research and go on the Southwest Airlines forum as well.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I Just re-read my post that you referred to. I didn't say anything about a "family atmosphere". I spoke of the bond between employees and Southwest being stronger than at SkyWest. No implication that SkyWest employees aren't satisfied, or that SkyWest is not a good company. You have twisted my positive response about Southwest into a negative.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Denver:
You just said in a few posts ago, on this very page in fact, that you knew Diane and that she was the head of recruiting for flight attendants. My point is clearly made regarding the reliability of your information and you made it for me. I already got hired with SkyWest. I am only on this forum right now because I just got an email that someone inquired about the training and I wanted to be helpful... that is all.

BUT you are not working for Skywest and likely any other airline as you seem to have a LOT of time to post and your posts go back to the beginning of the 67 pages here. You should not post inaccurate information or post about other airlines as you consistently do unless you are currently working for them and have up-to-date information that is AccuratE.

BTW you also often times answer questions for people that are entirely un-related to Skywest and speak for other airlines instead, for example your response on shoes and the requirements. THIS forum is for SkyWest and it doesn't help when you answer incorrectly, or out-right lie.

Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Wheew! Don't know where to begin.

What is your obsession with me? You're gone to a lot of trouble to slander me. If you will go back to the top of this page, the post about a recruiter named Diane was from "In Denver". That's a lot different than my name. NOT my post! Get your own facts straight.

All the information I have posted is correct and up to date and if you have accurately researched my posts and bothered to read about why and where my industry knowledge comes from and why I have time to post quick responses, you'd know.

Quite a few of people's posts on this forum refer to other airlines for reference and comparison.

BTW, this forum is not for juvenile personal attacks, and I don't like being called a liar.

Answer this for us.... just WHAT is your REAL problem??

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

wow what's up with this forum?
I have an important question... I got hired with commutair. I don't know what they offer as far as health benefits and travel benefits. does anyone know? i appreciate it if any one knows and do all airlines offer the same benefits?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

mironader@aol.com in Cleveland, Ohio said: wow what's up with this forum?
I have an important question... I got hired with commutair. I don't know what they offer as far as health benefits and travel benefits. does anyone know? i appreciate it if any one knows and do all airlines offer the same benefits?

Hi, have you spoken with HR at Commutair? Airlines, depending upon the size and other factors, differ in the benefits offered.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

no, I did not.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

DenverDsigner in Englewood, Colorado said: Hi, have you spoken with HR at Commutair? Airlines, depending upon the size and other factors, differ in the benefits offered.

No, I did not. It takes them a while to answer. I left several messages. I was hoping to get some answers from the forum.
Thank you for your reply. do you work with any airlines?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

mironader@aol.com in Cleveland, Ohio said: No, I did not. It takes them a while to answer. I left several messages. I was hoping to get some answers from the forum.
Thank you for your reply. do you work with any airlines?

Yes, I am a former flight attendant. I have accepted a job offer with Frontier and am waiting to be assigned a class date.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

My apologies Denver, you are right, I was confused between you and the other person posting with a name similar to yours. I also just respond to these via my email so I don't always go back and look at the entire page before I respond... stupid of me and now I learned my lesson on that! THAT IS MY BAD... and I am sorry.

I was just upset because I thought that someone was making up lies on the forum and intentionally spreading false information. That was my only problem.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

did you work for skywest?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

DenverDsigner in Englewood, Colorado said: Yes, I am a former flight attendant. I have accepted a job offer with Frontier and am waiting to be assigned a class date.

Hi again, did you work for skywest? can you please tell me about the benefits that you had? travel, discounts and health? i am really nervous to leave my job for a F/A and i have a family. i am very excited about the opportunity but nervous. i am not sure if all airlines are similar or not? thank you so much!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Thanks, Flya. It's all good. :-)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Hi, I didn't work for SkyWest, but I know they have the benefits you mentioned. Most airlines do these days; regionals and most shuttles.

The big change will be lifestyle. Any SkyWest FAs want to jump in on this one?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

flyer in Newport News, Virginia

87 months ago

How long before you can reapply?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

coolness in Richmond, Virginia

87 months ago

flyer in Newport News, Virginia said: How long before you can reapply?

Most airlines ask that you wait 6 months.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

flyer in Newport News, Virginia

87 months ago

thanks coolness in richmond,virginia

Reply - Report abuse

Tyrone in Chicago, Illinois

87 months ago

OMG, I got two more days before I go to training. I'm so nervous and exicited!! I am looking forward to meeting my instructors and my classmates. I've never been to Salt Lake City, Utah, but I here its really nice. I also checked out the hotel we will be staying in and it's wonderful!! YaY I'm so excited I just can't wait for training!!!!:)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Can anyone explain to me please what reserve means? Thanks!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Tyrone in Chicago, Illinois said: OMG, I got two more days before I go to training. I'm so nervous and exicited!! I am looking forward to meeting my instructors and my classmates. I've never been to Salt Lake City, Utah, but I here its really nice. I also checked out the hotel we will be staying in and it's wonderful!! YaY I'm so excited I just can't wait for training!!!!:)

Hello Tyrone, do you know anything about reserve and when they base somewhere else other than where you live do they provide you with anything or you have to find a place to live? THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK. My training is in cleveland with commutair on june 7th I am excited and nervous as well, did you have to study a lot ahead of time?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Tyrone in Chicago, Illinois said: OMG, I got two more days before I go to training. I'm so nervous and exicited!! I am looking forward to meeting my instructors and my classmates. I've never been to Salt Lake City, Utah, but I here its really nice. I also checked out the hotel we will be staying in and it's wonderful!! YaY I'm so excited I just can't wait for training!!!!:)

Congratulations Tyrone, I can just about see your smile! You're going to be great!! :-D

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

mironader@aol.com in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hello Tyrone, do you know anything about reserve and when they base somewhere else other than where you live do they provide you with anything or you have to find a place to live? THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK. My training is in cleveland with commutair on june 7th I am excited and nervous as well, did you have to study a lot ahead of time?

Reserve means that you'll be on call meaning that you will not have a set schedule, until you become a line holder and that could take up to six months to a year depending on the airlines. I don't really know too much about Commutair, but with Skywest training, you'll get a dream sheet for you to pick a few bases of your choice. Now, it's not guaranteed that you'll get the base of your choice, because the base you choose might be senior base and if that's the case they will put you where they need you, so when you get to training just ask your instructors, I'm pretty sure he/she knows which base is junior or senior.

Some Flight Attendants live in what you call a "Crash Pad" just in case of where you're base apartments might be too much for you and crash pads are cheaper. Yes, I studied my materials everyday, even when I know everything on the material. I got my training material around April 20th and my training day starts June 1st, so I had alot of time to study anyway!! Congrats to you and I wish you luck in training. I hope I answered all of your question!!:)

Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

DenverDsigner in Englewood, Colorado said: Congratulations Tyrone, I can just about see your smile! You're going to be great!! :-D

Yes, I can't stop smiling for a minute and that's no lie. I'm just too excited about this new career. This career is going to open alot of doors for me and I can feel it!!!:)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Tyrone! Thank you so much.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Tyrone in Chicago, Illinois said: Reserve means that you'll be on call meaning that you will not have a set schedule, until you become a line holder and that could take up to six months to a year depending on the airlines. I don't really know too much about Commutair, but with Skywest training, you'll get a dream sheet for you to pick a few bases of your choice. Now, it's not guaranteed that you'll get the base of your choice, because the base you choose might be senior base and if that's the case they will put you where they need you, so when you get to training just ask your instructors, I'm pretty sure he/she knows which base is junior or senior.

Some Flight Attendants live in what you call a "Crash Pad" just in case of where you're base apartments might be too much for you and crash pads are cheaper. Yes, I studied my materials everyday, even when I know everything on the material. I got my training material around April 20th and my training day starts June 1st, so I had alot of time to study anyway!! Congrats to you and I wish you luck in training. I hope I answered all of your question!!:)

Hello Tyrone in Chicago! you're amazing. you did answer all my questions! No one could ever explained it the way you did. Thank you so much and I bet you are going to be a great F/A you went out of way and explained everything to me. I had no idea how that works. Good Luck again. let us know when you make it. you are going to make it.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

mironader@aol.com in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hello Tyrone in Chicago! you're amazing. you did answer all my questions! No one could ever explained it the way you did. Thank you so much and I bet you are going to be a great F/A you went out of way and explained everything to me. I had no idea how that works. Good Luck again. let us know when you make it. you are going to make it.[/QUOTE

Mironader, oh thank you and I try to be as helpful as I can. I will certainly keep you informed when I make it!!! I'm pretty sure you'll do great in training...Good Luck!!:)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Tyrone in Chicago, Illinois said:

Thank you Tyrone. How is it going with training so far? and how long is it? ours starts june 7th. wen did your start?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

If you have a little one at home 9years old and a teen ager and your spouse that works and you're a women and your family depends on you especially the little one and you have to hire a babysitter but you need that life style change and you got hired for F/A. And... you go to school and you have a part time job that is waiting for you in town and worried about losing that part time job it's in the same school.Student Ambassador. Would you still try to go through the F/A training and just to see how the F/A life is to see if it works out. because it's an opportunity that you think you won't maybe have again? My family wants me to go for it so badly. If you guys have similar situation please advise me and encourage me. I really need to hear that it'll be OKAY to try. Desperate for advice. Than you so much....
The training starts june 7th...and studying didn't start yet.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Something to think about... it's a way of life, not just a lifestyle. You will be away from home a LOT, and if you're not based where you live, you'll be home very seldom. Commuting is quite stressful under your circumstances.

Believe me, it will be a huge disruption in your home, especially if you need to rely on a babysitter. Your schedule will be unpredictable and your child care costs will eat into your pay. You will not be able to keep your part time job.

It sounds like your family doesn't have a lot of info about how seldom they'll see you. I applaud them supporting you in living your dream, but it could turn into a nightmare.

I don't want to sound preachy or harsh, but you will have only one shot at raising that nine year old and being there for your teen. The airlines will be here for quite a while.

My FA friends that flew while raising children found it very difficult, even when the pay was much, much better than it now is.

My son is grown and out of the house, so I'm headed back to the skies.

I wish you luck, and hopefully I and others can help you make an informed decision.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

chgoflygirl in Bellwood, Illinois

87 months ago

Tyrone~
Good Luck!! If you get based in ORD I'm sure I'll be seeing you soon :) Study Study Study! Don't get caught in any gossip and bad behavior in training. Stay focused and make sure you arrive to training everyday with your "required" items. NO GUM, CELL PHONES RINGING, DRESS ATTIRE COMPLIANT and be on time. This includes breaks during training. They are trying to get you used to what it's like on the line. Enjoy everyday and take lots of photos because you are about to meet so many wonderful SKYWESTERS!!! Welcome to our family :) I love it here! Not ONE single complaint. This job has brought sooooo many wonderful journeys in my life.

Reply - Report abuse

passion4flying09 in New york, New York

87 months ago

I cant wait until they have another open session :-)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jennyfurrr in Phoenix, Arizona

87 months ago

apply at mesa airlines, they are always hiring. they arent the best but it will geet your foot in the door to an airline if you havent already gotten hired by one.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

DenverDsigner in Englewood, Colorado said: Something to think about... it's a way of life, not just a lifestyle. You will be away from home a LOT, and if you're not based where you live, you'll be home very seldom. Commuting is quite stressful under your circumstances.

Believe me, it will be a huge disruption in your home, especially if you need to rely on a babysitter. Your schedule will be unpredictable and your child care costs will eat into your pay. You will not be able to keep your part time job.

It sounds like your family doesn't have a lot of info about how seldom they'll see you. I applaud them supporting you in living your dream, but it could turn into a nightmare.

I don't want to sound preachy or harsh, but you will have only one shot at raising that nine year old and being there for your teen. The airlines will be here for quite a while.

My FA friends that flew while raising children found it very difficult, even when the pay was much, much better than it now is.

My son is grown and out of the house, so I'm headed back to the skies.

I wish you luck, and hopefully I and others can help you make an informed decision.

Hey Denver Designer! I really appreciate it so much how you went out of your way to give me advice. I really needed to hear all kind of experiences, it will help me make the right decision. It's really making me very nervous just thinking about it. Should I at least try to see what it's like in case I din't have his opportunity in the future. I am in my late 40 and I don't want to disappoint my kids and my husband because they think they are going to be fine and they think I should go for it. sometimes I think what did i apply even without thinking. I know you're right it is going to be extremely tough. I know it and I have a feeling that it's going to be really hard. every advice is truly appreciated. Thanks again ):

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Don't worry about your age. Many airlines are hiring into the late 50s +. I am at least in that category :-)

Reply - Report abuse

regional FA in Huntington Beach, California

87 months ago

jennyfurrr in Phoenix, Arizona said: apply at mesa airlines, they are always hiring. they arent the best but it will geet your foot in the door to an airline if you havent already gotten hired by one.

NO! do not apply at mesa! i reccommend you wait it out and get hired at a more reputable airline that has a better reputation for providing their employees with a better quality of life.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

amill in Grayson, Georgia

87 months ago

PLEASE DONT JUST WORK FOR AN SUCKY AIRLINE FOOT IN THE DOOR DOESNT REALLY COUNT AS FLIGHT ATTENDANT IT DOES MORE HARM THAN GOOD I KNOW I STARTED WITH MESA SOME AIRLINES DONT WANT PREVIOUS FA SO CHOOSE WISELY AND ENJOY YOUR FLYING LIFE..

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   63  64  65  66  67  68  69  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.